RemedySpot.com

Re: Phthalate (BPA)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

at the bottom of this it says Packaging, caution,

contains treated silica avoid breathing dust, I made it red , http://yukonmom47.tripod.com/id42.html

Search:

The Web

Tripod

Report Abuse « Previous | Top 100 | Next »

share: del.icio.us | digg | reddit | furl | facebook

Implant Veterans of Toxic Exposure

Cab-O-Sil

Home

Congressional Report

AMT-1

AMT Audit

Fly-In

ASPRS Survey

Bell & Pointer

BI Capsules

BI Chemicals

BI Numbers - Dow

Burson-Marsteller

B-M's Spokesdoctors

Dr. Pierre Blais

Burson - NEW

Cab-O-Sil

CANDO

Capsules

Chemical Adverse

ChemBMS

Children

Connie Chung

CRS_safety

Dowknew1

Dowknew2

Dowknew3

Dowknew4

Dow Bleed

Dow Disease

Dow Fraud

Dow Migration

Dow Rupture

DC Whines

Dr.

Explant

Gagged

Gel Reaction

Bell

Hancock

Harvard-Brigham

HAD

Inflammation

Judge Transcript

Kessler

Latissimus

land Informed

McKennon

McGhan-Shells

Poem to Congress

No Evidence

Cole

Norman Cole

Notable People

Scleroderma

SS

Study-Adjuvant

Study-Adjuvant-FDA

Study-Dogs

Study NY

Study-Tissue Reaction

Talcott

Ultra Sound

Links

Manufacturers' Legal Documents

CAB100170330

THE PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY

UNIVERSITY PARK, PENNSYLVANIA 16802

MATERIALS RESEARCH LABORATORY TELEPHONE (814) 865-1107

August 27, 1979

G. Pepin

207 Materials Research Lab

Penn State University

University Park, PA 16802

Dear Sir,

Recently we received two free samples of Cab-O-Sil, grade M-5. In both samples, the packaging was so poor that the lid had come off the plastic cask and emptied a substantial amount of fumed silica into the surrounding box. This resulted in leakage of fumed silica into postal bags and made a general, and dangerous mess. One of our secretaries, not knowing any better, emptied a sack and spewed Cab-O-Sil around our mail room causing herself and others to breathe a substantial quantity of fumed silica. The secretary, Mrs. Ellen Burr, went into a convulsive coughing fit and may possibly have suffered injuries to her lungs.

Our health physics department has been notified and the rest of the Materials Science Department warned of the dangers of the packaging of Cab-O-Sil. I for one know I won’t be dealing with Cab-O-Sil any more.

Signed by G. Pepin

AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY UNIVERSITY

CAB100170346

INTEROFFICE CORRESPONDENCE

CABOT CORPORATION

PO BOX 165, TUSCOLA, ILLINOIS 61953

JULY 25, 1983

TO: Don Rivin

SUBJECT: Toxigenics Report on Study 420-1171

Dear Don,

This is a follow up to our telephone discussion of today on the above report which we have received recently. A copy of the report without the very extensive Appendix Section is enclosed for your perusal. Dr. McCunney, Boston office, has a complete copy of the report.

The report indicated that after 4 weeks exposure of the rats to CAB-O-SIL® N70-TS hydrophobic fumed silica at a level of 30 mg/m3 there is damage to the lung tissue of the rats. After 6 and 12 week recovery periods, there does appear to be some healing of the tissue. Toxigenics personnel indicated no evidence of silicosis in the tissue, however, the exposure of the animal to the hydrophobic silica will eventually result in some loss of lung capacity through the resultant scarring in areas affected by the silica.

I would be interested in your comments on the study and the text of the warning notice with which we will advise our existing and future customers of these new test results. I will send you a copy of the latter tomorrow. I would appreciate a reply on this matter by the end of the week if possible.

Also, for your information, I have enclosed copies of translations of two inhalation studies carried out on the competitive hydrophobic fumed silicas, Degussa R972 and Wacker-Chemie H20, by a Dr. Klosterkotter. At this time, we are planning quite a lot of development work in the Pilot Plant in 1984 on treated fumed silica, one of which will be a match for Degussa R972. Obviously, I want to make sure that we take whatever steps necessary to properly protect our people during these experiments. I look forward to your comments with interest.

