RemedySpot.com

2 latke recipes from the NYTimes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hanukah latke recipes from the NYTimes.Just use a nut flour of your choice instead of the matzoh meal:http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D06E5D7113CF937A35751C1A960958260 & sec= & spon= & pagewanted=2Old Jerusalem Zucchini Pancakes Adapted from ''The Delights of Jerusalem'' by Rena Valero (Steimatzky, 1985) Total time: 1 hour 6 zucchini (3 pounds) Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste 1 onion, peeled and diced 2 tablespoons chopped parsley 2 tablespoons chopped dill 2 large eggs 1/2 cup matzoh meal 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and oil for frying. 1. Grate the unpeeled zucchini, place over a strainer, sprinkle with salt and drain for a half-hour. Squeeze to remove remaining liquid. 2. In a mixing bowl, place the zucchini, salt and pepper, onion, parsley, dill, eggs, matzoh meal and 1 tablespoon oil. Form into small patties. 3. In a heated skillet, pour a thin layer of vegetable oil. When sizzling, fry the pancakes for a few minutes on each side. Drain and serve. Yield: 20 patties. LEEK LATKES http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E06E1DC153DF935A25751C1A96E958260Adapted from Israel Aharoni Time: 1 hour 6 leeks (about 2 pounds) 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for frying 1 large onion, peeled and diced 6 cloves garlic, or to taste, peeled and diced 4 shallots, peeled and diced 1/3 cup pine nuts 1/2 bunch cilantro (about 1 cup), diced 2 large eggs 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste 1/2 cup bread crumbs or matzoh meal, plus 1/3 cup for coating. 1. Cut leeks lengthwise, and wash them well to remove any grit. Dice the leeks, and either steam them or place them in boiling salted water for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until they are tender. Drain leeks well, pressing them in a dish towel to remove any excess water.2. Heat oil in nonstick frying pan, and add onion, garlic and shallots. Saute until soft, about 5 minutes.3. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place pine nuts on a baking pan, and toast for a few minutes until evenly browned.4. Place leeks, onion, garlic, shallots, pine nuts, cilantro, eggs and cheese in a mixing bowl, and blend well, adding salt and pepper to taste. Add about 1/2 cup bread crumbs, or enough to bind.5. Take about 1/4 cup of the leek mixture, and make a patty 2 inches in diameter. Coat patty with bread crumbs, and repeat with remaining mixture.6. Coat a nonstick frying pan thinly with remaining olive oil, and fry the patties for a few minutes on each side. (For cocktail-size patties, use 1 teaspoon of mixture.) Drain on paper towels.

Happy Hanukah Mara and everybody else who celebrates.

Thanks for posting these recipes. Have you actually made latkes, just substituting almond flour or other nut flour for the matzo meal? I was planning to do that with one of my zucchini latke recipes.

I haven't had time yet, as I am busy baking SCD-legal treats to share, plus preparing foods for my lunch and for my dinner side dishes, to take to my husband's family get-together tomorrow.

Fortunately, there are still a few more days of Hanukah left for me to celebrate with latkes. This is the recipe I will probably try, substituting ground blanched almonds for the 1/2 cup matzo meal. I will ignore the instruction about putting only 1 tbsp oil in the pan at a time. The latkes need hot oil to fry, and it should cover the entire surface of the pan.

* Exported from MasterCook * Zucchini-and-Carrot LatkesRecipe By : Marsha Rosen, in Chatelaine, Dec. 1996, p. 123Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:25Categories : Hanukkah Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method-------- ------------ -------------------------------- 2 medium zucchini 1 teaspoon salt 2 carrots -- peeled 1/2 medium onion 1 garlic clove -- crushed 2 tablespoons chopped parsley 1 egg -- beaten 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 1/4 teaspoon salt pinch black pepper 2 tablespoons vegetable oil1. Grate zucchini and place in colander over sink.Stir in 1 teaspoon salt.Let drain while continuing with recipe.2. Grate carrots and onion into a medium-size bowl.Stir in garlic, parsley, and egg until blended.In a small bowl, stir flour with 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pinch of blackpepper.3. When zucchini has drained 15 minutes, scoop up handfuls andsqueeze dry, discarding liquid. Stir into carrot mixture.Then, stir in flour mixture until blended.4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.Fill a 1/4-cup measure with vegetable mixture.Turn into hot oil.With a fork, spread into a 3-inch (7.5 cm) round with uneven edges.Repeat process, adding 3 more latkes to the pan.Sauté until richly golden, turning once, cooking 1-2 minutes per side.Repeat using remaining oil and vegetable mixture.Keep latkes warm and serve right away. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -NOTES : Marsha Rosen is a nutritionist who lives in North York, OntarioThe recipe may have come from "All in Good Taste," by the Beth TikvahSynagogue Sisterhood.Formatted in MasterCook 4 by

Regards, Ellen in Toronto

SCD since March 17, 2008

2 latke recipes from the NYTimes

Hanukah latke recipes from the NYTimes.

Just use a nut flour of your choice instead of the matzoh meal: