RemedySpot.com

Emailing: Low potassium (hypokalemia) What causes it - MayoClinic.com

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dearest Ladies:

My Potassium levels are low, and I now know why I am having cramping in my legs, racing heart, fatigue and weakness. What to do....love to all....Lea

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~````````~~~~~~~~~~~```

Medical Services | Health Information | Appointments | Education and Research | Jobs | About

Low potassium (hypokalemia): What causes it?

What causes low potassium?

- No name / No state given

Mayo Clinic hematologist Mesa, M.D., and colleagues answer select questions from readers.

Answer

Potassium is an electrolyte that is critical to the function of nerve and muscles cells, including those in your heart. Low potassium (hypokalemia) has many causes. The most common cause of low potassium is excessive potassium loss in urine or from the gastrointestinal tract, such as due to:

Certain diuretics

Chronic or severe vomiting or diarrhea

Impaired kidney function

Overproduction of a hormone (aldosterone) that causes your kidneys to excrete more potassium

Excessive use of laxatives

Eating disorders

Rarely, low potassium is due to not getting enough potassium in your diet. Your serum potassium is normally 3.6 to 4.8 milliequivalents per liter (mEq/L). Having a very low level of potassium (less than 2.5 mEq/L) can be life-threatening and requires emergency medical attention. Signs and symptoms of low potassium include:

Weakness Fatigue

Muscle cramps

Constipation

Abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias)

Treatment of low potassium is directed at the underlying cause and may include potassium supplements. If you're concerned about your potassium level, talk to your doctor.

Check out these best-sellers and special offers on books and newsletters from Mayo Clinic.

Mayo Clinic Book of Alternative Medicine Healthy Living set - Buy 2 books and get 1 free! Get your free trial issue of Health Letter now!

More titles from MayoClinic.com Bookstore …

Advertising and sponsorship policy

Jan 19, 2008

Dearest Ladies:

My Potassium levels are low, and I now know why I am having cramping in my legs, racing heart, fatigue and weakness. What to do....love to all....Lea

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~````````~~~~~~~~~~~```

Medical Services | Health Information | Appointments | Education and Research | Jobs | About

Low potassium (hypokalemia): What causes it?

What causes low potassium?

- No name / No state given

Mayo Clinic hematologist Mesa, M.D., and colleagues answer select questions from readers.

Answer

Potassium is an electrolyte that is critical to the function of nerve and muscles cells, including those in your heart. Low potassium (hypokalemia) has many causes. The most common cause of low potassium is excessive potassium loss in urine or from the gastrointestinal tract, such as due to:

Certain diuretics

Chronic or severe vomiting or diarrhea

Impaired kidney function

Overproduction of a hormone (aldosterone) that causes your kidneys to excrete more potassium

Excessive use of laxatives

Eating disorders

Rarely, low potassium is due to not getting enough potassium in your diet. Your serum potassium is normally 3.6 to 4.8 milliequivalents per liter (mEq/L). Having a very low level of potassium (less than 2.5 mEq/L) can be life-threatening and requires emergency medical attention. Signs and symptoms of low potassium include:

Weakness Fatigue

Muscle cramps

Constipation

Abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias)

Treatment of low potassium is directed at the underlying cause and may include potassium supplements. If you're concerned about your potassium level, talk to your doctor.

Check out these best-sellers and special offers on books and newsletters from Mayo Clinic.

Mayo Clinic Book of Alternative Medicine Healthy Living set - Buy 2 books and get 1 free! Get your free trial issue of Health Letter now!

More titles from MayoClinic.com Bookstore …

Advertising and sponsorship policy

Jan 19, 2008