RemedySpot.com

Five Joys of Sickness and Adversity * PLUS ONE

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Precious Family; In the same time frame that I posted this in another group, a lady there had posted a link and asked for comments. I should have read her post before sending this one. This brought to me many thoughts and ponderings. These two posts were extremely conflicting and side by side resembled a train wreck. So, I melted into this paradox and concluded that the first five listed here were not enough. It was actually far from universal. So, in three steps, we gain full light by first reading the first five, then clicking the link she posted (which will be an attachment here), watching it, then reading and seeing the importance of number six which I added. I realize that I have modified a Buddhist writing, but in the broadness of the world's picture as a whole, this addition was very necessary. *A footnote; the attachment is a powerpoint slide show format. Clicking "Enter" changes the pages & clicking "Esc" closes the

program. With Compassion To All, Randy The Five Joys of Sickness (and Adversity) (By Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche, 1993, with parenthetical commentary by Kathy Wesley, 1998. Although quoted in response to a question about sickness, these Five Joys can be remembered whenever adversity occurs.) 1. My karma is ripening now, and not in the future. (When karma ripens while we are still alive, we actually should rejoice. This is because through our suffering, the

negative karma we have accumulated in the past is being exhausted, and because we now have the opportunity to respond to our suffering with positive attitudes and action. When karma ripens after death, we no longer have control over our response, and are buffeted like a leaf in the wind by our suffering.) 2. I can use the opportunity to practice Tong-Len (Sending and Receiving) by saying May I take on the sickness of all sentient beings in this sickness of mine.(Sending and Receiving is a powerful method for transforming anything that happens to us into the path of awakening.) 3. Through sickness one gives rise to compassion.(As we see our own suffering very closely and very clearly, we can see how universal suffering is and have more empathy for the sufferings of others.) 4. Arrogance and distractions decrease.(Its hard to maintain feelings of superiority over others when were on our sickbed; we also become less distracted

by whats going on around us and become more focused on our dharma practice.) 5. One gives rise to confidence in the law of karma; one is prompted to abandon non-virtuous (and self-destructive) behavior.(When we see how we helped bring about our own suffering through our karmic actions of the past, we are inspired to trust that Karma is a real force in our life. Knowing this, we will be less likely to act in negative ways to harm ourself and others.) ********** 6. Gratitude Awareness/Realization(this is when we see that we are blessed in our social, economic, and life as a whole perspective, where we HAVE the opportunity to understand and accept the first five of these

joys. In truth, we have no control over our birth: Our color, gender, who our parents are, our health, country of origin, etc. They are what they are. It is a blessing to be in a state of mind and of life where something can go wrong, ie. the limitless definitions of suffering, and we have loved ones around us, securities, and we can still feel appreciation overall. The inner knowledge that things could be worse. To be in this mindset is a most wonderful gift in itself. The coin toss of life- We easily ourselves could have been born in a country and/or conditions where our only goal and primary focus is finding enough food and water to stay alive... at least for the day. Given this scenario, it would be impossible to see or even conceive the word joy. So, with this comes two essentials; To be thankful, no matter what the circumstance -IF- we are able to grasp the first five listed, and to put heavily into our thoughts and prayers, our brothers and sisters who are

not able to do so).

Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside . See how.