RemedySpot.com

Medical Breakthroughs First to Know Bulletin for March 17, 2008

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Carolyn . . . The vets fought for years to get their illnesses acknowledged! . . Rogene========================================

Couple of good articles if you will click on the links...Especially see the one about veterans of the Persian Gulf War ---1990-91... Does these illnesses not sound familiar??? Why can't implant survivors be included in such a study --and the results compared with those of this study of veterans???Carolyn-----Inline Message Follows-----First to Know Bulletin Reported by Ivanhoe Broadcast News

Letter fromthe PresidentMarch 17, 2008

Happy St. ’s Day!

Bette BonFleur, co-founder of Ivanhoe and its principal medical producer for many years, passed on some interesting advice to me the other day. She strongly suggested that anyone who’s interested in a good review of healthcare and nutrition products should buy a subscription to Consumer Lab’s newsletter. They publish results of their independent product tests and help consumers and healthcare professionals evaluate health, wellness, and nutrition products. Bette said it is one of the most trustworthy sources of unbiased views and reviews she’s found and worth the $30 a year subscription fee, as it also helps you steer clear of buying products that don’t live up to their claims. You can find the Consumer Lab website at: www.consumerlab.com.

Our stories this week start with a report that the sixty-five million Americans who have back or leg pain will want to check out. Read about the new TFAS device for relieving chronic back and leg pain which allows more movement than traditional rigid spinal fusion surgery. Dr. Castellvi has done 15 of the 150 TFAS surgeries that have been done worldwide, with excellent results. We have news from NYU Medical Center and the University of Central Florida on a new vaccine and a stem cell approach to treating Alzheimer’s disease, both of which look promising. Make sure you also see our story from UCLA on irritable bowel syndrome, and why the pain it generates may literally be in one’s head. Dr. Emeran Mayer emphasizes that IBS is not just a psychological condition – that there is a strong brain-gut component, and that there are ways to re-train the brain to decrease the volume of the pain.

Re-training the brain may come in useful in another way as well. In a recent Harvard study, depression is costing companies $90 billion a year, and is twice as common in working women than men. It’s not a surprise to many of us that it’s the women with high intelligence who are more susceptible. Read the story to find out what the experts suggest for coping with this problem that affects one in five people in the workplace, and one in three managers. Make sure you see our In-Depth Doctor’s Interview with Kim Manwaring, M.D., who is using a micro needle he invented for electrosurgery. He says this tiny needle optimizes the healing process with less blood and less

tissue injury, and that he’s “truly astounded at how good, how exceptional, how surprising an outcome can be when a child has a devastating injury.” We have a very graphic surgery video of this procedure for those of you who want to see it. www.ivanhoe.com/surgery And if you thought getting an annual check-up is what you’re supposed to do, you’ll want to read our story on the debate about how often we should be going in for physical check-ups. It may not be annually!

In case you missed them, you may want to check our past reports, Stopping Alzheimer's in its Tracks or Ibuprofen Risks for Osteoarthritis Patients Premium Content in the Archives may be purchased for as little as $9 for 24-hour, unlimited access. If you would like to access Premium Content for the first time click here.

Finally, In case you didn't know, we have 12 videos on our science site every month. Click here to get to the page and then click on "Watch Report" under each story. And in terms of enjoying St. ’s Day today – after a summer of riding with Ursula in Waterford, Ireland as a young college graduate, I have to celebrate St 's Day...but these days I’m more moderate in my celebrating, and hope you are as well!!

And there's more where that came from...

Marjorie Bekaert

President, Ivanhoe Broadcast News

"What you need is sustained outrage… There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority."-- Molly Ivins

Also In This Issue...

Diagnostic Blood Test for Parkinson’s?

Genetic Markers for Lung Cancer Found

Side Effect Discovered with New Painkillers

Health Problems in Persian Gulf War Vets

Secondhand Smoke Affects Toddlers Most

Submit Story Ideas!E-mail us atnewsalert@...Has this site impacted your life or the life of someone you know?E-mail us atmthomas@...What do you think about Ivanhoe?E-mail us atwebdoctor@...

Feedback...

Ivanhoe is AWESOME!!!!

WOW! Your staff is terrific! The articles are timely and right on top of all the latest research. I have shared many of your articles with colleagues, and everyone is always impressed with what I send them from your email newsletter.by: M. Vazquez, RNClick here to read more!!

Do you want to be a part of the Ivanhoe news network?

We are interested in learning of the latest science-related research and discoveries, including astronomy, chemistry, computer and earth science, engineering, optics and physics.

Please e-mail Marsha Hitchcock, News Director, at mhitchcock@....

To stop receiving the First to Know Bulletin, click hereand unsubscribe your e-mail address.What's New | Search/Archives | Ivanhoe FAQE-mail Medical Alerts! | Our TV Partners | Awards | Useful Links | Play It Again, Please

Contents © 1995-2008 Ivanhoe Broadcast News, Inc.

No part of this newsletter may be reproduced without permission.

First to Know Bulletin Reported by Ivanhoe Broadcast News

Finally, In case you didn't know, we have 12 videos on our science site every month. Click here to get to the page and then click on "Watch Report" under each story. And in terms of enjoying St. ’s Day today – after a summer of riding with Ursula in Waterford, Ireland as a young college graduate, I have to celebrate St 's Day...but these days I’m more moderate in my celebrating, and hope you are as well!!

And there's more where that came from...

Marjorie Bekaert

President, Ivanhoe Broadcast News

"What you need is sustained outrage… There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority."-- Molly Ivins

Diagnostic Blood Test for Parkinson’s?

Genetic Markers for Lung Cancer Found

Side Effect Discovered with New Painkillers

Health Problems in Persian Gulf War Vets

Secondhand Smoke Affects Toddlers Most

Submit Story Ideas!E-mail us atnewsalert@...Has this site impacted your life or the life of someone you know?E-mail us atmthomas@...What do you think about Ivanhoe?E-mail us atwebdoctor@...

Feedback...

Ivanhoe is AWESOME!!!!

WOW! Your staff is terrific! The articles are timely and right on top of all the latest research. I have shared many of your articles with colleagues, and everyone is always impressed with what I send them from your email newsletter.by: M. Vazquez, RNClick here to read more!!

Do you want to be a part of the Ivanhoe news network?

We are interested in learning of the latest science-related research and discoveries, including astronomy, chemistry, computer and earth science, engineering, optics and physics.

Please e-mail Marsha Hitchcock, News Director, at mhitchcock@....

To stop receiving the First to Know Bulletin, click hereand unsubscribe your e-mail address.What's New | Search/Archives | Ivanhoe FAQE-mail Medical Alerts! | Our TV Partners | Awards | Useful Links | Play It Again, Please

Contents © 1995-2008 Ivanhoe Broadcast News, Inc.

No part of this newsletter may be reproduced without permission.