Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Patty,

What happens if you cant find a doctor in the area to help diagnosis this

Celiac Disease ? Am I ever going to get better with all this information

and most girls have doctors here and I dont what can I do to get

rid of this ?

In a message dated 3/18/2008 12:41:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, glory2glory1401@... writes:

I just have to post this again ladies. Too important!

Celiac and candida issues, as well as Hashimoto's may go hand in glove!

http://www.denvernaturopathic.com/news/celiac.html

DNC News: Celiac Disease, Gluten Ataxia and Candidiasis Subject: Celiac disease, triggered by gluten proteins from wheat in susceptible people, can damage the central nervous system. The cell walls of Candida, the yeast responsible for oral thrush, vaginal infections and intestinal Candidiasis, contain the same protein sequence as wheat gluten and may trigger or stimulate Celiac Disease. Our understanding of celiac disease has come a long way in the last few years. Several recent studies have linked celiac disease to central nervous system damage which may cause sporadic ataxia. Other studies have identified the particular protein sequence in gluten which causes celiac disease. Other researchers have identified a similar protein in candida yeast and suggest that it may also trigger the same disease. These studies suggest that the typical digestive symptoms we associate with celiac disease are present less than 20% of the time. Having "normal" digestion no longer rules out the disease. This is a complicated business but I think rather than gloss over it many people deserve and need the details. So please bear with me and skip over the parts that get to thick. First a bit of background: Celiac disease is also called coeliac disease or celiac sprue. The Merck Manual defines it as a "chronic intestinal malabsorption disorder caused by intolerance to gluten." [1] The villi of the small intestine atrophy and nutrients are poorly absorbed resulting in steatorrhea (frequent greasy stools) and malnutrition. Sufferers usually get better when gluten containing cereal grains are removed from the diet. Although the syndrome was described earlier, [2] it wasn't until 1950 that the link between dietary cereals and the disease was figured out. [3] During the Second World War when the Germans occupied Holland , children with celiac sprue improved dramatically only to get sick again disease again at the end of the war. During the war, wheat and rye were in short supply in Holland . The researcher who noticed this was able to show that it was the gluten protein in grains which triggered the disease. [4] Celiac is a genetic disorder and the incidence varies among different populations. Ireland and people of Irish descent have the highest incidence, about 1 person in 300. In Europe and the United States the incidence is much lower, reported at about 1 in 2,500 or less. The longer a population has eaten wheat the lower the incidence. Europeans have cultivated wheat for almost 9,000 years while the Irish have grown it for only about 3,000 years. I suppose we could rename the disease Celtic Sprue rather than celiac sprue. When tested 90% of people with celiac disease are positive for the HLA-B8 antigen in their blood. The classic problems associated with celiac disease are those of malabsorption and nutritional deficiency. Children with the disease fail to thrive; they are deficient in all of the fat soluble vitamins (A, E, K, and D) and many of the minerals, especially calcium and magnesium. While children are prone to osteomalacia, adults usually develop osteoporosis. This has been the description of celiac disease that medical text books have talked about for decades. Now for what's new. For the last ten years we have known that celiac disease is associated with hypothyroid disease, specifically Hashimoto's Disease. About 10- 14% of celiac patients are hypothyroid. Celiac patients are about ten times as likely to have thyroid nodules. [5,6,7] Is it the same genetic predisposition making people overly prone to develop autoimmune diseases that causes both conditions? Or is it the chronic bowel inflammation that stimulates these autoimmune reactions? At this point it isn't clear. Celiac is clearly an autoimmune disease. The gliaden portion of the gluten protein contains a sequence of amino acids that trigger the immune reaction. When they bind on to the intestinal mucosa they act as an antigen and summon killer lymphocytes to attack. The immune system also develops an immune reaction to the muscle lining of the intestine, the endomysium and the enzyme transglutaminase. [8] People with celiac disease make antibodies which attack both the endomysium and the enzyme transglutaminase. Once this autoimmune process has been triggered, damage occurs in other parts of the body and not just the intestine. Neurological damage occurs with celiac disease. Early on this was thought to be due to nutrient deficiencies caused by malabsorption. Current research shows that the problem is more complex. Celiac disease stimulates the production of antibodies which attack areas besides the intestine including the central nervous system. About 40% of patients who suffer from idiopathic sporadic ataxia have celiac disease which damages their central nervous systems. [9,10,11] The neurological symptoms of celiac disease mimic the symptoms of multiple sclerosis to the degree that celiac must always be ruled out when diagnosing this disease. [12] The neurological conditions caused by celiac disease are now called gluten ataxia and cause damage to the cerebellum, the posterior columns of the spinal cord, and the peripheral nerves. [13] The studies on gluten ataxia have revealed a significant statistic. In patients who had clearly measurable antibodies that are diagnostic of celiac disease and were suffering from gluten ataxia, only 13% had any gastrointestinal complaints. In other words, the hallmark symptoms of poor digestion we associate with celiac disease and use to diagnose the condition may be absent in 87% of patients with gluten related problems! [14] This suggests that celiac may be way under diagnosed. Now we come to what to me is the most interesting of the recent research regarding celiac. It seems fitting that the research again comes from Holland , where celiac disease was first linked to diet. Dr. Nieuwenhuizen, from the research group TNO Nutrition and Food Research, published a paper in the June, 2003, Lancet. He links celiac disease with Candida albicans. Dr. Nieuwenhuizen, knowing the actual sequence of proteins which trigger celiac disease from the published work of other scientists, had searched the databases available to him through TNO to see if the same sequence existed in other places. It turns out the identical sequence of proteins occur in the cell walls of Candida albicans. [15] These Candida gluten-like proteins turn out to be the yeast's "hypha-specific surface protein" nicknamed Hwp1. This is the yeast's version of Velcro and allows it to attach and hang onto the endomysium in the wall of the intestine. It is also targeted by transglutaminase, the enzyme which acts on the gluten protein and serves as a target for immune antibodies. Candida species which don't have this Hwp1 protein can't attach themselves to the digestive tract. [16] If Candida can trigger the same chemical and immunological reactions as wheat gluten do we can imagine a number of interesting implications. First, in people with celiac disease, symptoms usually get better rapidly when they eliminate gluten from their diet. This isn't always the case. Even without gluten some people continue to have symptoms. They may have intestinal Candidiasis. The Candida in their gut may be acting like gluten and continues triggering symptoms. Second, an acute Candida infection may trigger the onset of celiac disease. Even if the Candida is treated and eliminated, the person could be left with a permanent sensitivity to wheat gluten. Candida infections occur frequently with antibiotic usage. In people genetically susceptible to celiac, extra caution should be exercised when using antibiotics to prevent Candida overgrowth. Third, if wheat can cause neurological damage as in gluten ataxia, it is reasonable to assume that Candida could also do so by the same process. Reports of Candida infections causing neurological symptoms are not uncommon; now we have a possible explanation. Fourth, if only a small portion of the people with gluten ataxia have gastrointestinal symptoms despite their severe damage elsewhere in their bodies, it is reasonable to assume that Candida could stimulate significant problems while producing slight or no digestive symptoms. So what does all this mean? Here's my bottom line: Celiac disease may be grossly under diagnosed. It should be ruled out in any chronic digestive condition even if the symptoms don't fit the classic picture. Celiac disease should also be ruled out in osteoporosis and in neurological problems, especially MS. Celiac disease should also be ruled out in Hashimoto's Disease and other thyroid abnormalities. Whenever Celiac disease is diagnosed, Candida infections should be tested for and treated aggressively. People of Irish descent are far more likely to get celiac disease than others and should be extra cautious to avoid Candida infections and treat them aggressively if they occur. References: 1. Merck Manual, Seventeenth Edition 2. Thaysen T, Non-Tropical Sprue. Copenhqagen, Levin and Munsgaard. 1932. 3. Dicke, W. Coeliac Disease: Investigation of harmful effects of certain types of cereal on patients with celiac disease. Doctoral Thesis, University of Utrecht . Netherlands , 1950. 4. Van de Kramer, Weijers, Dicke. Coeliac Disease. IV. An investigation into the injurious constituents of wheat in connection with their action on pateinets with celiac disease. Acta Paediat. 42.223, 1953 5. Counsell et al. Coeliac disease and autoimmune thyroid disease. Gut 1994;35: 844-846 6. Collin et al. Autoimmune thyroid disorders and coeliac disease. European Journal of Endocrinology 1994;130:137-140 7. Freeman H. Deliac associated autoimmune thyroid disease: A study of 16 patients with overt hypothyroidism. 1995; July/Aug: 9(5): 242-246 8. Nat Med. 1997 Jul;3(7):797- Identification of tissue transglutaminase as the autoantigen of celiac disease. Dieterich W, Ehnis T, Bauer M, Donner P, Volta U, Riecken EO, Schuppan D. 9. Brain. 2001 May;124(Pt 5):1013-9. Sporadic cerebellar ataxia associated with gluten sensitivity. Burk K, Bosch S, Muller CA, Melms A, Zuhlke C, Stern M, Besenthal I, Skalej M, Ruck P, Ferber S, Klockgether T, Dichgans J 10. Neurology. 2002 Apr 23;58(8):1221-6The humoral response in the pathogenesis of gluten ataxia. Hadjivassiliou M, Boscolo S, Davies- GA, Grunewald RA, Not T, DS, Simpson JE, Tongiorgi E, on CA, Woodroofe NM. 11. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2003 Sep;74(9):1221-4 Dietary treatment of gluten ataxia. Hadjivassiliou M, Davies- GA, DS, Grunewald RA. 12. Neurol Sci. 2001 Nov;22 Suppl 2:S117-22 Neurological manifestations of gastrointestinal disorders, with particular reference to the differential diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Ghezzi A, Zaffaroni M. 13. Lancet. 1998 Nov 14;352(9140):1582-5 Clinical, radiological, neurophysiological, and neuropathological characteristics of gluten ataxia. Hadjivassiliou M, Grunewald RA, Chattopadhyay AK, Davies- GA, Gibson A, Jarratt JA, Kandler RH, Lobo A, T, CM. 14. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2003 Sep;74(9):1221-4 Dietary treatment of gluten ataxia. Hadjivassiliou M, Davies- GA, DS, Grunewald RA. 15. Lancet. 2003 Jun 21;361(9375):2152-4. Is Candida albicans a trigger in the onset of coeliac disease? Nieuwenhuizen WF, Pieters RH, Knippels LM, Jansen MC, Koppelman SJ. 16. Science. 1999 Mar 5;283(5407):1535-8. Adhesive and mammalian transglutaminase substrate properties of Candida albicans Hwp1. Staab JF, Bradway SD, Fidel PL, Sundstrom P.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.

