RemedySpot.com

Sciatica

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

If you want to go the allopathic way, a Voltaren shot gave me immediate relief once. (It's marketed as Voltaren in South Africa), I don't know what the equiv is in Uk or US. It is an anti inflammatory.

Devil's Claw is supposed to have anti inflamatory properties but depending on the severity of the sciatica, I think it is too mild. Also the clothes you wear can contribute to sciatica. (No Gucci high heels !, try flat heels and loose clothing.) Obesity is also a problem.

Barrie

----- Original Message -----

health

Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 6:39 PM

Subject: sciatica

Hi everyone

Wow! Hot out there isn't it? I'm in Buffalo, New York and it's 90 here to day and so humid and there is an air stagnation warning. Hope all of you are staying nice and cool. Take in those fluids.

Anyway my real reason for this post...Is there any treatment for sciatica like an herb or something? A friend of mine has it and other than Physical Therapy I'm not sure what to tell her. Thanks for any help.

Lynn

Guest guest

Bless you for this information. I have had problems with my back since a

car accident. The things you mention in your email I have been suffering

with. Physical Therapy has help, but only to a minimal. When I see my

Physician in 2 weeks I want a referral for a Chiropractor. I took myself

off the stronger medicines and only take Aleve or Advil for the pain, but

I continue with the muscle relaxers. Any suggestions for Natural Medications

for back problems.

A friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world and all others walk outBLESSINGS

Guest guest

Muscle Pain: 2 drops lavender 2 drops rosemary Add 2 drops lavender and 2 drops rosemary oil to 4 teaspoons of your massage oil base (or any plain base/carrier oil, one good one is Almond Oil). Use for a gentle body massage. Sprains - Apply a poultice made from comfrey to relieve sprains and swellings. The Indians called this herb knitbone and use it extensively. Sprain and Aching Muscles Treatment - Mix together 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup of linseed oil, and 4 tablespoons witch hazel. Use as a massage. Menthol Cream - Mix together 6 ounces of witch hazel, 4 tablespoons lanolin, and 6 tablespoons of menthol in a double boiler until creamy. Remove from fire and cool in the refrigerator. Use as a massage. Pain - Add several drops of lavender oil to your bath to relieve neuralgia (spasms of pain). Pain Reliever Salve - Mix together 1 once of chickweed (reduces inflammation and aids in healing), 1 ounce of wormwood (a great pain reliever), and

1 ounce of yarrow (an anti-bacterial agent that also helps relieve pain). The yarrow plant contains achillein and achilleic acid. These substances reduce the clotting time of blood, so they help stop any bleeding. Yarrow also has pain-killing and anti-inflammatory properties that are similar to aspirin. Add the mixture of herbs to 2 pints of olive oil and simmer 3 hours. Strain and add 3 ounces of beeswax and 1 teaspoon of tincture of benzoin. Test for consistency before pouring into wide mouth containers. Balm of Gilead Salve - Place 1 ounce of the buds in 1 pint of hot olive oil and allow to simmer, covered, 3 hours. Strain and add 1-1/2 ounces of beeswax and 1/2 teaspoon tincture of benzoin to the strained mixture. Test for consistency and place in sterile jar. This is a good salve to use on burns, scratches, swelling injuries. Also good for any skin eruptions. The signature of balm of Gilead is the resinour exudation covering the buds. It contains

salicin, which is also found in aspirin. It has some of the same pain-killing and anti-inflammatory properties as aspirin. or Massage Oil : 5 or 6 cayenne peppers, 1 cup olive oil, 1/4 ts clove essential oil, 1/4 ts eucalyptus essential oil, 1/4 ts mint essential oil. Chop the cayenne peppers and place in a jar. Cover with vegetable oil making sure the peppers are completely covered. Store in a warm, dark place. Strain after one week. Add the essential oils Massage on sore muscles, taking care not to get any in your eyes or open wounds and it will sting vehemently. Wash hands well afterward. ******************* HERBAL LINIMENT Use this massage oil to ease the pain of sore muscles and joints or to warm your muscles before heavy exercise. ONE FOURTH cup chopped peppermint leaves ONE FOURTH cup chopped rosemary leaves 2 tablespoons cayenne pods, chopped 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger 8 bay leaves,

broken 2 cups oil Place herbs in a double boiler, cover completely with oil and put a lid on the pan. Heat over low heat for 1 hour. Turn off heat and allow herbs to steep at least 2 hours longer. Strain out the herbs. Bottle the oil and store in a cool place. Recipe by Kathi Keville, director of the American Herb Association myfaithstands@... wrote: Bless you for this information. I have had problems with my back since a car accident. The things you mention in your email I have been suffering with. Physical Therapy has help, but only to a minimal. When I see my Physician in 2 weeks I want a referral for a Chiropractor. I took myself off the stronger medicines and only take Aleve or Advil for the pain, but I continue with the muscle relaxers. Any suggestions for Natural Medications for back problems. A friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world and all others walk outBLESSINGS Suzi What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered. health/ http://suziesgoats.wholefoodfarmacy.com/ http://360./suziesgoats

Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

Guest guest

Hi Lynn,

What does she want to hear?

