Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi everyone,

I am a teacher and started back to work after Christmas break this last week. I

haven't had a lot of time to post, but I've read all the posts in the digest

each morning.

I've enjoyed reading these posts because many of you are dealing with issues

similar to mine.

I have been pretty happy with my IE journey so far (started about 2 months ago).

I have been eating whatever I want, but have noticed the binges slowing and

stopping with is a liberating feeling!

My demon I am still facing is, for lack of a better word, jealousy. For example,

I have not seen my sister in over a year. I visited with her yesterday, but was

upset that she was much thinner than me and I was the " fat one " . (Even though I

know she has her own set of issues and I'm not supposed to be comparing myself

to anyone). These demons yell in my ear, " diet and get the weight off...you

know how...do it! " Fortunately, I have been able to squelch these voices. I

like the post where someone said that they are more afraid to go on another diet

than continue on the IE journey.

I have also realized that that I have a serious self-esteem problem that is

causing these demons to shout out!

All of us here know what to eat and how to exercise to lose weight, yet all of

us are struggling with our weight and relationship with food and/or exercise.

Why is it that no one in the fitness industry has ever realized that emotional

issues need to be dealt with before any other part can take place? It would

have saved me thousands of dollars, hundreds of hours, and almost a hundred of

extra pounds now taking residence on my body.

So thank you for posting! Even though I do not always respond, I always read

all the posts and responses and get a lot from them!

Val

Hi, Val (one of my favorite names, the name of my first daughter!) You've struck a great point here. I always think of that when a diet promises that you won't be hungry. Hunger is not the issue and not the reason we overeat. They never address that.Ellie

All of us here know what to eat and how to exercise to lose weight, yet all of us are struggling with our weight and relationship with food and/or exercise. Why is it that no one in the fitness industry has ever realized that emotional issues need to be dealt with before any other part can take place?

Val

__._,_.

Hi, Val (one of my favorite names, the name of my first daughter!) You've struck a great point here. I always think of that when a diet promises that you won't be hungry. Hunger is not the issue and not the reason we overeat. They never address that.Ellie

All of us here know what to eat and how to exercise to lose weight, yet all of us are struggling with our weight and relationship with food and/or exercise. Why is it that no one in the fitness industry has ever realized that emotional issues need to be dealt with before any other part can take place?

Val

__._,_.

Val

__._,_.

Welcome Val! Its always lovely to read from a 'lurker' - so nice to know that

the posts impact more than the posters :-)

Sounds like you are doing well with your starting IE. Great discovery how

comparison is a bane for you. I can't help but wonder what you would think if

you could look at yourself - as an 'other person' - and see what you would be

jealous of?!? ;-) I bet you would find that you are really fighting against an

internalized image of your 'should' self???

The 'fitness' industry is just another arm of the dieting industry as far as I

can tell. They both love to wave UNREALISTIC images in front of us calling those

'healthy/fit/trim/etc.' so that we $ign up for their torture in$trument$. That

whole business reminds me of the old saying about insanity being doing the same

thing over and over yet expecting different results . . . I concluded that diets

address what, when and how while IE addresses WHY we eat. I used to think that

the diet industry 'didn't get that' but now I believe that its well known, just

avoided like the plague since that would put them out of business! (and its a

multi billion dollar a year one too)

Hope to read a post or two more from you as you go your IE way.

ehugs, Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>

> Hi everyone,

>

> I am a teacher and started back to work after Christmas break this last week.

I haven't had a lot of time to post, but I've read all the posts in the digest

each morning.

>

> I've enjoyed reading these posts because many of you are dealing with issues

similar to mine.

>

> I have been pretty happy with my IE journey so far (started about 2 months

ago). I have been eating whatever I want, but have noticed the binges slowing

and stopping with is a liberating feeling!

>

> My demon I am still facing is, for lack of a better word, jealousy. For

example, I have not seen my sister in over a year. I visited with her

yesterday, but was upset that she was much thinner than me and I was the " fat

one " . (Even though I know she has her own set of issues and I'm not supposed to

be comparing myself to anyone). These demons yell in my ear, " diet and get the

weight off...you know how...do it! " Fortunately, I have been able to squelch

these voices. I like the post where someone said that they are more afraid to

go on another diet than continue on the IE journey.

>

> I have also realized that that I have a serious self-esteem problem that is

causing these demons to shout out!

>

> All of us here know what to eat and how to exercise to lose weight, yet all of

us are struggling with our weight and relationship with food and/or exercise.

Why is it that no one in the fitness industry has ever realized that emotional

issues need to be dealt with before any other part can take place? It would

have saved me thousands of dollars, hundreds of hours, and almost a hundred of

extra pounds now taking residence on my body.

>

> So thank you for posting! Even though I do not always respond, I always read

all the posts and responses and get a lot from them!

