RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Gut health VERY IMPORTANT TO IMMUNE SYSTEM!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

LOL! . . .

I sent it as soon as I saw it! . . .

I was talking to a friend yesterday whose grandson seems to have ALL these problems . . . and, of course, eats very poorly! . . . I mentioned diet . . . but she didn't think the mother would help the kid with diet . . . It sounds like she has her own issues? . . .Implants, maybe?

I'm sending this to her too. . . hopefully she can find a way to get some help for her grandson!

Hugs,

Rogene

LOL! . . .

I sent it as soon as I saw it! . . .

I was talking to a friend yesterday whose grandson seems to have ALL these problems . . . and, of course, eats very poorly! . . . I mentioned diet . . . but she didn't think the mother would help the kid with diet . . . It sounds like she has her own issues? . . .Implants, maybe?

I'm sending this to her too. . . hopefully she can find a way to get some help for her grandson!

Hugs,

Rogene

Patty, thank you for your help. Yesterday, when I asked about Uric Acid, my doctor started looking through my file. I asked about the mild kidney disease, but, he ignored me again. When we have too many doctors in one little cubicle, my health questions get ignored. They were more interested in Atrophy of the muscles, I should never have mentioned that.

Honey, it is hard to get fresh fruit here; however, I do have dried prunes. I will start eating a few every day, and when I have my blood tested on Tuesday, we might see a difference. When I went to the ER, over my swollen painful leg. The doctor took quite a bit of blood, and she asked why my Potassium levels were so low. None of my doctors had checked my Potassium levels!

I wonder how many women in our group have had their Potassium levels checked? This is very important because some of their symptoms are like mine. This is the first time in my life, that I have had cramping in my legs.

Thank you again sweet Patty...love you.....Lea

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~````````

Gut health VERY IMPORTANT TO IMMUNE SYSTEM!> > > In Gut and Psychology Syndrome, British neurologist and nutritionist Natasha -McBride, MD reveals the connection between the gut flora - the microorganisms in the digestive tract - and the brain.> -McBride illuminates the gut's vital role in supporting the full range of our mental and physical health. Her findings relate to both children and adults. > Medinform Publishing, 2004> ISBN 978-0954852009> 266 pages > > > We live in a world of epidemics> 85% of the body's immune system can be found in the gut> The vital functions of gut flora> Gut flora protect and nourish the digestive tract> Symptoms of gut dysbiosis> What kind of toxins are we talking about? > The importance of re-establishing gut flora> > We live in a world of epidemics> > Fifteen years ago, autistic spectrum disorders affected one in 10,000 children. Today in the West, on average one in 200 children are diagnosed on the autistic spectrum. > > Millions of children are taking brain altering medications such as Ritalin to combat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD/ADD) and depression while many millions more are being diagnosed with other learning problems with labels like dyslexia and dyspraxia. > > How many families do you know personally who complain of being plagued by allergies, eczema, and asthma?> > Other epidemics include schizophrenia and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), which was unheard of only a few decades ago and now affects 2 million people in the United Kingdom alone. > > Many other neuropsychological and psychiatric problems in children and young adults are becoming more and more common. > > Chronic degenerative diseases afflict over 120 million Americans with 50 million more suffering from one or more auto-immune diseases such as type 2 diabetes, hypothyroidism, adrenal fatigue, MS, chronic fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome, and a host of other syndromes. > > Cancer is now close to being expected to develop in 1 out of every 2 people in their lifetime. > > Antibiotic resistant infections are increasing at an alarming rate. > > Approximately 90% of medication can only suppress symptoms of disease with no ability to fix or cure the diseases. > > Possibly most worrying is that the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta has stated that for the first time in history those born after the year 2000 are expected to die before their parents - a truly frightening prospect. > > We have created different diagnostic boxes in which to fit these "diseases." But often we do not fit into any one of them neatly. The modern westerner in most cases fits into a rather lumpy picture of overlapping neurological and psychiatric conditions. This picture leads us to the fact that these conditions are related to each other by similar underlying causes. > > 85% of the body's immune system can be found in the gut> > Not many people know that an adult on average carries 2 kg of bacteria in the gut. There are more cells in that microbial mass than there are cells in an entire human body. It is a highly organised micro-world, where certain species of bacteria have to predominate to keep us healthy physically and mentally. Their role in our health is so monumental that we simply cannot afford to ignore them. > > A typical modern mother was probably not breast-fed when she was a baby, because she was born in the 60s or 70s when breast-feeding went out of fashion. Why is it important? > > Because it is well known now that bottle-fed babies develop completely different gut flora compared to breast-fed babies. This compromised gut flora in a bottle-fed baby later on predisposes her to many health problems. Having acquired compromised gut flora from the start, a typical modern mum had quite a few courses of antibiotics in her childhood and youth for various infections. It is a well known fact that antibiotics have a serious damaging effect on gut flora, because they wipe out the beneficial strains of bacteria in the gut. At the age of 16, and sometimes even earlier, the modern mum was put on a contraceptive pill, which she took for quite a few years before starting a family. > > Contraceptive pills have a devastating effect on the beneficial (good) bacteria in the gut. > > One of the major functions of the good bacteria in the gut flora is controlling about 500 different species of pathogenic (bad) and opportunistic microbes known to science. When the beneficial bacteria get destroyed the opportunists get a special opportunity to grow into large colonies and occupy large areas of the digestive tract. A modern diet of processed and fast foods provide perfect nourishment for these pathogens and that is a typical diet a modern mum had as a child and a young adult.> > As a result of all these factors a modern mum has seriously compromised gut flora by the time she is ready to have children. The most common health problems in mothers are digestive abnormalities, allergies, autoimmunity, PMS, chronic fatigue, headaches and skin problems.> > Whatever microbial flora the mother has she passes to her new-born child. And indeed clinical signs of gut dysbiosis (abnormal gut flora) are present in almost 100% of mothers of children with neurological and psychiatric conditions.> > The vital functions of gut flora> > Gut flora is something we do not think much about. And yet the number of functions the gut flora fulfills is so vital for us that if some day our digestive tract got sterilised we probably would not survive. > > The first and very important function is appropriate digestion and absorption of food. If a child does not acquire normal balanced gut flora, then the child will not digest and absorb foods properly, developing multiple nutritional deficiencies. And that is what we commonly see in children with learning disabilities, psychiatric problems, and allergies. > > Many of these children are malnourished. Even in the cases where the child may grow well, testing reveals some typical nutritional deficiencies in many important minerals, vitamins, essential fats, many amino-acids and other nutrients. The most common deficiencies, recorded in these children, are in magnesium, zinc, selenium, copper, calcium, manganese, sulphur, phosphorus, iron, potassium, vanadium, boron, vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C, A, D, folic acid, pantothenic acid, omega-3, 6, 9 fatty acids, taurine, alpha-ketoglutaric acid, glutathione and many other amino-acids.> > This usual list of nutritional deficiencies, commonly seen in these children, includes some of the most important nutrients for normal development of the child's brain, immune system, and the body as a whole. > > In addition to promoting normal digestion and absorption of food, healthy gut flora actively synthesise various nutrients: vitamin K, pantothenic acid, folic acid, thiamine (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), niacin (vitamin B3), pyridoxine (vitamin B6), ciancobalamine (vitamin B12), various amino-acids, and proteins. When tested, people with gut dysbiosis always present with deficiencies of these nutrients. Clinical experience shows that restoring the beneficial bacteria in their gut is the best way to deal with these deficiencies. > > The majority of children with neurological and psychiatric conditions look pale and pasty. When tested, they show various stages of anaemia, which is not surprising. To have healthy blood we require many different nutrients: vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, K, A, D, etc), minerals (iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, cobalt, selenium, boron, etc.), essential amino-acids, and fats. These children are not only unable to absorb these nutrients from food - their ability to produce many of them in the body is also damaged.> > What's more, people with damaged gut flora often have particular groups of pathogenic bacteria growing in their gut, including iron-loving bacteria (Actinomyces spp., Mycobacterium spp., pathogenic strains of E.Coli, Corynebacterium spp. and many others). These bacteria consume whatever iron the the diet provides, leaving that person deficient in iron. Unfortunately, supplementing iron only makes these bacteria grow stronger and does not remedy anaemia. To treat anaemia, the person requires all the nutrients we have mentioned, many of which healthy gut flora supply. > > Gut flora protect and nourish the digestive tract> > In addition to taking a direct part in nourishing the body, beneficial bacteria in the gut act as the housekeepers for the digestive tract. They coat the entire surface of the gut, protecting it from invaders and toxins by providing a natural barrier and producing a lot of antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal substances.> > At the same time, they provide the gut lining with nourishment. It is estimated that 60-70% of the energy that the gut lining derives is from the activity of bacteria which live on its surface.> > It is no surprise, then, that when the gut flora is abnormal the digestive tract itself cannot be healthy. Indeed, most children with learning disabilities, psychiatric disorders and allergies present with digestive problems. In many cases these problems are severe enough for the parents to talk about them first. > > In some cases they may not be very severe, but when asked direct questions the parents describe that their child never had normal stool, that their child suffered from colic as a baby, and that tummy pains and flatulence are a common part of the picture. In those cases where these children have been examined by gastro-enterologists, inflammatory process in the gut was found along with faecal compaction and an over-spill syndrome.> > The most recent research was performed at the Royal Free Hospital in London by Dr. Wakefield and his team. They found an inflammatory condition in the bowel of autistic children, which they have named Autistic Enterocolitis.> > Schizophrenic patients were always known to have serious digestive problems. Dr. Curtis Dohan, MD has devoted many years to researching digestive abnormalities in schizophrenia. He found a lot of similarities between coeliac disease and the state of the digestive tract in schizophrenics. > > In my clinical practice, I see that long before these patients develop psychotic symptoms they suffer from digestive problems and all other typical symptoms of gut dysbiosis and have done so pretty much from the start of their lives. Children and young adults with ADHD/ADD, OCD, depression and other neuropsychological problems are very often reported to suffer from digestive abnormalities though there have not been formal studies published yet. > > Symptoms of gut dysbiosis> > What other symptoms of gut dysbiosis do we know? Well-functioning gut flora is the right hand of our immune system. The beneficial bacteria in the gut ensure appropriate production of different immune cells, immunoglobulins, and other parts of the immune system. But most importantly, they keep the immune system in the right balance. What typically happens in a person with gut dysbiosis is that two major arms of their immune system, Th1 and Th2, get out of balance with underactive Th1 and overactive Th2. As a result, the immune system starts reacting to most environmental stimuli in an allergic or atopic kind of way. > > A baby is born with an immature immune system. Establishment of a healthy balance of gut flora in the first few days of life plays a crucial role in the appropriate maturation of the immune system. If the baby does not acquire appropriate gut flora then the baby is left immune compromised. The result is lots of infections followed by lots of courses of antibiotics, which damage the child's gut flora and immune system even further.> > The most common infections in the first two years of life in the children with neurological, psychological, and atopic disorders are ear infections, chest infections, sore throats, and impetigo.> > At the same time, in the first two years of life the child receives a lot of vaccinations. A child with compromised immune system does not react to vaccinations in a predicted way. In most cases, vaccines deepen the damage to the immune system and provide a source of chronic persistent viral infections and autoimmune problems in these children.> > A considerable amount of research has been published regarding the state of the immune system in children with learning disabilities and psychiatric problems. The research shows deep abnormalities in all major cell groups and immunoglobulins in these children. The most common autoantibodies found are to myelin basic protein (MBP) and neuron-axon filament protein (NSFP). These antibodies attack the child's brain and the rest of the nervous system. > > So, the modern child did not get normal gut flora from the start and then got it damaged even further by repeated courses of antibiotics and vaccinations. As a result, these children commonly suffer from digestive problems, allergies, asthma, and eczema.> > For children who then go on to develop neurological and psychiatric problems, something even more terrible happens. Without control of the beneficial bacteria, different opportunistic and pathogenic bacteria, viruses, and fungi have a good chance to occupy large territories in the digestive tract of the child and grow large colonies.> > Two particular groups which are most commonly found on testing are yeasts (including Candida species) and Clostridia family. These pathogenic microbes start digesting food in their own way, producing large amounts of various toxic substances which get absorbed into the blood stream and are carried to the brain, where they cross the blood-brain barrier.> > The number and mixture of toxins can be very individual, causing a variety of neurological and psychological symptoms. Due to the absence or greatly reduced numbers of beneficial bacteria in the gut flora, instead of being a source of nourishment the child's digestive system becomes a major source of toxicity in the body. > > What kind of toxins are we talking about? > > There are many toxins which have not been studied very well yet. But some toxins have received a considerable amount of research. Let us have a look at them.> > Acetaldehyde and alcohol - what have these substances got to do with children? The most common pathogenic microbes shown to overgrow in the digestive systems of children with neuropsychological conditions and allergies are yeasts, particularly Candida species. Yeasts ferment dietary carbohydrates, producing alcohol and its by-product, acetaldehyde.> Let us see what a constant exposure to alcohol and acetaldehyde does to the body. The effects include:> a.. Liver damage with reduced ability to detoxify drugs, pollutants, and other toxins.> > > b.. Inability of the liver to dispose of old neurotransmitters, hormones, and other byproducts of normal metabolism. As a result, these substances accumulate in the body, causing behavioural abnormalities and many other problems.> > > c.. Degeneration of the pancreas with reduced ability to produce pancreatic enzymes, which impairs digestion. > > > d.. Reduced ability of the stomach wall to produce stomach acid.> > > e.. Damage to immune system.> > > f.. Brain damage with lack of self-control, impaired co-ordination, impaired speech, development, aggression, mental retardation, loss of memory and stupor. > > > g.. Peripheral nerve damage with altered senses and muscle weakness. > > > h.. Direct muscle tissue damage with altered ability to contract and relax plus muscle weakness. > > > i.. Nutritional deficiencies from damaging effect on digestion and absorption of most vitamins, minerals and amino acids. Deficiencies in vitamins B and A are particularly common. > > > j.. Alteration of metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids in the body.> > Alcohol has an ability to enhance the toxicity of most common drugs, pollutants, and other toxins. Acetaldehyde is considered to be the most toxic of alcohol by-products. It is the chemical which gives us the feeling of having a hangover. Anybody who has experienced a hangover can tell you how dreadful he or she felt.> > Children who acquire abnormal gut flora with a lot of yeast from the start may never know any other feeling. Acetaldehyde has a large variety of toxic influences on the body. One of the most devastating influences of this chemical is its ability to alter the structure of proteins. Acetaldehyde-altered proteins are thought to be responsible for many autoimmune reactions. Children with neuropsychological problems are commonly found to have antibodies against their own tissues. > Other toxins include:> > Clostridia neurotoxins. There are about 100 different Clostridia species known so far. They are present in the stools of people with autism, schizophrenia, psychosis, severe depression, muscle paralysis, muscle tonus abnormalities, and some other neurological and psychiatric conditions. Many Clostridia species are normal inhabitants of a human gut. For example, Clostridium tetani is routinely found in the gut of healthy humans and animals. > > Everybody knows that tetanus is a deadly disease, due to an extremely powerful neurotoxin Clostridium tetani produces. Clostridium tetani, which lives in the gut, is normally controlled by the beneficial bacteria and does us no harm, because its toxin can not get through the healthy gut wall. Unfortunately, the children we are discussing do not have a healthy gut wall. In gut dysbiosis this powerful neurotoxin may well get absorbed through the damaged gut lining and then cross the blood-brain barrier affecting the child's mental development.> > Many other species of Clostridia (perfringens, novyi, septicum, histolyticum, sordelli, aerofoetidum, tertium, sporogenes, etc) produce toxins similar to tetanus toxin as well as many other toxins. Dr. Shaw at Great Plains Laboratories describes in detail the number of autistic children who showed significant improvement in their development and biochemical tests while on anti-Clostridia medication. Unfortunately, as soon as the medication was stopped the children slipped back into autism, because these children do not have the healthy gut flora to control Clostridia and prevent their toxins from traveling through the gut lining into the bloodstream.> > In many cases, Clostridia were not identified in the stools of these children because Clostridia are strict anaerobes and are very difficult to study. We need to come up with some better ways of testing for these potent pathogens.> > Yeasts and Clostridia have been given a special opportunity in the era of antibiotics. Broad-spectrum antibiotics do not touch them while they do kill the beneficial bacteria in the gut, which are capable of controlling the yeasts and Clostridia. So, after every course of antibiotics, these two pathogenic groups get out of control and overgrow. The children that we are talking about usually are exposed to numerous courses of antibiotics pretty much from the beginning of their lives. > > Gluteomorphins and casomorphins or opiates from gluten and casein. Opiates are drugs - such as opium, morphine and heroin - which are commonly used by drug addicts. What have they got to do with children?> > Gluten is a protein present in grains - mainly wheat, rye, oats, and barley. Casein is a milk protein, present in cow, goat, sheep, human, and all other milk and milk products. In the bodies of children and adults with autism and schizophrenia, these proteins do not get digested properly because their digestive systems are full of abnormal microbial flora. As a result of misdigestion, gluten and casein turn into substances with chemical structure similar to opiates such as morphine and heroin. > > There has been quite a substantial amount of research conducted in this area by Dohan, Reichelt, Shattock, Cade and others, in which gluten and casein peptides, called gluteomorphin and casomorphin, were detected in the urine of schizophrenic patients and autistic children. Incidentally, these substances were also found in patients with depression and rheumatoid arthritis. These opiates from wheat and milk get through the blood-brain barrier and block certain areas of the brain, just like morphine or heroin would do, causing various neurological and psychological symptoms. Based on this research, the gluten- and casein-free diet (GFCF diet) has been developed, which helps a lot of children and adults with autism and schizophrenia.> > Dermorphin and deltorphin. These are two frightening toxic substances with opiate structure that have been found in autistic children by biochemist Alan Friedman, PhD.> > Dermorphin and deltorphin were first identified on the skin of a poison dart frog in South America. Native people used to dip their darts into the mucous on these frogs in order to paralyse their enemy, because deltorphin and dermorphin are extremely potent neurotoxins. Dr. Friedman believes that it is not the frog that produces these neurotoxins, but rather a fungus which grows on the skin of this frog. It is possible that this fungus grows in the gut of autistic children, supplying their bodies with dermorphin and deltorphin.> > Organic acid testing now available in many laboratories around the world can identify various metabolites of microbial activity taking place in the gut which are absorbed and then excreted in the child's urine. Many of these metabolites are highly poisonous substances.> > Low Serum Sulphate is a common finding in these children. It is an indirect indication of toxicity in the body because sulphates are essential for many detoxification processes and the normal metabolism of brain neurotransmitters. In many cases the child may be getting plenty of sulphates through the diet, but they all get consumed by the detox pathways struggling with the river of toxicity which is constantly coming from the child's gut.> > At the same time, another large group of bacteria which commonly overgrow in the gut dysbiosis situation are sulphate-reducing bacteria, which make sulphur unavailable for the body to use. These bacteria metabolise sulphate coming from food into sulphites, many of which are toxic. Hydrogen sulphide, for example, is the gas with the rotten egg smell. Some parents of autistic, hyperactive, and other children tell me that their child's stool has this characteristic smell.> > The importance of re-establishing gut flora> > The mixture of toxicity in each child can be quite individual and different. But what they all have in common is gut dysbiosis. The toxicity, which is produced by the abnormal microbial mass in these children, establishes a link between the gut and the brain. These children can present with symptoms of autism, ADHD, ADD, OCD, dyslexia, dyspraxia, schizophrenia, depression, sleep disorders, allergies, asthma and eczema in any possible combination.> These are the children who fall in the gap in our medical knowledge. Any child with a learning disability, neurological or psychological problems, or allergies should be thoroughly examined for gut dysbiosis. Re-establishing normal gut flora and treating the digestive system of the child has to be the number one treatment for these disorders, before considering any other treatments with drugs or otherwise. > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------> Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.>

Patty, thank you for your help. Yesterday, when I asked about Uric Acid, my doctor started looking through my file. I asked about the mild kidney disease, but, he ignored me again. When we have too many doctors in one little cubicle, my health questions get ignored. They were more interested in Atrophy of the muscles, I should never have mentioned that.

Honey, it is hard to get fresh fruit here; however, I do have dried prunes. I will start eating a few every day, and when I have my blood tested on Tuesday, we might see a difference. When I went to the ER, over my swollen painful leg. The doctor took quite a bit of blood, and she asked why my Potassium levels were so low. None of my doctors had checked my Potassium levels!