Guest guest

Rogene,

Considering I got rid of all gluten products about 2 months ago I eat no breads,

I have eggs in the morning and boil egg or salad in afternoon and meat for supper.

I am not eating very much it just makes me sick to eat.

Love

In a message dated 3/18/2008 4:35:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, saxony01@... writes:

,About 20% of the population is gluten sensitive . . . most don't know it.One way you can tell (without testing) is if you eliminate ALL gluten from your diet for a week or so. . . You relief will be readily apparent.Hugs,Rogene

Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.

Guest guest

Rogene,

Considering I got rid of all gluten products about 2 months ago I eat no breads,

I have eggs in the morning and boil egg or salad in afternoon and meat for supper.

I am not eating very much it just makes me sick to eat.

Love

In a message dated 3/18/2008 4:35:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, saxony01@... writes:

,About 20% of the population is gluten sensitive . . . most don't know it.One way you can tell (without testing) is if you eliminate ALL gluten from your diet for a week or so. . . You relief will be readily apparent.Hugs,Rogene

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Most people with mercury toxicity are gluten intolerant (precursor to

celiac disease) because the mercury has wiped out the digestive

enzymes. Mercola says that even if you're not mercury toxic, ALL

people have difficulty processing gluten and that it's hard on the

adrenals. For anyone with chronic illness, they should avoid it. It

sounds like you do anyway with the way you've described your diet.

Don't worry about the testing. I had a small intestine biopsy to

determine whether or not I'm celiac. It came back negative yet I

know for a fact when I eat bread I am miserable...wasted money and

torture!! Best to just avoid the gluten which is in breads, muffins,

cakes, wheat, barley, spelt, rye.

Try not to worry about the doctors. Patty was her own doctor for the

most part. Travel if you have to if it's in your budget, if your

body can handle it and if it'll ease your mind. My doc is 5 hours

away in Chicago. He's given some good advice, yet I have learned far

more on this forum and received more in-depth knowlegeable answers

than I have from all my docs combined. I went to him to ease my mind

but looking back he's really just reiterated what Patty and Rogene

keep saying. Love, PH

>

> Patty,

> What happens if you cant find a doctor in the area to help

diagnosis this

> Celiac Disease ? Am I ever going to get better with all this

information

> and most girls have doctors here and I dont what can I do to get

> rid of this ?

>

>

>

> In a message dated 3/18/2008 12:41:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

> glory2glory1401@... writes:

>

>

>

>

> I just have to post this again ladies. Too important!

> Celiac and candida issues, as well as Hashimoto's may go hand in

glove!

> _http://www.denvernahttp://www.http://wwhttp://www._

> (http://www.denvernaturopathic.com/news/celiac.html)

> DNC News: Celiac Disease, Gluten Ataxia and Candidiasis

>

> Subject: Celiac disease, triggered by gluten proteins from wheat

in

> susceptible people, can damage the central nervous system. The

cell walls of

> Candida, the yeast responsible for oral thrush, vaginal infections

and intestinal

> Candidiasis, contain the same protein sequence as wheat gluten and

may

> trigger or stimulate Celiac Disease.

>

>

> Our understanding of celiac disease has come a long way in the

last few

> years. Several recent studies have linked celiac disease to

central nervous

> system damage which may cause sporadic ataxia. Other studies have

identified the

> particular protein sequence in gluten which causes celiac

disease. Other

> researchers have identified a similar protein in candida yeast and

suggest that

> it may also trigger the same disease. These studies suggest that

the typical

> digestive symptoms we associate with celiac disease are present

less than

> 20% of the time. Having " normal " digestion no longer rules out

the disease.

>

> This is a complicated business but I think rather than gloss over

it many

> people deserve and need the details. So please bear with me and

skip over the

> parts that get to thick.

>

> First a bit of background:

> Celiac disease is also called coeliac disease or celiac sprue. The

Merck

> Manual defines it as a " chronic intestinal malabsorption disorder

caused by

> intolerance to gluten. " [1] The villi of the small intestine

atrophy and

> nutrients are poorly absorbed resulting in steatorrhea (frequent

greasy stools) and

> malnutrition. Sufferers usually get better when gluten

containing cereal

> grains are removed from the diet. Although the syndrome was

described

> earlier, [2] it wasn't until 1950 that the link between dietary

cereals and the

> disease was figured out. [3] During the Second World War when

the Germans

> occupied Holland , children with celiac sprue improved

dramatically only to get

> sick again disease again at the end of the war. During the war,

wheat and rye

> were in short supply in Holland . The researcher who noticed this

was able

> to show that it was the gluten protein in grains which triggered

the disease.

> [4]

> Celiac is a genetic disorder and the incidence varies among

different

> populations. Ireland and people of Irish descent have the highest

incidence, about

> 1 person in 300. In Europe and the United States the incidence is

much

> lower, reported at about 1 in 2,500 or less. The longer a

population has eaten

> wheat the lower the incidence. Europeans have cultivated wheat

for almost

> 9,000 years while the Irish have grown it for only about 3,000

years. I suppose

> we could rename the disease Celtic Sprue rather than celiac sprue.

When tested

> 90% of people with celiac disease are positive for the HLA-B8

antigen in

> their blood.

> The classic problems associated with celiac disease are those of

> malabsorption and nutritional deficiency. Children with the

disease fail to thrive;

> they are deficient in all of the fat soluble vitamins (A, E, K,

and D) and many

> of the minerals, especially calcium and magnesium. While children

are prone

> to osteomalacia, adults usually develop osteoporosis. This has

been the

> description of celiac disease that medical text books have talked

about for

> decades. Now for what's new.

>

> For the last ten years we have known that celiac disease is

associated with

> hypothyroid disease, specifically Hashimoto's Disease. About 10-

14% of

> celiac patients are hypothyroid. Celiac patients are about ten

times as likely to

> have thyroid nodules. [5,6,7] Is it the same genetic

predisposition making

> people overly prone to develop autoimmune diseases that causes

both

> conditions? Or is it the chronic bowel inflammation that

stimulates these autoimmune

> reactions? At this point it isn't clear.

>

> Celiac is clearly an autoimmune disease. The gliaden portion of

the gluten

> protein contains a sequence of amino acids that trigger the immune

reaction.

> When they bind on to the intestinal mucosa they act as an antigen

and summon

> killer lymphocytes to attack. The immune system also develops an

immune

> reaction to the muscle lining of the intestine, the endomysium and

the enzyme

> transglutaminase. [8] People with celiac disease make antibodies

which attack

> both the endomysium and the enzyme transglutaminase. Once this

autoimmune

> process has been triggered, damage occurs in other parts of the

body and not just

> the intestine.

>

> Neurological damage occurs with celiac disease. Early on this was

thought

> to be due to nutrient deficiencies caused by malabsorption.

Current research

> shows that the problem is more complex. Celiac disease stimulates

the

> production of antibodies which attack areas besides the intestine

including the

> central nervous system. About 40% of patients who suffer from

idiopathic

> sporadic ataxia have celiac disease which damages their central

nervous systems.

