RemedySpot.com

Having some trouble sleeping?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

~

Girl, you have me rolling this morning ! !

I know kefir works wonders in the football

department. I culture my own kefir and drink

it every day. You can also get it at the

health food store. It is processed so not as

rich and full of nutrients as homemade, but it

is great, and works well for the game...lolol...

is your saurkraut fermented? If so, eat some

with every meal. Love Dede

http://www.rwood.com/Articles/Fermented_Foods_Strengthen_Immune_System.htm

another: http://wildfermentation.com/, lots of recipes here......

Making Sauerkraut is Easy!

Sandor Ellix Katz, the creator of this site and the author of Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods (Chelsea Green, 2003) has earned the nickname "Sandorkraut" for his love of sauerkraut. This is Sandorkaut's easy sauerkraut recipe, one of more than 90 ferments included in his book.

Timeframe: 1-4 weeks (or more)

Special Equipment:

Ceramic crock or food-grade plastic bucket, one-gallon capacity or greater

Plate that fits inside crock or bucket

One-gallon jug filled with water (or a scrubbed and boiled rock)

Cloth cover (like a pillowcase or towel)

Ingredients (for 1 gallon):

5 pounds cabbage

3 tablespoons sea salt

Process:

Chop or grate cabbage, finely or coarsely, with or without hearts, however you like it. I love to mix green and red cabbage to end up with bright pink kraut. Place cabbage in a large bowl as you chop it.

Sprinkle salt on the cabbage as you go. The salt pulls water out of the cabbage (through osmosis), and this creates the brine in which the cabbage can ferment and sour without rotting. The salt also has the effect of keeping the cabbage crunchy, by inhibiting organisms and enzymes that soften it. 3 tablespoons of salt is a rough guideline for 5 pounds of cabbage. I never measure the salt; I just shake some on after I chop up each cabbage. I use more salt in summer, less in winter.

Add other vegetables. Grate carrots for a coleslaw-like kraut. Other vegetables I’ve added include onions, garlic, seaweed, greens, Brussels sprouts, small whole heads of cabbage, turnips, beets, and burdock roots. You can also add fruits (apples, whole or sliced, are classic), and herbs and spices (caraway seeds, dill seeds, celery seeds, and juniper berries are classic, but anything you like will work). Experiment.

Mix ingredients together and pack into crock. Pack just a bit into the crock at a time and tamp it down hard using your fists or any (other) sturdy kitchen implement. The tamping packs the kraut tight in the crock and helps force water out of the cabbage.

5. Cover kraut with a plate or some other lid that fits snugly inside the crock. Place a clean weight (a glass jug filled with water) on the cover. This weight is to force water out of the cabbage and then keep the cabbage submerged under the brine. Cover the whole thing with a cloth to keep dust and flies out.

Press down on the weight to add pressure to the cabbage and help force water out of it. Continue doing this periodically (as often as you think of it, every few hours), until the brine rises above the cover. This can take up to about 24 hours, as the salt draws water out of the cabbage slowly. Some cabbage, particularly if it is old, simply contains less water. If the brine does not rise above the plate level by the next day, add enough salt water to bring the brine level above the plate. Add about a teaspoon of salt to a cup of water and stir until it’s completely dissolved.

Leave the crock to ferment. I generally store the crock in an unobtrusive corner of the kitchen where I won’t forget about it, but where it won’t be in anybody’s way. You could also store it in a cool basement if you want a slower fermentation that will preserve for longer.

Check the kraut every day or two. The volume reduces as the fermentation proceeds. Sometimes mold appears on the surface. Many books refer to this mold as “scum,†but I prefer to think of it as a bloom. Skim what you can off of the surface; it will break up and you will probably not be able to remove all of it. Don’t worry about this. It’s just a surface phenomenon, a result of contact with the air. The kraut itself is under the anaerobic protection of the brine. Rinse off the plate and the weight. Taste the kraut. Generally it starts to be tangy after a few days, and the taste gets stronger as time passes. In the cool temperatures of a cellar in winter, kraut can keep improving for months and months. In the summer or in a heated room, its life cycle is more rapid. Eventually it becomes soft and the flavor turns less pleasant.

Enjoy. I generally scoop out a bowl- or jarful at a time and keep it in the fridge. I start when the kraut is young and enjoy its evolving flavor over the course of a few weeks. Try the sauerkraut juice that will be left in the bowl after the kraut is eaten. Sauerkraut juice is a rare delicacy and unparalleled digestive tonic. Each time you scoop some kraut out of the crock, you have to repack it carefully. Make sure the kraut is packed tight in the crock, the surface is level, and the cover and weight are clean. Sometimes brine evaporates, so if the kraut is not submerged below brine just add salted water as necessary. Some people preserve kraut by canning and heat-processing it. This can be done; but so much of the power of sauerkraut is its aliveness that I wonder: Why kill it?

