RemedySpot.com

Re: woman facing double mastectomy 'thinks' about saline implants

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello everybody, I am here to get help with my final decision regarding reconstruction after a double mastecomy scheduled Sept. 3 This type of surgey has been an agonizing decision since I am very much an 'alternative person.' And, I have always been 'against' implants and have read a lot of research that has made me very nervous. But I have a big conflict here because I cannot imagen waking up without my beautiful breasts and that is the real reason why I have even listen to my surgeons recommendation of immedicate reconstruction with implants. I have a real issue with disfigurement, and don't know if emotionally I can stand to look at myself looking as an 'abused woman' every day, because that is what it looks like to me... to have scars over your chest... Ps. I cannot use my own tissue for reconstruction because I have back problems and cannot disturb my stomach

muscle. Ds There has been long term studies the show woman who have reconstruction have less depression then those who don't. (I have a history of suicidal depression.) Etc Etc I have read some of your stories and you have confirmed my fears: Implants are not safe, not even saline implants with leaves me with only one option: to live with prostesis. I cannot imagen it! I am very 'breast identified.' My breasts is the part of my body I've loved the most alongside my skin, my hair, and my eyes. I suppose to me my breasts represent youth... I am 58 years old now and diagnoses with invasive breast cancer in both breasts. I have got to focus on getting rid of the cancer. I just got here; so can you direct me to a link on research on Saline Implants NOT Silicon, which I have never considered. I've always thought the Saline implants would

present the same problem as Silicon since the saline water is put in a silicon envelope, which I assume the body would have just as much problem with as the gel implants, but I've been told that the hard rubber is not the 'same thing.' I'd like to know and read more about the 'hard rubber' type saline and to hear YOUR feedback about what the difference is, if any. Thank you for being there. God bless you all. Greetings, Ann-

I had a bilateral mastectomy at 34 and was told that if I wanted to

feel like a whole woman, i would have to get implants - that is a

horrible lie. I have lived with these toxic bags of water for nearly

7 years and am now scheduling surgery to rid my body of them. At

first I thought there was no way I could live without the fake

breasts, but I have to say that with the pain and sickness these have

caused me, I will be celebrating once these are out for good. Thanks

to these implants, some conditions I have such as fibromyalgia will

never go away. My self-esteem suffered once these were put

in...haven't dated in 7 years due to the disfiguring effects of

implants contractions and hardening - I cannot look at myself. They

are uncomfortable on top of it all as they go under your muscles.

Your health is SO much more important than having something in your

body that could make you lose your identity. Either way, implants or

not, it is a difficult decision to make, but I can tell you from

experience that if I had this to do over again, I would NEVER have

opted for implants. They stole my life, my energy, my desire to

interact with others, and much more. My mother had inflammatory

breast cancer and opted not to have implants and was quite happy with

prosthetic bras. I know you have to do what is right for you, but the

women here have a lot of insight and we've all been down the toxic

road of implants.

>

> Hello everybody,

> I am here to get help with my final decision regarding

reconstruction after a double mastecomy scheduled Sept. 3 This type

of surgey has been an agonizing decision since I am very much an

'alternative person.' And,

> I have always been 'against' implants and have read a lot of

research that has made me very nervous.

> But I have a big conflict here because I cannot imagen waking up

without my beautiful breasts and that is the real reason why I have

even listen to my surgeons recommendation of immedicate reconstruction

with implants. I have a real issue with disfigurement, and don't know

if emotionally I can stand to look at myself looking as an 'abused

woman' every day, because that is what it looks like to me... to have

scars over your chest...

> Ps. I cannot use my own tissue for reconstruction because I have

back problems and cannot disturb my stomach muscle. Ds

> There has been long term studies the show woman who have

reconstruction have less depression then those who don't. (I have a

history of suicidal depression.) Etc Etc

> I have read some of your stories and you have confirmed my

fears: Implants are not safe, not even saline implants with leaves me

with only one option: to live with prostesis. I cannot imagen it! I am

very 'breast identified.' My breasts is the part of my body I've

loved the most alongside my skin, my hair, and my eyes. I suppose to

me my breasts represent youth... I am 58 years old now and diagnoses

with invasive breast cancer in both breasts. I have got to focus on

getting rid of the cancer.