> [9,10,11] The neurological symptoms of celiac disease mimic the

symptoms of

> multiple sclerosis to the degree that celiac must always be ruled

out when

> diagnosing this disease. [12] The neurological conditions

caused by celiac

> disease are now called gluten ataxia and cause damage to the

cerebellum, the

> posterior columns of the spinal cord, and the peripheral nerves.

[13]

>

> The studies on gluten ataxia have revealed a significant

statistic. In

> patients who had clearly measurable antibodies that are diagnostic

of celiac

> disease and were suffering from gluten ataxia, only 13% had any

gastrointestinal

> complaints. In other words, the hallmark symptoms of poor

digestion we

> associate with celiac disease and use to diagnose the condition

may be absent in

> 87% of patients with gluten related problems! [14] This suggests

that celiac

> may be way under diagnosed.

>

> Now we come to what to me is the most interesting of the recent

research

> regarding celiac. It seems fitting that the research again comes

from Holland ,

> where celiac disease was first linked to diet. Dr.

Nieuwenhuizen, from the

> research group TNO Nutrition and Food Research, published a paper

in the

> June, 2003, Lancet. He links celiac disease with Candida albicans.

Dr.

> Nieuwenhuizen, knowing the actual sequence of proteins which

trigger celiac disease

> from the published work of other scientists, had searched the

databases

> available to him through TNO to see if the same sequence existed

in other places.

> It turns out the identical sequence of proteins occur in the cell

walls of

> Candida albicans. [15]

>

> These Candida gluten-like proteins turn out to be the yeast's

> " hypha-specific surface protein " nicknamed Hwp1. This is the

yeast's version of Velcro and

> allows it to attach and hang onto the endomysium in the wall of

the

> intestine. It is also targeted by transglutaminase, the enzyme

which acts on the

> gluten protein and serves as a target for immune antibodies.

Candida species

> which don't have this Hwp1 protein can't attach themselves to the

digestive

> tract. [16]

>

> If Candida can trigger the same chemical and immunological

reactions as

> wheat gluten do we can imagine a number of interesting

implications.

> First, in people with celiac disease, symptoms usually get better

rapidly

> when they eliminate gluten from their diet. This isn't always the

case. Even

> without gluten some people continue to have symptoms. They may have

> intestinal Candidiasis. The Candida in their gut may be acting

like gluten and

> continues triggering symptoms.

> Second, an acute Candida infection may trigger the onset of celiac

disease.

> Even if the Candida is treated and eliminated, the person could be

left with

> a permanent sensitivity to wheat gluten. Candida infections occur

frequently

> with antibiotic usage. In people genetically susceptible to

celiac, extra

> caution should be exercised when using antibiotics to prevent

Candida

> overgrowth.

> Third, if wheat can cause neurological damage as in gluten ataxia,

it is

> reasonable to assume that Candida could also do so by the same

process. Reports

> of Candida infections causing neurological symptoms are not

uncommon; now we

> have a possible explanation.

> Fourth, if only a small portion of the people with gluten ataxia

have

> gastrointestinal symptoms despite their severe damage elsewhere in

their bodies, it

> is reasonable to assume that Candida could stimulate significant

problems

> while producing slight or no digestive symptoms.

>

> So what does all this mean? Here's my bottom line:

> Celiac disease may be grossly under diagnosed. It should be ruled

out in any

> chronic digestive condition even if the symptoms don't fit the

classic

> picture. Celiac disease should also be ruled out in osteoporosis

and in

> neurological problems, especially MS. Celiac disease should also

be ruled out in

> Hashimoto's Disease and other thyroid abnormalities. Whenever

Celiac disease is

> diagnosed, Candida infections should be tested for and treated

aggressively.

> People of Irish descent are far more likely to get celiac disease

than

> others and should be extra cautious to avoid Candida infections

and treat them

> aggressively if they occur.

>

>

>

>

> References:

> 1. Merck Manual, Seventeenth Edition

> 2. Thaysen T, Non-Tropical Sprue. Copenhqagen, Levin and

Munsgaard. 1932.

> 3. Dicke, W. Coeliac Disease: Investigation of harmful effects of

certain

> types of cereal on patients with celiac disease. Doctoral Thesis,

University

> of Utrecht . Netherlands , 1950.

> 4. Van de Kramer, Weijers, Dicke. Coeliac Disease. IV. An

investigation

> into the injurious constituents of wheat in connection with their

action on

> pateinets with celiac disease. Acta Paediat. 42.223, 1953

> 5. Counsell et al. Coeliac disease and autoimmune thyroid

disease. Gut

> 1994;35: 844-846

> 6. Collin et al. Autoimmune thyroid disorders and coeliac

disease. European

> Journal of Endocrinology 1994;130:137- Col

> 7. Freeman H. Deliac associated autoimmune thyroid disease: A

study of 16

> patients with overt hypothyroidism. 1995; July/Aug: 9(5): 242-246

> 8. Nat Med. 1997 Jul;3(7):797- Identification of tissue

transglutaminase as

> the autoantigen of celiac disease.

> Dieterich W, Ehnis T, Bauer M, Donner P, Volta U, Riecken EO,

Schuppan D.

> 9. Brain. 2001 May;124(Pt 5):1013-9. Sporadic cerebellar ataxia

associated

> with gluten sensitivity.

> Burk K, Bosch S, Muller CA, Melms A, Zuhlke C, Stern M, Besenthal

I, Skalej

> M, Ruck P, Ferber S, Klockgether T, Dichgans J

> 10. Neurology. 2002 Apr 23;58(8):1221- Neurology. 2002 Apr

> 23;58(8):1221-<WBR>6The humoral response in the pathogenesis of

gluten ataxia.

> Hadjivassiliou M, Boscolo S, Davies- GA, Grunewald RA, Not T,

DS, Simpson JE

> 11. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2003 Sep;74(9):1221-

> Dietary treatment of gluten ataxia. Hadjivassiliou M, Davies-

GA,

> DS, Grunewald RA.

> 12. Neurol Sci. 2001 Nov;22 Suppl 2:S117-22

> Neurological manifestations of gastrointestinal disorders, with

particular

> reference to the differential diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.

Ghezzi A,

> Zaffaroni M.

> 13. Lancet. 1998 Nov 14;352(9140)13. Clinical, radiological,

> neurophysiological, and neuropathological characteristics of

gluten ataxia.

> Hadjivassiliou M, Grunewald RA, Chattopadhyay AK, Davies- GA,

Gibson A, Jarratt JA,

> Kandler RH, Lobo A, T, CM.

> 14. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2003 Sep;74(9):1221-1 Dietary

treatment

> of gluten ataxia. Hadjivassiliou M, Davies- GA, DS,

Grunewald

> RA.

> 15. Lancet. 2003 Jun 21;361(9375) Lancet. Is Candida albicans

a trigger

> in the onset of coeliac disease?

> Nieuwenhuizen WF, Pieters RH, Knippels LM, Jansen MC, Koppelman

SJ.

> 16. Science. 1999 Mar 5;283(5407): Scienc Adhesive and

mammalian

> transglutaminase substrate properties of Candida albicans Hwp1.

Staab JF, Bradway

> SD, Fidel PL, Sundstrom P.

>

>

>

> ____________________________________

> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile.

_Try it

> now._

>

(http://us.rd./evt=51733/*http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06

i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ)

>

>

>

>

>

>

> **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video

on AOL

> Home.

> (http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?

ncid=aolhom00030000000001)

>

Guest guest

Most people with mercury toxicity are gluten intolerant (precursor to

celiac disease) because the mercury has wiped out the digestive

enzymes. Mercola says that even if you're not mercury toxic, ALL

people have difficulty processing gluten and that it's hard on the

adrenals. For anyone with chronic illness, they should avoid it. It

sounds like you do anyway with the way you've described your diet.

Don't worry about the testing. I had a small intestine biopsy to

determine whether or not I'm celiac. It came back negative yet I

know for a fact when I eat bread I am miserable...wasted money and

torture!! Best to just avoid the gluten which is in breads, muffins,

cakes, wheat, barley, spelt, rye.

Try not to worry about the doctors. Patty was her own doctor for the

most part. Travel if you have to if it's in your budget, if your

body can handle it and if it'll ease your mind. My doc is 5 hours

away in Chicago. He's given some good advice, yet I have learned far

more on this forum and received more in-depth knowlegeable answers

than I have from all my docs combined. I went to him to ease my mind

but looking back he's really just reiterated what Patty and Rogene

keep saying. Love, PH

>

> Patty,

diagnosis this

information

> rid of this ?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

glove!

>

in

cell walls of

and intestinal

may

>

>

last few

central nervous

identified the

disease. Other

suggest that

the typical

less than

the disease.

>

it many

skip over the

>

Merck

caused by

atrophy and

greasy stools) and

containing cereal

described

cereals and the

the Germans

dramatically only to get

wheat and rye

was able

the disease.

> [4]

different

incidence, about

much

population has eaten

for almost

years. I suppose

When tested

antigen in

> their blood.

disease fail to thrive;

and D) and many

are prone

been the

about for

>

associated with

14% of

times as likely to

predisposition making

both

>

the gluten

reaction.

and summon

immune

the enzyme

which attack

autoimmune

body and not just

> the intestine.