Develop a rhythm. I try to start a new batch before the previous batch runs out. I remove the remaining kraut from the crock, repack it with fresh salted cabbage, then pour the old kraut and its juices over the new kraut. This gives the new batch a boost with an active culture starter.

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

~

Girl, you have me rolling this morning ! !

I know kefir works wonders in the football

department. I culture my own kefir and drink

it every day. You can also get it at the

health food store. It is processed so not as

rich and full of nutrients as homemade, but it

is great, and works well for the game...lolol...

is your saurkraut fermented? If so, eat some

with every meal. Love Dede

http://www.rwood.com/Articles/Fermented_Foods_Strengthen_Immune_System.htm

another: http://wildfermentation.com/, lots of recipes here......

Making Sauerkraut is Easy!

Sandor Ellix Katz, the creator of this site and the author of Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods (Chelsea Green, 2003) has earned the nickname "Sandorkraut" for his love of sauerkraut. This is Sandorkaut's easy sauerkraut recipe, one of more than 90 ferments included in his book.

Timeframe: 1-4 weeks (or more)

Special Equipment:

Ceramic crock or food-grade plastic bucket, one-gallon capacity or greater

Plate that fits inside crock or bucket

One-gallon jug filled with water (or a scrubbed and boiled rock)

Cloth cover (like a pillowcase or towel)

Ingredients (for 1 gallon):

5 pounds cabbage

3 tablespoons sea salt

Process:

Chop or grate cabbage, finely or coarsely, with or without hearts, however you like it. I love to mix green and red cabbage to end up with bright pink kraut. Place cabbage in a large bowl as you chop it.

Sprinkle salt on the cabbage as you go. The salt pulls water out of the cabbage (through osmosis), and this creates the brine in which the cabbage can ferment and sour without rotting. The salt also has the effect of keeping the cabbage crunchy, by inhibiting organisms and enzymes that soften it. 3 tablespoons of salt is a rough guideline for 5 pounds of cabbage. I never measure the salt; I just shake some on after I chop up each cabbage. I use more salt in summer, less in winter.

Add other vegetables. Grate carrots for a coleslaw-like kraut. Other vegetables I’ve added include onions, garlic, seaweed, greens, Brussels sprouts, small whole heads of cabbage, turnips, beets, and burdock roots. You can also add fruits (apples, whole or sliced, are classic), and herbs and spices (caraway seeds, dill seeds, celery seeds, and juniper berries are classic, but anything you like will work). Experiment.

Mix ingredients together and pack into crock. Pack just a bit into the crock at a time and tamp it down hard using your fists or any (other) sturdy kitchen implement. The tamping packs the kraut tight in the crock and helps force water out of the cabbage.

5. Cover kraut with a plate or some other lid that fits snugly inside the crock. Place a clean weight (a glass jug filled with water) on the cover. This weight is to force water out of the cabbage and then keep the cabbage submerged under the brine. Cover the whole thing with a cloth to keep dust and flies out.

Press down on the weight to add pressure to the cabbage and help force water out of it. Continue doing this periodically (as often as you think of it, every few hours), until the brine rises above the cover. This can take up to about 24 hours, as the salt draws water out of the cabbage slowly. Some cabbage, particularly if it is old, simply contains less water. If the brine does not rise above the plate level by the next day, add enough salt water to bring the brine level above the plate. Add about a teaspoon of salt to a cup of water and stir until it’s completely dissolved.

Leave the crock to ferment. I generally store the crock in an unobtrusive corner of the kitchen where I won’t forget about it, but where it won’t be in anybody’s way. You could also store it in a cool basement if you want a slower fermentation that will preserve for longer.

Check the kraut every day or two. The volume reduces as the fermentation proceeds. Sometimes mold appears on the surface. Many books refer to this mold as “scum,†but I prefer to think of it as a bloom. Skim what you can off of the surface; it will break up and you will probably not be able to remove all of it. Don’t worry about this. It’s just a surface phenomenon, a result of contact with the air. The kraut itself is under the anaerobic protection of the brine. Rinse off the plate and the weight. Taste the kraut. Generally it starts to be tangy after a few days, and the taste gets stronger as time passes. In the cool temperatures of a cellar in winter, kraut can keep improving for months and months. In the summer or in a heated room, its life cycle is more rapid. Eventually it becomes soft and the flavor turns less pleasant.

Enjoy. I generally scoop out a bowl- or jarful at a time and keep it in the fridge. I start when the kraut is young and enjoy its evolving flavor over the course of a few weeks. Try the sauerkraut juice that will be left in the bowl after the kraut is eaten. Sauerkraut juice is a rare delicacy and unparalleled digestive tonic. Each time you scoop some kraut out of the crock, you have to repack it carefully. Make sure the kraut is packed tight in the crock, the surface is level, and the cover and weight are clean. Sometimes brine evaporates, so if the kraut is not submerged below brine just add salted water as necessary. Some people preserve kraut by canning and heat-processing it. This can be done; but so much of the power of sauerkraut is its aliveness that I wonder: Why kill it?