>

> I just got here; so can you direct me to a link on research on

Saline Implants NOT Silicon, which I have never considered. I've

always thought the Saline implants would present the same problem as

Silicon since the saline water is put in a silicon envelope, which I

assume the body would have just as much problem with as the gel

implants, but I've been told that the hard rubber is not the 'same

thing.' I'd like to know and read more about the 'hard rubber' type

saline and to hear YOUR feedback about what the difference is, if any.

> Thank you for being there.

>

> God bless you all.

>

> Greetings,

> Ann-

>

Welcome Ann-!You certainly have a tough decision ahead of you!I know that right now, being "breastless" seems like an impossible choice. However, if you'll keep reading through the archives, I have no doubt that your thinking will evolve into a realization that there are worse things that can happen to one. ly, I can't believe a surgeon would even consider implanting a woman at the same time as her mastectomy. Talk about borrowing trouble! It appears he's trading your long term healthy for the immediate relief of not feeling mutilated. . . Not a good trade in the long run. Right now, your immune system is taking a hit from cancer. If you have radiation or chemo, it will take and even bigger hit. Implants will only make it harder on your body to

overcome these hits. . . If you feel you must get implants, please give yourself adequate time to get back on your feet before putting yourself through this.Hugs and prayers,Rogene Re: woman facing double mastectomy 'thinks' about saline implantsHello everybody,I am here to get help with my final decision regarding reconstruction after a double mastecomy scheduled Sept. 3 This type of surgey has been an agonizing decision since I am very much an 'alternative person.' And,I have always been 'against' implants and have read a lot of research that has made me very nervous. But I have a big conflict here because I cannot imagen waking up without my beautiful breasts and that is the real reason why I have even listen to my surgeons recommendation of immedicate reconstruction with implants. I have a real issue with disfigurement, and don't know if emotionally I can stand to look at myself looking as an 'abused woman' every day, because that is what it looks like to me... to have scars over your chest...Ps. I cannot use my own tissue for reconstruction because I have back problems and

cannot disturb my stomach

muscle. DsThere has been long term studies the show woman who have reconstruction have less depression then those who don't. (I have a history of suicidal depression.) Etc Etc I have read some of your stories and you have confirmed my fears: Implants are not safe, not even saline implants with leaves me with only one option: to live with prostesis. I cannot imagen it! I am very 'breast identified.' My breasts is the part of my body I've loved the most alongside my skin, my hair, and my eyes. I suppose to me my breasts represent youth... I am 58 years old now and diagnoses with invasive breast cancer in both breasts. I have got to focus on getting rid of the cancer. I just got here; so can you direct me to a link on research on Saline Implants NOT Silicon, which I have never considered. I've always thought the Saline

implants would

present the same problem as Silicon since the saline water is put in a silicon envelope, which I assume the body would have just as much problem with as the gel implants, but I've been told that the hard rubber is not the 'same thing.' I'd like to know and read more about the 'hard rubber' type saline and to hear YOUR feedback about what the difference is, if any.Thank you for being there. God bless you all. Greetings,Ann-

HI Ann-,

I have no doubt that you are getting some good replies from the women

here who have already been down this road with breast cancer. First

of all, let me say that I am so sorry that you have had to go through

this difficulty. Cancer is a very scary word for anyone, and when it

involves the breasts, it involves a very part of us that has created

our identity as women, and the prospect of losing breasts can be very

disheartening.

I do not speak from experience, as I have never had breast cancer,

and have not lost my breasts, so I can only try to put myself in your

place and sympathize.

Here are my suggestions, however, based on the fact that I have gone

through my own personal nightmare with having small breasts, been

teased about it, and then after getting breast implants, losing my

health in a devastating blow that was swift and huge. Breast

implants were the worse mistake of my life, and I wish, even this

many years later and through a difficult recovery, that I would have

never ever heard of breast implants.