I wonder how many women in our group have had their Potassium levels checked? This is very important because some of their symptoms are like mine. This is the first time in my life, that I have had cramping in my legs.

Thank you again sweet Patty...love you.....Lea

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~````````

Gut health VERY IMPORTANT TO IMMUNE SYSTEM!> > > In Gut and Psychology Syndrome, British neurologist and nutritionist Natasha -McBride, MD reveals the connection between the gut flora - the microorganisms in the digestive tract - and the brain.> -McBride illuminates the gut's vital role in supporting the full range of our mental and physical health. Her findings relate to both children and adults. > Medinform Publishing, 2004> ISBN 978-0954852009> 266 pages > > > We live in a world of epidemics> 85% of the body's immune system can be found in the gut> The vital functions of gut flora> Gut flora protect and nourish the digestive tract> Symptoms of gut dysbiosis> What kind of toxins are we talking about? > The importance of re-establishing gut flora> > We live in a world of epidemics> > Fifteen years ago, autistic spectrum disorders affected one in 10,000 children. Today in the West, on average one in 200 children are diagnosed on the autistic spectrum. > > Millions of children are taking brain altering medications such as Ritalin to combat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD/ADD) and depression while many millions more are being diagnosed with other learning problems with labels like dyslexia and dyspraxia. > > How many families do you know personally who complain of being plagued by allergies, eczema, and asthma?> > Other epidemics include schizophrenia and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), which was unheard of only a few decades ago and now affects 2 million people in the United Kingdom alone. > > Many other neuropsychological and psychiatric problems in children and young adults are becoming more and more common. > > Chronic degenerative diseases afflict over 120 million Americans with 50 million more suffering from one or more auto-immune diseases such as type 2 diabetes, hypothyroidism, adrenal fatigue, MS, chronic fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome, and a host of other syndromes. > > Cancer is now close to being expected to develop in 1 out of every 2 people in their lifetime. > > Antibiotic resistant infections are increasing at an alarming rate. > > Approximately 90% of medication can only suppress symptoms of disease with no ability to fix or cure the diseases. > > Possibly most worrying is that the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta has stated that for the first time in history those born after the year 2000 are expected to die before their parents - a truly frightening prospect. > > We have created different diagnostic boxes in which to fit these "diseases." But often we do not fit into any one of them neatly. The modern westerner in most cases fits into a rather lumpy picture of overlapping neurological and psychiatric conditions. This picture leads us to the fact that these conditions are related to each other by similar underlying causes. > > 85% of the body's immune system can be found in the gut> > Not many people know that an adult on average carries 2 kg of bacteria in the gut. There are more cells in that microbial mass than there are cells in an entire human body. It is a highly organised micro-world, where certain species of bacteria have to predominate to keep us healthy physically and mentally. Their role in our health is so monumental that we simply cannot afford to ignore them. > > A typical modern mother was probably not breast-fed when she was a baby, because she was born in the 60s or 70s when breast-feeding went out of fashion. Why is it important? > > Because it is well known now that bottle-fed babies develop completely different gut flora compared to breast-fed babies. This compromised gut flora in a bottle-fed baby later on predisposes her to many health problems. Having acquired compromised gut flora from the start, a typical modern mum had quite a few courses of antibiotics in her childhood and youth for various infections. It is a well known fact that antibiotics have a serious damaging effect on gut flora, because they wipe out the beneficial strains of bacteria in the gut. At the age of 16, and sometimes even earlier, the modern mum was put on a contraceptive pill, which she took for quite a few years before starting a family. > > Contraceptive pills have a devastating effect on the beneficial (good) bacteria in the gut. > > One of the major functions of the good bacteria in the gut flora is controlling about 500 different species of pathogenic (bad) and opportunistic microbes known to science. When the beneficial bacteria get destroyed the opportunists get a special opportunity to grow into large colonies and occupy large areas of the digestive tract. A modern diet of processed and fast foods provide perfect nourishment for these pathogens and that is a typical diet a modern mum had as a child and a young adult.> > As a result of all these factors a modern mum has seriously compromised gut flora by the time she is ready to have children. The most common health problems in mothers are digestive abnormalities, allergies, autoimmunity, PMS, chronic fatigue, headaches and skin problems.> > Whatever microbial flora the mother has she passes to her new-born child. And indeed clinical signs of gut dysbiosis (abnormal gut flora) are present in almost 100% of mothers of children with neurological and psychiatric conditions.> > The vital functions of gut flora> > Gut flora is something we do not think much about. And yet the number of functions the gut flora fulfills is so vital for us that if some day our digestive tract got sterilised we probably would not survive. > > The first and very important function is appropriate digestion and absorption of food. If a child does not acquire normal balanced gut flora, then the child will not digest and absorb foods properly, developing multiple nutritional deficiencies. And that is what we commonly see in children with learning disabilities, psychiatric problems, and allergies. > > Many of these children are malnourished. Even in the cases where the child may grow well, testing reveals some typical nutritional deficiencies in many important minerals, vitamins, essential fats, many amino-acids and other nutrients. The most common deficiencies, recorded in these children, are in magnesium, zinc, selenium, copper, calcium, manganese, sulphur, phosphorus, iron, potassium, vanadium, boron, vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C, A, D, folic acid, pantothenic acid, omega-3, 6, 9 fatty acids, taurine, alpha-ketoglutaric acid, glutathione and many other amino-acids.> > This usual list of nutritional deficiencies, commonly seen in these children, includes some of the most important nutrients for normal development of the child's brain, immune system, and the body as a whole. > > In addition to promoting normal digestion and absorption of food, healthy gut flora actively synthesise various nutrients: vitamin K, pantothenic acid, folic acid, thiamine (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), niacin (vitamin B3), pyridoxine (vitamin B6), ciancobalamine (vitamin B12), various amino-acids, and proteins. When tested, people with gut dysbiosis always present with deficiencies of these nutrients. Clinical experience shows that restoring the beneficial bacteria in their gut is the best way to deal with these deficiencies. > > The majority of children with neurological and psychiatric conditions look pale and pasty. When tested, they show various stages of anaemia, which is not surprising. To have healthy blood we require many different nutrients: vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, K, A, D, etc), minerals (iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, cobalt, selenium, boron, etc.), essential amino-acids, and fats. These children are not only unable to absorb these nutrients from food - their ability to produce many of them in the body is also damaged.> > What's more, people with damaged gut flora often have particular groups of pathogenic bacteria growing in their gut, including iron-loving bacteria (Actinomyces spp., Mycobacterium spp., pathogenic strains of E.Coli, Corynebacterium spp. and many others). These bacteria consume whatever iron the the diet provides, leaving that person deficient in iron. Unfortunately, supplementing iron only makes these bacteria grow stronger and does not remedy anaemia. To treat anaemia, the person requires all the nutrients we have mentioned, many of which healthy gut flora supply. > > Gut flora protect and nourish the digestive tract> > In addition to taking a direct part in nourishing the body, beneficial bacteria in the gut act as the housekeepers for the digestive tract. They coat the entire surface of the gut, protecting it from invaders and toxins by providing a natural barrier and producing a lot of antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal substances.> > At the same time, they provide the gut lining with nourishment. It is estimated that 60-70% of the energy that the gut lining derives is from the activity of bacteria which live on its surface.> > It is no surprise, then, that when the gut flora is abnormal the digestive tract itself cannot be healthy. Indeed, most children with learning disabilities, psychiatric disorders and allergies present with digestive problems. In many cases these problems are severe enough for the parents to talk about them first. > > In some cases they may not be very severe, but when asked direct questions the parents describe that their child never had normal stool, that their child suffered from colic as a baby, and that tummy pains and flatulence are a common part of the picture. In those cases where these children have been examined by gastro-enterologists, inflammatory process in the gut was found along with faecal compaction and an over-spill syndrome.> > The most recent research was performed at the Royal Free Hospital in London by Dr. Wakefield and his team. They found an inflammatory condition in the bowel of autistic children, which they have named Autistic Enterocolitis.> > Schizophrenic patients were always known to have serious digestive problems. Dr. Curtis Dohan, MD has devoted many years to researching digestive abnormalities in schizophrenia. He found a lot of similarities between coeliac disease and the state of the digestive tract in schizophrenics. > > In my clinical practice, I see that long before these patients develop psychotic symptoms they suffer from digestive problems and all other typical symptoms of gut dysbiosis and have done so pretty much from the start of their lives. Children and young adults with ADHD/ADD, OCD, depression and other neuropsychological problems are very often reported to suffer from digestive abnormalities though there have not been formal studies published yet. > > Symptoms of gut dysbiosis> > What other symptoms of gut dysbiosis do we know? Well-functioning gut flora is the right hand of our immune system. The beneficial bacteria in the gut ensure appropriate production of different immune cells, immunoglobulins, and other parts of the immune system. But most importantly, they keep the immune system in the right balance. What typically happens in a person with gut dysbiosis is that two major arms of their immune system, Th1 and Th2, get out of balance with underactive Th1 and overactive Th2. As a result, the immune system starts reacting to most environmental stimuli in an allergic or atopic kind of way. > > A baby is born with an immature immune system. Establishment of a healthy balance of gut flora in the first few days of life plays a crucial role in the appropriate maturation of the immune system. If the baby does not acquire appropriate gut flora then the baby is left immune compromised. The result is lots of infections followed by lots of courses of antibiotics, which damage the child's gut flora and immune system even further.> > The most common infections in the first two years of life in the children with neurological, psychological, and atopic disorders are ear infections, chest infections, sore throats, and impetigo.> > At the same time, in the first two years of life the child receives a lot of vaccinations. A child with compromised immune system does not react to vaccinations in a predicted way. In most cases, vaccines deepen the damage to the immune system and provide a source of chronic persistent viral infections and autoimmune problems in these children.> > A considerable amount of research has been published regarding the state of the immune system in children with learning disabilities and psychiatric problems. The research shows deep abnormalities in all major cell groups and immunoglobulins in these children. The most common autoantibodies found are to myelin basic protein (MBP) and neuron-axon filament protein (NSFP). These antibodies attack the child's brain and the rest of the nervous system. > > So, the modern child did not get normal gut flora from the start and then got it damaged even further by repeated courses of antibiotics and vaccinations. As a result, these children commonly suffer from digestive problems, allergies, asthma, and eczema.> > For children who then go on to develop neurological and psychiatric problems, something even more terrible happens. Without control of the beneficial bacteria, different opportunistic and pathogenic bacteria, viruses, and fungi have a good chance to occupy large territories in the digestive tract of the child and grow large colonies.> > Two particular groups which are most commonly found on testing are yeasts (including Candida species) and Clostridia family. These pathogenic microbes start digesting food in their own way, producing large amounts of various toxic substances which get absorbed into the blood stream and are carried to the brain, where they cross the blood-brain barrier.> > The number and mixture of toxins can be very individual, causing a variety of neurological and psychological symptoms. Due to the absence or greatly reduced numbers of beneficial bacteria in the gut flora, instead of being a source of nourishment the child's digestive system becomes a major source of toxicity in the body. > > What kind of toxins are we talking about? > > There are many toxins which have not been studied very well yet. But some toxins have received a considerable amount of research. Let us have a look at them.> > Acetaldehyde and alcohol - what have these substances got to do with children? The most common pathogenic microbes shown to overgrow in the digestive systems of children with neuropsychological conditions and allergies are yeasts, particularly Candida species. Yeasts ferment dietary carbohydrates, producing alcohol and its by-product, acetaldehyde.> Let us see what a constant exposure to alcohol and acetaldehyde does to the body. The effects include:> a.. Liver damage with reduced ability to detoxify drugs, pollutants, and other toxins.> > > b.. Inability of the liver to dispose of old neurotransmitters, hormones, and other byproducts of normal metabolism. As a result, these substances accumulate in the body, causing behavioural abnormalities and many other problems.> > > c.. Degeneration of the pancreas with reduced ability to produce pancreatic enzymes, which impairs digestion. > > > d.. Reduced ability of the stomach wall to produce stomach acid.> > > e.. Damage to immune system.> > > f.. Brain damage with lack of self-control, impaired co-ordination, impaired speech, development, aggression, mental retardation, loss of memory and stupor. > > > g.. Peripheral nerve damage with altered senses and muscle weakness. > > > h.. Direct muscle tissue damage with altered ability to contract and relax plus muscle weakness. > > > i.. Nutritional deficiencies from damaging effect on digestion and absorption of most vitamins, minerals and amino acids. Deficiencies in vitamins B and A are particularly common. > > > j.. Alteration of metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids in the body.> > Alcohol has an ability to enhance the toxicity of most common drugs, pollutants, and other toxins. Acetaldehyde is considered to be the most toxic of alcohol by-products. It is the chemical which gives us the feeling of having a hangover. Anybody who has experienced a hangover can tell you how dreadful he or she felt.> > Children who acquire abnormal gut flora with a lot of yeast from the start may never know any other feeling. Acetaldehyde has a large variety of toxic influences on the body. One of the most devastating influences of this chemical is its ability to alter the structure of proteins. Acetaldehyde-altered proteins are thought to be responsible for many autoimmune reactions. Children with neuropsychological problems are commonly found to have antibodies against their own tissues. > Other toxins include:> > Clostridia neurotoxins. There are about 100 different Clostridia species known so far. They are present in the stools of people with autism, schizophrenia, psychosis, severe depression, muscle paralysis, muscle tonus abnormalities, and some other neurological and psychiatric conditions. Many Clostridia species are normal inhabitants of a human gut. For example, Clostridium tetani is routinely found in the gut of healthy humans and animals. > > Everybody knows that tetanus is a deadly disease, due to an extremely powerful neurotoxin Clostridium tetani produces. Clostridium tetani, which lives in the gut, is normally controlled by the beneficial bacteria and does us no harm, because its toxin can not get through the healthy gut wall. Unfortunately, the children we are discussing do not have a healthy gut wall. In gut dysbiosis this powerful neurotoxin may well get absorbed through the damaged gut lining and then cross the blood-brain barrier affecting the child's mental development.> > Many other species of Clostridia (perfringens, novyi, septicum, histolyticum, sordelli, aerofoetidum, tertium, sporogenes, etc) produce toxins similar to tetanus toxin as well as many other toxins. Dr. Shaw at Great Plains Laboratories describes in detail the number of autistic children who showed significant improvement in their development and biochemical tests while on anti-Clostridia medication. Unfortunately, as soon as the medication was stopped the children slipped back into autism, because these children do not have the healthy gut flora to control Clostridia and prevent their toxins from traveling through the gut lining into the bloodstream.> > In many cases, Clostridia were not identified in the stools of these children because Clostridia are strict anaerobes and are very difficult to study. We need to come up with some better ways of testing for these potent pathogens.> > Yeasts and Clostridia have been given a special opportunity in the era of antibiotics. Broad-spectrum antibiotics do not touch them while they do kill the beneficial bacteria in the gut, which are capable of controlling the yeasts and Clostridia. So, after every course of antibiotics, these two pathogenic groups get out of control and overgrow. The children that we are talking about usually are exposed to numerous courses of antibiotics pretty much from the beginning of their lives. > > Gluteomorphins and casomorphins or opiates from gluten and casein. Opiates are drugs - such as opium, morphine and heroin - which are commonly used by drug addicts. What have they got to do with children?> > Gluten is a protein present in grains - mainly wheat, rye, oats, and barley. Casein is a milk protein, present in cow, goat, sheep, human, and all other milk and milk products. In the bodies of children and adults with autism and schizophrenia, these proteins do not get digested properly because their digestive systems are full of abnormal microbial flora. As a result of misdigestion, gluten and casein turn into substances with chemical structure similar to opiates such as morphine and heroin. > > There has been quite a substantial amount of research conducted in this area by Dohan, Reichelt, Shattock, Cade and others, in which gluten and casein peptides, called gluteomorphin and casomorphin, were detected in the urine of schizophrenic patients and autistic children. Incidentally, these substances were also found in patients with depression and rheumatoid arthritis. These opiates from wheat and milk get through the blood-brain barrier and block certain areas of the brain, just like morphine or heroin would do, causing various neurological and psychological symptoms. Based on this research, the gluten- and casein-free diet (GFCF diet) has been developed, which helps a lot of children and adults with autism and schizophrenia.> > Dermorphin and deltorphin. These are two frightening toxic substances with opiate structure that have been found in autistic children by biochemist Alan Friedman, PhD.> > Dermorphin and deltorphin were first identified on the skin of a poison dart frog in South America. Native people used to dip their darts into the mucous on these frogs in order to paralyse their enemy, because deltorphin and dermorphin are extremely potent neurotoxins. Dr. Friedman believes that it is not the frog that produces these neurotoxins, but rather a fungus which grows on the skin of this frog. It is possible that this fungus grows in the gut of autistic children, supplying their bodies with dermorphin and deltorphin.> > Organic acid testing now available in many laboratories around the world can identify various metabolites of microbial activity taking place in the gut which are absorbed and then excreted in the child's urine. Many of these metabolites are highly poisonous substances.> > Low Serum Sulphate is a common finding in these children. It is an indirect indication of toxicity in the body because sulphates are essential for many detoxification processes and the normal metabolism of brain neurotransmitters. In many cases the child may be getting plenty of sulphates through the diet, but they all get consumed by the detox pathways struggling with the river of toxicity which is constantly coming from the child's gut.> > At the same time, another large group of bacteria which commonly overgrow in the gut dysbiosis situation are sulphate-reducing bacteria, which make sulphur unavailable for the body to use. These bacteria metabolise sulphate coming from food into sulphites, many of which are toxic. Hydrogen sulphide, for example, is the gas with the rotten egg smell. Some parents of autistic, hyperactive, and other children tell me that their child's stool has this characteristic smell.> > The importance of re-establishing gut flora> > The mixture of toxicity in each child can be quite individual and different. But what they all have in common is gut dysbiosis. The toxicity, which is produced by the abnormal microbial mass in these children, establishes a link between the gut and the brain. These children can present with symptoms of autism, ADHD, ADD, OCD, dyslexia, dyspraxia, schizophrenia, depression, sleep disorders, allergies, asthma and eczema in any possible combination.> These are the children who fall in the gap in our medical knowledge. Any child with a learning disability, neurological or psychological problems, or allergies should be thoroughly examined for gut dysbiosis. Re-establishing normal gut flora and treating the digestive system of the child has to be the number one treatment for these disorders, before considering any other treatments with drugs or otherwise. > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------> Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.>

Patty,

Where do you obtain Potassium Compouns Salts, as for the first time

my potassium is low.

Lynda

At 10:55 PM 1/19/2008, you wrote:

>Lea,

>

>Eating oranges and bananas may provide some potassium, but actually,

>there are other foods higher in potassium than those. Figs, dates

>and prunes, for example, are higher. If you can, eat prunes and

>drink prune juice as well.

>

>Has your doctor suggested supplementing with potassium at all?

>If not, has he said why not? Perhaps he is concerned about

>fibrillation and/or cardiac arrest, but this would be due to the type

>of potassium given.

>

>In the Gerson therapy, supplements of Potassium Compound salts are

>used, and they are used safely. I have purchased these compound

>salts and used them myself. They are a 10% solution of gluconate,

>acetate and phosphate. This solution was developed by Dr. Gerson

>after experimenting with many different types of potassium, and this

>combination was found to be most effective in driving potassium into

>the cells.

>

>Perhaps your doctor could look into supplementing with these safer

>compound salts, rather than potassium chloride.

>

>Here is a link regarding the potassium used in the Gerson Healing

>therapy:

>

><http://www.gerson.org/g_therapy/faq.asp?id=18>http://www.gerson.org/g_therapy/\

faq.asp?id=18

>

>Ask your doctor, Lea, and hopefully he will look into this for you.

>Patty

>

>

> >

> > Darling Patty;

> >

> > My Potassium levels are low, and this is frightening me. What

>should I do to repair this? They told me to eat oranges and bananas,

>but that is not helping.

> >

> > Thank you...love you so....Lea

> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

> > Gut health VERY IMPORTANT TO IMMUNE

>SYSTEM!

> >

> >

> > In Gut and Psychology Syndrome, British neurologist and

>nutritionist Natasha -McBride, MD reveals the connection

>between the gut flora - the microorganisms in the digestive tract -

>and the brain.

> > -McBride illuminates the gut's vital role in

>supporting the full range of our mental and physical health. Her

>findings relate to both children and adults.

> > Medinform Publishing, 2004

> > ISBN 978-0954852009

> > 266 pages

> >

> >

> > We live in a world of epidemics

> > 85% of the body's immune system can be found in the gut

> > The vital functions of gut flora

> > Gut flora protect and nourish the digestive tract

> > Symptoms of gut dysbiosis

> > What kind of toxins are we talking about?

