RemedySpot.com

Anxiety

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Anxiety

Feeling worried or nervous is a normal part of everyday life.

Everyone frets or feels anxious from time to time.

Mild to moderate anxiety can be an effective means of helping you focus your attention, energy, and motivation.

However, if anxiety is severe, you may have feelings of helplessness, confusion, and extreme worry that are out of proportion with the actual seriousness or likelihood of the feared event.

Anxiety that becomes overwhelming and interferes with daily life is not normal.

This type of anxiety may be a symptom of another problem, such as depression.

Anxiety can cause physical and emotional symptoms.

A specific situation or fear can cause some or all of these symptoms for a short time.

When the situation passes, the symptoms usually go away.

Physical symptoms of anxiety include:

Trembling, twitching, or shaking. Feeling of fullness in the throat or chest. Breathlessness or rapid heartbeat. Lightheadedness or dizziness. Sweating or cold, clammy hands. Excessive startle reflex. Muscle tension, aches, or soreness (myalgias). Fatigue. Sleep problems, such as the inability to fall asleep or stay asleep, early waking, or restless, unsatisfying sleep.

Anxiety affects the part of the brain that helps control creative expression and complex communication.

This makes it more difficult to express yourself creatively or function effectively in relationships.

Emotional symptoms of anxiety include:

Restlessness, irritability, or feeling on edge or keyed up. Excessive worrying. Fearing that something bad is going to happen; sense of impending doom. Inability to concentrate; “blanking out.” Constant feelings of sadness.

Anxiety disorders

Anxiety disorders occur when people have both physical and emotional symptoms.

Anxiety disorders interfere with personal relationships with others and affect daily activities.

Women are twice as likely as men to have problems with anxiety disorders.

Many people, including children and teenagers, develop anxiety disorders in which many of these symptoms occur when there is no identifiable cause.

Many people with an anxiety disorder say they have felt nervous and anxious all their lives.

This problem can occur at any age.

Children who have at least one parent with the diagnosis of depression are more than twice as likely to have an anxiety disorder than children with nondepressed parents.

Generalized anxiety disorders often occur with other problems, such as depression, substance abuse, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

An anxiety disorder also can be caused by a physical problem, such as heart or lung disease.

A complete medical examination may be needed before an anxiety disorder can be diagnosed.

Panic attacks

Panic attacks occur when a person has distinct periods of intense fear and anxiety when there is no clear cause or danger.

These symptoms come on suddenly and without warning.

Panic attacks are a common anxiety-related disorder.

Panic attacks can sometimes occur in otherwise normal, healthy people and will usually last for several minutes.

Physical symptoms that can occur during a panic attack include feelings of choking or suffocating, chest pain, nausea, shaking, sweating, pounding of the heart, and feeling dizzy or faint.

Sometimes these symptoms are so intense that the person fears he or she is having a heart attack.

Many of the symptoms of a panic attack can occur with other illnesses, such as hyperthyroidism, coronary artery disease, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

A complete medical examination may be needed before an anxiety disorder can be diagnosed.

People who have repeated unexpected panic attacks and worry about the attacks are said to have a panic disorder.

Phobias

Phobias are irrational, involuntary fears of specific places, objects, activities, or situations.

Most people deal with phobias by avoiding the situation or object that causes them to feel panic (avoidance behavior).

Phobias are a common anxiety-related disorder.

A phobic disorder occurs when the avoidance behavior becomes so extreme that it interferes with your ability to participate in your daily activities.

There are three main types of phobic disorders:

Fear of being alone or in public places where help might not be available or escape is impossible (agoraphobia) Fear of situations where the individual might be exposed to criticism by others (social phobia) Fear of specific things (specific phobia)

Review the Emergencies and Check Your Symptoms sections to determine if and when you need to see a health professional.

Emergencies

Do you have any of the following symptoms that require emergency treatment?

Call 911 or other emergency services immediately.