In making this decision, there should be no hurry....you should be

able to think this through and not have to feel the stress of a

decision that needs to be made NOW. My instinct tells me it would be

better to deal with the cancer and focus on achieving good health

first, rather than muddle up the picture with the addition of another

foreign object into your body, the implants. Your body has enough to

face right now. Prosthetics are not so bad....I said I haven't lost

my breasts, but I do wear breast enhancers to fill out my shape when

I desire to wear certain clothes, and they are perfectly natural

looking and are not uncomfortable to wear. I would wear prosthetic

breasts in a heartbeat if I lost my breasts to cancer.

The safe route for you would be to not get implants now, and place

your focus on working your way through this experience, savoring all

of the emotional growth that may be possible. Yes, it will be a

difficult road to travel, but how do you know you won't be able to

draw from an inner strength that will surprise even you, regarding

your ability to realize your value apart from your breasts? Women

are not truly defined by our breasts, and I can say that for me, it

was an incredible realization that empowered me beyond what I thought

possible. I used to think that my breasts were so ultra important to

my self-image, until I replaced that lie with the truth....The truth

is that we have value apart from our bodies because we are beautiful

on the INSIDE first. Every human being is a soul, with beauty that

radiates from an inner peace, an inner strength, an inner character

that is separated from the body that falls apart and disappoints us

as we grow older, into the " wiser " years.

I hope this helps you. Don't discount the fact that all of our

struggles are supposed to bring us to a place of growth--we can

easily miss it if we focus on things that are temporal. Our bodies

certainly are. Our spirits live forever.

Patty

>

> Hello everybody,

> I am here to get help with my final decision regarding

reconstruction after a double mastecomy scheduled Sept. 3 This type

of surgey has been an agonizing decision since I am very much

an 'alternative person.' And,

> I have always been 'against' implants and have read a lot of

research that has made me very nervous.

> But I have a big conflict here because I cannot imagen waking up

without my beautiful breasts and that is the real reason why I have

even listen to my surgeons recommendation of immedicate

reconstruction with implants. I have a real issue with disfigurement,

and don't know if emotionally I can stand to look at myself looking

as an 'abused woman' every day, because that is what it looks like to

me... to have scars over your chest...

> Ps. I cannot use my own tissue for reconstruction because I have

back problems and cannot disturb my stomach muscle. Ds

> There has been long term studies the show woman who have

reconstruction have less depression then those who don't. (I have a

history of suicidal depression.) Etc Etc

> I have read some of your stories and you have confirmed my

fears: Implants are not safe, not even saline implants with leaves me

with only one option: to live with prostesis. I cannot imagen it! I

am very 'breast identified.' My breasts is the part of my body I've

loved the most alongside my skin, my hair, and my eyes. I suppose to

me my breasts represent youth... I am 58 years old now and diagnoses

with invasive breast cancer in both breasts. I have got to focus on

getting rid of the cancer.

>

> I just got here; so can you direct me to a link on research on

Saline Implants NOT Silicon, which I have never considered. I've

always thought the Saline implants would present the same problem as

Silicon since the saline water is put in a silicon envelope, which I

assume the body would have just as much problem with as the gel

implants, but I've been told that the hard rubber is not the 'same

thing.' I'd like to know and read more about the 'hard rubber' type

saline and to hear YOUR feedback about what the difference is, if any.

> Thank you for being there.

>

> God bless you all.

>

> Greetings,

> Ann-

>

Hi Patty, Thank your for your beautiful email. It spoke to my heart. I got home tired and overwhelmed with all my medical problems, to numerous to mention. (I now have an infected tooth+bone, and I've had to go on antibiotics just before surgery!) Anyhow, I got such comfort reading your emails, and yours especially, strenghtened my resolve to do my body a favor and remove the 'toxic overload' of cancer, and not burden my body with yet another 'toxin,' - breast implants. I found You Beautiful Woman by Goggling "Breast Implants toxidity reseach," and there your were. Isn't that marveolus? I've been asking many doctors about the 'toxidity' of breast plants, even alternative doctors I see, and none of them seem to know anything about it.... Most people are just like me; very focused on the need to 'replace the

