RemedySpot.com

Re: Wal-Mart to Pull Bottles Made With Chemical BPA ... Washington Post April 18, 2008

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Rogene, honey, what about all of my Tupperware? I hate to throw it all away, but I will, if it is not safe. This should never have happened.

We hope that you are feeling better, and not doing too much.

Love you always....Lea

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

Wal-Mart to Pull Bottles Made With Chemical BPA ... Washington Post April 18, 2008

If they know this is dangerous, why wait until next year? .. . Duh?????

Wal-Mart to Pull Bottles Made With Chemical BPA

By Ylan Q. MuiWashington Post Staff WriterFriday, April 18, 2008; D01

Wal-Mart will stop selling baby bottles made with the controversial chemical bisphenol A in its U.S. stores early next year, a spokesman said yesterday.

The world's largest retailer had announced Wednesday that it was immediately halting sales of baby bottles, sippy cups, pacifiers, food containers and water bottles made with BPA in its Canadian stores amid speculation that the country's health department would soon declare the chemical unsafe.

The moves follow Monday's release of a draft report from the U.S. National Toxicology Program that expressed concern that BPA, which is used to make plastic, could cause behavioral changes in infants and children and trigger the early onset of puberty in females. The report also said more study should be done.

"Major retailers can be a force in effecting positive change," said Mike Schade of the Center for Health, Environment and Justice, an environmental advocacy group, which has lobbied against the use of BPA. "Parents shouldn't have to roll the dice with their children's health at the checkout aisle."

Wal-Mart has sold BPA-free baby bottles for several years alongside bottles with the chemical. But yesterday was the first time the retailer indicated it would convert its entire U.S. stock.

"We are working hard to expand our BPA-free offerings," Wal-Mart spokesman Nick Agarwal wrote in an e-mail.

Spurred by customer demand, other retailers are also stocking products made without the chemical. A spokeswoman for Target said the chain began testing glass baby bottles in its stores in January and offering them online in February. Babies R Us said its sales of glass bottles have increased fivefold since last spring. It began selling the popular BornFree glass and BPA-free bottles in stores in November.

The American Chemistry Council, an industry group, said yesterday that recent media reports are "unnecessarily confusing and frightening the public." It said the Food and Drug Administration recognizes plastics made with BPA as safe and asked the FDA to update its review to better inform consumers.

Guest guest

Lea,I'm doing really well . . . I'm back to "myself" . . . I have to work at getting physically fit because I've spent too much time being sedentary . . . but that will come. . . Yard work has a way of getting one in shape!I don't heat anything other than coffee in the microwave . . . I would never warm foods in a Tupperware container. Over time, we've gradually given up the plastic habit. . . The only plastic we use are those containers that come with some of the products we buy . . . like mustard. I cook virtually everything from scratch . . . I try to prepare enough for a couple meals at a time so I'm not glued to the kitchen. I just gradually phased into it, until the only time

I notice the difference is when I look in someone else's grocery basket and see all the junk they're buying. . . or when friends come over and they start talking about food.Rogene