Develop a rhythm. I try to start a new batch before the previous batch runs out. I remove the remaining kraut from the crock, repack it with fresh salted cabbage, then pour the old kraut and its juices over the new kraut. This gives the new batch a boost with an active culture starter.

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Lynda ~

So, applejuice gives you that

football feeling ? The urge to

play in the superbowl?

Love you !

DedeStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Lynda ~

So, applejuice gives you that

football feeling ? The urge to

play in the superbowl?

Love you !

DedeStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Yes, My Sauerkraut is fermented and my apple juice was carbonated. Maybe the carbonated organic apple juice was the problem. I glad everyone had a good time listening to my football game.lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

love ya,

In a message dated 1/23/2008 9:12:36 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, coss@... writes:

Apple juice gives me tremendous gas.LyndaAt 06:40 AM 1/23/2008, you wrote:> ~>Girl, you have me rolling this morning ! !>I know kefir works wonders in the football>department. I culture my own kefir and drink>it every day. You can also get it at the>health food store. It is processed so not as>rich and full of nutrients as homemade, but it>is great, and works well for the game...lolol...>is your saurkraut fermented? If so, eat some>with every meal. Love Dede><http://www.rwood.com/Articles/Fermented_Foods_Strengthen_Immune_System.htm>http://www.rwood.com/Articles/Fermented_Foods_Strengthen_Immune_System.htm>another: ><http://wildfermentation.com/>http://wildfermentation.com/, >lots of recipes here......>>>Making Sauerkraut is Easy!>>>>Sandor Ellix Katz, the creator of this site and >the author of Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, >Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods >(Chelsea Green, 2003) has earned the nickname >"Sandorkraut" for his love of sauerkraut. This >is Sandorkaut's easy sauerkraut recipe, one of >more than 90 ferments included in his book.>>Timeframe: 1-4 weeks (or more)>>Special Equipment:> * Ceramic crock or food-grade plastic > bucket, one-gallon capacity or greater> * Plate that fits inside crock or bucket> * One-gallon jug filled with water (or a scrubbed and boiled rock)> * Cloth cover (like a pillowcase or towel)>>Ingredients (for 1 gallon):> * 5 pounds cabbage> * 3 tablespoons sea salt>>Process:> * Chop or grate cabbage, finely or coarsely, > with or without hearts, however you like it. I > love to mix green and red cabbage to end up > with bright pink kraut. Place cabbage in a large bowl as you chop it.> * Sprinkle salt on the cabbage as you go. > The salt pulls water out of the cabbage > (through osmosis), and this creates the brine > in which the cabbage can ferment and sour > without rotting. The salt also has the effect > of keeping the cabbage crunchy, by inhibiting > organisms and enzymes that soften it. 3 > tablespoons of salt is a rough guideline for 5 > pounds of cabbage. I never measure the salt; I > just shake some on after I chop up each > cabbage. I use more salt in summer, less in winter.> * Add other vegetables. Grate carrots for a > coleslaw-like kraut. Other vegetables I’ve > added include onions, garlic, seaweed, greens, > Brussels sprouts, small whole heads of cabbage, > turnips, beets, and burdock roots. You can also > add fruits (apples, whole or sliced, are > classic), and herbs and spices (caraway seeds, > dill seeds, celery seeds, and juniper berries > are classic, but anything you like will work). Experiment.> * Mix ingredients together and pack into > crock. Pack just a bit into the crock at a time > and tamp it down hard using your fists or any > (other) sturdy kitchen implement. The tamping > packs the kraut tight in the crock and helps force water out of the cabbage.> * 5. Cover kraut with a plate or some other > lid that fits snugly inside the crock. Place a > clean weight (a glass jug filled with water) on > the cover. This weight is to force water out of > the cabbage and then keep the cabbage submerged > under the brine. Cover the whole thing with a > cloth to keep dust and flies out.> * Press down on the weight to add pressure > to the cabbage and help force water out of it. > Continue doing this periodically (as often as > you think of it, every few hours), until the > brine rises above the cover. This can take up > to about 24 hours, as the salt draws water out > of the cabbage slowly. Some cabbage, > particularly if it is old, simply contains less > water. If the brine does not rise above the > plate level by the next day, add enough salt > water to bring the brine level above the plate. > Add about a teaspoon of salt to a cup of water > and stir until it’s completely dissolved.> * Leave the crock to ferment. I generally > store the crock in an unobtrusive corner of the > kitchen where I won’t forget about it, but > where it won’t be in anybody’s way. You > could also store it in a cool basement if you > want a slower fermentation that will preserve for longer.> * Check the kraut every day or two. The > volume reduces as the fermentation proceeds. > Sometimes mold appears on the surface. Many > books refer to this mold as “scum,†but I > prefer to think of it as a bloom. Skim what you > can off of the surface; it will break up and > you will probably not be able to remove all of > it. Don’t worry about this. It’s just a > surface phenomenon, a result of contact with > the air. The kraut itself is under the > anaerobic protection of the brine. Rinse off > the plate and the weight. Taste the kraut. > Generally it starts to be tangy after a few > days, and the taste gets stronger as time > passes. In the cool temperatures of a cellar in > winter, kraut can keep improving for months and > months. In the summer or in a heated room, its > life cycle is more rapid. Eventually it becomes > soft and the flavor turns less pleasant.> * Enjoy. I generally scoop out a bowl- or > jarful at a time and keep it in the fridge. I > start when the kraut is young and enjoy its > evolving flavor over the course of a few weeks. > Try the sauerkraut juice that will be left in > the bowl after the kraut is eaten. Sauerkraut > juice is a rare delicacy and unparalleled > digestive tonic. Each time you scoop some kraut > out of the crock, you have to repack it > carefully. Make sure the kraut is packed tight > in the crock, the surface is level, and the > cover and weight are clean. Sometimes brine > evaporates, so if the kraut is not submerged > below brine just add salted water as necessary. > Some people preserve kraut by canning and > heat-processing it. This can be done; but so > much of the power of sauerkraut is its aliveness that I wonder: Why kill it?> * Develop a rhythm. I try to start a new > batch before the previous batch runs out. I > remove the remaining kraut from the crock, > repack it with fresh salted cabbage, then pour > the old kraut and its juices over the new > kraut. This gives the new batch a boost with an active culture starter.>>>>>---------->Start the year off right. ><http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489>Easy >ways to stay in shape in the new year.> Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