> > The importance of re-establishing gut flora

> >

> > We live in a world of epidemics

> >

> > Fifteen years ago, autistic spectrum disorders affected one in

>10,000 children. Today in the West, on average one in 200 children

>are diagnosed on the autistic spectrum.

> >

> > Millions of children are taking brain altering medications such

>as Ritalin to combat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder

>(ADHD/ADD) and depression while many millions more are being

>diagnosed with other learning problems with labels like dyslexia and

>dyspraxia.

> >

> > How many families do you know personally who complain of being

>plagued by allergies, eczema, and asthma?

> >

> > Other epidemics include schizophrenia and obsessive compulsive

>disorder (OCD), which was unheard of only a few decades ago and now

>affects 2 million people in the United Kingdom alone.

> >

> > Many other neuropsychological and psychiatric problems in

>children and young adults are becoming more and more common.

> >

> > Chronic degenerative diseases afflict over 120 million

>Americans with 50 million more suffering from one or more auto-immune

>diseases such as type 2 diabetes, hypothyroidism, adrenal fatigue,

>MS, chronic fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome, and a host of other

>syndromes.

> >

> > Cancer is now close to being expected to develop in 1 out of

>every 2 people in their lifetime.

> >

> > Antibiotic resistant infections are increasing at an alarming

>rate.

> >

> > Approximately 90% of medication can only suppress symptoms of

>disease with no ability to fix or cure the diseases.

> >

> > Possibly most worrying is that the Centers for Disease Control

>in Atlanta has stated that for the first time in history those born

>after the year 2000 are expected to die before their parents - a

>truly frightening prospect.

> >

> > We have created different diagnostic boxes in which to fit

>these " diseases. " But often we do not fit into any one of them

>neatly. The modern westerner in most cases fits into a rather lumpy

>picture of overlapping neurological and psychiatric conditions. This

>picture leads us to the fact that these conditions are related to

>each other by similar underlying causes.

> >

> > 85% of the body's immune system can be found in the gut

> >

> > Not many people know that an adult on average carries 2 kg of

>bacteria in the gut. There are more cells in that microbial mass than

>there are cells in an entire human body. It is a highly organised

>micro-world, where certain species of bacteria have to predominate to

>keep us healthy physically and mentally. Their role in our health is

>so monumental that we simply cannot afford to ignore them.

> >

> > A typical modern mother was probably not breast-fed when she

>was a baby, because she was born in the 60s or 70s when breast-

>feeding went out of fashion. Why is it important?

> >

> > Because it is well known now that bottle-fed babies develop

>completely different gut flora compared to breast-fed babies. This

>compromised gut flora in a bottle-fed baby later on predisposes her

>to many health problems. Having acquired compromised gut flora from

>the start, a typical modern mum had quite a few courses of

>antibiotics in her childhood and youth for various infections. It is

>a well known fact that antibiotics have a serious damaging effect on

>gut flora, because they wipe out the beneficial strains of bacteria

>in the gut. At the age of 16, and sometimes even earlier, the modern

>mum was put on a contraceptive pill, which she took for quite a few

>years before starting a family.

> >

> > Contraceptive pills have a devastating effect on the beneficial

>(good) bacteria in the gut.

> >

> > One of the major functions of the good bacteria in the gut

>flora is controlling about 500 different species of pathogenic (bad)

>and opportunistic microbes known to science. When the beneficial

>bacteria get destroyed the opportunists get a special opportunity to

>grow into large colonies and occupy large areas of the digestive

>tract. A modern diet of processed and fast foods provide perfect

>nourishment for these pathogens and that is a typical diet a modern

>mum had as a child and a young adult.

> >

> > As a result of all these factors a modern mum has seriously

>compromised gut flora by the time she is ready to have children. The

>most common health problems in mothers are digestive abnormalities,

>allergies, autoimmunity, PMS, chronic fatigue, headaches and skin

>problems.

> >

> > Whatever microbial flora the mother has she passes to her new-

>born child. And indeed clinical signs of gut dysbiosis (abnormal gut

>flora) are present in almost 100% of mothers of children with

>neurological and psychiatric conditions.

> >

> > The vital functions of gut flora

> >

> > Gut flora is something we do not think much about. And yet the

>number of functions the gut flora fulfills is so vital for us that if

>some day our digestive tract got sterilised we probably would not

>survive.

> >

> > The first and very important function is appropriate digestion

>and absorption of food. If a child does not acquire normal balanced

>gut flora, then the child will not digest and absorb foods properly,

>developing multiple nutritional deficiencies. And that is what we

>commonly see in children with learning disabilities, psychiatric

>problems, and allergies.

> >

> > Many of these children are malnourished. Even in the cases

>where the child may grow well, testing reveals some typical

>nutritional deficiencies in many important minerals, vitamins,

>essential fats, many amino-acids and other nutrients. The most common

>deficiencies, recorded in these children, are in magnesium, zinc,

>selenium, copper, calcium, manganese, sulphur, phosphorus, iron,

>potassium, vanadium, boron, vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C, A, D,

>folic acid, pantothenic acid, omega-3, 6, 9 fatty acids, taurine,

>alpha-ketoglutaric acid, glutathione and many other amino-acids.

> >

> > This usual list of nutritional deficiencies, commonly seen in

>these children, includes some of the most important nutrients for

>normal development of the child's brain, immune system, and the body

>as a whole.

> >

> > In addition to promoting normal digestion and absorption of

>food, healthy gut flora actively synthesise various nutrients:

>vitamin K, pantothenic acid, folic acid, thiamine (vitamin B1),

>riboflavin (vitamin B2), niacin (vitamin B3), pyridoxine (vitamin

>B6), ciancobalamine (vitamin B12), various amino-acids, and proteins.

>When tested, people with gut dysbiosis always present with

>deficiencies of these nutrients. Clinical experience shows that

>restoring the beneficial bacteria in their gut is the best way to

>deal with these deficiencies.

> >

> > The majority of children with neurological and psychiatric

>conditions look pale and pasty. When tested, they show various stages

>of anaemia, which is not surprising. To have healthy blood we require

>many different nutrients: vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, K, A, D,

>etc), minerals (iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, cobalt, selenium,

>boron, etc.), essential amino-acids, and fats. These children are not

>only unable to absorb these nutrients from food - their ability to

>produce many of them in the body is also damaged.

> >

> > What's more, people with damaged gut flora often have

>particular groups of pathogenic bacteria growing in their gut,

>including iron-loving bacteria (Actinomyces spp., Mycobacterium spp.,

>pathogenic strains of E.Coli, Corynebacterium spp. and many others).

>These bacteria consume whatever iron the the diet provides, leaving

>that person deficient in iron. Unfortunately, supplementing iron only

>makes these bacteria grow stronger and does not remedy anaemia. To

>treat anaemia, the person requires all the nutrients we have

>mentioned, many of which healthy gut flora supply.

> >

> > Gut flora protect and nourish the digestive tract

> >

> > In addition to taking a direct part in nourishing the body,

>beneficial bacteria in the gut act as the housekeepers for the

>digestive tract. They coat the entire surface of the gut, protecting

>it from invaders and toxins by providing a natural barrier and

>producing a lot of antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal

>substances.

> >

> > At the same time, they provide the gut lining with nourishment.

>It is estimated that 60-70% of the energy that the gut lining derives

>is from the activity of bacteria which live on its surface.

> >

> > It is no surprise, then, that when the gut flora is abnormal

>the digestive tract itself cannot be healthy. Indeed, most children

>with learning disabilities, psychiatric disorders and allergies

>present with digestive problems. In many cases these problems are

>severe enough for the parents to talk about them first.

> >

> > In some cases they may not be very severe, but when asked

>direct questions the parents describe that their child never had

>normal stool, that their child suffered from colic as a baby, and

>that tummy pains and flatulence are a common part of the picture. In

>those cases where these children have been examined by gastro-

>enterologists, inflammatory process in the gut was found along with

>faecal compaction and an over-spill syndrome.

> >

> > The most recent research was performed at the Royal Free

>Hospital in London by Dr. Wakefield and his team. They found

>an inflammatory condition in the bowel of autistic children, which

>they have named Autistic Enterocolitis.

> >

> > Schizophrenic patients were always known to have serious

>digestive problems. Dr. Curtis Dohan, MD has devoted many years to

>researching digestive abnormalities in schizophrenia. He found a lot

>of similarities between coeliac disease and the state of the

>digestive tract in schizophrenics.

> >

> > In my clinical practice, I see that long before these patients

>develop psychotic symptoms they suffer from digestive problems and

>all other typical symptoms of gut dysbiosis and have done so pretty

>much from the start of their lives. Children and young adults with

>ADHD/ADD, OCD, depression and other neuropsychological problems are

>very often reported to suffer from digestive abnormalities though

>there have not been formal studies published yet.

> >

> > Symptoms of gut dysbiosis

> >

> > What other symptoms of gut dysbiosis do we know? Well-

>functioning gut flora is the right hand of our immune system. The

>beneficial bacteria in the gut ensure appropriate production of

>different immune cells, immunoglobulins, and other parts of the

>immune system. But most importantly, they keep the immune system in

>the right balance. What typically happens in a person with gut

>dysbiosis is that two major arms of their immune system, Th1 and Th2,

>get out of balance with underactive Th1 and overactive Th2. As a

>result, the immune system starts reacting to most environmental

>stimuli in an allergic or atopic kind of way.

> >

> > A baby is born with an immature immune system. Establishment of

>a healthy balance of gut flora in the first few days of life plays a

>crucial role in the appropriate maturation of the immune system. If

>the baby does not acquire appropriate gut flora then the baby is left

>immune compromised. The result is lots of infections followed by lots

>of courses of antibiotics, which damage the child's gut flora and

>immune system even further.

> >

> > The most common infections in the first two years of life in

>the children with neurological, psychological, and atopic disorders

>are ear infections, chest infections, sore throats, and impetigo.

> >

> > At the same time, in the first two years of life the child

>receives a lot of vaccinations. A child with compromised immune

>system does not react to vaccinations in a predicted way. In most

>cases, vaccines deepen the damage to the immune system and provide a

>source of chronic persistent viral infections and autoimmune problems

>in these children.

> >

> > A considerable amount of research has been published regarding

>the state of the immune system in children with learning disabilities

>and psychiatric problems. The research shows deep abnormalities in

>all major cell groups and immunoglobulins in these children. The most

>common autoantibodies found are to myelin basic protein (MBP) and

>neuron-axon filament protein (NSFP). These antibodies attack the

>child's brain and the rest of the nervous system.

> >

> > So, the modern child did not get normal gut flora from the

>start and then got it damaged even further by repeated courses of

>antibiotics and vaccinations. As a result, these children commonly

>suffer from digestive problems, allergies, asthma, and eczema.

> >

> > For children who then go on to develop neurological and

>psychiatric problems, something even more terrible happens. Without

>control of the beneficial bacteria, different opportunistic and

>pathogenic bacteria, viruses, and fungi have a good chance to occupy

>large territories in the digestive tract of the child and grow large

>colonies.

> >

> > Two particular groups which are most commonly found on testing

>are yeasts (including Candida species) and Clostridia family. These

>pathogenic microbes start digesting food in their own way, producing

>large amounts of various toxic substances which get absorbed into the

>blood stream and are carried to the brain, where they cross the blood-

>brain barrier.

> >

> > The number and mixture of toxins can be very individual,

>causing a variety of neurological and psychological symptoms. Due to

>the absence or greatly reduced numbers of beneficial bacteria in the

>gut flora, instead of being a source of nourishment the child's

>digestive system becomes a major source of toxicity in the body.

> >

> > What kind of toxins are we talking about?

> >

> > There are many toxins which have not been studied very well

>yet. But some toxins have received a considerable amount of research.

>Let us have a look at them.

> >

> > Acetaldehyde and alcohol - what have these substances got to do

>with children? The most common pathogenic microbes shown to overgrow

>in the digestive systems of children with neuropsychological

>conditions and allergies are yeasts, particularly Candida species.

>Yeasts ferment dietary carbohydrates, producing alcohol and its by-

>product, acetaldehyde.

> > Let us see what a constant exposure to alcohol and acetaldehyde

>does to the body. The effects include:

> > a.. Liver damage with reduced ability to detoxify drugs,

>pollutants, and other toxins.

> >

> >

> > b.. Inability of the liver to dispose of old

>neurotransmitters, hormones, and other byproducts of normal

>metabolism. As a result, these substances accumulate in the body,

>causing behavioural abnormalities and many other problems.

> >

> >

> > c.. Degeneration of the pancreas with reduced ability to

>produce pancreatic enzymes, which impairs digestion.

> >

> >

> > d.. Reduced ability of the stomach wall to produce stomach

>acid.

> >

> >

> > e.. Damage to immune system.

> >

> >

> > f.. Brain damage with lack of self-control, impaired co-

>ordination, impaired speech, development, aggression, mental

>retardation, loss of memory and stupor.

> >

> >

> > g.. Peripheral nerve damage with altered senses and muscle

>weakness.

> >

> >

> > h.. Direct muscle tissue damage with altered ability to

>contract and relax plus muscle weakness.

> >

> >

> > i.. Nutritional deficiencies from damaging effect on

>digestion and absorption of most vitamins, minerals and amino acids.

>Deficiencies in vitamins B and A are particularly common.

> >

> >

> > j.. Alteration of metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, and

>lipids in the body.

> >

> > Alcohol has an ability to enhance the toxicity of most common

>drugs, pollutants, and other toxins. Acetaldehyde is considered to be

>the most toxic of alcohol by-products. It is the chemical which gives

>us the feeling of having a hangover. Anybody who has experienced a

>hangover can tell you how dreadful he or she felt.

> >

> > Children who acquire abnormal gut flora with a lot of yeast

>from the start may never know any other feeling. Acetaldehyde has a

>large variety of toxic influences on the body. One of the most

>devastating influences of this chemical is its ability to alter the

>structure of proteins. Acetaldehyde-altered proteins are thought to

>be responsible for many autoimmune reactions. Children with

>neuropsychological problems are commonly found to have antibodies

>against their own tissues.

> > Other toxins include:

> >

> > Clostridia neurotoxins. There are about 100 different

>Clostridia species known so far. They are present in the stools of

>people with autism, schizophrenia, psychosis, severe depression,

>muscle paralysis, muscle tonus abnormalities, and some other

>neurological and psychiatric conditions. Many Clostridia species are

>normal inhabitants of a human gut. For example, Clostridium tetani is

>routinely found in the gut of healthy humans and animals.

> >

> > Everybody knows that tetanus is a deadly disease, due to an

>extremely powerful neurotoxin Clostridium tetani produces.

>Clostridium tetani, which lives in the gut, is normally controlled by

>the beneficial bacteria and does us no harm, because its toxin can

>not get through the healthy gut wall. Unfortunately, the children we

>are discussing do not have a healthy gut wall. In gut dysbiosis this

>powerful neurotoxin may well get absorbed through the damaged gut

>lining and then cross the blood-brain barrier affecting the child's

>mental development.

> >

> > Many other species of Clostridia (perfringens, novyi, septicum,

>histolyticum, sordelli, aerofoetidum, tertium, sporogenes, etc)

>produce toxins similar to tetanus toxin as well as many other toxins.

>Dr. Shaw at Great Plains Laboratories describes in detail the

>number of autistic children who showed significant improvement in

>their development and biochemical tests while on anti-Clostridia

>medication. Unfortunately, as soon as the medication was stopped the

>children slipped back into autism, because these children do not have

>the healthy gut flora to control Clostridia and prevent their toxins

>from traveling through the gut lining into the bloodstream.

> >

> > In many cases, Clostridia were not identified in the stools of

>these children because Clostridia are strict anaerobes and are very

>difficult to study. We need to come up with some better ways of

>testing for these potent pathogens.

> >

> > Yeasts and Clostridia have been given a special opportunity in

>the era of antibiotics. Broad-spectrum antibiotics do not touch them

>while they do kill the beneficial bacteria in the gut, which are

>capable of controlling the yeasts and Clostridia. So, after every

>course of antibiotics, these two pathogenic groups get out of control

>and overgrow. The children that we are talking about usually are

>exposed to numerous courses of antibiotics pretty much from the

>beginning of their lives.

> >

> > Gluteomorphins and casomorphins or opiates from gluten and

>casein. Opiates are drugs - such as opium, morphine and heroin -

>which are commonly used by drug addicts. What have they got to do

>with children?

> >

> > Gluten is a protein present in grains - mainly wheat, rye,

>oats, and barley. Casein is a milk protein, present in cow, goat,

>sheep, human, and all other milk and milk products. In the bodies of

>children and adults with autism and schizophrenia, these proteins do

>not get digested properly because their digestive systems are full of

>abnormal microbial flora. As a result of misdigestion, gluten and

>casein turn into substances with chemical structure similar to

>opiates such as morphine and heroin.

> >

> > There has been quite a substantial amount of research conducted

>in this area by Dohan, Reichelt, Shattock, Cade and others, in which

>gluten and casein peptides, called gluteomorphin and casomorphin,

>were detected in the urine of schizophrenic patients and autistic

>children. Incidentally, these substances were also found in patients

>with depression and rheumatoid arthritis. These opiates from wheat

>and milk get through the blood-brain barrier and block certain areas

>of the brain, just like morphine or heroin would do, causing various

>neurological and psychological symptoms. Based on this research, the

>gluten- and casein-free diet (GFCF diet) has been developed, which

>helps a lot of children and adults with autism and schizophrenia.

> >

> > Dermorphin and deltorphin. These are two frightening toxic

>substances with opiate structure that have been found in autistic

>children by biochemist Alan Friedman, PhD.

> >

> > Dermorphin and deltorphin were first identified on the skin of

>a poison dart frog in South America. Native people used to dip their

>darts into the mucous on these frogs in order to paralyse their

>enemy, because deltorphin and dermorphin are extremely potent

>neurotoxins. Dr. Friedman believes that it is not the frog that

>produces these neurotoxins, but rather a fungus which grows on the

>skin of this frog. It is possible that this fungus grows in the gut

>of autistic children, supplying their bodies with dermorphin and

>deltorphin.

> >

> > Organic acid testing now available in many laboratories around

>the world can identify various metabolites of microbial activity

>taking place in the gut which are absorbed and then excreted in the

>child's urine. Many of these metabolites are highly poisonous

>substances.

> >

> > Low Serum Sulphate is a common finding in these children. It is

>an indirect indication of toxicity in the body because sulphates are

>essential for many detoxification processes and the normal metabolism

>of brain neurotransmitters. In many cases the child may be getting

>plenty of sulphates through the diet, but they all get consumed by

>the detox pathways struggling with the river of toxicity which is

>constantly coming from the child's gut.

> >

> > At the same time, another large group of bacteria which

>commonly overgrow in the gut dysbiosis situation are sulphate-

>reducing bacteria, which make sulphur unavailable for the body to

>use. These bacteria metabolise sulphate coming from food into

>sulphites, many of which are toxic. Hydrogen sulphide, for example,

>is the gas with the rotten egg smell. Some parents of autistic,

>hyperactive, and other children tell me that their child's stool has

>this characteristic smell.

> >

> > The importance of re-establishing gut flora

> >

> > The mixture of toxicity in each child can be quite individual

>and different. But what they all have in common is gut dysbiosis. The

>toxicity, which is produced by the abnormal microbial mass in these

>children, establishes a link between the gut and the brain. These

>children can present with symptoms of autism, ADHD, ADD, OCD,

>dyslexia, dyspraxia, schizophrenia, depression, sleep disorders,

>allergies, asthma and eczema in any possible combination.

> > These are the children who fall in the gap in our medical

>knowledge. Any child with a learning disability, neurological or

>psychological problems, or allergies should be thoroughly examined

>for gut dysbiosis. Re-establishing normal gut flora and treating the

>digestive system of the child has to be the number one treatment for

>these disorders, before considering any other treatments with drugs

>or otherwise.

> >

> >

> > ----------------------------------------------------------

>--------

> > Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

> >

>

>

Patty,

I have ordered the book.

I think the place you gave me also has all the supplements. Are they

less from Mexico? That would help.

I don't know if my fax even works to bring a fax in. I had problems

with the all function copy, print, fax, scan instructions.

Lynda

At 09:43 AM 1/20/2008, you wrote:

>Lynda,

>I ordered mine from the Mexican clinic where I got all of my Gerson

>therapy supplies.

>I have an order form and contact info if you would like it. I can fax

>it to you if you have a fax number.