Chest pain that is crushing, squeezing, or feels like a heavy weight on the chest or that occurs with any other symptoms of a heart attack Seriously considering harming yourself or someone else with a plan that includes:

Having the means, such as weapons or medications, available to commit suicide or do harm to another person Having set a time and place to commit suicide Thinking there is no other way to solve your problem or end your pain

Check Your Symptoms

If you answer yes to any of the following questions, click on the "Yes" in front of the question for information about how soon to see a health professional.

Review health risks that may increase the seriousness of your symptoms.

Yes

Does anxiety interfere with your daily activities?

See significance of anxiety that interferes with daily activities if you need information to help you answer the questions below.

Call your health professional immediately if you answer "Yes" to any of the following questions.

Yes

Are you thinking of committing suicide but do not have a plan?

Yes

Have you had a change in your mental health and you are thinking about harming yourself or someone else?

Call your health professional today if you answer "Yes" to the following question.

Yes

Are you no longer able to perform your daily activities?

You need an appointment within the next 1 to 2 weeks if you answer "Yes" to any of the following questions.

Yes

Do general feelings of anxiety interfere with your daily activities?

Yes

Do you have intense, irrational fears of common places, objects, or situations?

Yes

Are you unable to feel certain about things, such as whether you unplugged the iron, no matter how many times you check?

Yes

Do repetitive actions that you cannot control interfere with your daily activities?

Yes

Are your symptoms severe despite 1 week of home treatment?

If you have answered "No" to the above questions, go back to Check Your Symptoms and continue to answer the questions to evaluate your Symptoms.

Yes

Do you have sudden, severe attacks of fear or anxiety when there is no apparent reason to be afraid?

See significance of sudden, severe episodes of fear or anxiety if you need information to help you answer the questions below.

Call your health professional immediately if you answer "Yes" to the following question.

Yes

Are you thinking of committing suicide but do not have a plan?

You need an appointment within the next 1 to 2 weeks if you answer "Yes" to the following question.

Yes

Are your symptoms of fear or anxiety severe after 1 week of home treatment?

If you have answered "No" to the above questions, go back to Check Your Symptoms and continue to answer the questions to evaluate your Symptoms.

Yes

Do you think your anxiety may be caused or made worse by a medication?

See significance of medications causing anxiety if you need information to help you answer the questions below.

Call your health professional today if you answer "Yes" to any of the following questions.

Yes

Do you think your feelings of anxiety are caused by a medication?

Yes

Have you experienced new feelings of anxiety after starting a new medication?

Yes

Did your anxiety become worse after starting a new medication?

Note:

If you answered Yes to any of the above questions:

Call the health professional who prescribed the medication to determine whether you should stop taking the medication or take a different one. An appointment may not be necessary. If you are taking a nonprescription medication, stop taking the medicine. Call your health professional if you feel you need to continue taking the medication.

Yes

Do you suffer from recurrent nightmares or flashbacks of traumatic events?

See significance of post-traumatic stress if you need information to help you answer the question below.

You need an appointment within the next 1 to 2 weeks if you answer "Yes" to the following question.

Yes

Do you have severe nightmares or flashbacks, even after 1 to 2 weeks of home treatment?

If a visit to a health professional is not needed immediately, see the Home Treatment section for self-care information.

Home Treatment

Home treatment, combined with professional treatment, can help relieve anxiety.

Recognize and accept your anxiety about specific fears or situations, and then make a plan for dealing with them. For example, if you are constantly worrying about finances, set up a budget or savings plan. Don't dwell on past problems. Change what you can to help you feel more comfortable with present concerns, but let go of past problems or things you cannot change. Be kind to your body:

Relieve tension with vigorous exercise or massage. Practice relaxation techniques. For more information, see the topic Stress Management. Get enough rest. If you have trouble sleeping, see the topic Sleep Problems, Age 12 and Older. Avoid alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, and nicotine. They may increase your anxiety level.