loss' of the breasts. And it IS a tremendous loss for a woman, but the truth for me is that nothing can really replace them..... because it is the FEELING I will miss the most.... the softness.. the femininity... my youthful looks... My whole entire sexuality is 'tied up' in my breasts. Not all woman are like that, Love says in her "Dr Love's Breastbook.' I will have to find another way to relate to men, and can't worry about that now. Your are so right, HEALTH comes FIRST, everything else will have to take care of itself, with time. A couple of times when I prayed and meditated and I was in a 'good place' about all of this, the thought that has come to me was this: "First you save your 'ass' and then you worry about the shape of it later." I certainly don't need any more health problems. I have enough of them, most of which I've been able to keep 'under control' with acupuncture, Chinese

Herbs and Supplements. I am so sorry for all that you have had to go thru.. One of the worst things is when you ARE sick and doctors don't believe you.. That really takes a toll on a person. I know that from personal experience. Growing up I watched "Western Medecine' (conventional medecine in Sweden) completely destroy my Mother. She was 'classified' a manic-depressive and the drugs they gave her didn't work. She became addicted to prescription drugs, which in combination with all her other health issues eventually killed her at the age of 63. The electric chock treatments they gave to her, for her depressions was THE WORST of what they did to her. To this day I don't have a lot of 'faith' in Western Medecin, but I have finally 'talked myself' into having surgery. So here I am trying to 'impower' myself before surgery. Interesting how hard it is to 'turn down' breast implants because it is

offered to me as a way 'to feel better' about what is happening to me.' I need so desperately to feel better about what IS happening to me, and here is a man (a father figure) the plastic surgeon, who is offering me 'a way to feel better now.' I cannot believe how hard that is to turn down with all the knowledge I have about implants. (This is my 2nd time around turning down implants.) I suppose it is hard to say 'no' because I feel so awful about what is happening to me. But sometimes things in life happens to us, that are incomprehensible, things to awful to contemplate... and somehow we get thru them once we are there, because we have to. Thank's expecially for reminding me to not 'hurry' my decision. Sometimes I felt I had to make a decision now because I just could not face waking up without breasts.

You reminded me, that we have a saying in a spititual fellowship that I belong to that says: "Save yourself from two pests, hurry and indecision." Well I've LIVED in indecision for a long time and it has got to stop. I did have an alternative doctor tell me that if I had immediate reconstruction I would never know if 'they got it all.' "They are experimenting," he said about the doctors at Cedar Sinai. No kidding! My body is on toxic overload because that is what cancer is, and I need to help it rid itself of some of the 'load.' Maybe I can learn to love myself and my body by focusing on doing what is BEST for my health, not my looks, or my breasts, etc. but my WHOLE body, my immunesystem, etc. It is getting late, and I've got to go. Thanks again for being there and 'making my burdens' lighter. Love your email address GLORY2GLORY. (I Love Gospel

Music.) God Bless, Ann- glory2glory1401 <glory2glory1401@...> wrote: HI Ann-,I have no doubt that you are getting some good replies from the women here who have already been down this road with breast cancer. First of all, let me say that I am so sorry that you have had to go through this difficulty. Cancer is a very scary word for anyone, and when it involves the breasts, it involves a

very part of us that has created our identity as women, and the prospect of losing breasts can be very disheartening.I do not speak from experience, as I have never had breast cancer, and have not lost my breasts, so I can only try to put myself in your place and sympathize.Here are my suggestions, however, based on the fact that I have gone through my own personal nightmare with having small breasts, been teased about it, and then after getting breast implants, losing my health in a devastating blow that was swift and huge. Breast implants were the worse mistake of my life, and I wish, even this many years later and through a difficult recovery, that I would have never ever heard of breast implants.In making this decision, there should be no hurry....you should be able to think this through and not have to feel the stress of a decision that needs to be made NOW. My instinct tells me it would be

