RemedySpot.com

Re: Hi...we're new!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Welcome Therese,

I just would like to give you one advice: please wait with introduction of almond flour in your daughter's diet. Be very careful. Please check website www. pecanbread.com for staging in introduction of foods.

It is much easier to reach results on the diet if you start with easy to digest options ( this was the case for me). I could not digest almond flour until after 5 months being on the diet.

I hope it helps,

Subject: Hi...we're new!To: BTVC-SCD Date: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 11:23 AM

Hi...I am new and wanted to introduce myself...I am Therese and my daughter Kayla is 13 1/2 years old and hasUlcerative Colitis. She was diagnosed just over two years ago. Shehas been hospitalized quite a few times, and has been on every med outthere just about. She is currently on Humira and just got out of thehospital this past Friday after a 9 day stay. The dr. has me doingthe Humira injections every week now. She is also on 40 mg. ofPrednisone since leaving the hospital. We have decided to give theSCD a shot. I would love to hear success stories and especially wordsof encouragement from parents of kids on this diet. It is hard with ateenager, but she is determined to try it! She actually said to metoday after leaving the doctors office that all she wants forChristmas is to be healthy and not have to go into the hospital again.:( My daughter is only 78 pounds so I am wondering in the

beginningof the diet, how she is supposed to get all the calories she needs?Also, my dr. suggested putting her on Centrum for kids so she gets thevitamins she needs. We are starting with the intro diet and my yogurtmaker should be here today, and my almond flour tomorrow. I cannotfind the dry curd cottage cheese anywhere! We live in the Tampa areaof FL. I have tried Publix, Walmart, Winn Dixie, Fresh Market andanother health food grocery store over here. Any suggestions?Thanks in advance for any advice, encouragement, ideas for the dietetc..!!Therese

Thank you ! Someone else just wrote me with the same advice. What

do we do for lunches for school? any ideas? We can use the yogurt

right away right?

Thank you!

Therese

>

>

> Subject: Hi...we're new!

> To: BTVC-SCD

> Date: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 11:23 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi...I am new and wanted to introduce myself...

>

> I am Therese and my daughter Kayla is 13 1/2 years old and has

> Ulcerative Colitis. She was diagnosed just over two years ago. She

> has been hospitalized quite a few times, and has been on every med out

> there just about. She is currently on Humira and just got out of the

> hospital this past Friday after a 9 day stay. The dr. has me doing

> the Humira injections every week now. She is also on 40 mg. of

> Prednisone since leaving the hospital. We have decided to give the

> SCD a shot. I would love to hear success stories and especially words

> of encouragement from parents of kids on this diet. It is hard with a

> teenager, but she is determined to try it! She actually said to me

> today after leaving the doctors office that all she wants for

> Christmas is to be healthy and not have to go into the hospital again.

> :( My daughter is only 78 pounds so I am wondering in the beginning

> of the diet, how she is supposed to get all the calories she needs?

> Also, my dr. suggested putting her on Centrum for kids so she gets the

> vitamins she needs. We are starting with the intro diet and my yogurt

> maker should be here today, and my almond flour tomorrow. I cannot

> find the dry curd cottage cheese anywhere! We live in the Tampa area

> of FL. I have tried Publix, Walmart, Winn Dixie, Fresh Market and

> another health food grocery store over here. Any suggestions?

>

> Thanks in advance for any advice, encouragement, ideas for the diet

> etc..!!

>

> Therese

>

Therese,

I really want to agree with what said -- start slowly, and avoid the almond flour for awhile (try to deep-freeze it while you wait -- although it will last well in the refrigerator too, but will take up space -- I find SCD to be a refrigerator-intensive diet!) It's all chicken and carrots to begin with! But that only for the first few days, and then you can add any other meat and lots of other vegetables. Fruits will come later (except that I could eat ripe banana pancakes successfully after the first 2 days, which are made of ripe bananas and eggs). I also ate hard-boiled eggs at first, to have something that seemed " snacky " . I didn't try almond flour until about 3 months into the diet. I did try another nut product (peanut butter - which is admittedly very advanced) at about 3 weeks into the diet and got REALLY sick. See

http://www.pecanbread.com/new/scdfoods1.html#beyond for a comprehensive plan to introduce foods on the diet.

I'm not a parent of a dieter, though I did try both my children on the diet last summer -- but I was doing it for autism and autism-like symptoms, not UC (which is what I have) so I'm not much help to you there. Of course, if you haven't already, be sure to read all of Breaking the Vicious Cycle -- this diet was invented for a young girl with UC who sounds a lot like your daughter, so have your daughter read it too. Hopefully you'll get other parents to respond. Good luck to you and your daughter!!

Ann (from Iowa)

10b. Re: Hi...we're new! Posted by: " Derbij " pmazd@... pmazd Date: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:52 am ((PST))

Welcome Therese, I just would like to give you one advice: please wait with introduction of almond flour in your daughter's diet. Be very careful. Please check website www. pecanbread.com for staging in introduction of foods.

