RemedySpot.com

Re: Keeping an Eye Open

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Ellie,

I got to that point a few weeks ago, too. Honestly, I hadn't been honoring my fullness levels very much and I could feel myself gaining. When I got to the "uh oh" part, I experimented with restriction again, which worked like gangbusters, BUT put me back into that bleak world where food was labeled "allowed" and "not allowed" and I sadly stopped baking bread and cut off other activities I enjoyed. That lasted all of two weeks before I committed once again to really honoring my body and listening to myself.

Since then, stopping at full has been much easier. I think I needed to be reminded what restriction was really like and to ease up on last supper eating (which I was doing because I had restriction on the mind). I feel that my weight has stabilized since then and I am working to really listen. One thing that amazed me is that it is not a constant struggle anymore. Someone on here wrote that Geneen Roth told her that overeating just "wouldn't make a lot of sense" to her after she'd been practicing IE for a while. I have had moments where this has been true, and I'm thrilled. I no longer immediately think of food when I have an uncomfortable emotion, etc. It just doesn't make sense to overeat the way it used to. I know this is a journey and not linear, but I am happy for these new-found insights.

Mimi

Subject: Keeping an Eye OpenTo: "IntuitiveEating_Support " <IntuitiveEating_Support >Date: Thursday, December 8, 2011, 10:08 AM

OK, so I've committed to making peace with food and my appetite and not making a bunch of rules I can't adhere to and promises I can't keep.

BUT..... I do not want to gain weight. I'm at a healthy weight right now, have been for several years. I do go 5 or so pounds above and below a central ballpark, which computes to 10-pound yo-yo'ing, which probably isn't that big a deal, probably a biologically natural seasonal thing (up in winter, down in summer) but there's a point at which I say "Uh-oh!" and that point has been reached.

Yes, I do weigh myself.... maybe once a month, no schedule, just a check-in, kind of like getting a cholesterol test. Right now I'm at the top of my yo-yo, the middle number being the one I consider my wake-up call. Yes, my jeans have been feeling tighter. For me personally, this doesn't mean I need bigger jeans, it means I'm eating more than I need to. Note I didn't say "more than I SHOULD" -- I'm doing away with "should." I'm eating more than I *need to.*

So I want to pay closer attention to what I need and don't need without getting into "should" and "shouldn't." I guess "respect" is what I want from myself. And "honor," as in our current Principle #2 discussion: honoring my hunger and satisfaction, and honoring myself with good nutrition, without getting all fouled up in what someone else says I "should" eat (X servings of Y a day, Z instead of A, imaginary portion divisions on a plate.)

Thanks for listening.... I'm really just talking to myself out loud. It helps.

Ellie

Ellie,

I got to that point a few weeks ago, too. Honestly, I hadn't been honoring my fullness levels very much and I could feel myself gaining. When I got to the "uh oh" part, I experimented with restriction again, which worked like gangbusters, BUT put me back into that bleak world where food was labeled "allowed" and "not allowed" and I sadly stopped baking bread and cut off other activities I enjoyed. That lasted all of two weeks before I committed once again to really honoring my body and listening to myself.

Since then, stopping at full has been much easier. I think I needed to be reminded what restriction was really like and to ease up on last supper eating (which I was doing because I had restriction on the mind). I feel that my weight has stabilized since then and I am working to really listen. One thing that amazed me is that it is not a constant struggle anymore. Someone on here wrote that Geneen Roth told her that overeating just "wouldn't make a lot of sense" to her after she'd been practicing IE for a while. I have had moments where this has been true, and I'm thrilled. I no longer immediately think of food when I have an uncomfortable emotion, etc. It just doesn't make sense to overeat the way it used to. I know this is a journey and not linear, but I am happy for these new-found insights.

Mimi

Subject: Keeping an Eye OpenTo: "IntuitiveEating_Support " <IntuitiveEating_Support >Date: Thursday, December 8, 2011, 10:08 AM

OK, so I've committed to making peace with food and my appetite and not making a bunch of rules I can't adhere to and promises I can't keep.

