RemedySpot.com

Re: Venting about Wal-Mart

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Darlene

How horrible! So was it a customer or an employee who made him get out of it? Thats just awful and I know what you mean about the sign...I feel that way too...that they should not have to wear a tshirt! Even our friends fail to understand and think these same things...

the other night, we had our fabulous neighbor over for dinner the other night...it was an impromptu thing...and once it was bedtime, which doens't seem so huge to me, but we were putting a diaper on him...doing meds, water in the gtube, he was upset and not being reasoned with very well, we were putting the blue-pads on the bed and trying to get the autistic one (who is always bouncing off the ceiling settled down) to bed too...he slipped out and went home after peeking in and saying goodbye. I went over after we got them down and he said, he just never realized how much went into it and he was only here an hour...but it meant a lot to me to see it through his eyes.

About Friday the 13th...I am not at all superstitious but I heard on the radio today that business lose (however-many) million of dollars in lost revenue b/c of the day...less people shop, go on trips and stuff...funny though...

deb

Darlene

How horrible! So was it a customer or an employee who made him get out of it? Thats just awful and I know what you mean about the sign...I feel that way too...that they should not have to wear a tshirt! Even our friends fail to understand and think these same things...

the other night, we had our fabulous neighbor over for dinner the other night...it was an impromptu thing...and once it was bedtime, which doens't seem so huge to me, but we were putting a diaper on him...doing meds, water in the gtube, he was upset and not being reasoned with very well, we were putting the blue-pads on the bed and trying to get the autistic one (who is always bouncing off the ceiling settled down) to bed too...he slipped out and went home after peeking in and saying goodbye. I went over after we got them down and he said, he just never realized how much went into it and he was only here an hour...but it meant a lot to me to see it through his eyes.

About Friday the 13th...I am not at all superstitious but I heard on the radio today that business lose (however-many) million of dollars in lost revenue b/c of the day...less people shop, go on trips and stuff...funny though...

deb

Darlene

deb

Darlene,

I recently received a permanent handicap plaque for Cameron. I was tired of parking way out in the parking lot and getting him his tube and backpack with pump out of the car plus three other kids dragging them all over to get a cart (or worse getting his tube caught on the cart). Anyway, I only use the plaque when he is plugged into his feeding tube. He can walk by not all the way around the store and through the parking lot, he is almost two. So, I carry him most of the time. I am paranoid of what people will say, so I only use the pass when he is plugged in. But I really hate to think what will happen as he gets older. Everyone is always saying how great he looks, with an undertone of "he doesn't look sick". I am sure you know that one.

Take care,

-----Original Message-----From: Darlene Graham Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 5:33 PMTo: Mito Subject: Venting about Wal-Mart

One thing good, J.D.'s power chair was delivered this morning. He loves it!

After therapy today, I took him to Wal-Mart. We parked in the handicap place, he walked to their power chair because we do not yet have a ramp or lift for his power chair. He is 15 and he enjoys his independence by going to electronics by himself. I am with him when he gets into the power chair because we have had rude associates since they see him walking doesn't think he needs a power chair. I have learned to bite my tongue on this problem because I know some kids to play on them so I make sure I am with him then he goes on his merry way.

Well, after I looked in a couple of departments, I went to electronics because J.D. knows to stay where there so I can find him. He was standing and I could tell by his face that he was in pain. I said what happened. He said that someone from Wal-Mart told him to get out of the power chair because they needed it. I thought that I was going to explode but I kept my cool and asked for the store manager. I asked for a chair for J.D. and they had none. Thankfully, we were by the furniture department so he sat on a chair in there. A customer in line told me that he witnessed what happened and gave me his name and number plus 2 other people saw what happened and could not believe it.

After called about 10 times for a manager and about 45 minutes later, a manager showed up. They went and got another power chair for J.D. because I told him that after J.D. was made to stand and walked all the way to the front that he would most likely collapse. All the manager did was apologize. I told him this was not the first time that J.D. has been discriminated against his disability in Wal-Mart. Since I was still fuming when I got home, I called 1-800-Walmart and reported. I also told the manager that I was going to do this.

Our kids should not wear a sign. I still cannot believe it happened. Next Friday the 13th, I am staying put.

Have a great weekend!

Darlene

Please contact mito-owner with any problems or questions.

