RemedySpot.com

Scientific proof from pathology of the DANGERs of silacone

Rate this topic

Guest guest

http://lib.bioinfo.pl/meid:50148

Pulmonary Embolism, pathology

Am Rev Respir Dis. 1993 May ;147 (5):1299-302 8484647 [Cited: 4]

Silicone fluid-induced pulmonary embolism.

[My paper] Y M Chen , C C Lu , R P Perng

Silicone fluid injection for mammary augmentation is a well-known illegal procedure. It has been associated with many complications, including local tissue granulomatous reaction, chronic infection, and sclerosis, but pulmonary involvement in human beings has been documented in only six cases. We describe three more such cases of pulmonary embolism. These three patients were all female, young, and previously healthy. They received the procedures only for cosmetic reasons. Unfortunately, one of them died and another lived with the sequelae of pulmonary fibrosis. The mortality rate of the nine total patients with pulmonary embolism induced by silicone fluid, including our three cases, is 33%. Because of this high mortality rate and long-term sequelae of pulmonary fibrosis, no silicone fluid injection should be given for cosmetic reasons, especially in mammary augmentation in which a large volume of silicone fluid is more likely to be used, and the early use of corticosteroid therapy may be helpful.

Mesh-terms: Adult; Dimethylpolysiloxanes, adverse effects; Female; Human; Injections; Lung, pathology; Lung, radiography; Mammaplasty, adverse effects; Prostheses and Implants, adverse effects; Pulmonary Embolism, etiology; Pulmonary Embolism, pathology; Pulmonary Embolism, radiography; Silicones, adverse effects;

Hum Pathol. 1985 Jan ;16 (1):19-27 3882545 [Cited: 3]

Silicone granulomas: report of three cases and review of the literature.

[My paper] W D , K Balogh , J L Abraham

Since silicone is rapidly becoming one of the most commonly used biomaterials in modern medicine, pathologists will be observing increasing numbers of cases of silicone-related disease. Although numerous case reports have established that silicone elicits a characteristic response in tissues, the varying tissue reactions to silicone gels, liquids, and elastomers (rubber) have not been emphasized. Three cases are reported, and the literature is reviewed to illustrate the varying features of tissue reaction to silicone in its different forms. The first case is an example of silicone lymphadenopathy in an inguinal lymph node. This case demonstrates exuberant foreign body granuloma formation in response to particles of silicone elastomer. The second case involves a patient who had facial subcutaneous liquid silicone injections, and the third case is that of a woman in whom breast carcinoma developed 13 years after mammary augmentation with liquid silicone injections. These two cases illustrate the characteristic reaction to silicone liquid, with numerous cystic spaces and vacuoles in the soft tissues but minimal or no foreign body giant cell reaction. Scanning electron microscopy and energy dispersive x-ray analysis were performed in the first two cases, confirming the presence of silicon. Silicone migration and the clinical significance of various silicone-induced lesions are discussed.

Lancet. 1992 Nov 28;340 (8831):1304-7 1360033 [Cited: 3]

Antinuclear autoantibodies in women with silicone breast implants.

[My paper] R I Press , C L Peebles , Y Kumagai , R L Ochs , E M Tan

Clinical syndromes resembling autoimmune diseases have been reported in women who have had breast augmentation procedures. To see whether there is a humoral immune response in these diseases that is similar to the immune response in their idiopathic counterparts, we assessed the immunological specificity of antinuclear antibodies (ANAs) and certain epidemiological features in 24 patients, all of whom (with 1 exception) had received silicone gel breast implants. ANA specificities were identified by indirect immunofluorescence, immunodiffusion, western blot analysis, and immunoprecipitation of radiolabelled intracellular proteins. Of 11 patients who had symptoms and signs that met criteria for defined autoimmune diseases, 7 had scleroderma or subsets of this disorder and the others had systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, or overlapping autoimmune diseases. High ANA titres were present in 10 of these 11 patients and the ANA specificities were similar to those found in the idiopathic forms of the corresponding autoimmune diseases. Trauma, with resultant rupture of implants, accelerated onset of symptoms. 13 other patients had autoimmune disorders of a less clearly defined nature and low titres of ANAs whose specificities could not be identified. ANAs are associated with the development of autoimmune complications in women with silicone breast implants. Further studies are needed to see whether this relation is one of cause and effect and whether ANAs might be early serological markers preceding development of autoimmune symptoms.

Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1996 Apr ;120 (4):380-5 8619751 [Cited: 2]

Kikuchi's histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis associated with ruptured silicone breast implant.

[My paper] C E Sever , C P Leith , J Appenzeller , K Foucar

OBJECTIVE--In this report we explore the relationship between Kikuchi's necrotizing lymphadenitis (Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease, KD) and a leaky silicone breast implant. PATIENT--The simultaneous occurrence of KD and silicone lymphadenopathy in an axillary lymph node of a patient with a leaking silicone breast implant is reported. Since both KD and silicone implants have been implicated in autoimmune diseases, including systemic lupus erythematosus, serologic tests for antinuclear antibodies and rheumatoid factor were performed. RESULTS--Axillary lymph nodes showed both silicone lymphadenopathy, as well as classic morphologic and immunophenotypic features of KD. Screening tests for systemic autoimmune disorders were within normal range, suggesting that the unusual Kikuchi's-like immune reaction in one axillary lymph node was localized. The patient has no evidence of progressive immunologic disorders 3 years later. Subsequent lymph node biopsies showed silicone adenopathy with no evidence of KD. CONCLUSIONS--Our findings indicate that silicone compounds may be associated with transient abnormal immune reactions and lend further support to the hypothesis that KD represents an exuberant T-cell-mediated immune response to a variety of nonspecific stimuli.

Immunol Invest. 1993 Mar ;22 (2):151-61 8505070 [Cited: 3]

The adjuvant effect of silicone-gel on antibody formation in rats.

[My paper] J O Naim , R J Lanzafame , C J van Oss

The extent of immunological adjuvancy of silicone-gel, from mammary implants, up to now, has not been determined definitively. This study compares the immune potentiation effects of silicone-gel with that of Freund's adjuvant, using bovine serum albumin (BSA) as the test antigen in rats. Sixty, 250 gr., male Sprague Dawley rats were divided into six groups: I- phosphate buffered saline (PBS) only, II- silicone oil (Dow Corning Medical Grade 360 liquid silicone), III- 50% silicone-gel (McGhan Medical Corp.- mammary implant) in silicone oil, IV- complete Freund's adjuvant (CFA), V- incomplete Freund's adjuvant (IFA), and VI- 50% silicone oil in IFA. Each adjuvant was mixed or emulsified with an equal volume of 50 micrograms of BSA in 150 microliters of PBS. Each immunization was given intramuscularly in a single injection. Cardiac puncture test bleeds were taken at 12, 22, 40 and 56 days post immunization and the serum anti-BSA-antibody was measured by ELISA. The results indicate that silicone-gel is a potent immunological adjuvant, compared to both CFA and IFA. Silicone oil alone is not as potent as adjuvant and seems to inhibit the immune response when mixed with IFA. There thus appears to be a distinct possibility that silicone-gel may also be able to mediate an auto-immune reaction. Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Silicone fluid injection for mammary augmentation is a well-known illegal procedure. It has been associated with many complications, including local tissue granulomatous reaction, chronic infection, and sclerosis, but pulmonary involvement in human beings has been documented in only six cases. We describe three more such cases of pulmonary embolism. These three patients were all female, young, and previously healthy. They received the procedures only for cosmetic reasons. Unfortunately, one of them died and another lived with the sequelae of pulmonary fibrosis. The mortality rate of the nine total patients with pulmonary embolism induced by silicone fluid, including our three cases, is 33%. Because of this high mortality rate and long-term sequelae of pulmonary fibrosis, no silicone fluid injection should be given for cosmetic reasons, especially in mammary augmentation in which a large volume of silicone fluid is more likely to be used, and the early use of corticosteroid therapy may be helpful.