dede,

Thanks for the recipes I just saw them after I wrote you.

Thanks shelly

In a message dated 1/23/2008 9:12:36 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, coss@... writes:

Apple juice gives me tremendous gas.LyndaAt 06:40 AM 1/23/2008, you wrote:> ~>Girl, you have me rolling this morning ! !>I know kefir works wonders in the football>department. I culture my own kefir and drink>it every day. You can also get it at the>health food store. It is processed so not as>rich and full of nutrients as homemade, but it>is great, and works well for the game...lolol...>is your saurkraut fermented? If so, eat some>with every meal. Love Dede><http://www.rwood.com/Articles/Fermented_Foods_Strengthen_Immune_System.htm>http://www.rwood.com/Articles/Fermented_Foods_Strengthen_Immune_System.htm>another: ><http://wildfermentation.com/>http://wildfermentation.com/, >lots of recipes here......>>>Making Sauerkraut is Easy!>>>>Sandor Ellix Katz, the creator of this site and >the author of Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, >Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods >(Chelsea Green, 2003) has earned the nickname >"Sandorkraut" for his love of sauerkraut. This >is Sandorkaut's easy sauerkraut recipe, one of >more than 90 ferments included in his book.>>Timeframe: 1-4 weeks (or more)>>Special Equipment:> * Ceramic crock or food-grade plastic > bucket, one-gallon capacity or greater> * Plate that fits inside crock or bucket> * One-gallon jug filled with water (or a scrubbed and boiled rock)> * Cloth cover (like a pillowcase or towel)>>Ingredients (for 1 gallon):> * 5 pounds cabbage> * 3 tablespoons sea salt>>Process:> * Chop or grate cabbage, finely or coarsely, > with or without hearts, however you like it. I > love to mix green and red cabbage to end up > with bright pink kraut. Place cabbage in a large bowl as you chop it.> * Sprinkle salt on the cabbage as you go. > The salt pulls water out of the cabbage > (through osmosis), and this creates the brine > in which the cabbage can ferment and sour > without rotting. The salt also has the effect > of keeping the cabbage crunchy, by inhibiting > organisms and enzymes that soften it. 3 > tablespoons of salt is a rough guideline for 5 > pounds of cabbage. I never measure the salt; I > just shake some on after I chop up each > cabbage. I use more salt in summer, less in winter.> * Add other vegetables. Grate carrots for a > coleslaw-like kraut. Other vegetables I’ve > added include onions, garlic, seaweed, greens, > Brussels sprouts, small whole heads of cabbage, > turnips, beets, and burdock roots. You can also > add fruits (apples, whole or sliced, are > classic), and herbs and spices (caraway seeds, > dill seeds, celery seeds, and juniper berries > are classic, but anything you like will work). Experiment.> * Mix ingredients together and pack into > crock. Pack just a bit into the crock at a time > and tamp it down hard using your fists or any > (other) sturdy kitchen implement. The tamping > packs the kraut tight in the crock and helps force water out of the cabbage.> * 5. Cover kraut with a plate or some other > lid that fits snugly inside the crock. Place a > clean weight (a glass jug filled with water) on > the cover. This weight is to force water out of > the cabbage and then keep the cabbage submerged > under the brine. Cover the whole thing with a > cloth to keep dust and flies out.> * Press down on the weight to add pressure > to the cabbage and help force water out of it. > Continue doing this periodically (as often as > you think of it, every few hours), until the > brine rises above the cover. This can take up > to about 24 hours, as the salt draws water out > of the cabbage slowly. Some cabbage, > particularly if it is old, simply contains less > water. If the brine does not rise above the > plate level by the next day, add enough salt > water to bring the brine level above the plate. > Add about a teaspoon of salt to a cup of water > and stir until it’s completely dissolved.> * Leave the crock to ferment. I generally > store the crock in an unobtrusive corner of the > kitchen where I won’t forget about it, but > where it won’t be in anybody’s way. You > could also store it in a cool basement if you > want a slower fermentation that will preserve for longer.> * Check the kraut every day or two. The > volume reduces as the fermentation proceeds. > Sometimes mold appears on the surface. Many > books refer to this mold as “scum,†but I > prefer to think of it as a bloom. Skim what you > can off of the surface; it will break up and > you will probably not be able to remove all of > it. Don’t worry about this. It’s just a > surface phenomenon, a result of contact with > the air. The kraut itself is under the > anaerobic protection of the brine. Rinse off > the plate and the weight. Taste the kraut. > Generally it starts to be tangy after a few > days, and the taste gets stronger as time > passes. In the cool temperatures of a cellar in > winter, kraut can keep improving for months and > months. In the summer or in a heated room, its > life cycle is more rapid. Eventually it becomes > soft and the flavor turns less pleasant.> * Enjoy. I generally scoop out a bowl- or > jarful at a time and keep it in the fridge. I > start when the kraut is young and enjoy its > evolving flavor over the course of a few weeks. > Try the sauerkraut juice that will be left in > the bowl after the kraut is eaten. Sauerkraut > juice is a rare delicacy and unparalleled > digestive tonic. Each time you scoop some kraut > out of the crock, you have to repack it > carefully. Make sure the kraut is packed tight > in the crock, the surface is level, and the > cover and weight are clean. Sometimes brine > evaporates, so if the kraut is not submerged > below brine just add salted water as necessary. > Some people preserve kraut by canning and > heat-processing it. This can be done; but so > much of the power of sauerkraut is its aliveness that I wonder: Why kill it?> * Develop a rhythm. I try to start a new > batch before the previous batch runs out. I > remove the remaining kraut from the crock, > repack it with fresh salted cabbage, then pour > the old kraut and its juices over the new > kraut. This gives the new batch a boost with an active culture starter.>>>>>---------->Start the year off right. ><http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489>Easy >ways to stay in shape in the new year.> Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Apple juice gives me tremendous gas.