Darlene,

I recently received a permanent handicap plaque for Cameron. I was tired of parking way out in the parking lot and getting him his tube and backpack with pump out of the car plus three other kids dragging them all over to get a cart (or worse getting his tube caught on the cart). Anyway, I only use the plaque when he is plugged into his feeding tube. He can walk by not all the way around the store and through the parking lot, he is almost two. So, I carry him most of the time. I am paranoid of what people will say, so I only use the pass when he is plugged in. But I really hate to think what will happen as he gets older. Everyone is always saying how great he looks, with an undertone of "he doesn't look sick". I am sure you know that one.

Take care,

-----Original Message-----From: Darlene Graham Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 5:33 PMTo: Mito Subject: Venting about Wal-Mart

After therapy today, I took him to Wal-Mart. We parked in the handicap place, he walked to their power chair because we do not yet have a ramp or lift for his power chair. He is 15 and he enjoys his independence by going to electronics by himself. I am with him when he gets into the power chair because we have had rude associates since they see him walking doesn't think he needs a power chair. I have learned to bite my tongue on this problem because I know some kids to play on them so I make sure I am with him then he goes on his merry way.

Well, after I looked in a couple of departments, I went to electronics because J.D. knows to stay where there so I can find him. He was standing and I could tell by his face that he was in pain. I said what happened. He said that someone from Wal-Mart told him to get out of the power chair because they needed it. I thought that I was going to explode but I kept my cool and asked for the store manager. I asked for a chair for J.D. and they had none. Thankfully, we were by the furniture department so he sat on a chair in there. A customer in line told me that he witnessed what happened and gave me his name and number plus 2 other people saw what happened and could not believe it.

After called about 10 times for a manager and about 45 minutes later, a manager showed up. They went and got another power chair for J.D. because I told him that after J.D. was made to stand and walked all the way to the front that he would most likely collapse. All the manager did was apologize. I told him this was not the first time that J.D. has been discriminated against his disability in Wal-Mart. Since I was still fuming when I got home, I called 1-800-Walmart and reported. I also told the manager that I was going to do this.

Our kids should not wear a sign. I still cannot believe it happened. Next Friday the 13th, I am staying put.

Have a great weekend!

Darlene

Darlene,

Take care,

Have a great weekend!

Darlene

I guess I will on occasion hit the nasty remarks with "my child has a progressive and terminal illness. Is THAT handicapped enough for you???"

I know what you mean! I wish I could think of something to say...we should come up with a list...usually when someone is doubting me or something, I say...yeah, well its terminal and they generally dont' say too much...

deb

I guess I will on occasion hit the nasty remarks with "my child has a progressive and terminal illness. Is THAT handicapped enough for you???"

I know what you mean! I wish I could think of something to say...we should come up with a list...usually when someone is doubting me or something, I say...yeah, well its terminal and they generally dont' say too much...

deb

deb

I would not give up my parking sticker for inconsiderate people either. You have enough on your plate as it is, why let someone who really does not understand make things harder for you and your child?

I have just learned to ignore them and move on. If they only had to use the space or ride in a wheelchair or do some of the many other things we must do for our kids.....

I finally gave up our accessible parking sticker, because people are vicious about it. If you don't have a wheelchair AND a car on it's very last leg, they don't feel you have the right to park five places closer to the front door than they do! Five spaces may be nothing to them, but it can make all the difference in the world to us. I wonder if they would stop being selfish long enough to realize how tough life must be for someone who benefits greatly from being close to the front door if they might actually help me unload my 80 pound child from the car instead of wasting their nastiness on venting ugly remarks. this upsets me...you shouldn't let people dictate how you run your life. Maybe I am too rebelious...that would make me do it even more. You nor your kids should be penalized for people's prejudices! I hope you will reconsdier...us special moms need any little break we can get including a closer parking spot. I find there are waay too many people parking in the places without a permit...I would go off on those people if I had the chance!deb Please contact mito-owner with any problems or questions.

I would not give up my parking sticker for inconsiderate people either. You have enough on your plate as it is, why let someone who really does not understand make things harder for you and your child?

I have just learned to ignore them and move on. If they only had to use the space or ride in a wheelchair or do some of the many other things we must do for our kids.....