Mesh-terms: Adult; Dimethylpolysiloxanes, adverse effects; Female; Human; Injections; Lung, pathology; Lung, radiography; Mammaplasty, adverse effects; Prostheses and Implants, adverse effects; Pulmonary Embolism, etiology; Pulmonary Embolism, pathology; Pulmonary Embolism, radiography; Silicones, adverse effects;

Since silicone is rapidly becoming one of the most commonly used biomaterials in modern medicine, pathologists will be observing increasing numbers of cases of silicone-related disease. Although numerous case reports have established that silicone elicits a characteristic response in tissues, the varying tissue reactions to silicone gels, liquids, and elastomers (rubber) have not been emphasized. Three cases are reported, and the literature is reviewed to illustrate the varying features of tissue reaction to silicone in its different forms. The first case is an example of silicone lymphadenopathy in an inguinal lymph node. This case demonstrates exuberant foreign body granuloma formation in response to particles of silicone elastomer. The second case involves a patient who had facial subcutaneous liquid silicone injections, and the third case is that of a woman in whom breast carcinoma developed 13 years after mammary augmentation with liquid silicone injections. These two cases illustrate the characteristic reaction to silicone liquid, with numerous cystic spaces and vacuoles in the soft tissues but minimal or no foreign body giant cell reaction. Scanning electron microscopy and energy dispersive x-ray analysis were performed in the first two cases, confirming the presence of silicon. Silicone migration and the clinical significance of various silicone-induced lesions are discussed.

Clinical syndromes resembling autoimmune diseases have been reported in women who have had breast augmentation procedures. To see whether there is a humoral immune response in these diseases that is similar to the immune response in their idiopathic counterparts, we assessed the immunological specificity of antinuclear antibodies (ANAs) and certain epidemiological features in 24 patients, all of whom (with 1 exception) had received silicone gel breast implants. ANA specificities were identified by indirect immunofluorescence, immunodiffusion, western blot analysis, and immunoprecipitation of radiolabelled intracellular proteins. Of 11 patients who had symptoms and signs that met criteria for defined autoimmune diseases, 7 had scleroderma or subsets of this disorder and the others had systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, or overlapping autoimmune diseases. High ANA titres were present in 10 of these 11 patients and the ANA specificities were similar to those found in the idiopathic forms of the corresponding autoimmune diseases. Trauma, with resultant rupture of implants, accelerated onset of symptoms. 13 other patients had autoimmune disorders of a less clearly defined nature and low titres of ANAs whose specificities could not be identified. ANAs are associated with the development of autoimmune complications in women with silicone breast implants. Further studies are needed to see whether this relation is one of cause and effect and whether ANAs might be early serological markers preceding development of autoimmune symptoms.

Kikuchi's histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis associated with ruptured silicone breast implant.

OBJECTIVE--In this report we explore the relationship between Kikuchi's necrotizing lymphadenitis (Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease, KD) and a leaky silicone breast implant. PATIENT--The simultaneous occurrence of KD and silicone lymphadenopathy in an axillary lymph node of a patient with a leaking silicone breast implant is reported. Since both KD and silicone implants have been implicated in autoimmune diseases, including systemic lupus erythematosus, serologic tests for antinuclear antibodies and rheumatoid factor were performed. RESULTS--Axillary lymph nodes showed both silicone lymphadenopathy, as well as classic morphologic and immunophenotypic features of KD. Screening tests for systemic autoimmune disorders were within normal range, suggesting that the unusual Kikuchi's-like immune reaction in one axillary lymph node was localized. The patient has no evidence of progressive immunologic disorders 3 years later. Subsequent lymph node biopsies showed silicone adenopathy with no evidence of KD. CONCLUSIONS--Our findings indicate that silicone compounds may be associated with transient abnormal immune reactions and lend further support to the hypothesis that KD represents an exuberant T-cell-mediated immune response to a variety of nonspecific stimuli.

The extent of immunological adjuvancy of silicone-gel, from mammary implants, up to now, has not been determined definitively. This study compares the immune potentiation effects of silicone-gel with that of Freund's adjuvant, using bovine serum albumin (BSA) as the test antigen in rats. Sixty, 250 gr., male Sprague Dawley rats were divided into six groups: I- phosphate buffered saline (PBS) only, II- silicone oil (Dow Corning Medical Grade 360 liquid silicone), III- 50% silicone-gel (McGhan Medical Corp.- mammary implant) in silicone oil, IV- complete Freund's adjuvant (CFA), V- incomplete Freund's adjuvant (IFA), and VI- 50% silicone oil in IFA. Each adjuvant was mixed or emulsified with an equal volume of 50 micrograms of BSA in 150 microliters of PBS. Each immunization was given intramuscularly in a single injection. Cardiac puncture test bleeds were taken at 12, 22, 40 and 56 days post immunization and the serum anti-BSA-antibody was measured by ELISA. The results indicate that silicone-gel is a potent immunological adjuvant, compared to both CFA and IFA. Silicone oil alone is not as potent as adjuvant and seems to inhibit the immune response when mixed with IFA. There thus appears to be a distinct possibility that silicone-gel may also be able to mediate an auto-immune reaction. Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

I love you too Lea, and Superman ! !