Lynda

At 06:40 AM 1/23/2008, you wrote:

> ~

>Girl, you have me rolling this morning ! !

>I know kefir works wonders in the football

>department. I culture my own kefir and drink

>it every day. You can also get it at the

>health food store. It is processed so not as

>rich and full of nutrients as homemade, but it

>is great, and works well for the game...lolol...

>is your saurkraut fermented? If so, eat some

>with every meal. Love Dede

><http://www.rwood.com/Articles/Fermented_Foods_Strengthen_Immune_System.htm>htt\

p://www.rwood.com/Articles/Fermented_Foods_Strengthen_Immune_System.htm

>another:

><http://wildfermentation.com/>http://wildfermentation.com/,

>lots of recipes here......

>

>

>Making Sauerkraut is Easy!

>

>

>

>Sandor Ellix Katz, the creator of this site and

>the author of Wild Fermentation: The Flavor,

>Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods

>(Chelsea Green, 2003) has earned the nickname

> " Sandorkraut " for his love of sauerkraut. This

>is Sandorkaut's easy sauerkraut recipe, one of

>more than 90 ferments included in his book.

>

>Timeframe: 1-4 weeks (or more)

>

>Special Equipment:

> * Ceramic crock or food-grade plastic

> bucket, one-gallon capacity or greater

> * Plate that fits inside crock or bucket

> * One-gallon jug filled with water (or a scrubbed and boiled rock)

> * Cloth cover (like a pillowcase or towel)

>

>Ingredients (for 1 gallon):

> * 5 pounds cabbage

> * 3 tablespoons sea salt

>

>Process:

> * Chop or grate cabbage, finely or coarsely,

> with or without hearts, however you like it. I

> love to mix green and red cabbage to end up

> with bright pink kraut. Place cabbage in a large bowl as you chop it.

> * Sprinkle salt on the cabbage as you go.

> The salt pulls water out of the cabbage

> (through osmosis), and this creates the brine

> in which the cabbage can ferment and sour

> without rotting. The salt also has the effect

> of keeping the cabbage crunchy, by inhibiting

> organisms and enzymes that soften it. 3

> tablespoons of salt is a rough guideline for 5

> pounds of cabbage. I never measure the salt; I

> just shake some on after I chop up each

> cabbage. I use more salt in summer, less in winter.

> * Add other vegetables. Grate carrots for a

> coleslaw-like kraut. Other vegetables I’ve

> added include onions, garlic, seaweed, greens,

> Brussels sprouts, small whole heads of cabbage,

> turnips, beets, and burdock roots. You can also

> add fruits (apples, whole or sliced, are

> classic), and herbs and spices (caraway seeds,

> dill seeds, celery seeds, and juniper berries

> are classic, but anything you like will work). Experiment.