I finally gave up our accessible parking sticker, because people are vicious about it. If you don't have a wheelchair AND a car on it's very last leg, they don't feel you have the right to park five places closer to the front door than they do! Five spaces may be nothing to them, but it can make all the difference in the world to us. I wonder if they would stop being selfish long enough to realize how tough life must be for someone who benefits greatly from being close to the front door if they might actually help me unload my 80 pound child from the car instead of wasting their nastiness on venting ugly remarks. this upsets me...you shouldn't let people dictate how you run your life. Maybe I am too rebelious...that would make me do it even more. You nor your kids should be penalized for people's prejudices! I hope you will reconsdier...us special moms need any little break we can get including a closer parking spot. I find there are waay too many people parking in the places without a permit...I would go off on those people if I had the chance!deb Please contact mito-owner with any problems or questions.

My response these days (can you tell I have been grouchy?) Is-- Do you know what Mitochondrial Disease is? When they so no. I say then shut up. Usually after someone says something like Owen is old enough to know better or behave better. The poor kid is cognitively impaired as well as on the autistic spectrum his behaviors in public can be a challenge at times. I try to be nice and educate people about the disease but every so often I get a nasty, nasty comment by a stranger so I give it back to them and they shut up.

I guess I will on occasion hit the nasty remarks with "my child has a progressive and terminal illness. Is THAT handicapped enough for you???" I know what you mean! I wish I could think of something to say...we should come up with a list...usually when someone is doubting me or something, I say...yeah, well its terminal and they generally dont' say too much...deb Please contact mito-owner with any problems or questions.

My response these days (can you tell I have been grouchy?) Is-- Do you know what Mitochondrial Disease is? When they so no. I say then shut up. Usually after someone says something like Owen is old enough to know better or behave better. The poor kid is cognitively impaired as well as on the autistic spectrum his behaviors in public can be a challenge at times. I try to be nice and educate people about the disease but every so often I get a nasty, nasty comment by a stranger so I give it back to them and they shut up.

I guess I will on occasion hit the nasty remarks with "my child has a progressive and terminal illness. Is THAT handicapped enough for you???" I know what you mean! I wish I could think of something to say...we should come up with a list...usually when someone is doubting me or something, I say...yeah, well its terminal and they generally dont' say too much...deb Please contact mito-owner with any problems or questions.

Yes, it really annoys me that the "priviledge" of parking like five spaces closer to the front door irritates these people! I guess they don't think it through that if five spaces closer to the door can make the difference between life and death, then we MUST REALLY NEED the permit! Do they think anyone can get a permit by just raising their hand in class and asking for it?

I am about to get another permit. My little one with seizure disorder needs so little to throw her into status. Being tired is more than enough to do it. However, she is fully mobile and "looks" absolutely normal; is very pretty in fact. I can hardly wait for the heck we'll catch.

What a world we live in!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Yes, it really annoys me that the "priviledge" of parking like five spaces closer to the front door irritates these people! I guess they don't think it through that if five spaces closer to the door can make the difference between life and death, then we MUST REALLY NEED the permit! Do they think anyone can get a permit by just raising their hand in class and asking for it?

I am about to get another permit. My little one with seizure disorder needs so little to throw her into status. Being tired is more than enough to do it. However, she is fully mobile and "looks" absolutely normal; is very pretty in fact. I can hardly wait for the heck we'll catch.

What a world we live in!

What a world we live in!

It's a cool look, isn't it! I know I shouldn't get a kick out of it, but I do. People can be so insensitive and such jerks. It sometimes does them good to be put in their place and be reminded that not everything is as it appears and to always error on the side of caution. Even if they eventually decide I was lying through my teeth, they have that "When is the baby due?" "I'm not pregnant" look on their face and that probably plants a seed for the future to keep their mouths shut the next time they walk past accessible parking!

It's a cool look, isn't it! I know I shouldn't get a kick out of it, but I do. People can be so insensitive and such jerks. It sometimes does them good to be put in their place and be reminded that not everything is as it appears and to always error on the side of caution. Even if they eventually decide I was lying through my teeth, they have that "When is the baby due?" "I'm not pregnant" look on their face and that probably plants a seed for the future to keep their mouths shut the next time they walk past accessible parking!

DEB!!!!

ROFL!!!

Whew! Girl, I needed you today! I was working myself into a frenzy with the board topics this morning!

how you crack me up! I did think of one good comeback line that will work for some of our kids..."Its brain damage...what's your excuse?"deb Please contact mito-owner with any problems or questions.