It is much easier to reach results on the diet if you start with easy to digest options ( this was the case for me). I could not digest almond flour until after 5 months being on the diet. I hope it helps,

Subject: Hi...we're new!To: BTVC-SCD

Date: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 11:23 AM

Hi...I am new and wanted to introduce myself...

I am Therese and my daughter Kayla is 13 1/2 years old and hasUlcerative Colitis. She was diagnosed just over two years ago. Shehas been hospitalized quite a few times, and has been on every med outthere just about. She is currently on Humira and just got out of the

hospital this past Friday after a 9 day stay. The dr. has me doingthe Humira injections every week now. She is also on 40 mg. ofPrednisone since leaving the hospital. We have decided to give theSCD a shot. I would love to hear success stories and especially words

of encouragement from parents of kids on this diet. It is hard with ateenager, but she is determined to try it! She actually said to metoday after leaving the doctors office that all she wants forChristmas is to be healthy and not have to go into the hospital again.

:( My daughter is only 78 pounds so I am wondering in the beginningof the diet, how she is supposed to get all the calories she needs?Also, my dr. suggested putting her on Centrum for kids so she gets thevitamins she needs. We are starting with the intro diet and my yogurt

maker should be here today, and my almond flour tomorrow. I cannotfind the dry curd cottage cheese anywhere! We live in the Tampa areaof FL. I have tried Publix, Walmart, Winn Dixie, Fresh Market andanother health food grocery store over here. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice, encouragement, ideas for the dietetc..!!

Therese

Messages in this topic (2)

> >

> > From: Therese Fuhrman <mugsymagoos@>

> > Subject: Hi...we're new!

> > To: BTVC-SCD

> > Date: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 11:23 AM

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hi...I am new and wanted to introduce myself...

> >

> > I am Therese and my daughter Kayla is 13 1/2 years old and has

> > Ulcerative Colitis. She was diagnosed just over two years ago. She

> > has been hospitalized quite a few times, and has been on every

med out

> > there just about. She is currently on Humira and just got out of

the

> > hospital this past Friday after a 9 day stay. The dr. has me doing

> > the Humira injections every week now. She is also on 40 mg. of

> > Prednisone since leaving the hospital. We have decided to give the

> > SCD a shot. I would love to hear success stories and especially

words

> > of encouragement from parents of kids on this diet. It is hard

with a

> > teenager, but she is determined to try it! She actually said to me

> > today after leaving the doctors office that all she wants for

> > Christmas is to be healthy and not have to go into the hospital

again.

> > :( My daughter is only 78 pounds so I am wondering in the

beginning

> > of the diet, how she is supposed to get all the calories she

needs?

> > Also, my dr. suggested putting her on Centrum for kids so she

gets the

> > vitamins she needs. We are starting with the intro diet and my

yogurt

> > maker should be here today, and my almond flour tomorrow. I cannot

> > find the dry curd cottage cheese anywhere! We live in the Tampa

area

> > of FL. I have tried Publix, Walmart, Winn Dixie, Fresh Market and

> > another health food grocery store over here. Any suggestions?

> >

> > Thanks in advance for any advice, encouragement, ideas for the

diet

> > etc..!!

> >

> > Therese

> >

>

Hi Kathy,

I think you wrote in an earlier post about low iron. Have you asked a

moderator like Kay or Marilyn to look over what she's eating? Just

curious on the amount of nut flours/raisins or dry fruit/if other

fruit/veggies are cooked, peeled and deseeded.

Debbie 39 cd

Therese,

I just read your email.

My daughter is 13 1/2 also and on this diet.

She was diagnosed with celiac disease 2 years ago. She had extreme anxiety and then found out she had celiac disease. So for Rach, there is a definite brain/bowel connection.

Everything was going along ok until this summer and anxiety over the top again. Turns out she has an overgrowth of bacteria in her small intestine and the nutritionist said to do this diet.

We didn't do the intro. We just went right into the legal foods. She had not been to school all this school year due to the anxiety. She was doing better with the anxiety and is on paxil also. So she started going to school 2 weeks ago for the first time this school year. She's been taking baby steps to get back and doing ok. but right at that week to go back, she got diarrhea. and had never really had D with the celiac or anything. It was probably the stress of going to school that caused the 3 month flare that I keep reading about on here. So, we then went and did the intro diet for 5 days. Within 1 meal of the intro diet, her D pretty much stopped. I was amazed. We are now in the stage 1 of the diet and need to forge ahead and go to stage 2. She's getting bored with the diet. She says she's never felt all that great since we started it in Sept/Oct. If she felt great on it, then eating this way wouldn't be so bad. I feel like

it's a day to day thing of how she'll feel. And it's really stressing me out.

I'm still not sure what I'm doing on this diet, even a few months into it. And I'm still not 100% convinced we're on the right track. But we are plugging away.

I just wanted to write to say that I know where you are coming from. I'd love to help you in any way.

For lunch now at school, she's taking leftovers from the night before and heating them up. Today she took pork chops and veggies and baked apples. She wants to fit in and be like everyone else eating normal stuff, but she also wants to get better. So, she's been a trooper and doing what needs to be done. Christmas is hard though. She didn't help me with cookie baking this weekend because she can't eat them anyway. So that's where my depression kicks in. It's the first time she's never helped with cookies. Needless to say, I cry alot.

