RemedySpot.com

Re: sugar & Larabars

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This comment is more for SCD beginners than for anyone testing fructose tolerance issues in addition to the standard diet.  SCD has been extremely successful for me but I did crave a lot of sweets for the first few weeks. I tolerated Larabars very well within the first few days (even when I wasn't tolerating nuts) and without them I don't know that I would have been able to stick to the diet. After a month or so my cravings are gone and I'm improving as a cook rapidly enough that I now have enough of a variety to keep me encouraged (along with the great physical results of course). In fact I enjoy the home cooked meals on this diet far more than the processed food I was eating (to my complete surprise). Restaurants are still a little tricky - but manageable. But I have to give credit to the Larabars for helping me bridge the gap for a while. The first few weeks of this diet feel so restrictive at first until you can add enough variety to feel normal and until you can get used to cooking everything yourself - which is a huge stumbling block for many. I know that we are all different but I would encourage others who may need a relatively safe crutch in the beginning to consider Larabars  - I think you'll know pretty quickly whether they are a problem or not and it must be better than cheating which I think happens to beginners much more often than is discussed on this list. Larabars are even too sweet for me now - but boy did I need them at the beginning of this diet. Thanks again to everyone who contributes here. Harvey GarrettCrohns 12 yearsNo medsSDC 2 months with a great deal of success---- Original message ---->Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:18:22 -0400> >Subject: Re: sugar >To: BTVC-SCD >> thanks for your response!> i am now joining the ranks of ultra low/zero> fructose (and sugar)> i haven't had much luck with veggies yet but i> believe that i have been gravitating towards> high-fructan vegetables which would> potentially aggravate a fructose intolerance - so i> am researching veggies that are lower in fructans> (and fiber)I'd stop eating the larabars before I began zerofructose. First of all, larabars have dates, andthere doesn't appear to be a fruit that has morefructose than dates. Second of all, not everyonetolerates the manufacturing process used by larabars,despite the fact that they appear to be legal.They should be used - if tolerated - only as a very,very advanced food. Mara