Many thanks for your help in these matters.

Yours sincerely,

Signed:

HC/mc

Cc: RJMcCunney

D

PFTroiano

Gpaci

CAB100170364

HANDWRITTEN NOTES

HC 1/13/84

NOTES ON MCCUNNEY/GREG VISIT TO TUSCOLA JAN 11 84

Backgrounds

Dr. McCunney Medical Director of Health – Cabot Corp.

Reports to R. Champie

BSc Chem Eng – Drexel Univ

MSc – Univ of Minnesota

MD – Northwestern Univ

Occupational Health/Medicine – Harvard Univ

Aug 1983 joined Cabot 50% time

50% Goddard Memorial Hospital, Staughton, Mass

341-0700

Runs program on Occupational Health

Set up programs for ~100 companies

Dr. Grey reports to Don Rivin

BSc Science/Administration –

2 years ROTC commission – Chem Corp/Health Physics

5 years Aerojet General in late 60’s – Industrial Hygiene (Sacramento)

1967-72 Industrial Hygiene/Toxicology – University Cincinnati

MSc Industrial Hygiene – theses solvent evaporation

PhD Environmental Health – thesis “Characteristics of Cascade Impacter Collecterâ€

1972-74 Northwestern University

Trained MDs in Environmental Health

1974 – Los Alamos – Aerosol Research NIOSH/OSHA

Olin Corp – New Haven – Mgr Indust Hygiene

Had 5 hygienists working for him

1983 – Univ of New Haven

McCunney/Grey visit

McCunney initial comments on Klosterkotter studies on R972 & H20.

1. Feels no toxic effects rats died from dust overloading lung system i.e. physical effect (obstruction). Reduces lung efficiency – animal becomes more open to lung infections.

Effect of dust particles on lung tissue – inflammation → macrophages → fibrosis →air sacs become hardened – lose efficiency.

HC Question. If lung gets more and more hardened scarred tissue – does lung capacity increase again in time as new tissue formed – McCunney not sure

General Comments on Tour – D side/Pilot Plant/

1BC baggine area – clean

NTOTS Production – protection procedures sound good

Gave health safety – MSDS sheets NTOTS, COS, COGIIG – both

ACTION Next meeting, tentative Wed 8 Feb, HC confirm

McCunney will

1. Review article on Oregon study

2. Locate other industrial studies on animals showing death from obstructive means

3. Conduct a medical survey for X stalline (sic) silica

– he feels this is worst case situation

** 4. Review of hydrophobic silica studies – Dugussa

– brochure refs – Barbara

NB/ Don Rivin wants Grey to become involved with things such as SASSI

CAB100170380

Study No. 420-1171

Interim Pathology Report

Histopathology _ VC-II and T-IV groups

As detailed in the attached individual animal reports, the primary effect of the test article was limited to the lung. All of the T-IV rats regardless of sex had a moderate to very severe chronic alveolar/interstitial consolidative lesion usually diffuse in distribution. Elements of this lesion suggested an active process; namely the occurrence of alveolar foam cells, a protein rich alveolar transudate, and an interstitial edema with prominent interstitial macrophages.

Generally lesions present in the VC-II rats and the tissues other than the lung of the T-IV rats were typical of spontaneous and expected lesions of this species and strain at this age. These lesions were not compound related.

Signed: V. Becker DVM 5-11-83

TOXIGENICS

A Subsidiary of Whittaker Corporation

CAB100170997

PPG INDUSTRIES, INC./ONE GATEWAY CENTER/PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA 15222

October 10, 1980

Mr. L.J. Faenza

Cabot Corporation

125 High Street

Boston, MA 02110

Dear Lou:

Realizing that you are on jury duty and probably will not see this letter for some time, I will be patient for your reply.

In your letter to me of September 25 you stated your opposition to the 2mg/m3 TWA for BAA silica dust given in the second draft Silica Standard. This was brought up during our meeting on October 7 and it was agreed that we would substitute in the third draft any value you suggested and were able to justify on the basis of feasibility. I would recommend that the justification be as complete as possible so that those reading the standard or investigating its basis would be convinced of the practical impossibility of going lower than your recommended TWA.