>

>Before you use the potassium salts, I would suggest reading the

>Gerson protocol so you understand it. Dr. Gerson's daughter

>Charlotte has kept his work alive, and she wrote a book with Dr.

>Morton called " The Gerson Therapy " . In fact, with your

>situation with cancer right now, I would HIGHLY recommend this book

>to you! It has a chapter on a modified Gerson protocol during

>chemotherapy.

>

>I have a huge amount of respect for the Gerson family for what

>they've accomplished!

>Patty

>

>

> > > >

> > > > Darling Patty;

> > > >

> > > > My Potassium levels are low, and this is frightening me. What

> > >should I do to repair this? They told me to eat oranges and

>bananas,

> > >but that is not helping.

> > > >

> > > > Thank you...love you so....Lea

> > > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

> > > > Gut health VERY IMPORTANT TO IMMUNE

> > >SYSTEM!

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > In Gut and Psychology Syndrome, British neurologist and

> > >nutritionist Natasha -McBride, MD reveals the connection

> > >between the gut flora - the microorganisms in the digestive tract -

> > >and the brain.

> > > > -McBride illuminates the gut's vital role in

> > >supporting the full range of our mental and physical health. Her

> > >findings relate to both children and adults.

> > > > Medinform Publishing, 2004

> > > > ISBN 978-0954852009

> > > > 266 pages

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > We live in a world of epidemics

> > > > 85% of the body's immune system can be found in the gut

> > > > The vital functions of gut flora

> > > > Gut flora protect and nourish the digestive tract

> > > > Symptoms of gut dysbiosis

> > > > What kind of toxins are we talking about?

> > > > The importance of re-establishing gut flora

> > > >

> > > > We live in a world of epidemics

> > > >

> > > > Fifteen years ago, autistic spectrum disorders affected one in

> > >10,000 children. Today in the West, on average one in 200 children

> > >are diagnosed on the autistic spectrum.

> > > >

> > > > Millions of children are taking brain altering medications such

> > >as Ritalin to combat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder

> > >(ADHD/ADD) and depression while many millions more are being

> > >diagnosed with other learning problems with labels like dyslexia

>and

> > >dyspraxia.

> > > >

> > > > How many families do you know personally who complain of being

> > >plagued by allergies, eczema, and asthma?

> > > >

> > > > Other epidemics include schizophrenia and obsessive compulsive

> > >disorder (OCD), which was unheard of only a few decades ago and now

> > >affects 2 million people in the United Kingdom alone.

> > > >

> > > > Many other neuropsychological and psychiatric problems in

> > >children and young adults are becoming more and more common.

> > > >

> > > > Chronic degenerative diseases afflict over 120 million

> > >Americans with 50 million more suffering from one or more auto-

>immune

> > >diseases such as type 2 diabetes, hypothyroidism, adrenal fatigue,

> > >MS, chronic fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome, and a host of other

> > >syndromes.

> > > >

> > > > Cancer is now close to being expected to develop in 1 out of

> > >every 2 people in their lifetime.

> > > >

> > > > Antibiotic resistant infections are increasing at an alarming

> > >rate.

> > > >

> > > > Approximately 90% of medication can only suppress symptoms of

> > >disease with no ability to fix or cure the diseases.

> > > >

> > > > Possibly most worrying is that the Centers for Disease Control

> > >in Atlanta has stated that for the first time in history those born

> > >after the year 2000 are expected to die before their parents - a

> > >truly frightening prospect.

> > > >

> > > > We have created different diagnostic boxes in which to fit

> > >these " diseases. " But often we do not fit into any one of them

> > >neatly. The modern westerner in most cases fits into a rather lumpy

> > >picture of overlapping neurological and psychiatric conditions.

>This

> > >picture leads us to the fact that these conditions are related to

> > >each other by similar underlying causes.

> > > >

> > > > 85% of the body's immune system can be found in the gut

> > > >

> > > > Not many people know that an adult on average carries 2 kg of

> > >bacteria in the gut. There are more cells in that microbial mass

>than

> > >there are cells in an entire human body. It is a highly organised

> > >micro-world, where certain species of bacteria have to predominate

>to

> > >keep us healthy physically and mentally. Their role in our health

>is

> > >so monumental that we simply cannot afford to ignore them.

> > > >

> > > > A typical modern mother was probably not breast-fed when she

> > >was a baby, because she was born in the 60s or 70s when breast-

> > >feeding went out of fashion. Why is it important?

> > > >

> > > > Because it is well known now that bottle-fed babies develop

> > >completely different gut flora compared to breast-fed babies. This

> > >compromised gut flora in a bottle-fed baby later on predisposes her

> > >to many health problems. Having acquired compromised gut flora from

> > >the start, a typical modern mum had quite a few courses of

> > >antibiotics in her childhood and youth for various infections. It

>is

> > >a well known fact that antibiotics have a serious damaging effect

>on

> > >gut flora, because they wipe out the beneficial strains of bacteria

> > >in the gut. At the age of 16, and sometimes even earlier, the

>modern

> > >mum was put on a contraceptive pill, which she took for quite a few

> > >years before starting a family.

> > > >

> > > > Contraceptive pills have a devastating effect on the beneficial

> > >(good) bacteria in the gut.

> > > >

> > > > One of the major functions of the good bacteria in the gut

> > >flora is controlling about 500 different species of pathogenic

>(bad)

> > >and opportunistic microbes known to science. When the beneficial

> > >bacteria get destroyed the opportunists get a special opportunity

>to

> > >grow into large colonies and occupy large areas of the digestive

> > >tract. A modern diet of processed and fast foods provide perfect

> > >nourishment for these pathogens and that is a typical diet a modern

> > >mum had as a child and a young adult.

> > > >

> > > > As a result of all these factors a modern mum has seriously

> > >compromised gut flora by the time she is ready to have children.

>The

> > >most common health problems in mothers are digestive abnormalities,

> > >allergies, autoimmunity, PMS, chronic fatigue, headaches and skin

> > >problems.

> > > >

> > > > Whatever microbial flora the mother has she passes to her new-

> > >born child. And indeed clinical signs of gut dysbiosis (abnormal

>gut

> > >flora) are present in almost 100% of mothers of children with

> > >neurological and psychiatric conditions.

> > > >

> > > > The vital functions of gut flora

> > > >

> > > > Gut flora is something we do not think much about. And yet the

> > >number of functions the gut flora fulfills is so vital for us that

>if

> > >some day our digestive tract got sterilised we probably would not

> > >survive.

> > > >

> > > > The first and very important function is appropriate digestion

> > >and absorption of food. If a child does not acquire normal balanced

> > >gut flora, then the child will not digest and absorb foods

>properly,

> > >developing multiple nutritional deficiencies. And that is what we

> > >commonly see in children with learning disabilities, psychiatric

> > >problems, and allergies.

> > > >

> > > > Many of these children are malnourished. Even in the cases

> > >where the child may grow well, testing reveals some typical

> > >nutritional deficiencies in many important minerals, vitamins,

> > >essential fats, many amino-acids and other nutrients. The most

>common

> > >deficiencies, recorded in these children, are in magnesium, zinc,

> > >selenium, copper, calcium, manganese, sulphur, phosphorus, iron,

> > >potassium, vanadium, boron, vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C, A, D,

> > >folic acid, pantothenic acid, omega-3, 6, 9 fatty acids, taurine,

> > >alpha-ketoglutaric acid, glutathione and many other amino-acids.

> > > >

> > > > This usual list of nutritional deficiencies, commonly seen in

> > >these children, includes some of the most important nutrients for

> > >normal development of the child's brain, immune system, and the

>body

> > >as a whole.

> > > >

> > > > In addition to promoting normal digestion and absorption of

> > >food, healthy gut flora actively synthesise various nutrients:

> > >vitamin K, pantothenic acid, folic acid, thiamine (vitamin B1),

> > >riboflavin (vitamin B2), niacin (vitamin B3), pyridoxine (vitamin

> > >B6), ciancobalamine (vitamin B12), various amino-acids, and

>proteins.

> > >When tested, people with gut dysbiosis always present with

> > >deficiencies of these nutrients. Clinical experience shows that

> > >restoring the beneficial bacteria in their gut is the best way to

> > >deal with these deficiencies.

> > > >

> > > > The majority of children with neurological and psychiatric

> > >conditions look pale and pasty. When tested, they show various

>stages

> > >of anaemia, which is not surprising. To have healthy blood we

>require

> > >many different nutrients: vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, K, A, D,

> > >etc), minerals (iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, cobalt, selenium,

> > >boron, etc.), essential amino-acids, and fats. These children are

>not

> > >only unable to absorb these nutrients from food - their ability to

> > >produce many of them in the body is also damaged.

> > > >

> > > > What's more, people with damaged gut flora often have

> > >particular groups of pathogenic bacteria growing in their gut,

> > >including iron-loving bacteria (Actinomyces spp., Mycobacterium

>spp.,

> > >pathogenic strains of E.Coli, Corynebacterium spp. and many

>others).

> > >These bacteria consume whatever iron the the diet provides, leaving

> > >that person deficient in iron. Unfortunately, supplementing iron

>only

> > >makes these bacteria grow stronger and does not remedy anaemia. To

> > >treat anaemia, the person requires all the nutrients we have

> > >mentioned, many of which healthy gut flora supply.

> > > >

> > > > Gut flora protect and nourish the digestive tract

> > > >

> > > > In addition to taking a direct part in nourishing the body,

> > >beneficial bacteria in the gut act as the housekeepers for the

> > >digestive tract. They coat the entire surface of the gut,

>protecting

> > >it from invaders and toxins by providing a natural barrier and

> > >producing a lot of antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal

> > >substances.

> > > >

> > > > At the same time, they provide the gut lining with nourishment.

> > >It is estimated that 60-70% of the energy that the gut lining

>derives

> > >is from the activity of bacteria which live on its surface.

> > > >

> > > > It is no surprise, then, that when the gut flora is abnormal

> > >the digestive tract itself cannot be healthy. Indeed, most children

> > >with learning disabilities, psychiatric disorders and allergies

> > >present with digestive problems. In many cases these problems are

> > >severe enough for the parents to talk about them first.

> > > >

> > > > In some cases they may not be very severe, but when asked

> > >direct questions the parents describe that their child never had

> > >normal stool, that their child suffered from colic as a baby, and

> > >that tummy pains and flatulence are a common part of the picture.

>In

> > >those cases where these children have been examined by gastro-

> > >enterologists, inflammatory process in the gut was found along with

> > >faecal compaction and an over-spill syndrome.

> > > >

> > > > The most recent research was performed at the Royal Free

> > >Hospital in London by Dr. Wakefield and his team. They found

> > >an inflammatory condition in the bowel of autistic children, which

> > >they have named Autistic Enterocolitis.

> > > >

> > > > Schizophrenic patients were always known to have serious

> > >digestive problems. Dr. Curtis Dohan, MD has devoted many years to

> > >researching digestive abnormalities in schizophrenia. He found a

>lot

> > >of similarities between coeliac disease and the state of the

> > >digestive tract in schizophrenics.

> > > >

> > > > In my clinical practice, I see that long before these patients

> > >develop psychotic symptoms they suffer from digestive problems and

> > >all other typical symptoms of gut dysbiosis and have done so pretty

> > >much from the start of their lives. Children and young adults with

> > >ADHD/ADD, OCD, depression and other neuropsychological problems are

> > >very often reported to suffer from digestive abnormalities though

> > >there have not been formal studies published yet.

> > > >

> > > > Symptoms of gut dysbiosis

> > > >

> > > > What other symptoms of gut dysbiosis do we know? Well-

> > >functioning gut flora is the right hand of our immune system. The

> > >beneficial bacteria in the gut ensure appropriate production of

> > >different immune cells, immunoglobulins, and other parts of the

> > >immune system. But most importantly, they keep the immune system in

> > >the right balance. What typically happens in a person with gut

> > >dysbiosis is that two major arms of their immune system, Th1 and

>Th2,

> > >get out of balance with underactive Th1 and overactive Th2. As a

> > >result, the immune system starts reacting to most environmental

> > >stimuli in an allergic or atopic kind of way.

> > > >

> > > > A baby is born with an immature immune system. Establishment of

> > >a healthy balance of gut flora in the first few days of life plays

>a

> > >crucial role in the appropriate maturation of the immune system. If

> > >the baby does not acquire appropriate gut flora then the baby is

>left

> > >immune compromised. The result is lots of infections followed by

>lots

> > >of courses of antibiotics, which damage the child's gut flora and

> > >immune system even further.

> > > >

> > > > The most common infections in the first two years of life in

> > >the children with neurological, psychological, and atopic disorders

> > >are ear infections, chest infections, sore throats, and impetigo.

> > > >

> > > > At the same time, in the first two years of life the child

> > >receives a lot of vaccinations. A child with compromised immune

> > >system does not react to vaccinations in a predicted way. In most

> > >cases, vaccines deepen the damage to the immune system and provide

>a

> > >source of chronic persistent viral infections and autoimmune

>problems

> > >in these children.

> > > >

> > > > A considerable amount of research has been published regarding

> > >the state of the immune system in children with learning

>disabilities

> > >and psychiatric problems. The research shows deep abnormalities in

> > >all major cell groups and immunoglobulins in these children. The

>most

> > >common autoantibodies found are to myelin basic protein (MBP) and

> > >neuron-axon filament protein (NSFP). These antibodies attack the

> > >child's brain and the rest of the nervous system.

> > > >

> > > > So, the modern child did not get normal gut flora from the

> > >start and then got it damaged even further by repeated courses of

> > >antibiotics and vaccinations. As a result, these children commonly

> > >suffer from digestive problems, allergies, asthma, and eczema.

> > > >

> > > > For children who then go on to develop neurological and

> > >psychiatric problems, something even more terrible happens. Without

> > >control of the beneficial bacteria, different opportunistic and

> > >pathogenic bacteria, viruses, and fungi have a good chance to

>occupy

> > >large territories in the digestive tract of the child and grow

>large

> > >colonies.

> > > >

> > > > Two particular groups which are most commonly found on testing

> > >are yeasts (including Candida species) and Clostridia family. These

> > >pathogenic microbes start digesting food in their own way,

>producing

> > >large amounts of various toxic substances which get absorbed into

>the

> > >blood stream and are carried to the brain, where they cross the

>blood-

> > >brain barrier.

> > > >

> > > > The number and mixture of toxins can be very individual,

> > >causing a variety of neurological and psychological symptoms. Due

>to

> > >the absence or greatly reduced numbers of beneficial bacteria in

>the

> > >gut flora, instead of being a source of nourishment the child's

> > >digestive system becomes a major source of toxicity in the body.

> > > >

> > > > What kind of toxins are we talking about?

> > > >

> > > > There are many toxins which have not been studied very well

> > >yet. But some toxins have received a considerable amount of

>research.

> > >Let us have a look at them.

> > > >

> > > > Acetaldehyde and alcohol - what have these substances got to do

> > >with children? The most common pathogenic microbes shown to

>overgrow

> > >in the digestive systems of children with neuropsychological

> > >conditions and allergies are yeasts, particularly Candida species.

> > >Yeasts ferment dietary carbohydrates, producing alcohol and its by-

> > >product, acetaldehyde.

> > > > Let us see what a constant exposure to alcohol and acetaldehyde

> > >does to the body. The effects include:

> > > > a.. Liver damage with reduced ability to detoxify drugs,

> > >pollutants, and other toxins.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > b.. Inability of the liver to dispose of old

> > >neurotransmitters, hormones, and other byproducts of normal

> > >metabolism. As a result, these substances accumulate in the body,

> > >causing behavioural abnormalities and many other problems.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > c.. Degeneration of the pancreas with reduced ability to

> > >produce pancreatic enzymes, which impairs digestion.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > d.. Reduced ability of the stomach wall to produce stomach

> > >acid.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > e.. Damage to immune system.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > f.. Brain damage with lack of self-control, impaired co-

> > >ordination, impaired speech, development, aggression, mental

> > >retardation, loss of memory and stupor.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > g.. Peripheral nerve damage with altered senses and muscle

> > >weakness.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > h.. Direct muscle tissue damage with altered ability to

> > >contract and relax plus muscle weakness.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > i.. Nutritional deficiencies from damaging effect on

> > >digestion and absorption of most vitamins, minerals and amino

>acids.

> > >Deficiencies in vitamins B and A are particularly common.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > j.. Alteration of metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, and

> > >lipids in the body.

> > > >

> > > > Alcohol has an ability to enhance the toxicity of most common

> > >drugs, pollutants, and other toxins. Acetaldehyde is considered to

>be

> > >the most toxic of alcohol by-products. It is the chemical which

>gives

> > >us the feeling of having a hangover. Anybody who has experienced a

> > >hangover can tell you how dreadful he or she felt.

> > > >

> > > > Children who acquire abnormal gut flora with a lot of yeast

> > >from the start may never know any other feeling. Acetaldehyde has a

> > >large variety of toxic influences on the body. One of the most

> > >devastating influences of this chemical is its ability to alter the

> > >structure of proteins. Acetaldehyde-altered proteins are thought to

> > >be responsible for many autoimmune reactions. Children with

> > >neuropsychological problems are commonly found to have antibodies

> > >against their own tissues.

> > > > Other toxins include:

> > > >

> > > > Clostridia neurotoxins. There are about 100 different

> > >Clostridia species known so far. They are present in the stools of

> > >people with autism, schizophrenia, psychosis, severe depression,

> > >muscle paralysis, muscle tonus abnormalities, and some other

> > >neurological and psychiatric conditions. Many Clostridia species

>are

> > >normal inhabitants of a human gut. For example, Clostridium tetani

>is

> > >routinely found in the gut of healthy humans and animals.

> > > >

> > > > Everybody knows that tetanus is a deadly disease, due to an

> > >extremely powerful neurotoxin Clostridium tetani produces.

> > >Clostridium tetani, which lives in the gut, is normally controlled

>by

> > >the beneficial bacteria and does us no harm, because its toxin can

> > >not get through the healthy gut wall. Unfortunately, the children

>we

> > >are discussing do not have a healthy gut wall. In gut dysbiosis

>this

> > >powerful neurotoxin may well get absorbed through the damaged gut

> > >lining and then cross the blood-brain barrier affecting the child's

> > >mental development.

> > > >

> > > > Many other species of Clostridia (perfringens, novyi, septicum,

> > >histolyticum, sordelli, aerofoetidum, tertium, sporogenes, etc)

> > >produce toxins similar to tetanus toxin as well as many other

>toxins.

> > >Dr. Shaw at Great Plains Laboratories describes in detail

>the

> > >number of autistic children who showed significant improvement in

> > >their development and biochemical tests while on anti-Clostridia

> > >medication. Unfortunately, as soon as the medication was stopped

>the

> > >children slipped back into autism, because these children do not

>have

> > >the healthy gut flora to control Clostridia and prevent their

>toxins

> > >from traveling through the gut lining into the bloodstream.

> > > >

> > > > In many cases, Clostridia were not identified in the stools of

> > >these children because Clostridia are strict anaerobes and are very

> > >difficult to study. We need to come up with some better ways of

> > >testing for these potent pathogens.

> > > >

> > > > Yeasts and Clostridia have been given a special opportunity in

> > >the era of antibiotics. Broad-spectrum antibiotics do not touch

>them

> > >while they do kill the beneficial bacteria in the gut, which are

> > >capable of controlling the yeasts and Clostridia. So, after every

> > >course of antibiotics, these two pathogenic groups get out of

>control

> > >and overgrow. The children that we are talking about usually are

> > >exposed to numerous courses of antibiotics pretty much from the

> > >beginning of their lives.

> > > >

> > > > Gluteomorphins and casomorphins or opiates from gluten and

> > >casein. Opiates are drugs - such as opium, morphine and heroin -

> > >which are commonly used by drug addicts. What have they got to do

> > >with children?

> > > >

> > > > Gluten is a protein present in grains - mainly wheat, rye,

> > >oats, and barley. Casein is a milk protein, present in cow, goat,

> > >sheep, human, and all other milk and milk products. In the bodies

>of

> > >children and adults with autism and schizophrenia, these proteins

>do

> > >not get digested properly because their digestive systems are full

>of

> > >abnormal microbial flora. As a result of misdigestion, gluten and

> > >casein turn into substances with chemical structure similar to

> > >opiates such as morphine and heroin.