Ya, my implant had a slow leak the whole

time, then the blow out all the way out

the top of the scar capsule, then they

made me wait 3 weeks til explant so it would

have time to roam my body and stick in all

of my organs........arent we special?

Love you.......and yes, we are very special !

DedeStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

I love you too Lea, and Superman ! !

Ya, my implant had a slow leak the whole

time, then the blow out all the way out

the top of the scar capsule, then they

made me wait 3 weeks til explant so it would

have time to roam my body and stick in all

of my organs........arent we special?

Love you.......and yes, we are very special !

DedeStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

We love you Dede, I was just about to go and look for more information on this....bless your heart. Dr. Blais told me that a long term rupture like I had, is just as bad a as an injection, due to migration of the silicone.

Love you....Lea and Superman...who is stressed out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``````````

The extent of immunological adjuvancy of silicone-gel, from mammary implants, up to now, has not been determined definitively. This study compares the immune potentiation effects of silicone-gel with that of Freund's adjuvant, using bovine serum albumin (BSA) as the test antigen in rats. Sixty, 250 gr., male Sprague Dawley rats were divided into six groups: I- phosphate buffered saline (PBS) only, II- silicone oil (Dow Corning Medical Grade 360 liquid silicone), III- 50% silicone-gel (McGhan Medical Corp.- mammary implant) in silicone oil, IV- complete Freund's adjuvant (CFA), V- incomplete Freund's adjuvant (IFA), and VI- 50% silicone oil in IFA. Each adjuvant was mixed or emulsified with an equal volume of 50 micrograms of BSA in 150 microliters of PBS. Each immunization was given intramuscularly in a single injection. Cardiac puncture test bleeds were taken at 12, 22, 40 and 56 days post immunization and the serum anti-BSA-antibody was measured by ELISA. The results indicate that silicone-gel is a potent immunological adjuvant, compared to both CFA and IFA. Silicone oil alone is not as potent as adjuvant and seems to inhibit the immune response when mixed with IFA. There thus appears to be a distinct possibility that silicone-gel may also be able to mediate an auto-immune reaction.

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

We love you Dede, I was just about to go and look for more information on this....bless your heart. Dr. Blais told me that a long term rupture like I had, is just as bad a as an injection, due to migration of the silicone.

Love you....Lea and Superman...who is stressed out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``````````

The extent of immunological adjuvancy of silicone-gel, from mammary implants, up to now, has not been determined definitively. This study compares the immune potentiation effects of silicone-gel with that of Freund's adjuvant, using bovine serum albumin (BSA) as the test antigen in rats. Sixty, 250 gr., male Sprague Dawley rats were divided into six groups: I- phosphate buffered saline (PBS) only, II- silicone oil (Dow Corning Medical Grade 360 liquid silicone), III- 50% silicone-gel (McGhan Medical Corp.- mammary implant) in silicone oil, IV- complete Freund's adjuvant (CFA), V- incomplete Freund's adjuvant (IFA), and VI- 50% silicone oil in IFA. Each adjuvant was mixed or emulsified with an equal volume of 50 micrograms of BSA in 150 microliters of PBS. Each immunization was given intramuscularly in a single injection. Cardiac puncture test bleeds were taken at 12, 22, 40 and 56 days post immunization and the serum anti-BSA-antibody was measured by ELISA. The results indicate that silicone-gel is a potent immunological adjuvant, compared to both CFA and IFA. Silicone oil alone is not as potent as adjuvant and seems to inhibit the immune response when mixed with IFA. There thus appears to be a distinct possibility that silicone-gel may also be able to mediate an auto-immune reaction.

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.