>

thought

Current research

the

including the

idiopathic

nervous systems.

symptoms of

out when

caused by celiac

cerebellum, the

[13]

>

statistic. In

of celiac

gastrointestinal

digestion we

may be absent in

that celiac

>

research

from Holland ,

Nieuwenhuizen, from the

in the

Dr.

trigger celiac disease

databases

in other places.

walls of

> Candida albicans. [15]

>

the

which acts on the

Candida species

digestive

> tract. [16]

>

reactions as

implications.

rapidly

case. Even

like gluten and

disease.

left with

frequently

celiac, extra

Candida

> overgrowth.

it is

process. Reports

uncommon; now we

have

their bodies, it

problems

>

out in any

classic

and in

be ruled out in

Celiac disease is

aggressively.

than

and treat them

>

>

>

>

> References:

Munsgaard. 1932.

certain

University

investigation

action on

disease. Gut

disease. European

study of 16

transglutaminase as

Schuppan D.

associated

I, Skalej

gluten ataxia.

DS, Simpson JE

GA,

> DS, Grunewald RA.

particular

Ghezzi A,

> Zaffaroni M.

gluten ataxia.

Gibson A, Jarratt JA,

treatment

Grunewald

> RA.

a trigger

SJ.

mammalian

Staab JF, Bradway

>

>

>

_Try it

> now._

>

i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ)

>

>

>

>

>

>

on AOL

> Home.

>

Guest guest

If/when you go back to eating gluten products, do it very carefully. You will have lost whatever tolerance you had for gluten. . . A friend lost consciousness after inadvertently eating something with gluten in it - woke up to EMT's standing over her. She gets sick very rapidly when she gets even the tiniest amount of gluten. . . If they put something on her plate that has gluten, she trims away any food that may have touched it. She generally calls ahead before visiting a restaurant, or talks to the cook. LOL! . . . I was with her when she asked the waiter if the gravy had any wheat in it . . . He said no, "just some flour"! She generally just brings her meal with her and orders a

salad. You can use corn starch to thicken gravy.Hugs,Rogene

Guest guest

If/when you go back to eating gluten products, do it very carefully. You will have lost whatever tolerance you had for gluten. . . A friend lost consciousness after inadvertently eating something with gluten in it - woke up to EMT's standing over her. She gets sick very rapidly when she gets even the tiniest amount of gluten. . . If they put something on her plate that has gluten, she trims away any food that may have touched it. She generally calls ahead before visiting a restaurant, or talks to the cook. LOL! . . . I was with her when she asked the waiter if the gravy had any wheat in it . . . He said no, "just some flour"! She generally just brings her meal with her and orders a

salad. You can use corn starch to thicken gravy.Hugs,Rogene

Guest guest

Rogene,

Thanks for the tip ....but i will stay away from gluten until I

feel my body getting stronger.

Lots of love

In a message dated 3/18/2008 9:56:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, saxony01@... writes:

If/when you go back to eating gluten products, do it very carefully. You will have lost whatever tolerance you had for gluten. . . A friend lost consciousness after inadvertently eating something with gluten in it - woke up to EMT's standing over her. She gets sick very rapidly when she gets even the tiniest amount of gluten. . . If they put something on her plate that has gluten, she trims away any food that may have touched it. She generally calls ahead before visiting a restaurant, or talks to the cook. LOL! . . . I was with her when she asked the waiter if the gravy had any wheat in it . . . He said no, "just some flour"! She generally just brings her meal with her and orders a salad. You can use corn starch to thicken gravy.Hugs,Rogene

Guest guest

Thanks Patty I will check it out.

Love

In a message dated 3/19/2008 11:16:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, glory2glory1401@... writes:

SHelly,There is an excellent lab that you can order a kit online, and they will send you what you need for submitting a stool sample.https://www.enterolab.com/Home.htmThey are accredited and their testing is tops, and not expensive.The thing about celiac disease is that you can't get rid of it. You can only stop the symptoms by eliminating glutenous foods from your diet. This means wheat, rye, barley, and other grains.Patty>> Patty,> What happens if you cant find a doctor in the area to help diagnosis this> Celiac Disease ? Am I ever going to get better with all this information> and most girls have doctors here and I dont what can I do to get > rid of this ?> > > > In a message dated 3/18/2008 12:41:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, > glory2glory1401@... writes:> > > > > I just have to post this again ladies. Too important! > Celiac and candida issues, as well as Hashimoto's may go hand in glove!> _http://www.denvernahttp://www.http://wwhttp://www._ > (http://www.denvernaturopathic.com/news/celiac.html) > DNC News: Celiac Disease, Gluten Ataxia and Candidiasis > > Subject: Celiac disease, triggered by gluten proteins from wheat in > susceptible people, can damage the central nervous system. The cell walls of > Candida, the yeast responsible for oral thrush, vaginal infections and intestinal > Candidiasis, contain the same protein sequence as wheat gluten and may > trigger or stimulate Celiac Disease. > > > Our understanding of celiac disease has come a long way in the last few > years. Several recent studies have linked celiac disease to central nervous > system damage which may cause sporadic ataxia. Other studies have identified the > particular protein sequence in gluten which causes celiac disease. Other > researchers have identified a similar protein in candida yeast and suggest that > it may also trigger the same disease. These studies suggest that the typical > digestive symptoms we associate with celiac disease are present less than > 20% of the time. Having "normal" digestion no longer rules out the disease. > > This is a complicated business but I think rather than gloss over it many > people deserve and need the details. So please bear with me and skip over the > parts that get to thick. > > First a bit of background: > Celiac disease is also called coeliac disease or celiac sprue. The Merck > Manual defines it as a "chronic intestinal malabsorption disorder caused by > intolerance to gluten." [1] The villi of the small intestine atrophy and > nutrients are poorly absorbed resulting in steatorrhea (frequent greasy stools) and > malnutrition. Sufferers usually get better when gluten containing cereal > grains are removed from the diet. Although the syndrome was described > earlier, [2] it wasn't until 1950 that the link between dietary cereals and the > disease was figured out. [3] During the Second World War when the Germans > occupied Holland , children with celiac sprue improved dramatically only to get > sick again disease again at the end of the war. During the war, wheat and rye > were in short supply in Holland . The researcher who noticed this was able > to show that it was the gluten protein in grains which triggered the disease. > [4] > Celiac is a genetic disorder and the incidence varies among different > populations. Ireland and people of Irish descent have the highest incidence, about > 1 person in 300. In Europe and the United States the incidence is much > lower, reported at about 1 in 2,500 or less. The longer a population has eaten > wheat the lower the incidence. Europeans have cultivated wheat for almost > 9,000 years while the Irish have grown it for only about 3,000 years. I suppose > we could rename the disease Celtic Sprue rather than celiac sprue. When tested > 90% of people with celiac disease are positive for the HLA-B8 antigen in > their blood. > The classic problems associated with celiac disease are those of > malabsorption and nutritional deficiency. Children with the disease fail to thrive; > they are deficient in all of the fat soluble vitamins (A, E, K, and D) and many > of the minerals, especially calcium and magnesium. While children are prone > to osteomalacia, adults usually develop osteoporosis. This has been the > description of celiac disease that medical text books have talked about for > decades. Now for what's new. > > For the last ten years we have known that celiac disease is associated with > hypothyroid disease, specifically Hashimoto's Disease. About 10- 14% of > celiac patients are hypothyroid. Celiac patients are about ten times as likely to > have thyroid nodules. [5,6,7] Is it the same genetic predisposition making > people overly prone to develop autoimmune diseases that causes both > conditions? Or is it the chronic bowel inflammation that stimulates these autoimmune > reactions? At this point it isn't clear. > > Celiac is clearly an autoimmune disease. The gliaden portion of the gluten > protein contains a sequence of amino acids that trigger the immune reaction. > When they bind on to the intestinal mucosa they act as an antigen and summon > killer lymphocytes to attack. The immune system also develops an immune > reaction to the muscle lining of the intestine, the endomysium and the enzyme > transglutaminase. [8] People with celiac disease make antibodies which attack > both the endomysium and the enzyme transglutaminase. Once this autoimmune > process has been triggered, damage occurs in other parts of the body and not just > the intestine. > > Neurological damage occurs with celiac disease. Early on this was thought > to be due to nutrient deficiencies caused by malabsorption. Current research > shows that the problem is more complex. Celiac disease stimulates the > production of antibodies which attack areas besides the intestine including the > central nervous system. About 40% of patients who suffer from idiopathic > sporadic ataxia have celiac disease which damages their central nervous systems. > [9,10,11] The neurological symptoms of celiac disease mimic the symptoms of > multiple sclerosis to the degree that celiac must always be ruled out when > diagnosing this disease. [12] The neurological conditions caused by celiac > disease are now called gluten ataxia and cause damage to the cerebellum, the > posterior columns of the spinal cord, and the peripheral nerves. [13] > > The studies on gluten ataxia have revealed a significant statistic. In > patients who had clearly measurable antibodies that are diagnostic of celiac > disease and were suffering from gluten ataxia, only 13% had any gastrointestinal > complaints. In other words, the hallmark symptoms of poor digestion we > associate with celiac disease and use to diagnose the condition may be absent in > 87% of patients with gluten related problems! [14] This suggests that celiac > may be way under diagnosed. > > Now we come to what to me is the most interesting of the recent research > regarding celiac. It seems fitting that the research again comes from Holland , > where celiac disease was first linked to diet. Dr. Nieuwenhuizen, from the > research group TNO Nutrition and Food Research, published a paper in the > June, 2003, Lancet. He links celiac disease with Candida albicans. Dr. > Nieuwenhuizen, knowing the actual sequence of proteins which trigger celiac disease > from the published work of other scientists, had searched the databases > available to him through TNO to see if the same sequence existed in other places. > It turns out the identical sequence of proteins occur in the cell walls of > Candida albicans. [15] > > These Candida gluten-like proteins turn out to be the yeast's > "hypha-specific surface protein" nicknamed Hwp1. This is the yeast's version of Velcro and > allows it to attach and hang onto the endomysium in the wall of the > intestine. It is also targeted by transglutaminase, the enzyme which acts on the > gluten protein and serves as a target for immune antibodies. Candida species > which don't have this Hwp1 protein can't attach themselves to the digestive > tract. [16] > > If Candida can trigger the same chemical and immunological reactions as > wheat gluten do we can imagine a number of interesting implications. > First, in people with celiac disease, symptoms usually get better rapidly > when they eliminate gluten from their diet. This isn't always the case. Even > without gluten some people continue to have symptoms. They may have > intestinal Candidiasis. The Candida in their gut may be acting like gluten and > continues triggering symptoms. > Second, an acute Candida infection may trigger the onset of celiac disease. > Even if the Candida is treated and eliminated, the person could be left with > a permanent sensitivity to wheat gluten. Candida infections occur frequently > with antibiotic usage. In people genetically susceptible to celiac, extra > caution should be exercised when using antibiotics to prevent Candida > overgrowth. > Third, if wheat can cause neurological damage as in gluten ataxia, it is > reasonable to assume that Candida could also do so by the same process. Reports > of Candida infections causing neurological symptoms are not uncommon; now we > have a possible explanation. > Fourth, if only a small portion of the people with gluten ataxia have > gastrointestinal symptoms despite their severe damage elsewhere in their bodies, it > is reasonable to assume that Candida could stimulate significant problems > while producing slight or no digestive symptoms. > > So what does all this mean? Here's my bottom line: > Celiac disease may be grossly under diagnosed. It should be ruled out in any > chronic digestive condition even if the symptoms don't fit the classic > picture. Celiac disease should also be ruled out in osteoporosis and in > neurological problems, especially MS. Celiac disease should also be ruled out in > Hashimoto's Disease and other thyroid abnormalities. Whenever Celiac disease is > diagnosed, Candida infections should be tested for and treated aggressively. > People of Irish descent are far more likely to get celiac disease than > others and should be extra cautious to avoid Candida infections and treat them > aggressively if they occur. > > > > > References: > 1. Merck Manual, Seventeenth Edition > 2. Thaysen T, Non-Tropical Sprue. Copenhqagen, Levin and Munsgaard. 1932. > 3. Dicke, W. Coeliac Disease: Investigation of harmful effects of certain > types of cereal on patients with celiac disease. Doctoral Thesis, University > of Utrecht . Netherlands , 1950. > 4. Van de Kramer, Weijers, Dicke. Coeliac Disease. IV. An investigation > into the injurious constituents of wheat in connection with their action on > pateinets with celiac disease. Acta Paediat. 42.223, 1953 > 5. Counsell et al. Coeliac disease and autoimmune thyroid disease. Gut > 1994;35: 844-846 > 6. Collin et al. Autoimmune thyroid disorders and coeliac disease. European > Journal of Endocrinology 1994;130:137- Col> 7. Freeman H. Deliac associated autoimmune thyroid disease: A study of 16 > patients with overt hypothyroidism. 1995; July/Aug: 9(5): 242-246 > 8. Nat Med. 1997 Jul;3(7):797- Identification of tissue transglutaminase as > the autoantigen of celiac disease. > Dieterich W, Ehnis T, Bauer M, Donner P, Volta U, Riecken EO, Schuppan D. > 9. Brain. 2001 May;124(Pt 5):1013-9. Sporadic cerebellar ataxia associated > with gluten sensitivity. > Burk K, Bosch S, Muller CA, Melms A, Zuhlke C, Stern M, Besenthal I, Skalej > M, Ruck P, Ferber S, Klockgether T, Dichgans J > 10. Neurology. 2002 Apr 23;58(8):1221- Neurology. 2002 Apr > 23;58(8):1221-<WBR>6The humoral response in the pathogenesis of gluten ataxia. > Hadjivassiliou M, Boscolo S, Davies- GA, Grunewald RA, Not T, DS, Simpson JE> 11. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2003 Sep;74(9):1221- > Dietary treatment of gluten ataxia. Hadjivassiliou M, Davies- GA, > DS, Grunewald RA. > 12. Neurol Sci. 2001 Nov;22 Suppl 2:S117-22 > Neurological manifestations of gastrointestinal disorders, with particular > reference to the differential diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Ghezzi A, > Zaffaroni M. > 13. Lancet. 1998 Nov 14;352(9140)13. Clinical, radiological, > neurophysiological, and neuropathological characteristics of gluten ataxia. > Hadjivassiliou M, Grunewald RA, Chattopadhyay AK, Davies- GA, Gibson A, Jarratt JA, > Kandler RH, Lobo A, T, CM. > 14. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2003 Sep;74(9):1221-1 Dietary treatment > of gluten ataxia. Hadjivassiliou M, Davies- GA, DS, Grunewald > RA. > 15. Lancet. 2003 Jun 21;361(9375) Lancet. Is Candida albicans a trigger > in the onset of coeliac disease? > Nieuwenhuizen WF, Pieters RH, Knippels LM, Jansen MC, Koppelman SJ. > 16. Science. 1999 Mar 5;283(5407): Scienc Adhesive and mammalian > transglutaminase substrate properties of Candida albicans Hwp1. Staab JF, Bradway > SD, Fidel PL, Sundstrom P. > > > > ____________________________________> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. _Try it > now._ > (http://us.rd./evt=51733/*http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ) > > > > > > > **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL > Home. > (http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?ncid=aolhom00030000000001)> Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.

Guest guest

SHelly,

There is an excellent lab that you can order a kit online, and they

will send you what you need for submitting a stool sample.

https://www.enterolab.com/Home.htm

They are accredited and their testing is tops, and not expensive.

The thing about celiac disease is that you can't get rid of it. You

can only stop the symptoms by eliminating glutenous foods from your

diet. This means wheat, rye, barley, and other grains.

Patty

>

> Patty,

diagnosis this

information

> rid of this ?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

glove!

>

in

cell walls of

and intestinal

may

>

>

last few

central nervous

identified the

disease. Other

suggest that

the typical

less than

the disease.

>

it many

skip over the

>

Merck

caused by

atrophy and

greasy stools) and

containing cereal

described

cereals and the

the Germans

dramatically only to get

wheat and rye

was able

the disease.

> [4]

different

incidence, about

much

population has eaten

for almost

years. I suppose

When tested

antigen in

> their blood.

disease fail to thrive;

and D) and many

are prone

been the

about for

>

associated with

14% of

times as likely to

predisposition making

both

>

the gluten

reaction.

and summon

immune

the enzyme

which attack

autoimmune

body and not just

> the intestine.

>

thought

Current research

the

including the

idiopathic

nervous systems.

symptoms of

out when

caused by celiac

cerebellum, the

[13]

>

statistic. In

of celiac

gastrointestinal

digestion we

may be absent in

that celiac

>

research

from Holland ,

Nieuwenhuizen, from the

in the

Dr.

trigger celiac disease

databases

in other places.

walls of

> Candida albicans. [15]

>

the

which acts on the

Candida species

digestive

> tract. [16]

>

reactions as

implications.

rapidly

case. Even

like gluten and

disease.

left with

frequently

celiac, extra

Candida

> overgrowth.

it is

process. Reports

uncommon; now we

have

their bodies, it

problems

>

out in any

classic

and in

be ruled out in

Celiac disease is

aggressively.

than

and treat them

>

>

>

>

> References:

Munsgaard. 1932.

certain

University

investigation

action on

disease. Gut

disease. European

study of 16

transglutaminase as

Schuppan D.

associated

I, Skalej

gluten ataxia.

DS, Simpson JE

GA,

> DS, Grunewald RA.

particular

Ghezzi A,

> Zaffaroni M.

gluten ataxia.