> * Mix ingredients together and pack into

> crock. Pack just a bit into the crock at a time

> and tamp it down hard using your fists or any

> (other) sturdy kitchen implement. The tamping

> packs the kraut tight in the crock and helps force water out of the cabbage.

> * 5. Cover kraut with a plate or some other

> lid that fits snugly inside the crock. Place a

> clean weight (a glass jug filled with water) on

> the cover. This weight is to force water out of

> the cabbage and then keep the cabbage submerged

> under the brine. Cover the whole thing with a

> cloth to keep dust and flies out.

> * Press down on the weight to add pressure

> to the cabbage and help force water out of it.

> Continue doing this periodically (as often as

> you think of it, every few hours), until the

> brine rises above the cover. This can take up

> to about 24 hours, as the salt draws water out

> of the cabbage slowly. Some cabbage,

> particularly if it is old, simply contains less

> water. If the brine does not rise above the

> plate level by the next day, add enough salt

> water to bring the brine level above the plate.

> Add about a teaspoon of salt to a cup of water

> and stir until it’s completely dissolved.

> * Leave the crock to ferment. I generally

> store the crock in an unobtrusive corner of the

> kitchen where I won’t forget about it, but

> where it won’t be in anybody’s way. You

> could also store it in a cool basement if you

> want a slower fermentation that will preserve for longer.

> * Check the kraut every day or two. The

> volume reduces as the fermentation proceeds.

> Sometimes mold appears on the surface. Many

> books refer to this mold as “scum,†but I

> prefer to think of it as a bloom. Skim what you

> can off of the surface; it will break up and

> you will probably not be able to remove all of

> it. Don’t worry about this. It’s just a

> surface phenomenon, a result of contact with

> the air. The kraut itself is under the

> anaerobic protection of the brine. Rinse off

> the plate and the weight. Taste the kraut.

> Generally it starts to be tangy after a few

> days, and the taste gets stronger as time

> passes. In the cool temperatures of a cellar in

> winter, kraut can keep improving for months and

> months. In the summer or in a heated room, its

> life cycle is more rapid. Eventually it becomes

> soft and the flavor turns less pleasant.

> * Enjoy. I generally scoop out a bowl- or

> jarful at a time and keep it in the fridge. I

> start when the kraut is young and enjoy its

> evolving flavor over the course of a few weeks.

> Try the sauerkraut juice that will be left in

> the bowl after the kraut is eaten. Sauerkraut

> juice is a rare delicacy and unparalleled

> digestive tonic. Each time you scoop some kraut

> out of the crock, you have to repack it

> carefully. Make sure the kraut is packed tight

> in the crock, the surface is level, and the

> cover and weight are clean. Sometimes brine

> evaporates, so if the kraut is not submerged

> below brine just add salted water as necessary.

> Some people preserve kraut by canning and

> heat-processing it. This can be done; but so

> much of the power of sauerkraut is its aliveness that I wonder: Why kill it?

> * Develop a rhythm. I try to start a new

> batch before the previous batch runs out. I

> remove the remaining kraut from the crock,

> repack it with fresh salted cabbage, then pour

> the old kraut and its juices over the new

> kraut. This gives the new batch a boost with an active culture starter.

>

>

>

>

>----------

>Start the year off right.

><http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489>Easy

>ways to stay in shape in the new year.

>

Apple juice gives me tremendous gas.

Lynda

At 06:40 AM 1/23/2008, you wrote:

> ~

>Girl, you have me rolling this morning ! !

>I know kefir works wonders in the football

>department. I culture my own kefir and drink

>it every day. You can also get it at the

>health food store. It is processed so not as

>rich and full of nutrients as homemade, but it

>is great, and works well for the game...lolol...

>is your saurkraut fermented? If so, eat some

>with every meal. Love Dede

><http://www.rwood.com/Articles/Fermented_Foods_Strengthen_Immune_System.htm>htt\

p://www.rwood.com/Articles/Fermented_Foods_Strengthen_Immune_System.htm

>another:

><http://wildfermentation.com/>http://wildfermentation.com/,

>lots of recipes here......

>

>

>Making Sauerkraut is Easy!

>

>

>

>Sandor Ellix Katz, the creator of this site and

>the author of Wild Fermentation: The Flavor,

>Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods

>(Chelsea Green, 2003) has earned the nickname

> " Sandorkraut " for his love of sauerkraut. This

>is Sandorkaut's easy sauerkraut recipe, one of

>more than 90 ferments included in his book.