Don

Pearlmoon wrote:

> Hi everyone

>

> Wow! Hot out there isn't it? I'm in Buffalo, New York and it's 90

> here to day and so humid and there is an air stagnation warning. Hope

> all of you are staying nice and cool. Take in those fluids.

>

> Anyway my real reason for this post...Is there any treatment for

> sciatica like an herb or something? A friend of mine has it and other

> than Physical Therapy I'm not sure what to tell her. Thanks for any help.

>

> Lynn

>

Guest guest

Lynn, I really think it depends on what caused

the inflammation in the first place. With me it was my first born’s head

pressing against that nerve. The only thing that helped temporarily was ice

packs on and off (yes I sat on them lol). The permanent solution was of course

delivery. I said before sometimes it is chronic constipation that causes the

inflammation. Sometimes it is an accident. And sometimes we just wake up that

way and don’t know. She needs to be a detective for herself and figure

out what needs to be changed in her lifestyle to fix it. PT can be very good

with the right therapist, but if it’s not helping her say within a week

it’s just a waste of money. If I had this problem and I could afford it,

I would seek out a good chiropractor to help me. I sure hope this helps.

Janet

Sent: Friday, August 04, 2006 5:07

AM

health

Subject: Re:

sciatica

Hi Lynn,

What does she want to hear?

Don

Pearlmoon wrote:

> Hi everyone

>

> Wow! Hot out there isn't it? I'm in Buffalo,

New York and it's 90

> here to day and so humid and there is an air stagnation warning. Hope

> all of you are staying nice and cool. Take in those fluids.

>

> Anyway my real reason for this post...Is there any treatment for

> sciatica like an herb or something? A friend of mine has it and other

> than Physical Therapy I'm not sure what to tell her. Thanks for any help.

>

> Lynn

>

• 1 year later...

Sciatica – leg and buttock pain caused by pressure on the sciatic nerve – can often be treated without painkillers. In a discussion that appears in the HSI Healthier Talk forums this week, a member named Ron writes: "A friend has sciatica now after chemo, maybe it's muscle/nerve damage because of the chemo? But some pain relief would be nice, she has taken all the drugs, nothing is working, rubbing a BenGay product has helped." Cedarchest: "A good chiropractor may be able to offer some great help for your friend. Or a massage therapist. Or both! Also, there is a product called Sombra that I just swear by. It is not available online, however, and must be purchased through a massage therapist. It's rather like Ben-Gay and some of those, but smells like oranges and contains capsaicin (cayenne derived) and isn't a bit greasy." DJT: "I suffered terribly from sciatica before food intolerances were diagnosed, and still get it occasionally when I goof up with the diet. Diet and Constitutional Hydrotherapy by a pro stopped it when it was chronic. I also run for the juicer and juice carrots and celery, with celery predominant. I don't know why this seems to help, but it does. My chiro kept me going before I was cured." Bill: "I had sciatic pain for years, but now that I'm off statins, it's all gone, BUT acupuncture really helped when I had it." Gerry: "I remember a drug literature of a high-dose B1-B6-B12 tablet that included sciatica as one of its indications. So high dose B-complex may be a possible solution?" Klutzo: "My husband and I have both had on and off bouts of sciatica for years. We swear by a product called CryoDerm, available at Chiropractor's offices." Lianna: "Sciatica can have more than one cause. If it's a structural misalignment, chiropractic can be of great help. If it's more related to soft tissue, deep tissue massage, acupressure or acupuncture may be helpful. If it's due to inflammation, experimenting with a variety of natural anti-inflammatories might help. It can even be a combination of some, or all of these factors. "My grandmother and stepdad experienced great relief from their sciatica by using a combination of chiropractic, B-complex, (heavy on the B6), and natural anti- inflammatories, in their case, a product called nexrutine plus. My sciatica was caused by a car accident, was mostly soft tissue damage, and was completely reversed by deep tissue massage, acupressure and nexrutine plus." Other topics being discussed this week in the Healthier Talk community forums include:

General Health Topics: B vitamins Food Questions: Raw milk Heart: Reduce high cholesterol safely with niacin Dental: Mouth wash Cancer: Food for cancer Diabetes: Proven to cure diabetes You can easily reach the HSI Healthier Talk community forums on our web site at www.hsibaltimore.com. Just choose "Forum," and join in with any of the dozens of discussions about nutrition and natural health care. www.hsibaltimore.com

• 6 months later...
Guest guest

Hi Joy,

For me the pain shot down from the lower part of my back down the back of my

leg practically to my ankle. It made sitting very difficult.

Joyce