RemedySpot.com

The usual - my kid

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We're on stage 1 of the diet (sort of). But she ate a few of the monster cookies (recipe in the book) last night. And had D 4 times this morning. I'm assuming it was the cookies.

Since she can't have dairy and I'm trying to boost up her weight, how about smoothies made from coconut milk? Does that sound ok?

Here's a new supplement that the nutritionist wants Rach to take, for her thyroid. Thought I'd mention it to you all. It's Iodoral. It's a high potency iodine/potassium iodide supplement. Company is Optimox Corp. in CA. This is what is in it: iodine, iodide (as potassium salt). Other ingredients are: Micosolle, a silica based excipient containing a non-ionic surfactant, microcrystaline cellulose, vegetable stearins and pharmaceutical glaze.

What do you think about it?

I looked at the illegal list, but obviously not every little thing is listed on it so I'm not sure about this supplement.

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Tuesday, December 9, 2008 2:35:42 PMSubject: Re: Kale "Chips"

At 01:29 PM 12/9/2008, you wrote:

I get a daily email from AllRecipes.com and this was in today's email. Has anyone ever tried this?http://tinyurl. com/5ed2zrMisty,Can't say that I've ever tried it, but I think I'm going too! Bet you could do it with any thick-leafed green..... I could do with something CRUNCHY.

— Marilyn New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001 Darn Good SCD Cook No Human Children Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Hi Marla,

Coconut can be quite advanced so I am unsure of this maybe someone

else can give you advice about this?

What about Pecan Butter or nut butters? That is good for weight.

Coconut butter, Ghee, avocado...

As for the iodine supplement- has she done an actual iodine challenge?

The test itself can cause Thyroid issues. Did your doc talk about an

amount of time for her to be on it? It's important not to be on it

too long.

I remember reading some basic iodine/skin test to watch for

deficiency- does anyone know what I am talking about?

Maybe someone will refresh my memory..

Jodi

SCD 14 months

Crohn's/Colitis

After what happened this morning after eating a few nut cookies, I'm not sure on the pecan butter yet.

We did do the skin test and she was dificient in the iodine. Her levels weren't off enough to put her on meds in Sept. per the endocrinologist. The nutritionist had us do the skin test. She feels it will help the levels that are off. Plus she has hashimotos and enlarged thyroid - as of Sept. But not enough to be put on meds by a doc.

So the nutrit. thinks the iodine will help.

I'd like feeback on anyone out there regarding the coconut milk.

Trying salmon for the first time tonight. Hopefully she'll like it.

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Tuesday, December 9, 2008 4:17:22 PMSubject: Re: The usual - my kid

Hi Marla, Coconut can be quite advanced so I am unsure of this maybe someoneelse can give you advice about this?What about Pecan Butter or nut butters? That is good for weight.Coconut butter, Ghee, avocado...As for the iodine supplement- has she done an actual iodine challenge? The test itself can cause Thyroid issues. Did your doc talk about anamount of time for her to be on it? It's important not to be on ittoo long.I remember reading some basic iodine/skin test to watch fordeficiency- does anyone know what I am talking about?Maybe someone will refresh my memory..JodiSCD 14 monthsCrohn's/Colitis

Sorry Marla- I'm a bit brain fogged but Grammy reminded me that

Monster cookies have nut flour.

Nut flour is an advanced food- so I am not surprised she had symptoms

so close after this latest flare.

Nut butters are usually a lot easier to digest than nut flours- I

would wait a couple of more days at least for the nut butter though.

Coconut is advanced. I know that when people intro coconut they

usually start with the coconut butter/oil as that is the fat and is

easiest for digestion (unless there is an issue with fats)

So why don't you try coconut oil and clarified butter (ghee) first?

Slow and steady.. Don't obsess about weight.. She is at a decent

weight even if she looses a couple of pounds. Yes, it is alarming-

but she needs to heal. When she heals the weight will come..

Many SCD'ers will back me up on this one.

Jodi

SCD 14 months

Crohn's/Colitis