> > > >

> > > > There has been quite a substantial amount of research conducted

> > >in this area by Dohan, Reichelt, Shattock, Cade and others, in

>which

> > >gluten and casein peptides, called gluteomorphin and casomorphin,

> > >were detected in the urine of schizophrenic patients and autistic

> > >children. Incidentally, these substances were also found in

>patients

> > >with depression and rheumatoid arthritis. These opiates from wheat

> > >and milk get through the blood-brain barrier and block certain

>areas

> > >of the brain, just like morphine or heroin would do, causing

>various

> > >neurological and psychological symptoms. Based on this research,

>the

> > >gluten- and casein-free diet (GFCF diet) has been developed, which

> > >helps a lot of children and adults with autism and schizophrenia.

> > > >

> > > > Dermorphin and deltorphin. These are two frightening toxic

> > >substances with opiate structure that have been found in autistic

> > >children by biochemist Alan Friedman, PhD.

> > > >

> > > > Dermorphin and deltorphin were first identified on the skin of

> > >a poison dart frog in South America. Native people used to dip

>their

> > >darts into the mucous on these frogs in order to paralyse their

> > >enemy, because deltorphin and dermorphin are extremely potent

> > >neurotoxins. Dr. Friedman believes that it is not the frog that

> > >produces these neurotoxins, but rather a fungus which grows on the

> > >skin of this frog. It is possible that this fungus grows in the gut

> > >of autistic children, supplying their bodies with dermorphin and

> > >deltorphin.

> > > >

> > > > Organic acid testing now available in many laboratories around

> > >the world can identify various metabolites of microbial activity

> > >taking place in the gut which are absorbed and then excreted in the

> > >child's urine. Many of these metabolites are highly poisonous

> > >substances.

> > > >

> > > > Low Serum Sulphate is a common finding in these children. It is

> > >an indirect indication of toxicity in the body because sulphates

>are

> > >essential for many detoxification processes and the normal

>metabolism

> > >of brain neurotransmitters. In many cases the child may be getting

> > >plenty of sulphates through the diet, but they all get consumed by

> > >the detox pathways struggling with the river of toxicity which is

> > >constantly coming from the child's gut.

> > > >

> > > > At the same time, another large group of bacteria which

> > >commonly overgrow in the gut dysbiosis situation are sulphate-

> > >reducing bacteria, which make sulphur unavailable for the body to

> > >use. These bacteria metabolise sulphate coming from food into

> > >sulphites, many of which are toxic. Hydrogen sulphide, for example,

> > >is the gas with the rotten egg smell. Some parents of autistic,

> > >hyperactive, and other children tell me that their child's stool

>has

> > >this characteristic smell.

> > > >

> > > > The importance of re-establishing gut flora

> > > >

> > > > The mixture of toxicity in each child can be quite individual

> > >and different. But what they all have in common is gut dysbiosis.

>The

> > >toxicity, which is produced by the abnormal microbial mass in these

> > >children, establishes a link between the gut and the brain. These

> > >children can present with symptoms of autism, ADHD, ADD, OCD,

> > >dyslexia, dyspraxia, schizophrenia, depression, sleep disorders,

> > >allergies, asthma and eczema in any possible combination.

> > > > These are the children who fall in the gap in our medical

> > >knowledge. Any child with a learning disability, neurological or

> > >psychological problems, or allergies should be thoroughly examined

> > >for gut dysbiosis. Re-establishing normal gut flora and treating

>the

> > >digestive system of the child has to be the number one treatment

>for

> > >these disorders, before considering any other treatments with drugs

> > >or otherwise.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > ----------------------------------------------------------

> > >--------

> > > > Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

>

Patty,

My insurance covers Colorado. I have no $$ for anything that is not

covered by insurance. I can get supplements, but will not be going

to any clinic except the one in Boulder.

Lynda

At 10:37 AM 1/20/2008, you wrote:

>Lynda,

>I'm so glad you ordered the book. I am excited for your healing!

>

>That link with the potassium compound salts did also have a link for

>all the Gerson therapy supplies. I think by the time you add

>shipping and the Mexican tax, it would be just as cheap to get it all

>from the source in America. For instance, the potassium salts were

>$8 in Mexico, but $12 on that site.

>

>Lynda, you can get better. The Gerson therapy has healed thousands

>upon thousands of people, even in the last stages of cancer. It can

>be hard to follow, but it's not too awful. There is a clinic even in

>Hawaii. You just might be able to get to Hawaii after all!

>Patty

>

>

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Darling Patty;

> > > > > >

> > > > > > My Potassium levels are low, and this is frightening me.

>What

> > > > >should I do to repair this? They told me to eat oranges and

> > >bananas,

> > > > >but that is not helping.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Thank you...love you so....Lea

> > > > > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

> > > > > > Gut health VERY IMPORTANT TO IMMUNE

> > > > >SYSTEM!

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > In Gut and Psychology Syndrome, British neurologist and

> > > > >nutritionist Natasha -McBride, MD reveals the

>connection

> > > > >between the gut flora - the microorganisms in the digestive

>tract -

> > > > >and the brain.

> > > > > > -McBride illuminates the gut's vital role in

> > > > >supporting the full range of our mental and physical health.

>Her

> > > > >findings relate to both children and adults.

> > > > > > Medinform Publishing, 2004

> > > > > > ISBN 978-0954852009

> > > > > > 266 pages

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > We live in a world of epidemics

> > > > > > 85% of the body's immune system can be found in the gut

> > > > > > The vital functions of gut flora

> > > > > > Gut flora protect and nourish the digestive tract

> > > > > > Symptoms of gut dysbiosis

> > > > > > What kind of toxins are we talking about?

> > > > > > The importance of re-establishing gut flora

> > > > > >

> > > > > > We live in a world of epidemics

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Fifteen years ago, autistic spectrum disorders affected one

>in

> > > > >10,000 children. Today in the West, on average one in 200

>children

> > > > >are diagnosed on the autistic spectrum.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Millions of children are taking brain altering medications

>such

> > > > >as Ritalin to combat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder

> > > > >(ADHD/ADD) and depression while many millions more are being

> > > > >diagnosed with other learning problems with labels like

>dyslexia

> > >and

> > > > >dyspraxia.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > How many families do you know personally who complain of

>being

> > > > >plagued by allergies, eczema, and asthma?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Other epidemics include schizophrenia and obsessive

>compulsive

> > > > >disorder (OCD), which was unheard of only a few decades ago

>and now

> > > > >affects 2 million people in the United Kingdom alone.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Many other neuropsychological and psychiatric problems in

> > > > >children and young adults are becoming more and more common.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Chronic degenerative diseases afflict over 120 million

> > > > >Americans with 50 million more suffering from one or more auto-

> > >immune

> > > > >diseases such as type 2 diabetes, hypothyroidism, adrenal

>fatigue,

> > > > >MS, chronic fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome, and a host of

>other

> > > > >syndromes.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Cancer is now close to being expected to develop in 1 out of

> > > > >every 2 people in their lifetime.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Antibiotic resistant infections are increasing at an

>alarming

> > > > >rate.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Approximately 90% of medication can only suppress symptoms

>of

> > > > >disease with no ability to fix or cure the diseases.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Possibly most worrying is that the Centers for Disease

>Control

> > > > >in Atlanta has stated that for the first time in history those

>born

> > > > >after the year 2000 are expected to die before their parents -

>a

> > > > >truly frightening prospect.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > We have created different diagnostic boxes in which to fit

> > > > >these " diseases. " But often we do not fit into any one of them

> > > > >neatly. The modern westerner in most cases fits into a rather

>lumpy

> > > > >picture of overlapping neurological and psychiatric conditions.

> > >This

> > > > >picture leads us to the fact that these conditions are related

>to

> > > > >each other by similar underlying causes.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > 85% of the body's immune system can be found in the gut

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Not many people know that an adult on average carries 2 kg

>of

> > > > >bacteria in the gut. There are more cells in that microbial

>mass

> > >than

> > > > >there are cells in an entire human body. It is a highly

>organised

> > > > >micro-world, where certain species of bacteria have to

>predominate

> > >to

> > > > >keep us healthy physically and mentally. Their role in our

>health

> > >is

> > > > >so monumental that we simply cannot afford to ignore them.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A typical modern mother was probably not breast-fed when she

> > > > >was a baby, because she was born in the 60s or 70s when breast-

> > > > >feeding went out of fashion. Why is it important?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Because it is well known now that bottle-fed babies develop

> > > > >completely different gut flora compared to breast-fed babies.

>This

> > > > >compromised gut flora in a bottle-fed baby later on

>predisposes her

> > > > >to many health problems. Having acquired compromised gut flora

>from

> > > > >the start, a typical modern mum had quite a few courses of

> > > > >antibiotics in her childhood and youth for various infections.

>It

> > >is

> > > > >a well known fact that antibiotics have a serious damaging

>effect

> > >on

> > > > >gut flora, because they wipe out the beneficial strains of

>bacteria

> > > > >in the gut. At the age of 16, and sometimes even earlier, the

> > >modern

> > > > >mum was put on a contraceptive pill, which she took for quite

>a few

> > > > >years before starting a family.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Contraceptive pills have a devastating effect on the

>beneficial

> > > > >(good) bacteria in the gut.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > One of the major functions of the good bacteria in the gut

> > > > >flora is controlling about 500 different species of pathogenic

> > >(bad)

> > > > >and opportunistic microbes known to science. When the

>beneficial

> > > > >bacteria get destroyed the opportunists get a special

>opportunity

> > >to

> > > > >grow into large colonies and occupy large areas of the

>digestive

> > > > >tract. A modern diet of processed and fast foods provide

>perfect

> > > > >nourishment for these pathogens and that is a typical diet a

>modern

> > > > >mum had as a child and a young adult.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > As a result of all these factors a modern mum has seriously

> > > > >compromised gut flora by the time she is ready to have

>children.

> > >The

> > > > >most common health problems in mothers are digestive

>abnormalities,

> > > > >allergies, autoimmunity, PMS, chronic fatigue, headaches and

>skin

> > > > >problems.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Whatever microbial flora the mother has she passes to her

>new-

> > > > >born child. And indeed clinical signs of gut dysbiosis

>(abnormal

> > >gut

> > > > >flora) are present in almost 100% of mothers of children with

> > > > >neurological and psychiatric conditions.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The vital functions of gut flora

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Gut flora is something we do not think much about. And yet

>the

> > > > >number of functions the gut flora fulfills is so vital for us

>that

> > >if

> > > > >some day our digestive tract got sterilised we probably would

>not

> > > > >survive.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The first and very important function is appropriate

>digestion

> > > > >and absorption of food. If a child does not acquire normal

>balanced

> > > > >gut flora, then the child will not digest and absorb foods

> > >properly,

> > > > >developing multiple nutritional deficiencies. And that is what

>we

> > > > >commonly see in children with learning disabilities,

>psychiatric

> > > > >problems, and allergies.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Many of these children are malnourished. Even in the cases

> > > > >where the child may grow well, testing reveals some typical

> > > > >nutritional deficiencies in many important minerals, vitamins,

> > > > >essential fats, many amino-acids and other nutrients. The most

> > >common

> > > > >deficiencies, recorded in these children, are in magnesium,

>zinc,

> > > > >selenium, copper, calcium, manganese, sulphur, phosphorus,

>iron,

> > > > >potassium, vanadium, boron, vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C,

>A, D,

> > > > >folic acid, pantothenic acid, omega-3, 6, 9 fatty acids,

>taurine,

> > > > >alpha-ketoglutaric acid, glutathione and many other amino-

>acids.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > This usual list of nutritional deficiencies, commonly seen

>in

> > > > >these children, includes some of the most important nutrients

>for

> > > > >normal development of the child's brain, immune system, and the

> > >body

> > > > >as a whole.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > In addition to promoting normal digestion and absorption of

> > > > >food, healthy gut flora actively synthesise various nutrients:

> > > > >vitamin K, pantothenic acid, folic acid, thiamine (vitamin B1),

> > > > >riboflavin (vitamin B2), niacin (vitamin B3), pyridoxine

>(vitamin

> > > > >B6), ciancobalamine (vitamin B12), various amino-acids, and

> > >proteins.

> > > > >When tested, people with gut dysbiosis always present with

> > > > >deficiencies of these nutrients. Clinical experience shows that

> > > > >restoring the beneficial bacteria in their gut is the best way

>to

> > > > >deal with these deficiencies.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The majority of children with neurological and psychiatric

> > > > >conditions look pale and pasty. When tested, they show various

> > >stages

> > > > >of anaemia, which is not surprising. To have healthy blood we

> > >require

> > > > >many different nutrients: vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, K, A,

>D,

> > > > >etc), minerals (iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, cobalt,

>selenium,

> > > > >boron, etc.), essential amino-acids, and fats. These children

>are

> > >not

> > > > >only unable to absorb these nutrients from food - their

>ability to

> > > > >produce many of them in the body is also damaged.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > What's more, people with damaged gut flora often have

> > > > >particular groups of pathogenic bacteria growing in their gut,

> > > > >including iron-loving bacteria (Actinomyces spp., Mycobacterium

> > >spp.,

> > > > >pathogenic strains of E.Coli, Corynebacterium spp. and many

> > >others).

> > > > >These bacteria consume whatever iron the the diet provides,

>leaving

> > > > >that person deficient in iron. Unfortunately, supplementing

>iron

> > >only

> > > > >makes these bacteria grow stronger and does not remedy

>anaemia. To

> > > > >treat anaemia, the person requires all the nutrients we have

> > > > >mentioned, many of which healthy gut flora supply.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Gut flora protect and nourish the digestive tract

> > > > > >

> > > > > > In addition to taking a direct part in nourishing the body,

> > > > >beneficial bacteria in the gut act as the housekeepers for the

> > > > >digestive tract. They coat the entire surface of the gut,

> > >protecting

> > > > >it from invaders and toxins by providing a natural barrier and

> > > > >producing a lot of antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal

> > > > >substances.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > At the same time, they provide the gut lining with

>nourishment.

> > > > >It is estimated that 60-70% of the energy that the gut lining

> > >derives

> > > > >is from the activity of bacteria which live on its surface.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It is no surprise, then, that when the gut flora is abnormal

> > > > >the digestive tract itself cannot be healthy. Indeed, most

>children

> > > > >with learning disabilities, psychiatric disorders and allergies

> > > > >present with digestive problems. In many cases these problems

>are

> > > > >severe enough for the parents to talk about them first.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > In some cases they may not be very severe, but when asked

> > > > >direct questions the parents describe that their child never

>had

> > > > >normal stool, that their child suffered from colic as a baby,

>and

> > > > >that tummy pains and flatulence are a common part of the

>picture.

> > >In

> > > > >those cases where these children have been examined by gastro-

> > > > >enterologists, inflammatory process in the gut was found along

>with

> > > > >faecal compaction and an over-spill syndrome.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The most recent research was performed at the Royal Free

> > > > >Hospital in London by Dr. Wakefield and his team. They

>found

> > > > >an inflammatory condition in the bowel of autistic children,

>which

> > > > >they have named Autistic Enterocolitis.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Schizophrenic patients were always known to have serious

> > > > >digestive problems. Dr. Curtis Dohan, MD has devoted many

>years to

> > > > >researching digestive abnormalities in schizophrenia. He found

>a

> > >lot

> > > > >of similarities between coeliac disease and the state of the

> > > > >digestive tract in schizophrenics.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > In my clinical practice, I see that long before these

>patients

> > > > >develop psychotic symptoms they suffer from digestive problems

>and

> > > > >all other typical symptoms of gut dysbiosis and have done so

>pretty

> > > > >much from the start of their lives. Children and young adults

>with

> > > > >ADHD/ADD, OCD, depression and other neuropsychological

>problems are

> > > > >very often reported to suffer from digestive abnormalities

>though

> > > > >there have not been formal studies published yet.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Symptoms of gut dysbiosis

> > > > > >

> > > > > > What other symptoms of gut dysbiosis do we know? Well-

> > > > >functioning gut flora is the right hand of our immune system.

>The

> > > > >beneficial bacteria in the gut ensure appropriate production of

> > > > >different immune cells, immunoglobulins, and other parts of the

> > > > >immune system. But most importantly, they keep the immune

>system in

> > > > >the right balance. What typically happens in a person with gut

> > > > >dysbiosis is that two major arms of their immune system, Th1

>and

> > >Th2,

> > > > >get out of balance with underactive Th1 and overactive Th2. As

>a

> > > > >result, the immune system starts reacting to most environmental

> > > > >stimuli in an allergic or atopic kind of way.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A baby is born with an immature immune system.

>Establishment of

> > > > >a healthy balance of gut flora in the first few days of life

>plays

> > >a

> > > > >crucial role in the appropriate maturation of the immune

>system. If

> > > > >the baby does not acquire appropriate gut flora then the baby

>is

> > >left

> > > > >immune compromised. The result is lots of infections followed

>by

> > >lots

> > > > >of courses of antibiotics, which damage the child's gut flora

>and

> > > > >immune system even further.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The most common infections in the first two years of life in

> > > > >the children with neurological, psychological, and atopic

>disorders

> > > > >are ear infections, chest infections, sore throats, and

>impetigo.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > At the same time, in the first two years of life the child

> > > > >receives a lot of vaccinations. A child with compromised immune

> > > > >system does not react to vaccinations in a predicted way. In

>most

> > > > >cases, vaccines deepen the damage to the immune system and

>provide

> > >a

> > > > >source of chronic persistent viral infections and autoimmune

> > >problems

> > > > >in these children.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A considerable amount of research has been published

>regarding

> > > > >the state of the immune system in children with learning

> > >disabilities

> > > > >and psychiatric problems. The research shows deep

>abnormalities in

> > > > >all major cell groups and immunoglobulins in these children.

>The

> > >most

> > > > >common autoantibodies found are to myelin basic protein (MBP)

>and

> > > > >neuron-axon filament protein (NSFP). These antibodies attack

>the

> > > > >child's brain and the rest of the nervous system.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So, the modern child did not get normal gut flora from the

> > > > >start and then got it damaged even further by repeated courses

>of

> > > > >antibiotics and vaccinations. As a result, these children

>commonly

> > > > >suffer from digestive problems, allergies, asthma, and eczema.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > For children who then go on to develop neurological and

> > > > >psychiatric problems, something even more terrible happens.

>Without

> > > > >control of the beneficial bacteria, different opportunistic and

> > > > >pathogenic bacteria, viruses, and fungi have a good chance to

> > >occupy

> > > > >large territories in the digestive tract of the child and grow

> > >large

> > > > >colonies.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Two particular groups which are most commonly found on

>testing

> > > > >are yeasts (including Candida species) and Clostridia family.

>These

> > > > >pathogenic microbes start digesting food in their own way,

> > >producing

> > > > >large amounts of various toxic substances which get absorbed

>into

> > >the

> > > > >blood stream and are carried to the brain, where they cross the

> > >blood-

> > > > >brain barrier.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The number and mixture of toxins can be very individual,

> > > > >causing a variety of neurological and psychological symptoms.

>Due

> > >to

> > > > >the absence or greatly reduced numbers of beneficial bacteria

>in

> > >the

> > > > >gut flora, instead of being a source of nourishment the child's

> > > > >digestive system becomes a major source of toxicity in the

>body.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > What kind of toxins are we talking about?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > There are many toxins which have not been studied very well

> > > > >yet. But some toxins have received a considerable amount of

> > >research.

> > > > >Let us have a look at them.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Acetaldehyde and alcohol - what have these substances got

>to do

> > > > >with children? The most common pathogenic microbes shown to

> > >overgrow

> > > > >in the digestive systems of children with neuropsychological

> > > > >conditions and allergies are yeasts, particularly Candida

>species.

> > > > >Yeasts ferment dietary carbohydrates, producing alcohol and

>its by-

> > > > >product, acetaldehyde.

> > > > > > Let us see what a constant exposure to alcohol and

>acetaldehyde

> > > > >does to the body. The effects include:

> > > > > > a.. Liver damage with reduced ability to detoxify drugs,

> > > > >pollutants, and other toxins.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > b.. Inability of the liver to dispose of old

> > > > >neurotransmitters, hormones, and other byproducts of normal

> > > > >metabolism. As a result, these substances accumulate in the

>body,

> > > > >causing behavioural abnormalities and many other problems.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > c.. Degeneration of the pancreas with reduced ability to

> > > > >produce pancreatic enzymes, which impairs digestion.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > d.. Reduced ability of the stomach wall to produce stomach

> > > > >acid.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > e.. Damage to immune system.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > f.. Brain damage with lack of self-control, impaired co-

> > > > >ordination, impaired speech, development, aggression, mental

> > > > >retardation, loss of memory and stupor.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > g.. Peripheral nerve damage with altered senses and muscle

> > > > >weakness.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > h.. Direct muscle tissue damage with altered ability to

> > > > >contract and relax plus muscle weakness.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > i.. Nutritional deficiencies from damaging effect on

> > > > >digestion and absorption of most vitamins, minerals and amino

> > >acids.