She also said yesterday what your daughter said. Her Christmas wish is for her stomach to be better and for her to eat whatever she wants. (She wishes she could be back on the gluten free diet which was much easier than this.)

We also found out in the last few months that her food intolerances are dairy and egg whites and a few other things, so that makes cooking more complicated also. And she can't have the homemade yogurt, etc.

So, like I said, I'm sure I didn't encourage you. and I apologize for that. I just wanted you to know that we're in the same boat, sort of.

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:23:19 AMSubject: Hi...we're new!

Hi...I am new and wanted to introduce myself...I am Therese and my daughter Kayla is 13 1/2 years old and hasUlcerative Colitis. She was diagnosed just over two years ago. Shehas been hospitalized quite a few times, and has been on every med outthere just about. She is currently on Humira and just got out of thehospital this past Friday after a 9 day stay. The dr. has me doingthe Humira injections every week now. She is also on 40 mg. ofPrednisone since leaving the hospital. We have decided to give theSCD a shot. I would love to hear success stories and especially wordsof encouragement from parents of kids on this diet. It is hard with ateenager, but she is determined to try it! She actually said to metoday after leaving the doctors office that all she wants forChristmas is to be healthy and not have to go into the hospital again.:( My daughter is only 78 pounds so I am wondering in the

beginningof the diet, how she is supposed to get all the calories she needs?Also, my dr. suggested putting her on Centrum for kids so she gets thevitamins she needs. We are starting with the intro diet and my yogurtmaker should be here today, and my almond flour tomorrow. I cannotfind the dry curd cottage cheese anywhere! We live in the Tampa areaof FL. I have tried Publix, Walmart, Winn Dixie, Fresh Market andanother health food grocery store over here. Any suggestions?Thanks in advance for any advice, encouragement, ideas for the dietetc..!!Therese

Hi, me again.

I just felt like I was such a downer just now with what I wrote to you.

I've realized lately that I'm a pessimist in a lot of ways, and I hate that.

You have to understand that I've been dealing with this stress since July and even though she's starting to get back to school, I won't be able to relax until she graduates from HS.

I'm kidding (sort of).

Anyway, I just wanted to say that this blog is great. And the diet seems to have helped so many people. Your daughter doesn't have what my daughter has so we can't really compare the 2. I know you'll find a lot of help on here. These people are great. They respond to questions quickly.

As far as weight gain, that's a concern I have right now with also.

As far as the dry curd cottage cheese, I can find it at Jewel or Meijer. You probably don't have a Meijer by you. It's more Michigan based. I'm in Chicago area. But technically Rach can't have it anyway since she has the dairy intolerance.

My advice would be to start slowly like a few have said to you to do. They told me it's like treating your daughter's stomach like an infant's stomach. You do the intro first and then the stages. That's really the best way to go.

I hope I redeemed myself a little by writing back. Obviously I wouldn't be doing this diet for her if I didn't think it would help. The gastro doc couldn't find anything wrong with Rach in Sept. It was the nutritionist who found the bacterial overgrowth and put Rach on this diet. So, like I said, we just keep plugging away on it.

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:23:19 AMSubject: Hi...we're new!

>

> We didn't do the intro. We just went right into the legal foods.  She had not

been to

school all this school year due to the anxiety. She was doing better with the

anxiety and is

on paxil also. So she started going to school 2 weeks ago for the first time

this school

year. She's been taking baby steps to get back  and doing ok. but right at that

week to go

back, she got diarrhea. and had never really had D with the celiac or anything.

It was

probably the stress of going to school that caused the 3 month flare that I keep

reading

about on here. So, we then went and did the intro diet for 5 days. Within 1 meal

of the

intro diet, her D pretty much stopped. I was amazed.  We are now in the stage 1

of the

diet and need to forge ahead and go to stage 2. She's getting bored with the

diet. She says

she's never felt all that great since we started it in Sept/Oct. If she felt

great on it, then

eating this way wouldn't be so bad. I feel like it's a day to day

> thing of how she'll feel. And it's really stressing me out.

True, it is a day to day thing - but you have to think of progress being made.

I.e. the fact that your daughter can now attend school to some extent -

that's real, measurable progress.

BTW, have you guys tried anti-fungals to help target the bacterial over-

growth?

The coconut oil, for one is a natural antimicrobial. So keep on using

that. Garlic is also very, very helpful. And here is a list of other

antifungals from pecanbread.

http://www.pecanbread.com/new/Sup1.html

NATURAL ANTIFUNGALS

Natural antifungals include garlic, oil of oregano (OoO), Olive leaf extract

(OLE), caprylic

acid, Grapefruit seed extract (GSE).

The natural antifungals should be rotated.

_____

And this info is also helpful:

http://pecanbread.com/new/yeast.html

Your nutritionist may already be suggesting some of this, but if not,

I think you would probably find this stuff helpful. Just make sure you

buy ones that are legal by checking their ingredients.

For instance, for oil of oregano, there is a company that makes

something called oreganol, which is high quality that you should

be able to find at a health food store. Etc.

Mara