BUT..... I do not want to gain weight. I'm at a healthy weight right now, have been for several years. I do go 5 or so pounds above and below a central ballpark, which computes to 10-pound yo-yo'ing, which probably isn't that big a deal, probably a biologically natural seasonal thing (up in winter, down in summer) but there's a point at which I say "Uh-oh!" and that point has been reached.

Yes, I do weigh myself.... maybe once a month, no schedule, just a check-in, kind of like getting a cholesterol test. Right now I'm at the top of my yo-yo, the middle number being the one I consider my wake-up call. Yes, my jeans have been feeling tighter. For me personally, this doesn't mean I need bigger jeans, it means I'm eating more than I need to. Note I didn't say "more than I SHOULD" -- I'm doing away with "should." I'm eating more than I *need to.*

So I want to pay closer attention to what I need and don't need without getting into "should" and "shouldn't." I guess "respect" is what I want from myself. And "honor," as in our current Principle #2 discussion: honoring my hunger and satisfaction, and honoring myself with good nutrition, without getting all fouled up in what someone else says I "should" eat (X servings of Y a day, Z instead of A, imaginary portion divisions on a plate.)

Ellie

Ellie,

Mimi

Ellie

I hear you. I recently started to get uncomfortable with what feels like a

weight gain over the past few months. And while I realize some weight gain is

normal when starting out on IE, I decided to see if I could interrupt whatever

was leading me to overeat.

I started reading my copy of The Overfed Head which is helping me listen more

closely to the body. I realize now that I've been lying to myself a bit by

luxuriating in eating and not bothering to notice as truthfully the effects of

my eating. Also, I've been in my head with this more than in my body.

Right now - I'm hungry and asking what I actually feel like eating, rather than

reflexing into choosing what I'd want if my fff's were to become illegal again

tomorrow.

It's tricky though - and sometimes I lie to myself about what I want because my

head is still in the power/control game. I'm learning that if I sort of breathe

into the body - I can tell if I really want something or not.

Takes discipline though; something I've never been long on. But, I'm learning.

Sandarah

>

> OK, so I've committed to making peace with food and my appetite and not making

a bunch of rules I can't adhere to and promises I can't keep.

>

> BUT..... I do not want to gain weight. I'm at a healthy weight right now, have

been for several years.  I do go 5 or so pounds above and below a central

ballpark, which computes to 10-pound yo-yo'ing, which probably isn't that big a

deal, probably a biologically natural seasonal thing (up in winter, down in

summer) but there's a point at which I say " Uh-oh! " and that point has been

reached.

>

>

> Yes, I do weigh myself.... maybe once a month, no schedule, just a check-in,

kind of like getting a cholesterol test. Right now I'm at the top of my yo-yo,

the middle number being the one I consider my wake-up call. Yes, my jeans have

been feeling tighter. For me personally, this doesn't mean I need bigger jeans,

it means I'm eating more than I need to. Note I didn't say " more than I SHOULD "

-- I'm doing away with " should. " I'm eating more than I *need to.*

>

> So I want to pay closer attention to what I need and don't need without

getting into " should " and " shouldn't. " I guess " respect " is what I want from

myself. And " honor, " as in our current Principle #2 discussion: honoring my

hunger and satisfaction, and honoring myself with good nutrition, without

getting all fouled up in what someone else says I " should " eat (X servings of Y

a day, Z instead of A, imaginary portion divisions on a plate.)

>

> Thanks for listening.... I'm really just talking to myself out loud. It helps.

>

> Ellie

>

tomorrow.

Sandarah

>

> OK, so I've committed to making peace with food and my appetite and not making

>

> BUT..... I do not want to gain weight. I'm at a healthy weight right now, have

reached.

>

>

it means I'm eating more than I need to. Note I didn't say " more than I SHOULD "

>

getting into " should " and " shouldn't. " I guess " respect " is what I want from

getting all fouled up in what someone else says I " should " eat (X servings of Y

>

> Thanks for listening.... I'm really just talking to myself out loud. It helps.

>

> Ellie

>

tomorrow.

Sandarah

>

>

reached.

