>Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:32:58 -0400

>

>Subject: Re: Re: sugar

>To: BTVC-SCD

>

> thank you - fruit would be eliminated in the

> no sugar effort as well. The real goal is to

> eliminate fructose.

> Although I believe I could try a low fructose fruit?

> Not sure what That would be!

berries.

Mara

>

>

>

> >

>

> Hello Spencer:

>

> I've done without! sugar of any kind, even honey,

> for a couple of years

> before starting on SCD. If you eat fruit, you have

> all the good sugar

> that your body needs and you'll feel better. It is

> difficult at first,

> but you CAN DO IT!!!

>

>

> GERDS and chronic C

> SCD 5 months

>

>

I think it would be fine to forgo fruits and honey for several years. Your body will tell you.Many holistic practitioners recommend limiting fruit to one little serving (ie. a single plum) or less per day, and even then, only when in season locally. Where I live, that would be no fruit from October to June. Except on very hot days, my body loves it when I have no fruit and no honey.Many people --entire nations-- have lived without fruit and honey for their entire lives: Inuit, etc. In fact, the relatively recent intro of fruit, honey, etc, messed their health up.You still get lots of sugars and carbs from veggies, so that's not an issue. Fats are a boon to many (though not all) of us, and give lots of energy. (On the GAPShelp list, one member is a fitness instructor

--jumping up and down for 3-4 hours per day, and she's doing great.) Are you able to take in lots of fats?By the way, Spencer: The other day I happened to describe your brain symptoms to my sister, who noted she had almost the exact same experience a few years ago. She was diagnosed by her mainstream doc as having parasites --Blastocystus Hominus (sp???) and another. They weren't "supposed to" cause this degree of symptoms, but they did. She took meds to kill them and was finally totally fine again. What prompted her to get checked for parasites was a friend who had *also* had these symptoms, was diagnosed, treated and freed. (Specifically, especially upon eating they would get very woozy, mind would kind of shut down, etc.) Baden_

thanks for your response!i am now joining the ranks of ultra low/zero fructose (and sugar)i haven't had much luck with veggies yet but i believe that i have been gravitating towards high-fructan vegetables which wouldpotentially aggravate a fructose intolerance - so i am researching veggies that are lower in fructans (and fiber)i am also testing my ability to take in fats. my instinct is that yes i am okay with fats but the testing will begin now as i reduce the honey to basically nil and need other foods to stay functionaland regarding your sis! i had a positive test for blastocystis hominis. i was treated with flagyl and it was at that time that i felt truly cured for the first time (in 17 years)the symptoms came back. the docs think that the flagyl was reducing the gas/bacteria which contributed to my symptoms, even though it probably also eradicated the blasto.my gastro thinks that blasto is a pathogen, although that is controversial. i think something like 75% of the population has that parasite with no symptoms whatsoever.the site badbugs.org is a clearinghouse for blasto information that will convince you you have it too (so beware)i did a followup course of a drug called alinia which is 95% effective in eradicating BH. on that drug, i felt amazing for 1 day. symptoms returned and stayed after i ate a high fiber salad.i am assuming i no longer have this parasite. if it turns out that all of my efforts to identify dietary issues are in vain, i will be retested for blasto using a lab here in NYC called "jetti katz"they are the gold standard in parasite testing and they are who the UN uses and all the major multinational corps . . . they do it differently than standard labs.bestspencerI think it would be fine to forgo fruits and honey for several years. Your body will tell you.Many holistic practitioners recommend limiting fruit to one little serving (ie. a single plum) or less per day, and even then, only when in season locally. Where I live, that would be no fruit from October to June. Except on very hot days, my body loves it when I have no fruit and no honey.Many people --entire nations-- have lived without fruit and honey for their entire lives: Inuit, etc. In fact, the relatively recent intro of fruit, honey, etc, messed their health up.You still get lots of sugars and carbs from veggies, so that's not an issue. Fats are a boon to many (though not all) of us, and give lots of energy. (On the GAPShelp list, one member is a fitness instructor --jumping up and down for 3-4 hours per day, and she's doing great.) Are you able to take in lots of fats?By the way, Spencer: The other day I happened to describe your brain symptoms to my sister, who noted she had almost the exact same experience a few years ago. She was diagnosed by her mainstream doc as having parasites --Blastocystus Hominus (sp???) and another. They weren't "supposed to" cause this degree of symptoms, but they did. She took meds to kill them and was finally totally fine again. What prompted her to get checked for parasites was a friend who had *also* had these symptoms, was diagnosed, treated and freed. (Specifically, especially upon eating they would get very woozy, mind would kind of shut down, etc.) Baden_

---- Original message ----

>Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:18:22 -0400

>

>Subject: Re: sugar

>To: BTVC-SCD

>

> thanks for your response!

> i am now joining the ranks of ultra low/zero

> fructose (and sugar)

> i haven't had much luck with veggies yet but i

> believe that i have been gravitating towards

> high-fructan vegetables which would

> potentially aggravate a fructose intolerance - so i

> am researching veggies that are lower in fructans

> (and fiber)

I'd stop eating the larabars before I began zero

fructose. First of all, larabars have dates, and

there doesn't appear to be a fruit that has more

fructose than dates. Second of all, not everyone

tolerates the manufacturing process used by larabars,

despite the fact that they appear to be legal.

They should be used - if tolerated - only as a very,

very advanced food.

Mara

thank you---- Original message ---->Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:18:22 -0400> >Subject: Re: sugar >To: BTVC-SCD >> thanks for your response!> i am now joining the ranks of ultra low/zero> fructose (and sugar)> i haven't had much luck with veggies yet but i> believe that i have been gravitating towards> high-fructan vegetables which would> potentially aggravate a fructose intolerance - so i> am researching veggies that are lower in fructans> (and fiber)I'd stop eating the larabars before I began zerofructose. First of all, larabars have dates, andthere doesn't appear to be a fruit that has morefructose than dates. Second of all, not everyonetolerates the manufacturing process used by larabars,despite the fact that they appear to be legal.They should be used - if tolerated - only as a very,very advanced food. Mara

• 4 months later...

I ate some thing that had sugar in it by mistake. The symptoms I experienced are not like before. No w am experiencing diareeha, feel like I was run over by a mac truck, every muscle in my body aches. am more nervous, sleeping more and all I can think of is because of the sugar...usually with sugar I end up throwing up and it is not good because the flora int he gut is diff.Can sypmtoms change.

-- JHscd 4 yearscd