RemedySpot.com

Fw: NOW THEY TELL US: Chemical in plastic baby bottles poses risks ... Chicago Tribune April 15, 2008

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Chicago Tribune April 15, 2008

Chemical in plastic

baby bottles poses risks

NOW THEY TELL US

Three years ago, like

millions of new mothers, I used shatterproof Avent polycarbonate baby bottles. At the time, it never

dawned on me that baby bottles, of all things, would leach a chemical called

bisphenol A (BPA) into the breast milk. I never suspected that when my day care

provider heated the bottle and accidentally melted the top, that even more BPA

would be released. And I never dreamed the federal government would find that exposure to this chemical poses a health risk, especially to

fetuses, infants and children. But that was the

disturbing conclusion of a draft report released today by the

National Toxicology Program, which said the ubiquitous chemical used to make

plastic may be linked to breast cancer, prostate cancer and early puberty in

girls. There is "some

concern for neural and behavioral effects in fetuses, infants and children at

current human exposures," the NTP concluded. It's the first time the

federal government has raised concerns about BPA, which is found in everything

from shatterproof baby bottles, sports water bottles and dental sealants. BPA

is also found in the linings of some cans of baby formula, so formula fed

babies are at risk for double exposure. So what am I supposed to

do now? Even the most renowned

BPA researchers don't know what to tell me. "Try not to worry," said

Fred vom Saal, who has been sounding the alarm about the dangers of BPA for

years. That's hardly

comforting. The reality is that for my son, it's too late; I can't undo any

potential damage. But if you're an expectant mom or the parent of an infant,

you do have some options, because retailers and manufacturers are beginning to

respond to emerging science. For starters, USE GLASS BABY BOTTLES

or find brands labeled BPA-free. I used Evenflow glass bottles with my second

son, even though people called me paranoid.

Secondly, shop at ENLIGHTENED

RETAILERS. Canada 's

largest outdoor goods retailer

Mountain Equipment Co-op and Patagonia have already pulled food and drink containers containing the chemical from the

shelves. Lululemon announced it won't sell hard plastic water bottles

containing BPA.

And finally, CHECK

PRODUCT LINES. CamelBak (left) has transitioned

their complete line of re-usable water bottles to a new No. 7 plastic material

that is 100 percent BPA-free. (No. 7 usually means polycarbonate). The

change-over will be complete by the end of the month, according to a news release. And Nalgene offers six

BPA-free bottles, four of which have been in the Nalgene family of products for

decades. Like CamelBak's products, The Everyday bottle line is made from

Eastman Tritan copolyester plastic and includes OTG ("On the Go"),

the iconic 32-ounce Wide Mouth, and the Grip-N-Gulp sippy cup.

Here's more on bisphenol A.

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG.

Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.0/1381 - Release Date: 4/16/2008 9:34 AM

Guest guest

doesn't it make you wonder tho, what else may be in plastic that is going to be proven to be toxic? I noticed a lot of people drink the kifir for probiotics - i hesitated to buy it because of the soft plastic - but who knows about the hard plastic either? you can't win. and glass is evermore being phased out - back in the 50's milk, catsup and a lot of things came in glass. I'm even wondering when they're going to put baby food in plastic jars - I'm surprised they haven't yet, but I bet its the next thing. baby bottles used to be all glass.doe

Fw: NOW THEY TELL US: Chemical in plastic baby bottles poses risks ... Chicago Tribune April 15, 2008

Chicago Tribune April 15, 2008Chemical in plastic baby bottles poses risksNOW THEY TELL USThree years ago, like millions of new mothers, I used shatterproof Avent polycarbonate baby bottles.

At the time, it never dawned on me that baby bottles, of all things, would leach a chemical called bisphenol A (BPA) into the breast milk. I never suspected that when my day care provider heated the bottle and accidentally melted the top, that even more BPA would be released.

And I never dreamed the federal government would find that exposure to this chemical poses a health risk, especially to fetuses, infants and children.

But that was the disturbing conclusion of a draft report released today by the National Toxicology Program, which said the ubiquitous chemical used to make plastic may be linked to breast cancer, prostate cancer and early puberty in girls.

There is "some concern for neural and behavioral effects in fetuses, infants and children at current human exposures," the NTP concluded.

It's the first time the federal government has raised concerns about BPA, which is found in everything from shatterproof baby bottles, sports water bottles and dental sealants. BPA is also found in the linings of some cans of baby formula, so formula fed babies are at risk for double exposure.

So what am I supposed to do now?

Even the most renowned BPA researchers don't know what to tell me. "Try not to worry," said Fred vom Saal, who has been sounding the alarm about the dangers of BPA for years.

That's hardly comforting. The reality is that for my son, it's too late; I can't undo any potential damage. But if you're an expectant mom or the parent of an infant, you do have some options, because retailers and manufacturers are beginning to respond to emerging science.

For starters, USE GLASS BABY BOTTLES or find brands labeled BPA-free. I used Evenflow glass bottles with my second son, even though people called me paranoid. Secondly, shop at ENLIGHTENED RETAILERS. Canada 's largest outdoor goods retailer Mountain Equipment Co-op and Patagonia have already pulled food and drink containers containing the chemical from the shelves. Lululemon announced it won't sell hard plastic water bottles containing BPA.And finally, CHECK PRODUCT LINES. CamelBak (left) has transitioned their complete line of re-usable water bottles to a new No. 7 plastic material that is 100 percent BPA-free. (No. 7 usually means polycarbonate). The change-over will be complete by the end of the month, according to a news release.

And Nalgene offers six BPA-free bottles, four of which have been in the Nalgene family of products for decades. Like CamelBak's products, The Everyday bottle line is made from Eastman Tritan copolyester plastic and includes OTG ("On the Go"), the iconic 32-ounce Wide Mouth, and the Grip-N-Gulp sippy cup. Here's more on bisphenol A.

No virus found in this outgoing message.Checked by AVG.Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.0/1381 - Release Date: 4/16/2008 9:34 AM

Guest guest

I'm not saying plastics are safe . . . But I think there is major reason to be concerned about foods that are heated in the plastic containers. . . Like baby bottles . .. or water bottles exposed to heat in the car or sun. I don't remember there being any Autistic, or learning disabled kids when I was growing up . .. Just one kid who was mean! . . . Everybody learned, or stayed back a grade. . . No special ed classes . .. I'm not saying that was good . . . just that the need wasn't there like it is today.Rogene