>

>

>

>

>

> Ellie

>

In the interest of giving credit where credit is due - that was told to me (and

I'm sure others too) by Gillian - this group's owner. Those moments really do

happen and the first one can be a great foot-in-the-door event along one's IE

journey!

ehugs, Katcha

IEing since March 2007

> Someone on here wrote that Geneen Roth told her that overeating just " wouldn't

make a lot of sense " to her after she'd been practicing IE for a while.

That is a strong historical fact for me too. Some days I can work a little

further down the neck (ha ha) but I often find I'm THINKing about what I want to

eat rather than checking in with myself. its really an ongoing practice and

awareness trip. Journey on!

Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>Also, I've been in my head with this more than in my body.

> Sandarah

Good point Abby. For me 'mouth hunger' is taste oriented - usually driven by

pleasant memory of previous times that I've eaten an item. " Stomach hunger " for

me is the 'gut' feeling of what appeals to me when I'm biologically hungry. I

know I'm on track when what I bring to mind gets a strong 'yea!' reaction within

me.

I'm sure that is different for others but I so enjoy hearing 'how' from them too

:-)

ehugs, Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>

> a while back, folks were talking about " mouth hunger " versus " stomach

> hunger. "

>

> i thought this was a helpful thing to think about. what sounds like it

> would taste good right now versus what would feel good in my stomach.

pleasant memory of previous times that I've eaten an item. " Stomach hunger " for

know I'm on track when what I bring to mind gets a strong 'yea!' reaction within

me.

I'm sure that is different for others but I so enjoy hearing 'how' from them too

ehugs, Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>

> hunger. "

>

me.

ehugs, Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>

> hunger. "

>

Yep, for me mouth-hunger means that memory connected to a certain food/taste

that causes me to think I want it; when I guess I just want to re-do that

original experience. Stomach hunger - I guess that will have to suffice but

it's not quite a fit. Maybe it would be if I kept better care of my stomach

rather than eating from taste so much of the time. Sigh.

> >

> > a while back, folks were talking about " mouth hunger " versus " stomach

> > hunger. "

> >

> > i thought this was a helpful thing to think about. what sounds like it

> > would taste good right now versus what would feel good in my stomach.

>

I don't actually like the term " mouth hunger at all " , because for me it doesn't

seem to be coming from my mouth. It's more like mind-hunger. It's my mind that

tells me that it wants something. Stomach hunger I get, though sometimes it's

more like whole body. A character talked about that in Barbara Kingsolver's

Poisonwood Bible, where the family was essentially starving, the difference

between stomach hunger and body hunger. She said the feeling in your stomach

goes away, but then your whole body in NEEDING food. Of course we're never at

that point, but sometimes I will get a bit shaky, and very cranky, and be unable

to make any decisions, and my first thought is not that I am hungry, but usually

I am, and eating takes care of it.

Ideally, what your mouth wants will be something that will satisfy your body as

well. I'm really trying to listen to that.

Tilley

> > >

> > > a while back, folks were talking about " mouth hunger " versus " stomach

> > > hunger. "

> > >

> > > i thought this was a helpful thing to think about. what sounds like it

> > > would taste good right now versus what would feel good in my stomach.

> >

>

I don't actually like the term " mouth hunger at all " , because for me it doesn't

seem to be coming from my mouth. It's more like mind-hunger. It's my mind that

tells me that it wants something. Stomach hunger I get, though sometimes it's

more like whole body. A character talked about that in Barbara Kingsolver's

Poisonwood Bible, where the family was essentially starving, the difference

between stomach hunger and body hunger. She said the feeling in your stomach

goes away, but then your whole body in NEEDING food. Of course we're never at

that point, but sometimes I will get a bit shaky, and very cranky, and be unable

to make any decisions, and my first thought is not that I am hungry, but usually

I am, and eating takes care of it.

Ideally, what your mouth wants will be something that will satisfy your body as

well. I'm really trying to listen to that.

Tilley

> > >

> > > a while back, folks were talking about " mouth hunger " versus " stomach

> > > hunger. "

> > >

> > > i thought this was a helpful thing to think about. what sounds like it

> > > would taste good right now versus what would feel good in my stomach.