>

>Timeframe: 1-4 weeks (or more)

>

>Special Equipment:

> * Ceramic crock or food-grade plastic

> bucket, one-gallon capacity or greater

> * Plate that fits inside crock or bucket

> * One-gallon jug filled with water (or a scrubbed and boiled rock)

> * Cloth cover (like a pillowcase or towel)

>

>Ingredients (for 1 gallon):

> * 5 pounds cabbage

> * 3 tablespoons sea salt

>

>Process:

> * Chop or grate cabbage, finely or coarsely,

> with or without hearts, however you like it. I

> love to mix green and red cabbage to end up

> with bright pink kraut. Place cabbage in a large bowl as you chop it.

> * Sprinkle salt on the cabbage as you go.

> The salt pulls water out of the cabbage

> (through osmosis), and this creates the brine

> in which the cabbage can ferment and sour

> without rotting. The salt also has the effect

> of keeping the cabbage crunchy, by inhibiting

> organisms and enzymes that soften it. 3

> tablespoons of salt is a rough guideline for 5

> pounds of cabbage. I never measure the salt; I

> just shake some on after I chop up each

> cabbage. I use more salt in summer, less in winter.

> * Add other vegetables. Grate carrots for a

> coleslaw-like kraut. Other vegetables I’ve

> added include onions, garlic, seaweed, greens,

> Brussels sprouts, small whole heads of cabbage,

> turnips, beets, and burdock roots. You can also

> add fruits (apples, whole or sliced, are

> classic), and herbs and spices (caraway seeds,

> dill seeds, celery seeds, and juniper berries

> are classic, but anything you like will work). Experiment.

> * Mix ingredients together and pack into

> crock. Pack just a bit into the crock at a time

> and tamp it down hard using your fists or any

> (other) sturdy kitchen implement. The tamping

> packs the kraut tight in the crock and helps force water out of the cabbage.

> * 5. Cover kraut with a plate or some other

> lid that fits snugly inside the crock. Place a

> clean weight (a glass jug filled with water) on

> the cover. This weight is to force water out of

> the cabbage and then keep the cabbage submerged

> under the brine. Cover the whole thing with a

> cloth to keep dust and flies out.

> * Press down on the weight to add pressure

> to the cabbage and help force water out of it.

> Continue doing this periodically (as often as

> you think of it, every few hours), until the

> brine rises above the cover. This can take up

> to about 24 hours, as the salt draws water out

> of the cabbage slowly. Some cabbage,

> particularly if it is old, simply contains less

> water. If the brine does not rise above the

> plate level by the next day, add enough salt

> water to bring the brine level above the plate.

> Add about a teaspoon of salt to a cup of water

> and stir until it’s completely dissolved.

> * Leave the crock to ferment. I generally

> store the crock in an unobtrusive corner of the

> kitchen where I won’t forget about it, but

> where it won’t be in anybody’s way. You

> could also store it in a cool basement if you

> want a slower fermentation that will preserve for longer.

> * Check the kraut every day or two. The

> volume reduces as the fermentation proceeds.

> Sometimes mold appears on the surface. Many

> books refer to this mold as “scum,†but I

> prefer to think of it as a bloom. Skim what you

> can off of the surface; it will break up and

> you will probably not be able to remove all of

> it. Don’t worry about this. It’s just a

> surface phenomenon, a result of contact with

> the air. The kraut itself is under the

> anaerobic protection of the brine. Rinse off

> the plate and the weight. Taste the kraut.

> Generally it starts to be tangy after a few

> days, and the taste gets stronger as time

> passes. In the cool temperatures of a cellar in

> winter, kraut can keep improving for months and

> months. In the summer or in a heated room, its

> life cycle is more rapid. Eventually it becomes

> soft and the flavor turns less pleasant.

> * Enjoy. I generally scoop out a bowl- or

> jarful at a time and keep it in the fridge. I

> start when the kraut is young and enjoy its

> evolving flavor over the course of a few weeks.

> Try the sauerkraut juice that will be left in

> the bowl after the kraut is eaten. Sauerkraut

> juice is a rare delicacy and unparalleled

> digestive tonic. Each time you scoop some kraut

> out of the crock, you have to repack it

> carefully. Make sure the kraut is packed tight

> in the crock, the surface is level, and the

> cover and weight are clean. Sometimes brine

> evaporates, so if the kraut is not submerged

> below brine just add salted water as necessary.

> Some people preserve kraut by canning and

> heat-processing it. This can be done; but so

> much of the power of sauerkraut is its aliveness that I wonder: Why kill it?

> * Develop a rhythm. I try to start a new

> batch before the previous batch runs out. I

> remove the remaining kraut from the crock,

> repack it with fresh salted cabbage, then pour

> the old kraut and its juices over the new

> kraut. This gives the new batch a boost with an active culture starter.

>

>

>

>

>----------

>

~

You up for superbowl?

LOL ~

I bet it was the carbonated applejuice.....

carbonation messes with my gut ! !

Love DedeStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Yes, and discomfort in my digestive system to go with it.

Lynda

At 07:25 AM 1/23/2008, you wrote:

>Lynda ~

>So, applejuice gives you that

>football feeling ? The urge to

>play in the superbowl?

>Love you !