> > > > >Deficiencies in vitamins B and A are particularly common.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > j.. Alteration of metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, and

> > > > >lipids in the body.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Alcohol has an ability to enhance the toxicity of most

>common

> > > > >drugs, pollutants, and other toxins. Acetaldehyde is

>considered to

> > >be

> > > > >the most toxic of alcohol by-products. It is the chemical which

> > >gives

> > > > >us the feeling of having a hangover. Anybody who has

>experienced a

> > > > >hangover can tell you how dreadful he or she felt.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Children who acquire abnormal gut flora with a lot of yeast

> > > > >from the start may never know any other feeling. Acetaldehyde

>has a

> > > > >large variety of toxic influences on the body. One of the most

> > > > >devastating influences of this chemical is its ability to

>alter the

> > > > >structure of proteins. Acetaldehyde-altered proteins are

>thought to

> > > > >be responsible for many autoimmune reactions. Children with

> > > > >neuropsychological problems are commonly found to have

>antibodies

> > > > >against their own tissues.

> > > > > > Other toxins include:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Clostridia neurotoxins. There are about 100 different

> > > > >Clostridia species known so far. They are present in the

>stools of

> > > > >people with autism, schizophrenia, psychosis, severe

>depression,

> > > > >muscle paralysis, muscle tonus abnormalities, and some other

> > > > >neurological and psychiatric conditions. Many Clostridia

>species

> > >are

> > > > >normal inhabitants of a human gut. For example, Clostridium

>tetani

> > >is

> > > > >routinely found in the gut of healthy humans and animals.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Everybody knows that tetanus is a deadly disease, due to an

> > > > >extremely powerful neurotoxin Clostridium tetani produces.

> > > > >Clostridium tetani, which lives in the gut, is normally

>controlled

> > >by

> > > > >the beneficial bacteria and does us no harm, because its toxin

>can

> > > > >not get through the healthy gut wall. Unfortunately, the

>children

> > >we

> > > > >are discussing do not have a healthy gut wall. In gut dysbiosis

> > >this

> > > > >powerful neurotoxin may well get absorbed through the damaged

>gut

> > > > >lining and then cross the blood-brain barrier affecting the

>child's

> > > > >mental development.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Many other species of Clostridia (perfringens, novyi,

>septicum,

> > > > >histolyticum, sordelli, aerofoetidum, tertium, sporogenes, etc)

> > > > >produce toxins similar to tetanus toxin as well as many other

> > >toxins.

> > > > >Dr. Shaw at Great Plains Laboratories describes in

>detail

> > >the

> > > > >number of autistic children who showed significant improvement

>in

> > > > >their development and biochemical tests while on anti-

>Clostridia

> > > > >medication. Unfortunately, as soon as the medication was

>stopped

> > >the

> > > > >children slipped back into autism, because these children do

>not

> > >have

> > > > >the healthy gut flora to control Clostridia and prevent their

> > >toxins

> > > > >from traveling through the gut lining into the bloodstream.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > In many cases, Clostridia were not identified in the stools

>of

> > > > >these children because Clostridia are strict anaerobes and are

>very

> > > > >difficult to study. We need to come up with some better ways of

> > > > >testing for these potent pathogens.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yeasts and Clostridia have been given a special opportunity

>in

> > > > >the era of antibiotics. Broad-spectrum antibiotics do not touch

> > >them

> > > > >while they do kill the beneficial bacteria in the gut, which

>are

> > > > >capable of controlling the yeasts and Clostridia. So, after

>every

> > > > >course of antibiotics, these two pathogenic groups get out of

> > >control

> > > > >and overgrow. The children that we are talking about usually

>are

> > > > >exposed to numerous courses of antibiotics pretty much from the

> > > > >beginning of their lives.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Gluteomorphins and casomorphins or opiates from gluten and

> > > > >casein. Opiates are drugs - such as opium, morphine and

>heroin -

> > > > >which are commonly used by drug addicts. What have they got to

>do

> > > > >with children?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Gluten is a protein present in grains - mainly wheat, rye,

> > > > >oats, and barley. Casein is a milk protein, present in cow,

>goat,

> > > > >sheep, human, and all other milk and milk products. In the

>bodies

> > >of

> > > > >children and adults with autism and schizophrenia, these

>proteins

> > >do

> > > > >not get digested properly because their digestive systems are

>full

> > >of

> > > > >abnormal microbial flora. As a result of misdigestion, gluten

>and

> > > > >casein turn into substances with chemical structure similar to

> > > > >opiates such as morphine and heroin.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > There has been quite a substantial amount of research

>conducted

> > > > >in this area by Dohan, Reichelt, Shattock, Cade and others, in

> > >which

> > > > >gluten and casein peptides, called gluteomorphin and

>casomorphin,

> > > > >were detected in the urine of schizophrenic patients and

>autistic

> > > > >children. Incidentally, these substances were also found in

> > >patients

> > > > >with depression and rheumatoid arthritis. These opiates from

>wheat

> > > > >and milk get through the blood-brain barrier and block certain

> > >areas

> > > > >of the brain, just like morphine or heroin would do, causing

> > >various

> > > > >neurological and psychological symptoms. Based on this

>research,

> > >the

> > > > >gluten- and casein-free diet (GFCF diet) has been developed,

>which

> > > > >helps a lot of children and adults with autism and

>schizophrenia.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Dermorphin and deltorphin. These are two frightening toxic

> > > > >substances with opiate structure that have been found in

>autistic

> > > > >children by biochemist Alan Friedman, PhD.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Dermorphin and deltorphin were first identified on the skin

>of

> > > > >a poison dart frog in South America. Native people used to dip

> > >their

> > > > >darts into the mucous on these frogs in order to paralyse their

> > > > >enemy, because deltorphin and dermorphin are extremely potent

> > > > >neurotoxins. Dr. Friedman believes that it is not the frog that

> > > > >produces these neurotoxins, but rather a fungus which grows on

>the

> > > > >skin of this frog. It is possible that this fungus grows in

>the gut

> > > > >of autistic children, supplying their bodies with dermorphin

>and

> > > > >deltorphin.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Organic acid testing now available in many laboratories

>around

> > > > >the world can identify various metabolites of microbial

>activity

> > > > >taking place in the gut which are absorbed and then excreted

>in the

> > > > >child's urine. Many of these metabolites are highly poisonous

> > > > >substances.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Low Serum Sulphate is a common finding in these children.

>It is

> > > > >an indirect indication of toxicity in the body because

>sulphates

> > >are

> > > > >essential for many detoxification processes and the normal

> > >metabolism

> > > > >of brain neurotransmitters. In many cases the child may be

>getting

> > > > >plenty of sulphates through the diet, but they all get

>consumed by

> > > > >the detox pathways struggling with the river of toxicity which

>is

> > > > >constantly coming from the child's gut.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > At the same time, another large group of bacteria which

> > > > >commonly overgrow in the gut dysbiosis situation are sulphate-

> > > > >reducing bacteria, which make sulphur unavailable for the body

>to

> > > > >use. These bacteria metabolise sulphate coming from food into

> > > > >sulphites, many of which are toxic. Hydrogen sulphide, for

>example,

> > > > >is the gas with the rotten egg smell. Some parents of autistic,

> > > > >hyperactive, and other children tell me that their child's

>stool

> > >has

> > > > >this characteristic smell.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The importance of re-establishing gut flora

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The mixture of toxicity in each child can be quite

>individual

> > > > >and different. But what they all have in common is gut

>dysbiosis.

> > >The

> > > > >toxicity, which is produced by the abnormal microbial mass in

>these

> > > > >children, establishes a link between the gut and the brain.

>These

> > > > >children can present with symptoms of autism, ADHD, ADD, OCD,

> > > > >dyslexia, dyspraxia, schizophrenia, depression, sleep

>disorders,

> > > > >allergies, asthma and eczema in any possible combination.

> > > > > > These are the children who fall in the gap in our medical

> > > > >knowledge. Any child with a learning disability, neurological

>or

> > > > >psychological problems, or allergies should be thoroughly

>examined

> > > > >for gut dysbiosis. Re-establishing normal gut flora and

>treating

> > >the

> > > > >digestive system of the child has to be the number one

>treatment

> > >for

> > > > >these disorders, before considering any other treatments with

>drugs

> > > > >or otherwise.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > ----------------------------------------------------------

> > > > >--------

> > > > > > Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

>

They have a part of the clinic devoted to integrated medicine, so

they use both natural and chemo. Possibly the best of both worlds,

get a quick hit against the cancer and do the other stuff that helps

rebuild your body.

Lynda

At 11:42 AM 1/20/2008, you wrote:

>Hopefully if you show the Boulder clinic the information you want to

>use to get better, they can offer assistance.

>

>If not, you can always do this from home, with telephone calls to

>Gerson trained medical professionals if needed. They provided names

>and phone numbers for people I could call with questions (no charge),

>which helped.

>

>You can do this.

>Patty

>

>

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Darling Patty;

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > My Potassium levels are low, and this is frightening me.

> > >What

> > > > > > >should I do to repair this? They told me to eat oranges and

> > > > >bananas,

> > > > > > >but that is not helping.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Thank you...love you so....Lea

> > > > > > > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

> > > > > > > > Gut health VERY IMPORTANT TO

>IMMUNE

> > > > > > >SYSTEM!

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > In Gut and Psychology Syndrome, British neurologist and

> > > > > > >nutritionist Natasha -McBride, MD reveals the

> > >connection

> > > > > > >between the gut flora - the microorganisms in the digestive

> > >tract -

> > > > > > >and the brain.

> > > > > > > > -McBride illuminates the gut's vital role in

> > > > > > >supporting the full range of our mental and physical

>health.

> > >Her

> > > > > > >findings relate to both children and adults.

> > > > > > > > Medinform Publishing, 2004

> > > > > > > > ISBN 978-0954852009

> > > > > > > > 266 pages

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > We live in a world of epidemics

> > > > > > > > 85% of the body's immune system can be found in the gut

> > > > > > > > The vital functions of gut flora

> > > > > > > > Gut flora protect and nourish the digestive tract

> > > > > > > > Symptoms of gut dysbiosis

> > > > > > > > What kind of toxins are we talking about?

> > > > > > > > The importance of re-establishing gut flora

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > We live in a world of epidemics

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Fifteen years ago, autistic spectrum disorders affected

>one

> > >in

> > > > > > >10,000 children. Today in the West, on average one in 200

> > >children

> > > > > > >are diagnosed on the autistic spectrum.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Millions of children are taking brain altering

>medications

> > >such

> > > > > > >as Ritalin to combat attention deficit hyperactivity

>disorder

> > > > > > >(ADHD/ADD) and depression while many millions more are

>being

> > > > > > >diagnosed with other learning problems with labels like

> > >dyslexia

> > > > >and

> > > > > > >dyspraxia.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > How many families do you know personally who complain of

> > >being

> > > > > > >plagued by allergies, eczema, and asthma?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Other epidemics include schizophrenia and obsessive

> > >compulsive

> > > > > > >disorder (OCD), which was unheard of only a few decades ago

> > >and now

> > > > > > >affects 2 million people in the United Kingdom alone.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Many other neuropsychological and psychiatric problems

>in

> > > > > > >children and young adults are becoming more and more

>common.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Chronic degenerative diseases afflict over 120 million

> > > > > > >Americans with 50 million more suffering from one or more

>auto-

> > > > >immune

> > > > > > >diseases such as type 2 diabetes, hypothyroidism, adrenal

> > >fatigue,

> > > > > > >MS, chronic fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome, and a host

>of

> > >other

> > > > > > >syndromes.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Cancer is now close to being expected to develop in 1

>out of

> > > > > > >every 2 people in their lifetime.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Antibiotic resistant infections are increasing at an

> > >alarming

> > > > > > >rate.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Approximately 90% of medication can only suppress

>symptoms

> > >of

> > > > > > >disease with no ability to fix or cure the diseases.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Possibly most worrying is that the Centers for Disease

> > >Control

> > > > > > >in Atlanta has stated that for the first time in history

>those

> > >born

> > > > > > >after the year 2000 are expected to die before their

>parents -

> > >a

> > > > > > >truly frightening prospect.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > We have created different diagnostic boxes in which to

>fit

> > > > > > >these " diseases. " But often we do not fit into any one of

>them

> > > > > > >neatly. The modern westerner in most cases fits into a

>rather

> > >lumpy

> > > > > > >picture of overlapping neurological and psychiatric

>conditions.

> > > > >This

> > > > > > >picture leads us to the fact that these conditions are

>related

> > >to

> > > > > > >each other by similar underlying causes.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > 85% of the body's immune system can be found in the gut

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Not many people know that an adult on average carries 2

>kg

> > >of

> > > > > > >bacteria in the gut. There are more cells in that microbial

> > >mass

> > > > >than

> > > > > > >there are cells in an entire human body. It is a highly

> > >organised

> > > > > > >micro-world, where certain species of bacteria have to

> > >predominate

> > > > >to

> > > > > > >keep us healthy physically and mentally. Their role in our

> > >health

> > > > >is

> > > > > > >so monumental that we simply cannot afford to ignore them.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > A typical modern mother was probably not breast-fed

>when she

> > > > > > >was a baby, because she was born in the 60s or 70s when

>breast-

> > > > > > >feeding went out of fashion. Why is it important?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Because it is well known now that bottle-fed babies

>develop

> > > > > > >completely different gut flora compared to breast-fed

>babies.

> > >This

> > > > > > >compromised gut flora in a bottle-fed baby later on

> > >predisposes her

> > > > > > >to many health problems. Having acquired compromised gut

>flora

> > >from

> > > > > > >the start, a typical modern mum had quite a few courses of

> > > > > > >antibiotics in her childhood and youth for various

>infections.

> > >It

> > > > >is

> > > > > > >a well known fact that antibiotics have a serious damaging

> > >effect

> > > > >on

> > > > > > >gut flora, because they wipe out the beneficial strains of

> > >bacteria

> > > > > > >in the gut. At the age of 16, and sometimes even earlier,

>the

> > > > >modern

> > > > > > >mum was put on a contraceptive pill, which she took for

>quite

> > >a few

> > > > > > >years before starting a family.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Contraceptive pills have a devastating effect on the

> > >beneficial

> > > > > > >(good) bacteria in the gut.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > One of the major functions of the good bacteria in the

>gut

> > > > > > >flora is controlling about 500 different species of

>pathogenic

> > > > >(bad)

> > > > > > >and opportunistic microbes known to science. When the

> > >beneficial

> > > > > > >bacteria get destroyed the opportunists get a special

> > >opportunity

> > > > >to

> > > > > > >grow into large colonies and occupy large areas of the

> > >digestive

> > > > > > >tract. A modern diet of processed and fast foods provide

> > >perfect

> > > > > > >nourishment for these pathogens and that is a typical diet

>a

> > >modern

> > > > > > >mum had as a child and a young adult.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > As a result of all these factors a modern mum has

>seriously

> > > > > > >compromised gut flora by the time she is ready to have

> > >children.

> > > > >The

> > > > > > >most common health problems in mothers are digestive

> > >abnormalities,

> > > > > > >allergies, autoimmunity, PMS, chronic fatigue, headaches

>and

> > >skin

> > > > > > >problems.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Whatever microbial flora the mother has she passes to

>her

> > >new-

> > > > > > >born child. And indeed clinical signs of gut dysbiosis

> > >(abnormal

> > > > >gut

> > > > > > >flora) are present in almost 100% of mothers of children

>with

> > > > > > >neurological and psychiatric conditions.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The vital functions of gut flora

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Gut flora is something we do not think much about. And

>yet

> > >the

> > > > > > >number of functions the gut flora fulfills is so vital for

>us

> > >that

> > > > >if

> > > > > > >some day our digestive tract got sterilised we probably

>would

> > >not

> > > > > > >survive.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The first and very important function is appropriate

> > >digestion

> > > > > > >and absorption of food. If a child does not acquire normal

> > >balanced

> > > > > > >gut flora, then the child will not digest and absorb foods

> > > > >properly,

> > > > > > >developing multiple nutritional deficiencies. And that is

>what

> > >we

> > > > > > >commonly see in children with learning disabilities,

> > >psychiatric

> > > > > > >problems, and allergies.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Many of these children are malnourished. Even in the

>cases

> > > > > > >where the child may grow well, testing reveals some typical

> > > > > > >nutritional deficiencies in many important minerals,

>vitamins,

> > > > > > >essential fats, many amino-acids and other nutrients. The

>most

> > > > >common

> > > > > > >deficiencies, recorded in these children, are in magnesium,

> > >zinc,

> > > > > > >selenium, copper, calcium, manganese, sulphur, phosphorus,

> > >iron,

> > > > > > >potassium, vanadium, boron, vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B12,

>C,

> > >A, D,

> > > > > > >folic acid, pantothenic acid, omega-3, 6, 9 fatty acids,

> > >taurine,

> > > > > > >alpha-ketoglutaric acid, glutathione and many other amino-

> > >acids.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > This usual list of nutritional deficiencies, commonly

>seen

> > >in

> > > > > > >these children, includes some of the most important

>nutrients

> > >for

> > > > > > >normal development of the child's brain, immune system,

>and the

> > > > >body

> > > > > > >as a whole.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > In addition to promoting normal digestion and

>absorption of

> > > > > > >food, healthy gut flora actively synthesise various

>nutrients:

> > > > > > >vitamin K, pantothenic acid, folic acid, thiamine (vitamin

>B1),

> > > > > > >riboflavin (vitamin B2), niacin (vitamin B3), pyridoxine

> > >(vitamin

> > > > > > >B6), ciancobalamine (vitamin B12), various amino-acids, and

> > > > >proteins.

> > > > > > >When tested, people with gut dysbiosis always present with

> > > > > > >deficiencies of these nutrients. Clinical experience shows

>that

> > > > > > >restoring the beneficial bacteria in their gut is the best

>way

> > >to

> > > > > > >deal with these deficiencies.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The majority of children with neurological and

>psychiatric

> > > > > > >conditions look pale and pasty. When tested, they show

>various

> > > > >stages

> > > > > > >of anaemia, which is not surprising. To have healthy blood

>we

> > > > >require

> > > > > > >many different nutrients: vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B6, B12,

>K, A,

> > >D,

> > > > > > >etc), minerals (iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, cobalt,

> > >selenium,

> > > > > > >boron, etc.), essential amino-acids, and fats. These

>children

> > >are

> > > > >not

> > > > > > >only unable to absorb these nutrients from food - their

> > >ability to

> > > > > > >produce many of them in the body is also damaged.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > What's more, people with damaged gut flora often have

> > > > > > >particular groups of pathogenic bacteria growing in their

>gut,

> > > > > > >including iron-loving bacteria (Actinomyces spp.,

>Mycobacterium

> > > > >spp.,

> > > > > > >pathogenic strains of E.Coli, Corynebacterium spp. and many

> > > > >others).

> > > > > > >These bacteria consume whatever iron the the diet provides,

> > >leaving

> > > > > > >that person deficient in iron. Unfortunately, supplementing

> > >iron

> > > > >only

> > > > > > >makes these bacteria grow stronger and does not remedy

> > >anaemia. To

> > > > > > >treat anaemia, the person requires all the nutrients we

>have

> > > > > > >mentioned, many of which healthy gut flora supply.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Gut flora protect and nourish the digestive tract

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > In addition to taking a direct part in nourishing the

>body,

> > > > > > >beneficial bacteria in the gut act as the housekeepers for

>the

> > > > > > >digestive tract. They coat the entire surface of the gut,

> > > > >protecting

> > > > > > >it from invaders and toxins by providing a natural barrier

>and

> > > > > > >producing a lot of antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-

>fungal

> > > > > > >substances.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > At the same time, they provide the gut lining with

> > >nourishment.

> > > > > > >It is estimated that 60-70% of the energy that the gut

>lining

> > > > >derives

> > > > > > >is from the activity of bacteria which live on its surface.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > It is no surprise, then, that when the gut flora is

>abnormal

> > > > > > >the digestive tract itself cannot be healthy. Indeed, most

> > >children

> > > > > > >with learning disabilities, psychiatric disorders and

>allergies

> > > > > > >present with digestive problems. In many cases these

>problems

> > >are

> > > > > > >severe enough for the parents to talk about them first.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > In some cases they may not be very severe, but when

>asked

> > > > > > >direct questions the parents describe that their child

>never

> > >had

> > > > > > >normal stool, that their child suffered from colic as a

>baby,

> > >and

> > > > > > >that tummy pains and flatulence are a common part of the

> > >picture.

