RemedySpot.com

Joyous Chee: Is There a Need to Save Humanity?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

-

I was watching a Japanese anime called Vexille. It is about the year 2077 and Japan has isolated itself from the world.

Apparently, some scientists are developing robotic technology to take over humanity. Well, the story is not important here and so I am not going into the details of the plot. But what triggers the topic of this column is that the movie is about humanity trying to save itself.

I cannot help but draw a connection to other science fiction movies where the protagonists are always trying to save humanity. If not from some man-made disasters, then it is about averting some natural catastrophes like a meteorite falling on Earth, ice age, the sun burning out, or some disease wiping off mankind.

The plot may be different, but the theme is always about some heroes saving humanity. Now, my question is this: why do we need to save humanity? Are we not eternal souls, individuated aspects of God, consciousness that can create matter out of thoughts? After all, this is a most common belief of metaphysics. Why do we need to save humanity so badly?

It seems to me that the idea of saving humanity is really about the fear of death. The human species and more specifically, our human bodies are our earth space suits which we create and use to explore the physical realm of terra earth. While this beautiful planet has provided us some of the most wonderful experiences, would we not ever get bored of it eventually? It is very much like trying to achieve immortality in a human body. Why on earth would anyone want that if we can

reincarnate and play different kinds of roles or explore other realms of creation? If we are playing a computer role-playing game, do we always want to play the swordsman? Don't we want to try other roles like magician, bowman, thief or pirate? Similarly, when we are done with our human experience, we might want to discard it and move on to other experiences and explore other parts of the infinite multiverse - our grand creation of the All That Is.

It seems to me that the... To read more, click... no, not your Ruby Slippers, silly... the LINK! http://www.cosmiclighthouse.com/feb08/columns/joyouschee

-- " As a child I understood how to give; I have forgotten this grace since I became civilized. " ~Ohiyesa, Santee Sioux~