Gibson A, Jarratt JA,

treatment

Grunewald

> RA.

a trigger

SJ.

mammalian

Staab JF, Bradway

>

>

>

_Try it

> now._

>

i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ)

>

>

>

>

>

>

on AOL

> Home.

>

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

Patty,

Would you suggest doing another

round of chelation when doing this

30 parasite cleanse or not ?

In a message dated 3/19/2008 11:16:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, glory2glory1401@... writes:

SHelly,There is an excellent lab that you can order a kit online, and they will send you what you need for submitting a stool sample.https://www.enterolab.com/Home.htmThey are accredited and their testing is tops, and not expensive.The thing about celiac disease is that you can't get rid of it. You can only stop the symptoms by eliminating glutenous foods from your diet. This means wheat, rye, barley, and other grains.Patty>> Patty,> What happens if you cant find a doctor in the area to help diagnosis this> Celiac Disease ? Am I ever going to get better with all this information> and most girls have doctors here and I dont what can I do to get > rid of this ?> > > > In a message dated 3/18/2008 12:41:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, > glory2glory1401@... writes:> > > > > I just have to post this again ladies. Too important! > Celiac and candida issues, as well as Hashimoto's may go hand in glove!> _http://www.denvernahttp://www.http://wwhttp://www._ > (http://www.denvernaturopathic.com/news/celiac.html) > DNC News: Celiac Disease, Gluten Ataxia and Candidiasis > > Subject: Celiac disease, triggered by gluten proteins from wheat in > susceptible people, can damage the central nervous system. The cell walls of > Candida, the yeast responsible for oral thrush, vaginal infections and intestinal > Candidiasis, contain the same protein sequence as wheat gluten and may > trigger or stimulate Celiac Disease. > > > Our understanding of celiac disease has come a long way in the last few > years. Several recent studies have linked celiac disease to central nervous > system damage which may cause sporadic ataxia. Other studies have identified the > particular protein sequence in gluten which causes celiac disease. Other > researchers have identified a similar protein in candida yeast and suggest that > it may also trigger the same disease. These studies suggest that the typical > digestive symptoms we associate with celiac disease are present less than > 20% of the time. Having "normal" digestion no longer rules out the disease. > > This is a complicated business but I think rather than gloss over it many > people deserve and need the details. So please bear with me and skip over the > parts that get to thick. > > First a bit of background: > Celiac disease is also called coeliac disease or celiac sprue. The Merck > Manual defines it as a "chronic intestinal malabsorption disorder caused by > intolerance to gluten." [1] The villi of the small intestine atrophy and > nutrients are poorly absorbed resulting in steatorrhea (frequent greasy stools) and > malnutrition. Sufferers usually get better when gluten containing cereal > grains are removed from the diet. Although the syndrome was described > earlier, [2] it wasn't until 1950 that the link between dietary cereals and the > disease was figured out. [3] During the Second World War when the Germans > occupied Holland , children with celiac sprue improved dramatically only to get > sick again disease again at the end of the war. During the war, wheat and rye > were in short supply in Holland . The researcher who noticed this was able > to show that it was the gluten protein in grains which triggered the disease. > [4] > Celiac is a genetic disorder and the incidence varies among different > populations. Ireland and people of Irish descent have the highest incidence, about > 1 person in 300. In Europe and the United States the incidence is much > lower, reported at about 1 in 2,500 or less. The longer a population has eaten > wheat the lower the incidence. Europeans have cultivated wheat for almost > 9,000 years while the Irish have grown it for only about 3,000 years. I suppose > we could rename the disease Celtic Sprue rather than celiac sprue. When tested > 90% of people with celiac disease are positive for the HLA-B8 antigen in > their blood. > The classic problems associated with celiac disease are those of > malabsorption and nutritional deficiency. Children with the disease fail to thrive; > they are deficient in all of the fat soluble vitamins (A, E, K, and D) and many > of the minerals, especially calcium and magnesium. While children are prone > to osteomalacia, adults usually develop osteoporosis. This has been the > description of celiac disease that medical text books have talked about for > decades. Now for what's new. > > For the last ten years we have known that celiac disease is associated with > hypothyroid disease, specifically Hashimoto's Disease. About 10- 14% of > celiac patients are hypothyroid. Celiac patients are about ten times as likely to > have thyroid nodules. [5,6,7] Is it the same genetic predisposition making > people overly prone to develop autoimmune diseases that causes both > conditions? Or is it the chronic bowel inflammation that stimulates these autoimmune > reactions? At this point it isn't clear. > > Celiac is clearly an autoimmune disease. The gliaden portion of the gluten > protein contains a sequence of amino acids that trigger the immune reaction. > When they bind on to the intestinal mucosa they act as an antigen and summon > killer lymphocytes to attack. The immune system also develops an immune > reaction to the muscle lining of the intestine, the endomysium and the enzyme > transglutaminase. [8] People with celiac disease make antibodies which attack > both the endomysium and the enzyme transglutaminase. Once this autoimmune > process has been triggered, damage occurs in other parts of the body and not just > the intestine. > > Neurological damage occurs with celiac disease. Early on this was thought > to be due to nutrient deficiencies caused by malabsorption. Current research > shows that the problem is more complex. Celiac disease stimulates the > production of antibodies which attack areas besides the intestine including the > central nervous system. About 40% of patients who suffer from idiopathic > sporadic ataxia have celiac disease which damages their central nervous systems. > [9,10,11] The neurological symptoms of celiac disease mimic the symptoms of > multiple sclerosis to the degree that celiac must always be ruled out when > diagnosing this disease. [12] The neurological conditions caused by celiac > disease are now called gluten ataxia and cause damage to the cerebellum, the > posterior columns of the spinal cord, and the peripheral nerves. [13] > > The studies on gluten ataxia have revealed a significant statistic. In > patients who had clearly measurable antibodies that are diagnostic of celiac > disease and were suffering from gluten ataxia, only 13% had any gastrointestinal > complaints. In other words, the hallmark symptoms of poor digestion we > associate with celiac disease and use to diagnose the condition may be absent in > 87% of patients with gluten related problems! [14] This suggests that celiac > may be way under diagnosed. > > Now we come to what to me is the most interesting of the recent research > regarding celiac. It seems fitting that the research again comes from Holland , > where celiac disease was first linked to diet. Dr. Nieuwenhuizen, from the > research group TNO Nutrition and Food Research, published a paper in the > June, 2003, Lancet. He links celiac disease with Candida albicans. Dr. > Nieuwenhuizen, knowing the actual sequence of proteins which trigger celiac disease > from the published work of other scientists, had searched the databases > available to him through TNO to see if the same sequence existed in other places. > It turns out the identical sequence of proteins occur in the cell walls of > Candida albicans. [15] > > These Candida gluten-like proteins turn out to be the yeast's > "hypha-specific surface protein" nicknamed Hwp1. This is the yeast's version of Velcro and > allows it to attach and hang onto the endomysium in the wall of the > intestine. It is also targeted by transglutaminase, the enzyme which acts on the > gluten protein and serves as a target for immune antibodies. Candida species > which don't have this Hwp1 protein can't attach themselves to the digestive > tract. [16] > > If Candida can trigger the same chemical and immunological reactions as > wheat gluten do we can imagine a number of interesting implications. > First, in people with celiac disease, symptoms usually get better rapidly > when they eliminate gluten from their diet. This isn't always the case. Even > without gluten some people continue to have symptoms. They may have > intestinal Candidiasis. The Candida in their gut may be acting like gluten and > continues triggering symptoms. > Second, an acute Candida infection may trigger the onset of celiac disease. > Even if the Candida is treated and eliminated, the person could be left with > a permanent sensitivity to wheat gluten. Candida infections occur frequently > with antibiotic usage. In people genetically susceptible to celiac, extra > caution should be exercised when using antibiotics to prevent Candida > overgrowth. > Third, if wheat can cause neurological damage as in gluten ataxia, it is > reasonable to assume that Candida could also do so by the same process. Reports > of Candida infections causing neurological symptoms are not uncommon; now we > have a possible explanation. > Fourth, if only a small portion of the people with gluten ataxia have > gastrointestinal symptoms despite their severe damage elsewhere in their bodies, it > is reasonable to assume that Candida could stimulate significant problems > while producing slight or no digestive symptoms. > > So what does all this mean? Here's my bottom line: > Celiac disease may be grossly under diagnosed. It should be ruled out in any > chronic digestive condition even if the symptoms don't fit the classic > picture. Celiac disease should also be ruled out in osteoporosis and in > neurological problems, especially MS. Celiac disease should also be ruled out in > Hashimoto's Disease and other thyroid abnormalities. Whenever Celiac disease is > diagnosed, Candida infections should be tested for and treated aggressively. > People of Irish descent are far more likely to get celiac disease than > others and should be extra cautious to avoid Candida infections and treat them > aggressively if they occur. > > > > > References: > 1. Merck Manual, Seventeenth Edition > 2. Thaysen T, Non-Tropical Sprue. Copenhqagen, Levin and Munsgaard. 1932. > 3. Dicke, W. Coeliac Disease: Investigation of harmful effects of certain > types of cereal on patients with celiac disease. Doctoral Thesis, University > of Utrecht . Netherlands , 1950. > 4. Van de Kramer, Weijers, Dicke. Coeliac Disease. IV. An investigation > into the injurious constituents of wheat in connection with their action on > pateinets with celiac disease. Acta Paediat. 42.223, 1953 > 5. Counsell et al. Coeliac disease and autoimmune thyroid disease. Gut > 1994;35: 844-846 > 6. Collin et al. Autoimmune thyroid disorders and coeliac disease. European > Journal of Endocrinology 1994;130:137- Col> 7. Freeman H. Deliac associated autoimmune thyroid disease: A study of 16 > patients with overt hypothyroidism. 1995; July/Aug: 9(5): 242-246 > 8. Nat Med. 1997 Jul;3(7):797- Identification of tissue transglutaminase as > the autoantigen of celiac disease. > Dieterich W, Ehnis T, Bauer M, Donner P, Volta U, Riecken EO, Schuppan D. > 9. Brain. 2001 May;124(Pt 5):1013-9. Sporadic cerebellar ataxia associated > with gluten sensitivity. > Burk K, Bosch S, Muller CA, Melms A, Zuhlke C, Stern M, Besenthal I, Skalej > M, Ruck P, Ferber S, Klockgether T, Dichgans J > 10. Neurology. 2002 Apr 23;58(8):1221- Neurology. 2002 Apr > 23;58(8):1221-<WBR>6The humoral response in the pathogenesis of gluten ataxia. > Hadjivassiliou M, Boscolo S, Davies- GA, Grunewald RA, Not T, DS, Simpson JE> 11. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2003 Sep;74(9):1221- > Dietary treatment of gluten ataxia. Hadjivassiliou M, Davies- GA, > DS, Grunewald RA. > 12. Neurol Sci. 2001 Nov;22 Suppl 2:S117-22 > Neurological manifestations of gastrointestinal disorders, with particular > reference to the differential diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Ghezzi A, > Zaffaroni M. > 13. Lancet. 1998 Nov 14;352(9140)13. Clinical, radiological, > neurophysiological, and neuropathological characteristics of gluten ataxia. > Hadjivassiliou M, Grunewald RA, Chattopadhyay AK, Davies- GA, Gibson A, Jarratt JA, > Kandler RH, Lobo A, T, CM. > 14. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2003 Sep;74(9):1221-1 Dietary treatment > of gluten ataxia. Hadjivassiliou M, Davies- GA, DS, Grunewald > RA. > 15. Lancet. 2003 Jun 21;361(9375) Lancet. Is Candida albicans a trigger > in the onset of coeliac disease? > Nieuwenhuizen WF, Pieters RH, Knippels LM, Jansen MC, Koppelman SJ. > 16. Science. 1999 Mar 5;283(5407): Scienc Adhesive and mammalian > transglutaminase substrate properties of Candida albicans Hwp1. Staab JF, Bradway > SD, Fidel PL, Sundstrom P. > > > > ____________________________________> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. _Try it > now._ > (http://us.rd./evt=51733/*http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ) > > > > > > > **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL > Home. > (http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?ncid=aolhom00030000000001)> Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel Guides.