> > > > >In

> > > > > > >those cases where these children have been examined by

>gastro-

> > > > > > >enterologists, inflammatory process in the gut was found

>along

> > >with

> > > > > > >faecal compaction and an over-spill syndrome.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The most recent research was performed at the Royal Free

> > > > > > >Hospital in London by Dr. Wakefield and his team.

>They

> > >found

> > > > > > >an inflammatory condition in the bowel of autistic

>children,

> > >which

> > > > > > >they have named Autistic Enterocolitis.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Schizophrenic patients were always known to have serious

> > > > > > >digestive problems. Dr. Curtis Dohan, MD has devoted many

> > >years to

> > > > > > >researching digestive abnormalities in schizophrenia. He

>found

> > >a

> > > > >lot

> > > > > > >of similarities between coeliac disease and the state of

>the

> > > > > > >digestive tract in schizophrenics.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > In my clinical practice, I see that long before these

> > >patients

> > > > > > >develop psychotic symptoms they suffer from digestive

>problems

> > >and

> > > > > > >all other typical symptoms of gut dysbiosis and have done

>so

> > >pretty

> > > > > > >much from the start of their lives. Children and young

>adults

> > >with

> > > > > > >ADHD/ADD, OCD, depression and other neuropsychological

> > >problems are

> > > > > > >very often reported to suffer from digestive abnormalities

> > >though

> > > > > > >there have not been formal studies published yet.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Symptoms of gut dysbiosis

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > What other symptoms of gut dysbiosis do we know? Well-

> > > > > > >functioning gut flora is the right hand of our immune

>system.

> > >The

> > > > > > >beneficial bacteria in the gut ensure appropriate

>production of

> > > > > > >different immune cells, immunoglobulins, and other parts

>of the

> > > > > > >immune system. But most importantly, they keep the immune

> > >system in

> > > > > > >the right balance. What typically happens in a person with

>gut

> > > > > > >dysbiosis is that two major arms of their immune system,

>Th1

> > >and

> > > > >Th2,

> > > > > > >get out of balance with underactive Th1 and overactive

>Th2. As

> > >a

> > > > > > >result, the immune system starts reacting to most

>environmental

> > > > > > >stimuli in an allergic or atopic kind of way.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > A baby is born with an immature immune system.

> > >Establishment of

> > > > > > >a healthy balance of gut flora in the first few days of

>life

> > >plays

> > > > >a

> > > > > > >crucial role in the appropriate maturation of the immune

> > >system. If

> > > > > > >the baby does not acquire appropriate gut flora then the

>baby

> > >is

> > > > >left

> > > > > > >immune compromised. The result is lots of infections

>followed

> > >by

> > > > >lots

> > > > > > >of courses of antibiotics, which damage the child's gut

>flora

> > >and

> > > > > > >immune system even further.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The most common infections in the first two years of

>life in

> > > > > > >the children with neurological, psychological, and atopic

> > >disorders

> > > > > > >are ear infections, chest infections, sore throats, and

> > >impetigo.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > At the same time, in the first two years of life the

>child

> > > > > > >receives a lot of vaccinations. A child with compromised

>immune

> > > > > > >system does not react to vaccinations in a predicted way.

>In

> > >most

> > > > > > >cases, vaccines deepen the damage to the immune system and

> > >provide

> > > > >a

> > > > > > >source of chronic persistent viral infections and

>autoimmune

> > > > >problems

> > > > > > >in these children.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > A considerable amount of research has been published

> > >regarding

> > > > > > >the state of the immune system in children with learning

> > > > >disabilities

> > > > > > >and psychiatric problems. The research shows deep

> > >abnormalities in

> > > > > > >all major cell groups and immunoglobulins in these

>children.

> > >The

> > > > >most

> > > > > > >common autoantibodies found are to myelin basic protein

>(MBP)

> > >and

> > > > > > >neuron-axon filament protein (NSFP). These antibodies

>attack

> > >the

> > > > > > >child's brain and the rest of the nervous system.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > So, the modern child did not get normal gut flora from

>the

> > > > > > >start and then got it damaged even further by repeated

>courses

> > >of

> > > > > > >antibiotics and vaccinations. As a result, these children

> > >commonly

> > > > > > >suffer from digestive problems, allergies, asthma, and

>eczema.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > For children who then go on to develop neurological and

> > > > > > >psychiatric problems, something even more terrible happens.

> > >Without

> > > > > > >control of the beneficial bacteria, different

>opportunistic and

> > > > > > >pathogenic bacteria, viruses, and fungi have a good chance

>to

> > > > >occupy

> > > > > > >large territories in the digestive tract of the child and

>grow

> > > > >large

> > > > > > >colonies.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Two particular groups which are most commonly found on

> > >testing

> > > > > > >are yeasts (including Candida species) and Clostridia

>family.

> > >These

> > > > > > >pathogenic microbes start digesting food in their own way,

> > > > >producing

> > > > > > >large amounts of various toxic substances which get

>absorbed

> > >into

> > > > >the

> > > > > > >blood stream and are carried to the brain, where they

>cross the

> > > > >blood-

> > > > > > >brain barrier.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The number and mixture of toxins can be very individual,

> > > > > > >causing a variety of neurological and psychological

>symptoms.

> > >Due

> > > > >to

> > > > > > >the absence or greatly reduced numbers of beneficial

>bacteria

> > >in

> > > > >the

> > > > > > >gut flora, instead of being a source of nourishment the

>child's

> > > > > > >digestive system becomes a major source of toxicity in the

> > >body.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > What kind of toxins are we talking about?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > There are many toxins which have not been studied very

>well

> > > > > > >yet. But some toxins have received a considerable amount of

> > > > >research.

> > > > > > >Let us have a look at them.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Acetaldehyde and alcohol - what have these substances

>got

> > >to do

> > > > > > >with children? The most common pathogenic microbes shown to

> > > > >overgrow

> > > > > > >in the digestive systems of children with

>neuropsychological

> > > > > > >conditions and allergies are yeasts, particularly Candida

> > >species.

> > > > > > >Yeasts ferment dietary carbohydrates, producing alcohol and

> > >its by-

> > > > > > >product, acetaldehyde.

> > > > > > > > Let us see what a constant exposure to alcohol and

> > >acetaldehyde

> > > > > > >does to the body. The effects include:

> > > > > > > > a.. Liver damage with reduced ability to detoxify drugs,

> > > > > > >pollutants, and other toxins.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > b.. Inability of the liver to dispose of old

> > > > > > >neurotransmitters, hormones, and other byproducts of normal

> > > > > > >metabolism. As a result, these substances accumulate in the

> > >body,

> > > > > > >causing behavioural abnormalities and many other problems.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > c.. Degeneration of the pancreas with reduced ability to

> > > > > > >produce pancreatic enzymes, which impairs digestion.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > d.. Reduced ability of the stomach wall to produce

>stomach

> > > > > > >acid.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > e.. Damage to immune system.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > f.. Brain damage with lack of self-control, impaired co-

> > > > > > >ordination, impaired speech, development, aggression,

>mental

> > > > > > >retardation, loss of memory and stupor.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > g.. Peripheral nerve damage with altered senses and

>muscle

> > > > > > >weakness.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > h.. Direct muscle tissue damage with altered ability to

> > > > > > >contract and relax plus muscle weakness.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > i.. Nutritional deficiencies from damaging effect on

> > > > > > >digestion and absorption of most vitamins, minerals and

>amino

> > > > >acids.

> > > > > > >Deficiencies in vitamins B and A are particularly common.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > j.. Alteration of metabolism of proteins,

>carbohydrates, and

> > > > > > >lipids in the body.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Alcohol has an ability to enhance the toxicity of most

> > >common

> > > > > > >drugs, pollutants, and other toxins. Acetaldehyde is

> > >considered to

> > > > >be

> > > > > > >the most toxic of alcohol by-products. It is the chemical

>which

> > > > >gives

> > > > > > >us the feeling of having a hangover. Anybody who has

> > >experienced a

> > > > > > >hangover can tell you how dreadful he or she felt.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Children who acquire abnormal gut flora with a lot of

>yeast

> > > > > > >from the start may never know any other feeling.

>Acetaldehyde

> > >has a

> > > > > > >large variety of toxic influences on the body. One of the

>most

> > > > > > >devastating influences of this chemical is its ability to

> > >alter the

> > > > > > >structure of proteins. Acetaldehyde-altered proteins are

> > >thought to

> > > > > > >be responsible for many autoimmune reactions. Children with

> > > > > > >neuropsychological problems are commonly found to have

> > >antibodies

> > > > > > >against their own tissues.

> > > > > > > > Other toxins include:

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Clostridia neurotoxins. There are about 100 different

> > > > > > >Clostridia species known so far. They are present in the

> > >stools of

> > > > > > >people with autism, schizophrenia, psychosis, severe

> > >depression,

> > > > > > >muscle paralysis, muscle tonus abnormalities, and some

>other

> > > > > > >neurological and psychiatric conditions. Many Clostridia

> > >species

> > > > >are

> > > > > > >normal inhabitants of a human gut. For example, Clostridium

> > >tetani

> > > > >is

> > > > > > >routinely found in the gut of healthy humans and animals.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Everybody knows that tetanus is a deadly disease, due

>to an

> > > > > > >extremely powerful neurotoxin Clostridium tetani produces.

> > > > > > >Clostridium tetani, which lives in the gut, is normally

> > >controlled

> > > > >by

> > > > > > >the beneficial bacteria and does us no harm, because its

>toxin

> > >can

> > > > > > >not get through the healthy gut wall. Unfortunately, the

> > >children

> > > > >we

> > > > > > >are discussing do not have a healthy gut wall. In gut

>dysbiosis

> > > > >this

> > > > > > >powerful neurotoxin may well get absorbed through the

>damaged

> > >gut

> > > > > > >lining and then cross the blood-brain barrier affecting the

> > >child's

> > > > > > >mental development.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Many other species of Clostridia (perfringens, novyi,

> > >septicum,

> > > > > > >histolyticum, sordelli, aerofoetidum, tertium, sporogenes,

>etc)

> > > > > > >produce toxins similar to tetanus toxin as well as many

>other

> > > > >toxins.

> > > > > > >Dr. Shaw at Great Plains Laboratories describes in

> > >detail

> > > > >the

> > > > > > >number of autistic children who showed significant

>improvement

> > >in

> > > > > > >their development and biochemical tests while on anti-

> > >Clostridia

> > > > > > >medication. Unfortunately, as soon as the medication was

> > >stopped

> > > > >the

> > > > > > >children slipped back into autism, because these children

>do

> > >not

> > > > >have

> > > > > > >the healthy gut flora to control Clostridia and prevent

>their

> > > > >toxins

> > > > > > >from traveling through the gut lining into the bloodstream.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > In many cases, Clostridia were not identified in the

>stools

> > >of

> > > > > > >these children because Clostridia are strict anaerobes and

>are

> > >very

> > > > > > >difficult to study. We need to come up with some better

>ways of

> > > > > > >testing for these potent pathogens.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Yeasts and Clostridia have been given a special

>opportunity

> > >in

> > > > > > >the era of antibiotics. Broad-spectrum antibiotics do not

>touch

> > > > >them

> > > > > > >while they do kill the beneficial bacteria in the gut,

>which

> > >are

> > > > > > >capable of controlling the yeasts and Clostridia. So, after

> > >every

> > > > > > >course of antibiotics, these two pathogenic groups get out

>of

> > > > >control

> > > > > > >and overgrow. The children that we are talking about

>usually

> > >are

> > > > > > >exposed to numerous courses of antibiotics pretty much

>from the

> > > > > > >beginning of their lives.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Gluteomorphins and casomorphins or opiates from gluten

>and

> > > > > > >casein. Opiates are drugs - such as opium, morphine and

> > >heroin -

> > > > > > >which are commonly used by drug addicts. What have they

>got to

> > >do

> > > > > > >with children?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Gluten is a protein present in grains - mainly wheat,

>rye,

> > > > > > >oats, and barley. Casein is a milk protein, present in cow,

> > >goat,

> > > > > > >sheep, human, and all other milk and milk products. In the

> > >bodies

> > > > >of

> > > > > > >children and adults with autism and schizophrenia, these

> > >proteins

> > > > >do

> > > > > > >not get digested properly because their digestive systems

>are

> > >full

> > > > >of

> > > > > > >abnormal microbial flora. As a result of misdigestion,

>gluten

> > >and

> > > > > > >casein turn into substances with chemical structure

>similar to

> > > > > > >opiates such as morphine and heroin.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > There has been quite a substantial amount of research

> > >conducted

> > > > > > >in this area by Dohan, Reichelt, Shattock, Cade and

>others, in

> > > > >which

> > > > > > >gluten and casein peptides, called gluteomorphin and

> > >casomorphin,

> > > > > > >were detected in the urine of schizophrenic patients and

> > >autistic

> > > > > > >children. Incidentally, these substances were also found in

> > > > >patients

> > > > > > >with depression and rheumatoid arthritis. These opiates

>from

> > >wheat

> > > > > > >and milk get through the blood-brain barrier and block

>certain

> > > > >areas

> > > > > > >of the brain, just like morphine or heroin would do,

>causing

> > > > >various

> > > > > > >neurological and psychological symptoms. Based on this

> > >research,

> > > > >the

> > > > > > >gluten- and casein-free diet (GFCF diet) has been

>developed,

> > >which

> > > > > > >helps a lot of children and adults with autism and

> > >schizophrenia.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Dermorphin and deltorphin. These are two frightening

>toxic

> > > > > > >substances with opiate structure that have been found in

> > >autistic

> > > > > > >children by biochemist Alan Friedman, PhD.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Dermorphin and deltorphin were first identified on the

>skin

> > >of

> > > > > > >a poison dart frog in South America. Native people used to

>dip

> > > > >their

> > > > > > >darts into the mucous on these frogs in order to paralyse

>their

> > > > > > >enemy, because deltorphin and dermorphin are extremely

>potent

> > > > > > >neurotoxins. Dr. Friedman believes that it is not the frog

>that

> > > > > > >produces these neurotoxins, but rather a fungus which

>grows on

> > >the

> > > > > > >skin of this frog. It is possible that this fungus grows in

> > >the gut

> > > > > > >of autistic children, supplying their bodies with

>dermorphin

> > >and

> > > > > > >deltorphin.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Organic acid testing now available in many laboratories

> > >around

> > > > > > >the world can identify various metabolites of microbial

> > >activity

> > > > > > >taking place in the gut which are absorbed and then

>excreted

> > >in the

> > > > > > >child's urine. Many of these metabolites are highly

>poisonous

> > > > > > >substances.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Low Serum Sulphate is a common finding in these

>children.

> > >It is

> > > > > > >an indirect indication of toxicity in the body because

> > >sulphates

> > > > >are

> > > > > > >essential for many detoxification processes and the normal

> > > > >metabolism

> > > > > > >of brain neurotransmitters. In many cases the child may be

> > >getting

> > > > > > >plenty of sulphates through the diet, but they all get

> > >consumed by

> > > > > > >the detox pathways struggling with the river of toxicity

>which

> > >is

> > > > > > >constantly coming from the child's gut.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > At the same time, another large group of bacteria which

> > > > > > >commonly overgrow in the gut dysbiosis situation are

>sulphate-

> > > > > > >reducing bacteria, which make sulphur unavailable for the

>body

> > >to

> > > > > > >use. These bacteria metabolise sulphate coming from food

>into

> > > > > > >sulphites, many of which are toxic. Hydrogen sulphide, for

> > >example,

> > > > > > >is the gas with the rotten egg smell. Some parents of

>autistic,

> > > > > > >hyperactive, and other children tell me that their child's

> > >stool

> > > > >has

> > > > > > >this characteristic smell.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The importance of re-establishing gut flora

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The mixture of toxicity in each child can be quite

> > >individual

> > > > > > >and different. But what they all have in common is gut

> > >dysbiosis.

> > > > >The

> > > > > > >toxicity, which is produced by the abnormal microbial mass

>in

> > >these

> > > > > > >children, establishes a link between the gut and the brain.

> > >These

> > > > > > >children can present with symptoms of autism, ADHD, ADD,

>OCD,

> > > > > > >dyslexia, dyspraxia, schizophrenia, depression, sleep

> > >disorders,

> > > > > > >allergies, asthma and eczema in any possible combination.

> > > > > > > > These are the children who fall in the gap in our

>medical

> > > > > > >knowledge. Any child with a learning disability,

>neurological

> > >or

> > > > > > >psychological problems, or allergies should be thoroughly

> > >examined

> > > > > > >for gut dysbiosis. Re-establishing normal gut flora and

> > >treating

> > > > >the

> > > > > > >digestive system of the child has to be the number one

> > >treatment

> > > > >for

> > > > > > >these disorders, before considering any other treatments

>with

> > >drugs

> > > > > > >or otherwise.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > --------------------------------------------------------

>--

> > > > > > >--------

> > > > > > > > Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

>

Darling Patty:

I am a bit confused about Potassium Salts, because in the hospital they gave me two very large tablets. Were these tablets made up of Potassium Salts?

Honey, is there a website that I could go to to get more of this information? We need information on rebuilding our immune systems. My doctor keeps telling me that my immune system is compromised, but they do not tell me how to boost it!

