Yogurt Question ???

1) As I understand the yogurt fermented only for 12 hours, is not SCD

legal, right ? I need to ferment it for 24 hours, My problem is since I

live in a very hot climate room temp 30 , I see the yogurt going bad if I

leave like this for 24 hours, so can I keep it in the fridge after 12

hours and eat it after 24 hours, is this the same or the fermnetation

process will stop, if I keep it in the refrigerator after 12 hours ? Your

answer would be very important for me, to know, if I am not eating the

right thing, that is why the healing is so slow....

Sandhya,

No, yogurt fermented for only 12 hours is not SCD-legal. It must be

fermented between 37 and 43 C (100-110F) for at least 24 hours.

Otherwise, there will be lactose left in the yogurt, and that will feed

the bad bacteria which are helping to keep you sick.

After the 24 hours, you may put it in the refrigerator to chill, and it

will be good for up to two weeks.

2) I have read you writing, using SCD legal yogurt culture and then

fermenting ? What is that SCD legal yogurt culture ? I dont find this

here, I am simply used a spoon of sugarfree plain yogurt from the

supermarket to make my first yogurt and then have been using a spoon of

the homemade yogurt everyday for the next day, Is that correct

?

Can you tell us what bacterial cultures are in the local yogurt which you

are using for a starter? There are only a few which are permitted on the

SCD. L. bulgaricus, s. thermophilus, l. acidophilus, and L. caseii are

the only ones permitted. The rest, while often good for people with

healthy guts, have a tendency to over grow in the guts of those of us

with digestive disorders and cause us problems.

You must use fresh starter each time you make yogurt. It is very easy for

our homemade yogurt to get the wrong bacteria in them -- something as

easy as someone forgetting, and licking a spoon, and then sticking it

back in the yogurt. If we then use that yogurt which has been

contaminated to make more yogurt, we will grow more bacteria of the kind

we do not want in our yogurt, and it will not help us heal the way we

want to.

Marilyn

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Dear Marilyn,

Thank you very much for this precious info.

So, it means I have been taking the wrong yogurt and hence my healing is so slow.

I am even more worried now, I need to order from Lucy;s kitchen the right type of starter powder, it will be a long distance for the package to travel from USA to Nepal, pls tell me , if the tempertaure and pressure will not harm the ingredients. I wish I were so badly in the USA, it is so difficult for me to get the correct things from so far.

Now, another question is abt the temperature , how to maintain this temperature in winter, what should I order from Lucys kitchen, the thermos flask to keep warm, or anything like electric blanket will do.

You have said each time use the fresh powder, but it will not be possible for me as I am not living in the USA, can I use 1 spoon of the already made yogurt as the starter for the next yogurt, if I dont lick on the spoon and prepared correctly with nobody licking the milk or the starter yogurt?

Your answers would be so much helpful

Sandhya

Yogurt Question ??? 1) As I understand the yogurt fermented only for 12 hours, is not SCD legal, right ? I need to ferment it for 24 hours, My problem is since I live in a very hot climate room temp 30 , I see the yogurt going bad if I leave like this for 24 hours, so can I keep it in the fridge after 12 hours and eat it after 24 hours, is this the same or the fermnetation process will stop, if I keep it in the refrigerator after 12 hours ? Your answer would be very important for me, to know, if I am not eating the right thing, that is why the healing is so slow....Sandhya,No, yogurt fermented for only 12 hours is not SCD-legal. It must be fermented between 37 and 43 C (100-110F) for at least 24 hours. Otherwise, there will be lactose left in the yogurt, and that will feed the bad bacteria which are helping to keep you sick.After the 24 hours, you may put it in the

refrigerator to chill, and it will be good for up to two weeks.

2) I have read you writing, using SCD legal yogurt culture and then fermenting ? What is that SCD legal yogurt culture ? I dont find this here, I am simply used a spoon of sugarfree plain yogurt from the supermarket to make my first yogurt and then have been using a spoon of the homemade yogurt everyday for the next day, Is that correct ?Can you tell us what bacterial cultures are in the local yogurt which you are using for a starter? There are only a few which are permitted on the SCD. L. bulgaricus, s. thermophilus, l. acidophilus, and L. caseii are the only ones permitted. The rest, while often good for people with healthy guts, have a tendency to over grow in the guts of those of us with digestive disorders and cause us problems.You must use fresh starter each time you make yogurt. It is very easy for our homemade yogurt to get the wrong bacteria in them -- something as

easy as someone forgetting, and licking a spoon, and then sticking it back in the yogurt. If we then use that yogurt which has been contaminated to make more yogurt, we will grow more bacteria of the kind we do not want in our yogurt, and it will not help us heal the way we want to.

