RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: I cant seem to get smooth kefir

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Patty,

Thanks I needed to know if I was doing it right. Its safe to drink setting out like that is what is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your input on Kefir.

Love ya,

In a message dated 1/31/2008 11:56:40 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, glory2glory1401@... writes:

,My kefir comes out like a textured yogurt. It is smooth, but it is definitely sour. Fermented foods are generally a bit on the sour side. Some kefir even gets a little effervescent as it ferments.It just takes a little practice, but soon you'll be making great kefir!Here is what I do:I use about 1 small Tablespoon of grains per quart of milk. You definitely don't want too many grains, or else it will ferment really fast and you will get a separation of the curds and whey very quickly.I divide my grains every so often so that I have about a Tablespoon that I am working with. Sometimes I go down to making a pint of kefir a day, rather than a quart. I'll adjust the size of the grain downward accordingly.So, I put one tablespoon-sized chunk of kefir grains in my pint or quart of milk, using a glass jar with a plastic lid. I set it on the counter for about 24 hours. I slightly swirl the milk and grains once or twice during the 24 hours, usually early in the process, to make sure the bacteria are evenly distributed.I check the kefir after 24 hours by tilting the jar to the side. When I see the kefir all move away from the side of the jar in one clump, then I know it is ready. It usually has a smooth sheen to it.Then I dump the kefir into a large-holed strainer set over my glass Pyrex 4 cup measuring cup. I jiggle the strainer until all of the kefir is through the holes and into the cup, and all that is left in the strainer is the grains. I put those grains back into the jar with milk and start the process over again. The strained kefir goes into the fridge.I hope that helps!Patty>> Girls,> Rogene I could not find that web site for kefir.> > Does anyone know how to make smooth kefir. I need these probiotics please. > The way I am doing it its turning out sour it that safe to drink?> > Great cook just not a kefir lady!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL> > > > > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489> Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.