Guest guest

I would probably focus on only doing one therapy at a time.

That way you'll know what is working.

Patty

>

> Patty,

> Would you suggest doing another

> round of chelation when doing this

> 30 parasite cleanse or not ?

>

>

>

>

> In a message dated 3/19/2008 11:16:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

>

>

>

>

> SHelly,

> There is an excellent lab that you can order a kit online, and

they

> will send you what you need for submitting a stool sample.

>

> _https://www.https://wwhttps://whtt_

(https://www.enterolab.com/Home.htm)

>

> They are accredited and their testing is tops, and not expensive.

>

> The thing about celiac disease is that you can't get rid of it.

You

> can only stop the symptoms by eliminating glutenous foods from

your

> diet. This means wheat, rye, barley, and other grains.

> Patty

>

> --- In _ @SalineSupporSal_

(mailto: )

> , shellyjo1021@, shel

> >

> > Patty,

> > What happens if you cant find a doctor in the area to help

> diagnosis this

> > Celiac Disease ? Am I ever going to get better with all this

> information

> > and most girls have doctors here and I dont what can I do to get

> > rid of this ?

> >

> >

> >

> > In a message dated 3/18/2008 12:41:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight

Time,

> > glory2glory1401@ glory2

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > I just have to post this again ladies. Too important!

> > Celiac and candida issues, as well as Hashimoto's may go hand in

> glove!

> > __http://www.denvernahttp://www.http://www.denhttp://_

> (http://www.denvernahttp//www.http://wwhttp://www._)

> > (_http://www.denvernahttp://www.http://wwhttp://www._

> (http://www.denvernaturopathic.com/news/celiac.html) )

> > DNC News: Celiac Disease, Gluten Ataxia and Candidiasis

> >

> > Subject: Celiac disease, triggered by gluten proteins from wheat

> in

> > susceptible people, can damage the central nervous system. The

> cell walls of

> > Candida, the yeast responsible for oral thrush, vaginal

infections

> and intestinal

> > Candidiasis, contain the same protein sequence as wheat gluten

and

> may

> > trigger or stimulate Celiac Disease.

> >

> >

> > Our understanding of celiac disease has come a long way in the

> last few

> > years. Several recent studies have linked celiac disease to

> central nervous

> > system damage which may cause sporadic ataxia. Other studies

have

> identified the

> > particular protein sequence in gluten which causes celiac

> disease. Other

> > researchers have identified a similar protein in candida yeast

and

> suggest that

> > it may also trigger the same disease. These studies suggest that

> the typical

> > digestive symptoms we associate with celiac disease are present

> less than

> > 20% of the time. Having " normal " digestion no longer rules out

> the disease.

> >

> > This is a complicated business but I think rather than gloss

over

> it many

> > people deserve and need the details. So please bear with me and

> skip over the

> > parts that get to thick.

> >

> > First a bit of background:

> > Celiac disease is also called coeliac disease or celiac sprue.

The

> Merck

> > Manual defines it as a " chronic intestinal malabsorption

disorder

> caused by

> > intolerance to gluten. " [1] The villi of the small intestine

> atrophy and

> > nutrients are poorly absorbed resulting in steatorrhea (frequent

> greasy stools) and

> > malnutrition. Sufferers usually get better when gluten

> containing cereal

> > grains are removed from the diet. Although the syndrome was

> described

> > earlier, [2] it wasn't until 1950 that the link between dietary

> cereals and the

> > disease was figured out. [3] During the Second World War when

> the Germans

> > occupied Holland , children with celiac sprue improved

> dramatically only to get

> > sick again disease again at the end of the war. During the war,

> wheat and rye

> > were in short supply in Holland . The researcher who noticed

this

> was able

> > to show that it was the gluten protein in grains which triggered

> the disease.

> > [4]

> > Celiac is a genetic disorder and the incidence varies among

> different

> > populations. Ireland and people of Irish descent have the

highest

> incidence, about

> > 1 person in 300. In Europe and the United States the incidence

is

> much

> > lower, reported at about 1 in 2,500 or less. The longer a

> population has eaten

> > wheat the lower the incidence. Europeans have cultivated wheat

> for almost

> > 9,000 years while the Irish have grown it for only about 3,000

> years. I suppose

> > we could rename the disease Celtic Sprue rather than celiac

sprue.

> When tested

> > 90% of people with celiac disease are positive for the HLA-B8

> antigen in

> > their blood.

> > The classic problems associated with celiac disease are those of

> > malabsorption and nutritional deficiency. Children with the

> disease fail to thrive;

> > they are deficient in all of the fat soluble vitamins (A, E, K,

> and D) and many

> > of the minerals, especially calcium and magnesium. While

children

> are prone

> > to osteomalacia, adults usually develop osteoporosis. This has

> been the

> > description of celiac disease that medical text books have

talked

> about for

> > decades. Now for what's new.

> >

> > For the last ten years we have known that celiac disease is

> associated with

> > hypothyroid disease, specifically Hashimoto's Disease. About 10-

> 14% of

> > celiac patients are hypothyroid. Celiac patients are about ten

> times as likely to

> > have thyroid nodules. [5,6,7] Is it the same genetic

> predisposition making

> > people overly prone to develop autoimmune diseases that causes

> both

> > conditions? Or is it the chronic bowel inflammation that

> stimulates these autoimmune

> > reactions? At this point it isn't clear.

> >

> > Celiac is clearly an autoimmune disease. The gliaden portion of

> the gluten

> > protein contains a sequence of amino acids that trigger the

immune

> reaction.