>

> Val

>

Hi, Val. I'm glad that you are posting. As for being the "fat one," I totally understand. We all have roles and labels among our family and friends and it's hard to go against expectation/tradition. Among my friends I was always the "thin one," the one who could wear whatever I wanted, who could eat whatever I wanted and not gain weight. Then I decided that my weight gain to a *gasp* size 6 or 8 in my later 20's was "unacceptable." You can guess the rest. I started dieting and it was all downhill from there. I remember stepping on a scale at the age of 25 and seeing that I had reached a 140 pounds (at 5'5") and feeling that I was out of control and as big as a house. Honestly, if I knew what I know now, I would have been dancing with glee at my normal, reasonable weight. But, alas, I didn't.

In the 10 or so years since then, I yo-yo-ed, terrified of losing my status among my friends. Predictably, every time I lost weight, I gained more back, never seeing the pattern, always thinking it was my fault for not being good enough. So, now, yes I am the "fat one." Recently I stopped and said to myself, "this is who I am; this is how much I weigh and what I look like, and it's pretty damn good." No more with the comparisons and negative talk. I am embracing who I am at this very moment.

Mimi

Subject: useful posts!To: IntuitiveEating_Support Date: Sunday, January 8, 2012, 9:33 AM

Hi everyone,I am a teacher and started back to work after Christmas break this last week. I haven't had a lot of time to post, but I've read all the posts in the digest each morning.I've enjoyed reading these posts because many of you are dealing with issues similar to mine.I have been pretty happy with my IE journey so far (started about 2 months ago). I have been eating whatever I want, but have noticed the binges slowing and stopping with is a liberating feeling!My demon I am still facing is, for lack of a better word, jealousy. For example, I have not seen my sister in over a year. I visited with her yesterday, but was upset that she was much thinner than me and I was the "fat one". (Even though I know she has her own set of issues and I'm not supposed to be comparing myself to anyone). These demons yell in my ear, "diet and get the weight off...you know how...do it!" Fortunately, I have been able to squelch these

voices. I like the post where someone said that they are more afraid to go on another diet than continue on the IE journey.I have also realized that that I have a serious self-esteem problem that is causing these demons to shout out! All of us here know what to eat and how to exercise to lose weight, yet all of us are struggling with our weight and relationship with food and/or exercise. Why is it that no one in the fitness industry has ever realized that emotional issues need to be dealt with before any other part can take place? It would have saved me thousands of dollars, hundreds of hours, and almost a hundred of extra pounds now taking residence on my body.So thank you for posting! Even though I do not always respond, I always read all the posts and responses and get a lot from them!Val

Hi, Val. I'm glad that you are posting. As for being the "fat one," I totally understand. We all have roles and labels among our family and friends and it's hard to go against expectation/tradition. Among my friends I was always the "thin one," the one who could wear whatever I wanted, who could eat whatever I wanted and not gain weight. Then I decided that my weight gain to a *gasp* size 6 or 8 in my later 20's was "unacceptable." You can guess the rest. I started dieting and it was all downhill from there. I remember stepping on a scale at the age of 25 and seeing that I had reached a 140 pounds (at 5'5") and feeling that I was out of control and as big as a house. Honestly, if I knew what I know now, I would have been dancing with glee at my normal, reasonable weight. But, alas, I didn't.

In the 10 or so years since then, I yo-yo-ed, terrified of losing my status among my friends. Predictably, every time I lost weight, I gained more back, never seeing the pattern, always thinking it was my fault for not being good enough. So, now, yes I am the "fat one." Recently I stopped and said to myself, "this is who I am; this is how much I weigh and what I look like, and it's pretty damn good." No more with the comparisons and negative talk. I am embracing who I am at this very moment.

Mimi

Subject: useful posts!To: IntuitiveEating_Support Date: Sunday, January 8, 2012, 9:33 AM

Hi everyone,I am a teacher and started back to work after Christmas break this last week. I haven't had a lot of time to post, but I've read all the posts in the digest each morning.I've enjoyed reading these posts because many of you are dealing with issues similar to mine.I have been pretty happy with my IE journey so far (started about 2 months ago). I have been eating whatever I want, but have noticed the binges slowing and stopping with is a liberating feeling!My demon I am still facing is, for lack of a better word, jealousy. For example, I have not seen my sister in over a year. I visited with her yesterday, but was upset that she was much thinner than me and I was the "fat one". (Even though I know she has her own set of issues and I'm not supposed to be comparing myself to anyone). These demons yell in my ear, "diet and get the weight off...you know how...do it!" Fortunately, I have been able to squelch these

voices. I like the post where someone said that they are more afraid to go on another diet than continue on the IE journey.I have also realized that that I have a serious self-esteem problem that is causing these demons to shout out! All of us here know what to eat and how to exercise to lose weight, yet all of us are struggling with our weight and relationship with food and/or exercise. Why is it that no one in the fitness industry has ever realized that emotional issues need to be dealt with before any other part can take place? It would have saved me thousands of dollars, hundreds of hours, and almost a hundred of extra pounds now taking residence on my body.So thank you for posting! Even though I do not always respond, I always read all the posts and responses and get a lot from them!Val

Mimi