Engage your mind:

Get out and do something you enjoy, such as going to a funny movie or taking a walk or hike. Plan your day. Having too much or too little to do can make you more anxious. Keep a record of your symptoms. Discuss your fears with a good friend. Confiding in others sometimes relieves stress.

Get involved in social groups, or volunteer to help others. Being alone can make things seem worse than they are. Learn about resources available in your community:

Talk with your human resources officer about counseling benefits that may be available through your employee assistance program. Check with your insurance company to see what mental health benefits are available. Contact your public health department for information on community mental health programs.

Symptoms to Watch For During Home Treatment

Use the Check Your Symptoms section to evaluate your symptoms if symptoms become more frequent or severe during home treatment.

Prevention

You can help prevent anxiety attacks.

Avoid caffeine, such as coffee, tea, Mountain Dew, colas, and chocolate. Caffeine can keep you in a tense, aroused condition. Do not smoke or use smokeless (spit) tobacco products. Nicotine stimulates many physical and psychological processes, causes your blood vessels to constrict, and makes your heart work harder. Exercise during the day. Even a brisk walk around the block may help you stay calm. For more information, see the topic Fitness.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy can help prevent additional attacks of anxiety or panic.

Preparing For Your Appointment

To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.

You can help your health professional diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the following questions:

What is your major symptom? How long have you had your symptoms? Do they come and go, or are they always present? What triggers the onset of your symptoms? What makes your symptoms better or worse? Do you have other symptoms that may be related to your major symptom? Symptoms may include:

Rapid or irregular heartbeat. Nausea or vomiting. Numbness or weakness. Excessive sweating. Feeling that you are not able to get enough air (air hunger). Restlessness, irritability, or feeling on edge. Feeling depressed.

Have you ever had a similar problem in the past? If so, how was it treated? Has anyone else in your family ever been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder or depression? Has anyone in your family committed suicide or tried to commit suicide? What prescription or nonprescription medications are you currently using? What herbal supplements are you taking? Are you using alcohol or illegal drugs, such as marijuana or cocaine, to manage your symptoms? Do you smoke or use other tobacco products? Do you have any health risks?

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

Hi Pam in Wisconsin!

I had bad anxiety attacks, usually about 3 or 4 am! I also use to have them in heavy traffic. Anyway, I just figured it was a result of not handling my daily stress very well, so I started meditating - sometimes morning AND night. I also picked a one word chant to get me through the 3 am attacks (like God or Peace). If chanting doesn't work, deep breathing, more meditation, and/or warm tea. Even just sit up and focus on your breath and enjoy the quietness (maybe Great Spirit has something to tell you!). I also make sure I get a quart of some fresh green drink in the afternoon. And there is nothing like a good walk to get fresh air at some point in your day (but NOT inside on a treadmill!).

I know these things seem to simple to work, but they have really helped me. As you mentioned, some herbs make great healing/soothing teas. Best of luck, Pam. I am interested to read other's suggestions. Let us know how you are doing.

Peace on earth.

Cheryl

P.S. Has anyone seen the documentary "Generation RX"? Opinions?

Original Message -----

health

Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2009 8:32 AM

Subject: Anxiety

I have had problems with anxiety, sometimes severe, over the past 20 years. I've been on a variety of things for it, starting back in the 90s with St s Wort, then went off that & when things got back too Imipramine. That made my heart do weird things so went off that. Some time after that I was on Paxil for a while - went on & off that for some time & then off for good & was off everything for quite a while. Then a couple of years ago after bad anxiety I went on Lexapro. Whether it was the Lexapro or self - education & working with it, I decided to drop Lexapro this past February - especially after a copay of $50!!!!!!!!Now I am having really bad anxiety again. Wakes me up in the night & is there first thing in the morning. Any little stresses in my life seem to bring it about. Before I go back on Lexapro for sure, I wanted to know what you all , any of you who have the same problem , do. I have Lyme & have been looking at Astralagus & see that it has anti-anxiety abilities so I've been considering trying that. Any ideas? Pam in Wisconsin