> > When they bind on to the intestinal mucosa they act as an

antigen

> and summon

> > killer lymphocytes to attack. The immune system also develops an

> immune

> > reaction to the muscle lining of the intestine, the endomysium

and

> the enzyme

> > transglutaminase. [8] People with celiac disease make antibodies

> which attack

> > both the endomysium and the enzyme transglutaminase. Once this

> autoimmune

> > process has been triggered, damage occurs in other parts of the

> body and not just

> > the intestine.

> >

> > Neurological damage occurs with celiac disease. Early on this

was

> thought

> > to be due to nutrient deficiencies caused by malabsorption.

> Current research

> > shows that the problem is more complex. Celiac disease

stimulates

> the

> > production of antibodies which attack areas besides the

intestine

> including the

> > central nervous system. About 40% of patients who suffer from

> idiopathic

> > sporadic ataxia have celiac disease which damages their central

> nervous systems.

> > [9,10,11] The neurological symptoms of celiac disease mimic the

> symptoms of

> > multiple sclerosis to the degree that celiac must always be

ruled

> out when

> > diagnosing this disease. [12] The neurological conditions

> caused by celiac

> > disease are now called gluten ataxia and cause damage to the

> cerebellum, the

> > posterior columns of the spinal cord, and the peripheral nerves.

> [13]

> >

> > The studies on gluten ataxia have revealed a significant

> statistic. In

> > patients who had clearly measurable antibodies that are

diagnostic

> of celiac

> > disease and were suffering from gluten ataxia, only 13% had any

> gastrointestinal

> > complaints. In other words, the hallmark symptoms of poor

> digestion we

> > associate with celiac disease and use to diagnose the condition

> may be absent in

> > 87% of patients with gluten related problems! [14] This suggests

> that celiac

> > may be way under diagnosed.

> >

> > Now we come to what to me is the most interesting of the recent

> research

> > regarding celiac. It seems fitting that the research again comes

> from Holland ,

> > where celiac disease was first linked to diet. Dr.

> Nieuwenhuizen, from the

> > research group TNO Nutrition and Food Research, published a

paper

> in the

> > June, 2003, Lancet. He links celiac disease with Candida

albicans.

> Dr.

> > Nieuwenhuizen, knowing the actual sequence of proteins which

> trigger celiac disease

> > from the published work of other scientists, had searched the

> databases

> > available to him through TNO to see if the same sequence existed

> in other places.

> > It turns out the identical sequence of proteins occur in the

cell

> walls of

> > Candida albicans. [15]

> >

> > These Candida gluten-like proteins turn out to be the yeast's

> > " hypha-specific surface protein " nicknamed Hwp1. This is the

> yeast's version of Velcro and

> > allows it to attach and hang onto the endomysium in the wall of

> the

> > intestine. It is also targeted by transglutaminase, the enzyme

> which acts on the

> > gluten protein and serves as a target for immune antibodies.

> Candida species

> > which don't have this Hwp1 protein can't attach themselves to

the

> digestive

> > tract. [16]

> >

> > If Candida can trigger the same chemical and immunological

> reactions as

> > wheat gluten do we can imagine a number of interesting

> implications.

> > First, in people with celiac disease, symptoms usually get

better

> rapidly

> > when they eliminate gluten from their diet. This isn't always

the

> case. Even

> > without gluten some people continue to have symptoms. They may

have

> > intestinal Candidiasis. The Candida in their gut may be acting

> like gluten and

> > continues triggering symptoms.

> > Second, an acute Candida infection may trigger the onset of

celiac

> disease.

> > Even if the Candida is treated and eliminated, the person could

be

> left with

> > a permanent sensitivity to wheat gluten. Candida infections

occur

> frequently

> > with antibiotic usage. In people genetically susceptible to

> celiac, extra

> > caution should be exercised when using antibiotics to prevent

> Candida

> > overgrowth.

> > Third, if wheat can cause neurological damage as in gluten

ataxia,

> it is

> > reasonable to assume that Candida could also do so by the same

> process. Reports

> > of Candida infections causing neurological symptoms are not

> uncommon; now we

> > have a possible explanation.

> > Fourth, if only a small portion of the people with gluten ataxia

> have

> > gastrointestinal symptoms despite their severe damage elsewhere

in

> their bodies, it

> > is reasonable to assume that Candida could stimulate significant

> problems

> > while producing slight or no digestive symptoms.

> >

> > So what does all this mean? Here's my bottom line:

> > Celiac disease may be grossly under diagnosed. It should be

ruled

> out in any

> > chronic digestive condition even if the symptoms don't fit the

> classic

> > picture. Celiac disease should also be ruled out in osteoporosis

> and in

> > neurological problems, especially MS. Celiac disease should also

> be ruled out in

> > Hashimoto's Disease and other thyroid abnormalities. Whenever

> Celiac disease is

> > diagnosed, Candida infections should be tested for and treated

> aggressively.

> > People of Irish descent are far more likely to get celiac

disease

> than

> > others and should be extra cautious to avoid Candida infections

> and treat them

> > aggressively if they occur.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > References:

> > 1. Merck Manual, Seventeenth Edition

> > 2. Thaysen T, Non-Tropical Sprue. Copenhqagen, Levin and

> Munsgaard. 1932.

> > 3. Dicke, W. Coeliac Disease: Investigation of harmful effects

of

> certain

> > types of cereal on patients with celiac disease. Doctoral

Thesis,

> University

> > of Utrecht . Netherlands , 1950.

> > 4. Van de Kramer, Weijers, Dicke. Coeliac Disease. IV. An

> investigation

> > into the injurious constituents of wheat in connection with

their

> action on

> > pateinets with celiac disease. Acta Paediat. 42.223, 1953

> > 5. Counsell et al. Coeliac disease and autoimmune thyroid

> disease. Gut

> > 1994;35: 844-846

> > 6. Collin et al. Autoimmune thyroid disorders and coeliac

> disease. European

> > Journal of Endocrinology 1994;130:137- Col

> > 7. Freeman H. Deliac associated autoimmune thyroid disease: A

> study of 16

> > patients with overt hypothyroidism. 1995; July/Aug: 9(5): 242-

> > 8. Nat Med. 1997 Jul;3(7):797- Identification of tissue

> transglutaminase as

> > the autoantigen of celiac disease.

> > Dieterich W, Ehnis T, Bauer M, Donner P, Volta U, Riecken EO,

> Schuppan D.

> > 9. Brain. 2001 May;124(Pt 5):1013-9. Sporadic cerebellar ataxia

> associated

> > with gluten sensitivity.

> > Burk K, Bosch S, Muller CA, Melms A, Zuhlke C, Stern M,

Besenthal

> I, Skalej

> > M, Ruck P, Ferber S, Klockgether T, Dichgans J

> > 10. Neurology. 2002 Apr 23;58(8):1221- Neurology. 2002 Apr

> > 23;58(8):1221-<WBR>6The humoral response in the pathogenesis of

> gluten ataxia.

> > Hadjivassiliou M, Boscolo S, Davies- GA, Grunewald RA, Not

T,

> DS, Simpson JE

> > 11. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2003 Sep;74(9):1221-

> > Dietary treatment of gluten ataxia. Hadjivassiliou M, Davies-

> GA,

> > DS, Grunewald RA.

> > 12. Neurol Sci. 2001 Nov;22 Suppl 2:S117-22

> > Neurological manifestations of gastrointestinal disorders, with

> particular

> > reference to the differential diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.

> Ghezzi A,

> > Zaffaroni M.

> > 13. Lancet. 1998 Nov 14;352(9140) 13. Lancet. 1998 Nov 14;352(914

> > neurophysiological, and neuropathological characteristics of

> gluten ataxia.

> > Hadjivassiliou M, Grunewald RA, Chattopadhyay AK, Davies-

GA,

> Gibson A, Jarratt JA,

> > Kandler RH, Lobo A, T, CM.

> > 14. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2003 Sep;74(9):1221- 14. J Neu

> treatment

> > of gluten ataxia. Hadjivassiliou M, Davies- GA, DS,

> Grunewald

> > RA.

> > 15. Lancet. 2003 Jun 21;361(9375) Lancet. Is Candida albicans

> a trigger

> > in the onset of coeliac disease?

> > Nieuwenhuizen WF, Pieters RH, Knippels LM, Jansen MC, Koppelman

> SJ.

> > 16. Science. 1999 Mar 5;283(5407): Scienc Adhesive and

> mammalian

> > transglutaminase substrate properties of Candida albicans Hwp1.

> Staab JF, Bradway

> > SD, Fidel PL, Sundstrom P.

> >

> >

> >

> > ____________ ________ ________ _____

> > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with

Mobile.

> _Try it

> > now._

> >

>

(_http://us.rd.http://us.http://us.http://us.rd.<Whttp://us.http://us.

r_

>

)

> i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9i62sR8HDtD

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ************ ************<WBR>**Create a Home Theater Like the

> on AOL

> > Home.

> >

(_http://home.http://home.http://home.<WBRhttp://home.<Whttp://ho_

> (http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?)

> ncid=aolhom00030000ncid=ao

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> **************Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel

Guides.

> (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?

ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)

>