RemedySpot.com

Re: SANDY Your Brain on Gluten

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Wow, this really hits close to home! I did have that testing, and I do have the genes. I also have gotten those symptoms of crawly feelings. Sandy, I'm thinking of you and your knees on this one! Have you ever gone totally gluten free? If not, you have got to do this, if only to see if this answers your questions! Patty --- In , "perfecthealth68"wrote:This is interesting...gluten can actually cause UBO's (unidentifiedbright objects) on the brain that show up in MRI scans. It can alsocause "pins and needles" or "crawly-like" feelings all over thebody...something a lot of us struggle with. - PHYour brain on gluten: Should you lay off the gluten before it's

toolate?[http://bp3.blogger.com/_oSrs_NcPb_U/R3Wx-45J9DI/AAAAAAAAAbA/SBKb_1H37ws\/s200/+food+doc+logo+1+inch+wide.jpg]45J9DI/AAAAAAAAAbA/SBKb_1H37ws\/s1600-h/+food+doc+logo+1+inch+wide.jpg>[http://bp3.blogger.com/_oSrs_NcPb_U/R3Wxt45J9CI/AAAAAAAAAa4/nbuFcknRYwQ\/s200/LEWEY+PHOTO+for+FOOD+DOC+WEBSITE.jpg]wQ\/s1600-h/LEWEY+PHOTO+for+FOOD+DOC+WEBSITE.jpg>There is reasonable evidence of neurological problems in Celiacdiseaseeven those well treated on a gluten-free diet should undergo periodicneurological screening. Peripheral neuropathy is found in almost halfofpeople with celiac disease. Previously, neurological complications inCeliac disease were reported to be as high as 36% or more than athird.Some unexplained neurological problems are present but not

recognizedbythe patient or their doctor in many patients and some have severalproblems. Unfortunately, since brain imaging is not routinely done orrecommended in those who are newly diagnosed with Celiac disease wedon't really know how high these numbers may be really be. Morestaggering is the fact that we are still learning about people whofailto meet diagnostic criteria for Celiac disease but are being found tohave gluten related neurological problems that respond to a gluten-freediet.The symptoms of neuropathy are paresthesia (numbness) or dysthesia(burning, tingling, heaviness, "pins and needles"sensation"). Many of my patients also describe hypersensitivity oftheir skin such that they do not like air blowing on them or theirchildren or spouses against their skin. Some admit to "bugcrawling" sensation on their skin, something called vermiculation inmedical terms but rarely asked about or given

much thought by mostdoctors.Odd muscle movements under the skin that some call a "bag ofworms" medically known as fasiculations are also very common butdismissed by many doctors. My wife, a physician with Celiac disease,actually had these occur while undergoing an EMG (electromyleograph,recording of muscle activity by placing needle electrode into themuscle) exam by an older neurologist. Despite observing theseoccurringvisually and the monitor showing "static like noise" theneurologist dismissed them as "normal".Many patients with Celiac disease also have what the radiologists andneurologists call "UBO's" on MRI exams of the brain. Theseunidentified bright objects (think UFO) are white spots that show uponimages of the brain. When found in certain locations of the brain theyare highly suggestive of multiple sclerosis (multiple scarring spotsinthe brain). However, though many people with Celiac

disease have MSlikesymptoms and these symptoms often respond to a gluten free diet whenstarted early enough, the UBO's seen on MRI of the brain aretypically not in the classic areas of MS. Instead it is common to findthem in areas of the brain associated with migraines or balancedifficulty (ataxia).Personally and professionally I have observed all of the neurologicalcomplications of Celiac disease and most of them I have also noted inpatients in whom I have not been able to confirm Celiac disease butwhohave what I believe are objective signs and/or genetic risk for glutensensitivity. I have patients with MS-like symptoms, chronicunexplainedneuropathy, headaches, attention difficulties, autistic behaviors anddevelopmental delays who have responded to gluten-free diet but iftheyhad listened to doctors who maintained such a "restrictive,expensive, hard to follow" diet should only be "imposed"

onthose with a established diagnosis of Celiac disease.If you have neurological problems get testing for Celiac diseasebeforestarting a gluten-free diet. If you test negative for Celiac disease,make sure they test you for the complete HLA DQ genetics that includesthe high-risk white blood cell patterns DQ2 and DQ8 for Celiac diseaseAND get your Celiac disease blood tests include IgG and IgA gliadinantibodies. If your blood tests, including gliadin IgA and IgGantibodies, are negative or normal then consider stool testing forgliadin antibodies in the stool ($99, www.enterolab.com).The evidence continues to accumulate, though often ignored or missed,that gluten is toxic to some people's brains, even if they do nothave Celiac disease. If you do have Celiac disease it is likely youalready have neurological problems and may be at risk despite beingon agluten-free diet.Borrowing from the old

advertisement against drug abuse "this isyour brain on drugs" maybe we should be getting the word out"this is your brain on gluten". Despite your test results,consider a trial of gluten-free diet after you have your testing doneifyou have unexplained or unresponsive neurological problems. You owe toyour brain. Like my seven-year-old son said to one of our friends,"maybe you should lay off the gluten"., The Food Doc, LLC, .www.thefooddoc.com http://thefooddoc.blogspot.com/2007/12/your-brain-on-gluten-should-you-l\ay-off.htmlyou-\lay-off.html>--- End forwarded message ---

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.