RemedySpot.com

yogurt questions (sorry, sent this post once before with wrong subject line)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello everyone! I am new on the list (I will post an intro shortly)

Some more pressing questions first:

I am making my third batch of yogurt in a box on a heating blanket. This morning I woke up and the thermometer read 114 F (46 C). Did the yogurt get too hot? Do I have to throw it away and start over? It had stood at around 105 F for 12 hours before I went to bed.

The other thing I wonder about is the temperature. These are the different things I have read:

keep the yogurt between

90-100 F (33-43 C) from various websites

100-110 F (38-43 C) BTVC

104-113 F (40-45) the science article in a recent post here

105-109 http://www.whitemountainfoods.com/faqs.htm

This last site also had this info:

>>>> How much lactose (a sugar naturally found in milk) is left in your yogurt? According to scientific studies, yogurt cultures expend 30% of the lactose naturally found in milk. This aspect, along with the helpful benefits of the live cultures in the digestive system, make yogurt more digestible by lactose-intolerant persons. However, the study did not take into consideration variable inoculation temperatures, fermentation temperatures, and fermentation duration. We ferment our yogurt over a 24-hour period. This is much longer than the industry standard, however, if there was no remaining lactose in the yogurt, the cultures would become inactive or die, as that is their main source of energy. Typically, our yogurt has 6 grams of lactose per 1 cup serving.<<<<

When BTVC recommends 24 hours, does that mean the lactose is gone but the culture is still alive for awhile longer? I am asking because I experience stomache pain when I eat the yogurt and my liver feels all swollen and have been wondering about that. Could it be the yogurt? I think the lactose has been high in the yogurt I have made so far because the temperature has been too low (the first batches were made at around 95-100F).

thanks in advance to any answers!

best wishes

Cecilia in Europe

on SCD since 1 week

but grain-free for ~7 years