Thank you for your support...love you so...Lea

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``````````

Gut health VERY IMPORTANT TO IMMUNE> > > >SYSTEM!> > > > >> > > > >> > > > > In Gut and Psychology Syndrome, British neurologist and> > > >nutritionist Natasha -McBride, MD reveals the connection> > > >between the gut flora - the microorganisms in the digestive tract -> > > >and the brain.> > > > > -McBride illuminates the gut's vital role in> > > >supporting the full range of our mental and physical health. Her> > > >findings relate to both children and adults.> > > > > Medinform Publishing, 2004> > > > > ISBN 978-0954852009> > > > > 266 pages> > > > >> > > > >> > > > > We live in a world of epidemics> > > > > 85% of the body's immune system can be found in the gut> > > > > The vital functions of gut flora> > > > > Gut flora protect and nourish the digestive tract> > > > > Symptoms of gut dysbiosis> > > > > What kind of toxins are we talking about?> > > > > The importance of re-establishing gut flora> > > > >> > > > > We live in a world of epidemics> > > > >> > > > > Fifteen years ago, autistic spectrum disorders affected one in> > > >10,000 children. Today in the West, on average one in 200 children> > > >are diagnosed on the autistic spectrum.> > > > >> > > > > Millions of children are taking brain altering medications such> > > >as Ritalin to combat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder> > > >(ADHD/ADD) and depression while many millions more are being> > > >diagnosed with other learning problems with labels like dyslexia> >and> > > >dyspraxia.> > > > >> > > > > How many families do you know personally who complain of being> > > >plagued by allergies, eczema, and asthma?> > > > >> > > > > Other epidemics include schizophrenia and obsessive compulsive> > > >disorder (OCD), which was unheard of only a few decades ago and now> > > >affects 2 million people in the United Kingdom alone.> > > > >> > > > > Many other neuropsychological and psychiatric problems in> > > >children and young adults are becoming more and more common.> > > > >> > > > > Chronic degenerative diseases afflict over 120 million> > > >Americans with 50 million more suffering from one or more auto-> >immune> > > >diseases such as type 2 diabetes, hypothyroidism, adrenal fatigue,> > > >MS, chronic fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome, and a host of other> > > >syndromes.> > > > >> > > > > Cancer is now close to being expected to develop in 1 out of> > > >every 2 people in their lifetime.> > > > >> > > > > Antibiotic resistant infections are increasing at an alarming> > > >rate.> > > > >> > > > > Approximately 90% of medication can only suppress symptoms of> > > >disease with no ability to fix or cure the diseases.> > > > >> > > > > Possibly most worrying is that the Centers for Disease Control> > > >in Atlanta has stated that for the first time in history those born> > > >after the year 2000 are expected to die before their parents - a> > > >truly frightening prospect.> > > > >> > > > > We have created different diagnostic boxes in which to fit> > > >these "diseases." But often we do not fit into any one of them> > > >neatly. The modern westerner in most cases fits into a rather lumpy> > > >picture of overlapping neurological and psychiatric conditions.> >This> > > >picture leads us to the fact that these conditions are related to> > > >each other by similar underlying causes.> > > > >> > > > > 85% of the body's immune system can be found in the gut> > > > >> > > > > Not many people know that an adult on average carries 2 kg of> > > >bacteria in the gut. There are more cells in that microbial mass> >than> > > >there are cells in an entire human body. It is a highly organised> > > >micro-world, where certain species of bacteria have to predominate> >to> > > >keep us healthy physically and mentally. Their role in our health> >is> > > >so monumental that we simply cannot afford to ignore them.> > > > >> > > > > A typical modern mother was probably not breast-fed when she> > > >was a baby, because she was born in the 60s or 70s when breast-> > > >feeding went out of fashion. Why is it important?> > > > >> > > > > Because it is well known now that bottle-fed babies develop> > > >completely different gut flora compared to breast-fed babies. This> > > >compromised gut flora in a bottle-fed baby later on predisposes her> > > >to many health problems. Having acquired compromised gut flora from> > > >the start, a typical modern mum had quite a few courses of> > > >antibiotics in her childhood and youth for various infections. It> >is> > > >a well known fact that antibiotics have a serious damaging effect> >on> > > >gut flora, because they wipe out the beneficial strains of bacteria> > > >in the gut. At the age of 16, and sometimes even earlier, the> >modern> > > >mum was put on a contraceptive pill, which she took for quite a few> > > >years before starting a family.> > > > >> > > > > Contraceptive pills have a devastating effect on the beneficial> > > >(good) bacteria in the gut.> > > > >> > > > > One of the major functions of the good bacteria in the gut> > > >flora is controlling about 500 different species of pathogenic> >(bad)> > > >and opportunistic microbes known to science. When the beneficial> > > >bacteria get destroyed the opportunists get a special opportunity> >to> > > >grow into large colonies and occupy large areas of the digestive> > > >tract. A modern diet of processed and fast foods provide perfect> > > >nourishment for these pathogens and that is a typical diet a modern> > > >mum had as a child and a young adult.> > > > >> > > > > As a result of all these factors a modern mum has seriously> > > >compromised gut flora by the time she is ready to have children.> >The> > > >most common health problems in mothers are digestive abnormalities,> > > >allergies, autoimmunity, PMS, chronic fatigue, headaches and skin> > > >problems.> > > > >> > > > > Whatever microbial flora the mother has she passes to her new-> > > >born child. And indeed clinical signs of gut dysbiosis (abnormal> >gut> > > >flora) are present in almost 100% of mothers of children with> > > >neurological and psychiatric conditions.> > > > >> > > > > The vital functions of gut flora> > > > >> > > > > Gut flora is something we do not think much about. And yet the> > > >number of functions the gut flora fulfills is so vital for us that> >if> > > >some day our digestive tract got sterilised we probably would not> > > >survive.> > > > >> > > > > The first and very important function is appropriate digestion> > > >and absorption of food. If a child does not acquire normal balanced> > > >gut flora, then the child will not digest and absorb foods> >properly,> > > >developing multiple nutritional deficiencies. And that is what we> > > >commonly see in children with learning disabilities, psychiatric> > > >problems, and allergies.> > > > >> > > > > Many of these children are malnourished. Even in the cases> > > >where the child may grow well, testing reveals some typical> > > >nutritional deficiencies in many important minerals, vitamins,> > > >essential fats, many amino-acids and other nutrients. The most> >common> > > >deficiencies, recorded in these children, are in magnesium, zinc,> > > >selenium, copper, calcium, manganese, sulphur, phosphorus, iron,> > > >potassium, vanadium, boron, vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C, A, D,> > > >folic acid, pantothenic acid, omega-3, 6, 9 fatty acids, taurine,> > > >alpha-ketoglutaric acid, glutathione and many other amino-acids.> > > > >> > > > > This usual list of nutritional deficiencies, commonly seen in> > > >these children, includes some of the most important nutrients for> > > >normal development of the child's brain, immune system, and the> >body> > > >as a whole.> > > > >> > > > > In addition to promoting normal digestion and absorption of> > > >food, healthy gut flora actively synthesise various nutrients:> > > >vitamin K, pantothenic acid, folic acid, thiamine (vitamin B1),> > > >riboflavin (vitamin B2), niacin (vitamin B3), pyridoxine (vitamin> > > >B6), ciancobalamine (vitamin B12), various amino-acids, and> >proteins.> > > >When tested, people with gut dysbiosis always present with> > > >deficiencies of these nutrients. Clinical experience shows that> > > >restoring the beneficial bacteria in their gut is the best way to> > > >deal with these deficiencies.> > > > >> > > > > The majority of children with neurological and psychiatric> > > >conditions look pale and pasty. When tested, they show various> >stages> > > >of anaemia, which is not surprising. To have healthy blood we> >require> > > >many different nutrients: vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, K, A, D,> > > >etc), minerals (iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, cobalt, selenium,> > > >boron, etc.), essential amino-acids, and fats. These children are> >not> > > >only unable to absorb these nutrients from food - their ability to> > > >produce many of them in the body is also damaged.> > > > >> > > > > What's more, people with damaged gut flora often have> > > >particular groups of pathogenic bacteria growing in their gut,> > > >including iron-loving bacteria (Actinomyces spp., Mycobacterium> >spp.,> > > >pathogenic strains of E.Coli, Corynebacterium spp. and many> >others).> > > >These bacteria consume whatever iron the the diet provides, leaving> > > >that person deficient in iron. Unfortunately, supplementing iron> >only> > > >makes these bacteria grow stronger and does not remedy anaemia. To> > > >treat anaemia, the person requires all the nutrients we have> > > >mentioned, many of which healthy gut flora supply.> > > > >> > > > > Gut flora protect and nourish the digestive tract> > > > >> > > > > In addition to taking a direct part in nourishing the body,> > > >beneficial bacteria in the gut act as the housekeepers for the> > > >digestive tract. They coat the entire surface of the gut,> >protecting> > > >it from invaders and toxins by providing a natural barrier and> > > >producing a lot of antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal> > > >substances.> > > > >> > > > > At the same time, they provide the gut lining with nourishment.> > > >It is estimated that 60-70% of the energy that the gut lining> >derives> > > >is from the activity of bacteria which live on its surface.> > > > >> > > > > It is no surprise, then, that when the gut flora is abnormal> > > >the digestive tract itself cannot be healthy. Indeed, most children> > > >with learning disabilities, psychiatric disorders and allergies> > > >present with digestive problems. In many cases these problems are> > > >severe enough for the parents to talk about them first.> > > > >> > > > > In some cases they may not be very severe, but when asked> > > >direct questions the parents describe that their child never had> > > >normal stool, that their child suffered from colic as a baby, and> > > >that tummy pains and flatulence are a common part of the picture.> >In> > > >those cases where these children have been examined by gastro-> > > >enterologists, inflammatory process in the gut was found along with> > > >faecal compaction and an over-spill syndrome.> > > > >> > > > > The most recent research was performed at the Royal Free> > > >Hospital in London by Dr. Wakefield and his team. They found> > > >an inflammatory condition in the bowel of autistic children, which> > > >they have named Autistic Enterocolitis.> > > > >> > > > > Schizophrenic patients were always known to have serious> > > >digestive problems. Dr. Curtis Dohan, MD has devoted many years to> > > >researching digestive abnormalities in schizophrenia. He found a> >lot> > > >of similarities between coeliac disease and the state of the> > > >digestive tract in schizophrenics.> > > > >> > > > > In my clinical practice, I see that long before these patients> > > >develop psychotic symptoms they suffer from digestive problems and> > > >all other typical symptoms of gut dysbiosis and have done so pretty> > > >much from the start of their lives. Children and young adults with> > > >ADHD/ADD, OCD, depression and other neuropsychological problems are> > > >very often reported to suffer from digestive abnormalities though> > > >there have not been formal studies published yet.> > > > >> > > > > Symptoms of gut dysbiosis> > > > >> > > > > What other symptoms of gut dysbiosis do we know? Well-> > > >functioning gut flora is the right hand of our immune system. The> > > >beneficial bacteria in the gut ensure appropriate production of> > > >different immune cells, immunoglobulins, and other parts of the> > > >immune system. But most importantly, they keep the immune system in> > > >the right balance. What typically happens in a person with gut> > > >dysbiosis is that two major arms of their immune system, Th1 and> >Th2,> > > >get out of balance with underactive Th1 and overactive Th2. As a> > > >result, the immune system starts reacting to most environmental> > > >stimuli in an allergic or atopic kind of way.> > > > >> > > > > A baby is born with an immature immune system. Establishment of> > > >a healthy balance of gut flora in the first few days of life plays> >a> > > >crucial role in the appropriate maturation of the immune system. If> > > >the baby does not acquire appropriate gut flora then the baby is> >left> > > >immune compromised. The result is lots of infections followed by> >lots> > > >of courses of antibiotics, which damage the child's gut flora and> > > >immune system even further.> > > > >> > > > > The most common infections in the first two years of life in> > > >the children with neurological, psychological, and atopic disorders> > > >are ear infections, chest infections, sore throats, and impetigo.> > > > >> > > > > At the same time, in the first two years of life the child> > > >receives a lot of vaccinations. A child with compromised immune> > > >system does not react to vaccinations in a predicted way. In most> > > >cases, vaccines deepen the damage to the immune system and provide> >a> > > >source of chronic persistent viral infections and autoimmune> >problems> > > >in these children.> > > > >> > > > > A considerable amount of research has been published regarding> > > >the state of the immune system in children with learning> >disabilities> > > >and psychiatric problems. The research shows deep abnormalities in> > > >all major cell groups and immunoglobulins in these children. The> >most> > > >common autoantibodies found are to myelin basic protein (MBP) and> > > >neuron-axon filament protein (NSFP). These antibodies attack the> > > >child's brain and the rest of the nervous system.> > > > >> > > > > So, the modern child did not get normal gut flora from the> > > >start and then got it damaged even further by repeated courses of> > > >antibiotics and vaccinations. As a result, these children commonly> > > >suffer from digestive problems, allergies, asthma, and eczema.> > > > >> > > > > For children who then go on to develop neurological and> > > >psychiatric problems, something even more terrible happens. Without> > > >control of the beneficial bacteria, different opportunistic and> > > >pathogenic bacteria, viruses, and fungi have a good chance to> >occupy> > > >large territories in the digestive tract of the child and grow> >large> > > >colonies.> > > > >> > > > > Two particular groups which are most commonly found on testing> > > >are yeasts (including Candida species) and Clostridia family. These> > > >pathogenic microbes start digesting food in their own way,> >producing> > > >large amounts of various toxic substances which get absorbed into> >the> > > >blood stream and are carried to the brain, where they cross the> >blood-> > > >brain barrier.> > > > >> > > > > The number and mixture of toxins can be very individual,> > > >causing a variety of neurological and psychological symptoms. Due> >to> > > >the absence or greatly reduced numbers of beneficial bacteria in> >the> > > >gut flora, instead of being a source of nourishment the child's> > > >digestive system becomes a major source of toxicity in the body.> > > > >> > > > > What kind of toxins are we talking about?> > > > >> > > > > There are many toxins which have not been studied very well> > > >yet. But some toxins have received a considerable amount of> >research.> > > >Let us have a look at them.> > > > >> > > > > Acetaldehyde and alcohol - what have these substances got to do> > > >with children? The most common pathogenic microbes shown to> >overgrow> > > >in the digestive systems of children with neuropsychological> > > >conditions and allergies are yeasts, particularly Candida species.> > > >Yeasts ferment dietary carbohydrates, producing alcohol and its by-> > > >product, acetaldehyde.> > > > > Let us see what a constant exposure to alcohol and acetaldehyde> > > >does to the body. The effects include:> > > > > a.. Liver damage with reduced ability to detoxify drugs,> > > >pollutants, and other toxins.> > > > >> > > > >> > > > > b.. Inability of the liver to dispose of old> > > >neurotransmitters, hormones, and other byproducts of normal> > > >metabolism. As a result, these substances accumulate in the body,> > > >causing behavioural abnormalities and many other problems.> > > > >> > > > >> > > > > c.. Degeneration of the pancreas with reduced ability to> > > >produce pancreatic enzymes, which impairs digestion.> > > > >> > > > >> > > > > d.. Reduced ability of the stomach wall to produce stomach> > > >acid.> > > > >> > > > >> > > > > e.. Damage to immune system.> > > > >> > > > >> > > > > f.. Brain damage with lack of self-control, impaired co-> > > >ordination, impaired speech, development, aggression, mental> > > >retardation, loss of memory and stupor.> > > > >> > > > >> > > > > g.. Peripheral nerve damage with altered senses and muscle> > > >weakness.> > > > >> > > > >> > > > > h.. Direct muscle tissue damage with altered ability to> > > >contract and relax plus muscle weakness.> > > > >> > > > >> > > > > i.. Nutritional deficiencies from damaging effect on> > > >digestion and absorption of most vitamins, minerals and amino> >acids.> > > >Deficiencies in vitamins B and A are particularly common.> > > > >> > > > >> > > > > j.. Alteration of metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, and> > > >lipids in the body.> > > > >> > > > > Alcohol has an ability to enhance the toxicity of most common> > > >drugs, pollutants, and other toxins. Acetaldehyde is considered to> >be> > > >the most toxic of alcohol by-products. It is the chemical which> >gives> > > >us the feeling of having a hangover. Anybody who has experienced a> > > >hangover can tell you how dreadful he or she felt.> > > > >> > > > > Children who acquire abnormal gut flora with a lot of yeast> > > >from the start may never know any other feeling. Acetaldehyde has a> > > >large variety of toxic influences on the body. One of the most> > > >devastating influences of this chemical is its ability to alter the> > > >structure of proteins. Acetaldehyde-altered proteins are thought to> > > >be responsible for many autoimmune reactions. Children with> > > >neuropsychological problems are commonly found to have antibodies> > > >against their own tissues.> > > > > Other toxins include:> > > > >> > > > > Clostridia neurotoxins. There are about 100 different> > > >Clostridia species known so far. They are present in the stools of> > > >people with autism, schizophrenia, psychosis, severe depression,> > > >muscle paralysis, muscle tonus abnormalities, and some other> > > >neurological and psychiatric conditions. Many Clostridia species> >are> > > >normal inhabitants of a human gut. For example, Clostridium tetani> >is> > > >routinely found in the gut of healthy humans and animals.> > > > >> > > > > Everybody knows that tetanus is a deadly disease, due to an> > > >extremely powerful neurotoxin Clostridium tetani produces.> > > >Clostridium tetani, which lives in the gut, is normally controlled> >by> > > >the beneficial bacteria and does us no harm, because its toxin can> > > >not get through the healthy gut wall. Unfortunately, the children> >we> > > >are discussing do not have a healthy gut wall. In gut dysbiosis> >this> > > >powerful neurotoxin may well get absorbed through the damaged gut> > > >lining and then cross the blood-brain barrier affecting the child's> > > >mental development.> > > > >> > > > > Many other species of Clostridia (perfringens, novyi, septicum,> > > >histolyticum, sordelli, aerofoetidum, tertium, sporogenes, etc)> > > >produce toxins similar to tetanus toxin as well as many other> >toxins.> > > >Dr. Shaw at Great Plains Laboratories describes in detail> >the> > > >number of autistic children who showed significant improvement in> > > >their development and biochemical tests while on anti-Clostridia> > > >medication. Unfortunately, as soon as the medication was stopped> >the> > > >children slipped back into autism, because these children do not> >have> > > >the healthy gut flora to control Clostridia and prevent their> >toxins> > > >from traveling through the gut lining into the bloodstream.> > > > >> > > > > In many cases, Clostridia were not identified in the stools of> > > >these children because Clostridia are strict anaerobes and are very> > > >difficult to study. We need to come up with some better ways of> > > >testing for these potent pathogens.> > > > >> > > > > Yeasts and Clostridia have been given a special opportunity in> > > >the era of antibiotics. Broad-spectrum antibiotics do not touch> >them> > > >while they do kill the beneficial bacteria in the gut, which are> > > >capable of controlling the yeasts and Clostridia. So, after every> > > >course of antibiotics, these two pathogenic groups get out of> >control> > > >and overgrow. The children that we are talking about usually are> > > >exposed to numerous courses of antibiotics pretty much from the> > > >beginning of their lives.> > > > >> > > > > Gluteomorphins and casomorphins or opiates from gluten and> > > >casein. Opiates are drugs - such as opium, morphine and heroin -> > > >which are commonly used by drug addicts. What have they got to do> > > >with children?> > > > >> > > > > Gluten is a protein present in grains - mainly wheat, rye,> > > >oats, and barley. Casein is a milk protein, present in cow, goat,> > > >sheep, human, and all other milk and milk products. In the bodies> >of> > > >children and adults with autism and schizophrenia, these proteins> >do> > > >not get digested properly because their digestive systems are full> >of> > > >abnormal microbial flora. As a result of misdigestion, gluten and> > > >casein turn into substances with chemical structure similar to> > > >opiates such as morphine and heroin.> > > > >> > > > > There has been quite a substantial amount of research conducted> > > >in this area by Dohan, Reichelt, Shattock, Cade and others, in> >which> > > >gluten and casein peptides, called gluteomorphin and casomorphin,> > > >were detected in the urine of schizophrenic patients and autistic> > > >children. Incidentally, these substances were also found in> >patients> > > >with depression and rheumatoid arthritis. These opiates from wheat> > > >and milk get through the blood-brain barrier and block certain> >areas> > > >of the brain, just like morphine or heroin would do, causing> >various> > > >neurological and psychological symptoms. Based on this research,> >the> > > >gluten- and casein-free diet (GFCF diet) has been developed, which> > > >helps a lot of children and adults with autism and schizophrenia.> > > > >> > > > > Dermorphin and deltorphin. These are two frightening toxic> > > >substances with opiate structure that have been found in autistic> > > >children by biochemist Alan Friedman, PhD.> > > > >> > > > > Dermorphin and deltorphin were first identified on the skin of> > > >a poison dart frog in South America. Native people used to dip> >their> > > >darts into the mucous on these frogs in order to paralyse their> > > >enemy, because deltorphin and dermorphin are extremely potent> > > >neurotoxins. Dr. Friedman believes that it is not the frog that> > > >produces these neurotoxins, but rather a fungus which grows on the> > > >skin of this frog. It is possible that this fungus grows in the gut> > > >of autistic children, supplying their bodies with dermorphin and> > > >deltorphin.> > > > >> > > > > Organic acid testing now available in many laboratories around> > > >the world can identify various metabolites of microbial activity> > > >taking place in the gut which are absorbed and then excreted in the> > > >child's urine. Many of these metabolites are highly poisonous> > > >substances.> > > > >> > > > > Low Serum Sulphate is a common finding in these children. It is> > > >an indirect indication of toxicity in the body because sulphates> >are> > > >essential for many detoxification processes and the normal> >metabolism> > > >of brain neurotransmitters. In many cases the child may be getting> > > >plenty of sulphates through the diet, but they all get consumed by> > > >the detox pathways struggling with the river of toxicity which is> > > >constantly coming from the child's gut.> > > > >> > > > > At the same time, another large group of bacteria which> > > >commonly overgrow in the gut dysbiosis situation are sulphate-> > > >reducing bacteria, which make sulphur unavailable for the body to> > > >use. These bacteria metabolise sulphate coming from food into> > > >sulphites, many of which are toxic. Hydrogen sulphide, for example,> > > >is the gas with the rotten egg smell. Some parents of autistic,> > > >hyperactive, and other children tell me that their child's stool> >has> > > >this characteristic smell.> > > > >> > > > > The importance of re-establishing gut flora> > > > >> > > > > The mixture of toxicity in each child can be quite individual> > > >and different. But what they all have in common is gut dysbiosis.> >The> > > >toxicity, which is produced by the abnormal microbial mass in these> > > >children, establishes a link between the gut and the brain. These> > > >children can present with symptoms of autism, ADHD, ADD, OCD,> > > >dyslexia, dyspraxia, schizophrenia, depression, sleep disorders,> > > >allergies, asthma and eczema in any possible combination.> > > > > These are the children who fall in the gap in our medical> > > >knowledge. Any child with a learning disability, neurological or> > > >psychological problems, or allergies should be thoroughly examined> > > >for gut dysbiosis. Re-establishing normal gut flora and treating> >the> > > >digestive system of the child has to be the number one treatment> >for> > > >these disorders, before considering any other treatments with drugs> > > >or otherwise.> > > > >> > > > >> > > > > ----------------------------------------------------------> > > >--------> > > > > Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.> > > > >> > > >> > > >> > >> >> >>