I would like to add to this my plea for some documentation from Cabot regarding human safety given a history of exposure to given levels of BAA silica dust. This need not be more than a memo report which could be filed. Such information would serve to negate the NIOSH results and support your recommended TWA.

Let me know if you want any further discussion of this.

Best regards.

Cordially,

[signed Don]

D.D. Dunnom

Chairman

ASTM E-34 T.G. 16

DDD/jg

CAB100170997

CABOT CORPORATION 125 High Street, Boston, MA 02110

TEL: 617-423-6000

October 22, 1980

Mr. D. Dunnom

Supervisor, Health and Safety Services

PPG Industries, INC

1 Gateway Center

Pittsburgh, PA 15222

Dear Don:

Since I am fortunate enough to have an extremely and efficient secretary, I’m getting my mail at home so that I can handle the various affairs of state while on jury duty. So—I’m able to respond to your letter of October 10th.

Unfortunately, Don, we don’t have much in terms of data relative to human safety which I could submit to substantiate our opinion for a higher TTLV for Cab-o-Sil. We do have a 20 year X-ray history file which shows no pulmonary disease manifested in workers exposed to fairly high concentrations of dust over this period of time. However, because of various legal problems, we have always hesitated to quote from this data. The only other documentation we have is this study which Aranyl did, but these findings, as you know, are not that conclusive. Besides, they don’t do much to prove anything on humans, per se. I’ll have to give this more thought.

In any event, it seems to me that it ought to be fairly obvious to anyone, including NIOSH, that it is damn near impossible to maintain dust levels of our material, or any material of similar particle dimension for that matter. At 2 mg/m3 under anything but a virtually sterile atmosphere. Anyway, I’ll get back to you on this with something.

Regards.

[signed Lou]

Louis J Faenza

LJF:sr

p.s. Have you heard anything further from Schleyer on the proposal for the “Silica Association�

CAB100180069

Interoffice correspondence

cabot corporation

p.o. Box 188, Tuscola, ILlinois 61953

july 26, 1983

to: don rivin

sugject: cab-o-sil® n70-ts fumed silica

Dear Don:

As I mentioned in my letter of July 25, in light of the new data given in Toxigenics Study 420-1171 we need to change the warning statements on our packaging and literature concerning the inhalation of cab-o-sil® n70-ts hydrophobic fumed silica. Drafts of the new statements are included with this letter.

I would appreciate your comments on them with any suggested changes as soon as possible.

Many thanks,

(Signed: )

HC/mc

Enclosures

CC: RJMcCunney

GPaci

D

PFTroiano

CAB100180070

cab-o-sil® n70-ts fumed silica

health safety statements

Packaging:

caution

contains treated silica

avoid breathing dust

Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.

Guest guest

Rogene, we always put the implants and the capsules into a box (they are usually in a plastic sealed pail, often in Formaldehyde). We pack paper around the pail very tightly, put it in a cardboard box, and then wrap the box in brown paper. Most women take their packaged implants to a Fedex office to send them away. Just put the name and address (for example, Dr. Blais's company name, Innoval, and his full address) on the box, as well as the lady's return address....nothing else.

Dr. Pierre Blais

Innoval

496 Westminster Avenue

Ottawa, ON, K2A 2V1

Love always.......Lea

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~````

Phthalate (BPA)

Can anyone help a silent sister with this information? Does anyone know anything about implant packaging?-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rogene

All Implant Documents that mention Phthalate (BPA)

We need to find out how they were packaged (in what) and shipped?

No virus found in this outgoing message.Checked by AVG.Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.8/1412 - Release Date: 5/2/2008 4:34 PM

Guest guest

Thanks Lea . . . I think she was wondering if new implants were packaged in materials that contained BPA . . . But, as I understand it, she's now in communication with Dr. Blais personally!Thanks so much!Love,Rogene Phthalate (BPA)

Can anyone help a silent sister with this information? Does anyone know anything about implant packaging?------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -------

Rogene

All Implant Documents that mention Phthalate (BPA)

We need to find out how they were packaged (in what) and shipped?

No virus found in this outgoing message.Checked by AVG.Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.8/1412 - Release Date: 5/2/2008 4:34 PM