> >

>

I am also not a fan of " mouth hunger " . I've been poking around the net and have

found an interesting site: http://www.fatnutritionist.com/

The author basically states that in our culture we tend to " de-prioritize " mouth

hunger. After all, shouldn't we be taking pleasure in our food choices?

~Christen

> > > >

> > > > a while back, folks were talking about " mouth hunger " versus " stomach

> > > > hunger. "

> > > >

> > > > i thought this was a helpful thing to think about. what sounds like it

> > > > would taste good right now versus what would feel good in my stomach.

> > >

> >

>

I am also not a fan of " mouth hunger " . I've been poking around the net and have

found an interesting site: http://www.fatnutritionist.com/

The author basically states that in our culture we tend to " de-prioritize " mouth

hunger. After all, shouldn't we be taking pleasure in our food choices?

~Christen

> > > >

> > > > a while back, folks were talking about " mouth hunger " versus " stomach

> > > > hunger. "

> > > >

> > > > i thought this was a helpful thing to think about. what sounds like it

> > > > would taste good right now versus what would feel good in my stomach.

> > >

> >

>

Tilley, the term 'mouth hunger' has never been a favorite of mine either ;-) I

believe it is from Overcoming Overeating while the IE authors use the term

'taste hunger' in that book. Either way for me the idea is that the drive to eat

being initiated not by body nutritional needs but from other - usually emotional

- causes.

I too have had times when I can't focus on tasks and feel light headed, almost

nauseous, and I realize I am extremely hungry but that it hadn't 'registered' as

hunger in my consciousness. Sigh - too many years of ignoring that signal I

suspect has made it easy for me to not sense when it first comes up. Hopefully I

am undoing that unhealthy habit via IE encouragement.

Yes what our bodies need and desire ought to be appealing to our tastes too! But

taste alone isn't a good indicator for me - I'm too easily lured by 'treats'

(aka sweets) though I've also come to find how I don't appreciate the after

effects from bingeing on those. 'One taste at a time' is a challenge for me ;-)

Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>

>

> I don't actually like the term " mouth hunger at all " , because for me it

doesn't seem to be coming from my mouth. It's more like mind-hunger. It's my

mind that tells me that it wants something. Stomach hunger I get, though

sometimes it's more like whole body. A character talked about that in Barbara

Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible, where the family was essentially starving, the

difference between stomach hunger and body hunger. She said the feeling in your

stomach goes away, but then your whole body in NEEDING food. Of course we're

never at that point, but sometimes I will get a bit shaky, and very cranky, and

be unable to make any decisions, and my first thought is not that I am hungry,

but usually I am, and eating takes care of it.

>

> Ideally, what your mouth wants will be something that will satisfy your body

as well. I'm really trying to listen to that.

>

> Tilley

Tilley, the term 'mouth hunger' has never been a favorite of mine either ;-) I

believe it is from Overcoming Overeating while the IE authors use the term

'taste hunger' in that book. Either way for me the idea is that the drive to eat

being initiated not by body nutritional needs but from other - usually emotional

- causes.

I too have had times when I can't focus on tasks and feel light headed, almost

nauseous, and I realize I am extremely hungry but that it hadn't 'registered' as

hunger in my consciousness. Sigh - too many years of ignoring that signal I

suspect has made it easy for me to not sense when it first comes up. Hopefully I

am undoing that unhealthy habit via IE encouragement.

Yes what our bodies need and desire ought to be appealing to our tastes too! But

taste alone isn't a good indicator for me - I'm too easily lured by 'treats'

(aka sweets) though I've also come to find how I don't appreciate the after

effects from bingeing on those. 'One taste at a time' is a challenge for me ;-)

Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>

>

> I don't actually like the term " mouth hunger at all " , because for me it

>

> Ideally, what your mouth wants will be something that will satisfy your body

>

> Tilley

Ellie, this is where you have to experiment a bit to find what works/pleases you

best. I can see where you could play around with savoring such a taste, even

giving yourself permission to eat 'more' of it so that you can discover the

realization of what the effects of doing that are for you. If you don't feel

restricted in saying 'no' to certain foods, bravo for you! However if 'no' leads

to rebellion and bingeing you could learn something from that experience too.