>Dede

>

>

>

>

>----------

>

Yes, and discomfort in my digestive system to go with it.

Lynda

At 07:25 AM 1/23/2008, you wrote:

>Lynda ~

>So, applejuice gives you that

>football feeling ? The urge to

>play in the superbowl?

>Love you !

>Dede

>

>

>

>

>----------

>

LOL ,

What kind of apple juice did you drink? Fresh, with lots of enzymes,

or pasteurized and dead? Sounds like something was stewing!

On the sauerkraut....it must be raw to get the full benefits of the

probiotics. You will find this in the refridgerated section of the

health food store. Other sauerkraut that is on the shelf has been

pasteurized or cooked through the canning process, and that

effectively kills all the good bacteria, so it's worthless for

healing. It may have minerals, but no good bacteria.

Kefir can also be bought at the grocery store (it's getting more

popular now) but it usually has way too much sugar in it. They

usually sell it in flavors such as peach, strawberry and raspberry.

All that sugar. It is also made with pasteurized milk, though this

is not such an issue because the kefir culture has infused the milk

with good bacteria and yeasts through the fermentation process. So,

it's still healthy, but not as healthy as if you make your own.

Homemade kefir is so easy to make that I encourage anyone interested

in it to go ahead and get the kefir grains and get started. All you

need to do is buy them once and you are all set! They grow and

multiply, so you will never be out of kefir. Basically, the kefir

grains are a clump of beneficial probiotic bacteria and yeasts bound

in the casein--it looks like a clump of cauliflower. You just put

this clump into a quart of milk and let is sit for 24 hours on your

counter. The bacteria and yeasts will go to work on the lactose in

the milk, creating lactic acid, which is the fermentation process.

The milk becomes thick like yogurt and of course, tastes fermented.

That's why so much sugar is added to the store bought variety. But

at home, you can drink it plain which is better for you, or find ways

of making it palatable for your preferences without so much sugar.

You can also use raw milk if available to you. (That's what I use.)

But since the kefir infuses the milk with probiotics anyway, you can

actually get away with using pasteurized organic milk and it will be

just fine.

Patty

>

> Hey Girls,

> I am having trouble sleeping I am having a lot of football farts

tonight.

> lol. Patty you said it could be my gut flora. I drank a lot of

apple juice

> tonight because I was doing coffee enemas.Do you think that could

be it?And also

> I was a little confused about when you said eat raw sauerkraut and

kefir. I

> have organic sauerkraut in a jar would that be ok ( kefir where

would I buy

> this and can you get this organic) Thanks girls for your input.

> ooops Another Touchdown,

>

>

>

>

> **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in

shape.

> http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?

NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

>

LOL ,

What kind of apple juice did you drink? Fresh, with lots of enzymes,

or pasteurized and dead? Sounds like something was stewing!

On the sauerkraut....it must be raw to get the full benefits of the

probiotics. You will find this in the refridgerated section of the

health food store. Other sauerkraut that is on the shelf has been

pasteurized or cooked through the canning process, and that

effectively kills all the good bacteria, so it's worthless for

healing. It may have minerals, but no good bacteria.

Kefir can also be bought at the grocery store (it's getting more

popular now) but it usually has way too much sugar in it. They

usually sell it in flavors such as peach, strawberry and raspberry.

All that sugar. It is also made with pasteurized milk, though this

is not such an issue because the kefir culture has infused the milk

with good bacteria and yeasts through the fermentation process. So,

it's still healthy, but not as healthy as if you make your own.

Homemade kefir is so easy to make that I encourage anyone interested

in it to go ahead and get the kefir grains and get started. All you

need to do is buy them once and you are all set! They grow and

multiply, so you will never be out of kefir. Basically, the kefir

grains are a clump of beneficial probiotic bacteria and yeasts bound

in the casein--it looks like a clump of cauliflower. You just put

this clump into a quart of milk and let is sit for 24 hours on your

counter. The bacteria and yeasts will go to work on the lactose in

the milk, creating lactic acid, which is the fermentation process.

The milk becomes thick like yogurt and of course, tastes fermented.

That's why so much sugar is added to the store bought variety. But

at home, you can drink it plain which is better for you, or find ways

of making it palatable for your preferences without so much sugar.

You can also use raw milk if available to you. (That's what I use.)

But since the kefir infuses the milk with probiotics anyway, you can

actually get away with using pasteurized organic milk and it will be

just fine.

Patty

>

> Hey Girls,

> I am having trouble sleeping I am having a lot of football farts

tonight.

> lol. Patty you said it could be my gut flora. I drank a lot of

apple juice

> tonight because I was doing coffee enemas.Do you think that could

be it?And also

> I was a little confused about when you said eat raw sauerkraut and

kefir. I

> have organic sauerkraut in a jar would that be ok ( kefir where

would I buy

> this and can you get this organic) Thanks girls for your input.

> ooops Another Touchdown,

>

>

>

>

> **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in

shape.

> http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?

NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

>