— Marilyn New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001 Darn Good SCD Cook No Human Children Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

>My problem is since I live in a very hot climate room temp 30 , I see the

>yogurt going bad if I leave like this for 24 hours<

The yoghurt should be at around 40 C, otherwise the

yoghurt bactera won't grow (other bacteria

does instead)

See if you can find a European yoghurt - to be allowed

to call it yoghurt in Europe it may only include

L. bulgaricus and s. thermophilus. Maybe you have the

same rules in your country? Call a dairy and find

out.

>My question is can I keep the yogurt to be fermented inside an electric

>blanket with temp 103 F (how many grad Celcius is that?) <

Yes! That works fine. I make my yoghurt in a

cardboard box with an electric blanket inside it.

This keeps my yoghurt warm at 40-43 C.

If the yoghurt gets too hot, I put something under

the pot so that the heat from the electric

blanket does not warm it too much.

I use a stainless steel steak thermometer in the

yoghurt that is attached to a monitor.

I leave it in over night, and that way I can see

how warm the yoghurt is all the time.

It should stay between 38-43 C, but it is OK

if it gets a little cooler during the night.

Most important is to make sure it does

not get too hot. However the bacteria

will survive up to 50 C, there will just

be less of them

Cecilia

Dear Cecilia,

Your information is so precious.

Today I have realiesd that since 10 days I have been eating the wrong yogurt made in the wrong way, I never left it for more than 12 hours to ferment and abt 20-25 C, never reached 40 C,

To correct all these I still need a month as I need to buy the thermometer and the electric blanket and get the right culture powder from Lucys kitchen.

I have noted done your points in my note book, so I do not forget them. Thank you so much for correcting me.

Thanking you once again

Sandhya

Subject: Re: Yogurt Question ???To: BTVC-SCD Date: Wednesday, December 31, 2008, 7:14 AM

>My problem is since I live in a very hot climate room temp 30 , I see the>yogurt going bad if I leave like this for 24 hours<The yoghurt should be at around 40 C, otherwise theyoghurt bactera won't grow (other bacteriadoes instead)See if you can find a European yoghurt - to be allowedto call it yoghurt in Europe it may only includeL. bulgaricus and s. thermophilus. Maybe you have thesame rules in your country? Call a dairy and findout.>My question is can I keep the yogurt to be fermented inside an electric >blanket with temp 103 F (how many grad Celcius is that?) <Yes! That works fine. I make my yoghurt in acardboard box with an electric blanket inside it.This keeps my yoghurt warm at 40-43 C.If the yoghurt gets too hot, I put something underthe pot so that the heat from the electricblanket does not warm it too much.I use a stainless steel

steak thermometer in theyoghurt that is attached to a monitor.I leave it in over night, and that way I can seehow warm the yoghurt is all the time.It should stay between 38-43 C, but it is OKif it gets a little cooler during the night.Most important is to make sure it does not get too hot. However the bacteriawill survive up to 50 C, there will justbe less of themCecilia

Sandhya--my heart goes out to you as I have reAD YOUR POSTS. I AM GOING TO WRITE YOU A LONG LETTER TOMORROW--(sorry caps were on). I have guests coming tonight, so tomorrow I will write you. You can make it easy on yourself and buy the yogurt maker from Lucy and the starter powder. The powder is in a treated , waxed envelope and will probably be OK to travel You can email Lucy--she has her email address on her website and ask her these questions. The yogurt maker, though there is an initial investment in the small machine, it does keep the temp constant and make life easier for you. With a 5 year old and no energy, you need to keep it as simple as possible. I keep my starter powder in the fridge ( or the freezer is also possible I think) to keep it fresh. In hot weather, I add cold water into the water bath halfway through the 24 hours to maintain proper temp.

Terry

Re: Yogurt Question ???To: BTVC-SCD Date: Wednesday, December 31, 2008, 7:14 AM

>My problem is since I live in a very hot climate room temp 30 , I see the>yogurt going bad if I leave like this for 24 hours<The yoghurt should be at around 40 C, otherwise theyoghurt bactera won't grow (other bacteriadoes instead)See if you can find a European yoghurt - to be allowedto call it yoghurt in Europe it may only includeL. bulgaricus and s. thermophilus. Maybe you have thesame rules in your country? Call a dairy and findout.>My question is can I keep the yogurt to be fermented inside an electric >blanket with temp 103 F (how many grad Celcius is that?) <Yes! That works fine. I make my yoghurt in acardboard box with an electric blanket inside it.This keeps my yoghurt warm at 40-43 C.If the yoghurt gets too hot, I put something underthe pot so that the heat from the electricblanket does not warm it too much.I use a stainless steel steak thermometer in theyoghurt that is attached to a monitor.I leave it in over night, and that way I can seehow warm the yoghurt is all the time.It should stay between 38-43 C, but it is OKif it gets a little cooler during the night.Most important is to make sure it does not get too hot. However the bacteriawill survive up to 50 C, there will justbe less of themCecilia