Gillian shared how she prefers 'being in charge' over 'being in control' as that

empowers a person with the decision making instead of turning them into a

'victim' of others decisions or failure judgments. I hope you all the best with

your IE practicing. Thanks for bringing this up and reminding me of it too.

ehugs, Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>

> Thinking of the desire for a food (usually outside of physical need) as the

memory of having had pleasant sensations with it before -- this very

interesting. 

>

> It brings me a question: remembering the taste and sensations from before,

wanting it again, remembering that when I had that before I wanted more and more

and couldn't stop and ate too much of it, unwisely..... is it possible that it

*might* be better just not to start on that one? Is it possible my intuition is

telling me not to go there?

>

> Ellie

Ellie, this is where you have to experiment a bit to find what works/pleases you

best. I can see where you could play around with savoring such a taste, even

giving yourself permission to eat 'more' of it so that you can discover the

realization of what the effects of doing that are for you. If you don't feel

restricted in saying 'no' to certain foods, bravo for you! However if 'no' leads

to rebellion and bingeing you could learn something from that experience too.

Gillian shared how she prefers 'being in charge' over 'being in control' as that

empowers a person with the decision making instead of turning them into a

'victim' of others decisions or failure judgments. I hope you all the best with

your IE practicing. Thanks for bringing this up and reminding me of it too.

ehugs, Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>

> Thinking of the desire for a food (usually outside of physical need) as the

memory of having had pleasant sensations with it before -- this very

interesting. 

>

wanting it again, remembering that when I had that before I wanted more and more

>

> Ellie

I like that, taste hunger as not being the hunger that my body is calling for.

Authentic hunger is sort of stiff, but sometimes it's a physiological, overall

feeling of being hungry. Sometimes I'm not totally aware that I'm hungry but

can sense it and when I stop a minute I know what I'm hungry for. Not that I

want foods that taste bad, but it's not the same as a craving for sugar or some

other more junky food. Not that there's anything wrong with them....

Sandarah

> >

> >

> > I don't actually like the term " mouth hunger at all " , because for me it

> >

> > Ideally, what your mouth wants will be something that will satisfy your body

> >

> > Tilley

>

" When I begin to restrict based on the belief that I am out of control with a

particular food, it only heightens the cravings for me. " Thank you! Did that

last night, didn't understand it until I read this. Dang! I believe I'm out of

control with those yummy chocolate mints - and darned if I wasn't. Phooey.

>

>

> Subject: Re: Re: Keeping an Eye Open

> To: " IntuitiveEating_Support "

<IntuitiveEating_Support >

> Date: Friday, December 9, 2011, 10:00 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Thinking of the desire for a food (usually outside of physical need) as

the memory of having had pleasant sensations with it before -- this very

interesting. 

> Ellie

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

interesting. 

> Ellie

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

interesting. 

> Ellie

>

I agree that " mouth hunger " may not be the best term, but the concept really

helped me sort out my various desires for food. I've discovered that I

experience desire for food in 4 ways:

1- " Stomach " hunger. This is when my stomach is rumbly or feels empty. Most of

the time it's accompanied by a headache, lightheadedness and brain fog. This is

my more obvious form of physical hunger.

2- " Cellular " hunger. This is when my stomach may not feel hungry, so I sometimes

miss it until it's very obvious. I start dragging, feeling kind of weak,

thinking about food, etc. Even though I may not feel " hungry " I know that my

body needs food.

3- " Taste " hunger, AKA cravings. This is when I'm not necessarily physically

hungry (though I may be) but I want something in particular. I can usually feel

it in my mouth and I may salivate a little. It might be really intense to the

point that I'll drive across town to get whatever it is. This doesn't happen

very often, but it used to be a frequent thing.

4- " Brain " hunger. This is when my body isn't hungry, I'm not craving anything,

but I still want to eat. This is usually habitual eating (wanting to eat at meal

times or have dessert whether I'm hungry for them or not) or thinking that food

will cure uncomfortable emotions, or being bored. My mind wants food, not my

body.

McKella

> >

> >

> > I don't actually like the term " mouth hunger at all " , because for me it

> >

> > Ideally, what your mouth wants will be something that will satisfy your body

> >

> > Tilley

>