better to deal with the cancer and focus on achieving good health first, rather than muddle up the picture with the addition of another foreign object into your body, the implants. Your body has enough to face right now. Prosthetics are not so bad....I said I haven't lost my breasts, but I do wear breast enhancers to fill out my shape when I desire to wear certain clothes, and they are perfectly natural looking and are not uncomfortable to wear. I would wear prosthetic breasts in a heartbeat if I lost my breasts to cancer.The safe route for you would be to not get implants now, and place your focus on working your way through this experience, savoring all of the emotional growth that may be possible. Yes, it will be a difficult road to travel, but how do you know you won't be able to draw from an inner strength that will surprise even you, regarding your ability to realize your value apart from your breasts? Women

are not truly defined by our breasts, and I can say that for me, it was an incredible realization that empowered me beyond what I thought possible. I used to think that my breasts were so ultra important to my self-image, until I replaced that lie with the truth....The truth is that we have value apart from our bodies because we are beautiful on the INSIDE first. Every human being is a soul, with beauty that radiates from an inner peace, an inner strength, an inner character that is separated from the body that falls apart and disappoints us as we grow older, into the "wiser" years.I hope this helps you. Don't discount the fact that all of our struggles are supposed to bring us to a place of growth--we can easily miss it if we focus on things that are temporal. Our bodies certainly are. Our spirits live forever.Patty >> Hello everybody,> I am here to get help with my final decision regarding reconstruction after a double mastecomy scheduled Sept. 3 This type of surgey has been an agonizing decision since I am very much an 'alternative person.' And,> I have always been 'against' implants and have read a lot of research that has made me very nervous. > But I have a big conflict here because I cannot imagen waking up without my beautiful breasts and that is the real reason why I have even listen to my surgeons recommendation of immedicate reconstruction with implants. I have a real issue with disfigurement, and don't know if emotionally I can stand to look at myself looking as an 'abused woman' every day, because that is what it looks like to me... to have scars over

your chest...> Ps. I cannot use my own tissue for reconstruction because I have back problems and cannot disturb my stomach muscle. Ds> There has been long term studies the show woman who have reconstruction have less depression then those who don't. (I have a history of suicidal depression.) Etc Etc> I have read some of your stories and you have confirmed my fears: Implants are not safe, not even saline implants with leaves me with only one option: to live with prostesis. I cannot imagen it! I am very 'breast identified.' My breasts is the part of my body I've loved the most alongside my skin, my hair, and my eyes. I suppose to me my breasts represent youth... I am 58 years old now and diagnoses with invasive breast cancer in both breasts. I have got to focus on getting rid of the cancer.> > I just got here; so can you direct me to a link on research on Saline Implants NOT Silicon, which I have

never considered. I've always thought the Saline implants would present the same problem as Silicon since the saline water is put in a silicon envelope, which I assume the body would have just as much problem with as the gel implants, but I've been told that the hard rubber is not the 'same thing.' I'd like to know and read more about the 'hard rubber' type saline and to hear YOUR feedback about what the difference is, if any.> Thank you for being there.> > God bless you all.> > Greetings,> Ann->

Ann-,

I am so glad to have shone a little bright light in your life. You

can accomplish whatever heart sets out to do, when it is in your

power to do it, and when it comes to your body, you have control over

all the decisions that need to be made. I think you are wise to take

this slowly and think it all through, and FOCUS on getting better! I

followed the natural route to healing and I do not regret it one

bit.

Thanks for your kind words....I'm sorry for what happened to your

mother. Dealing with health conditions in our century is more

complicated than ever, because the choices have become downright

scary. It's hard to know who to believe anymore. That's why I

decided to stick with God's way, and just say " no " to all their hocus

pocus drugs.

I'm heading up to Utah, so I have to cut this shorter than I

intended...I wanted to be out the door a half hour ago, so I will

catch up with all of you beautiful ladies when I get back.

Take care of yourself Ann-, tell your doctors of your

decisions and don't let them push you around. You are a strong lady

and you will get through this!

God bless,

Patty

> >

> > Hello everybody,

> > I am here to get help with my final decision regarding

> reconstruction after a double mastecomy scheduled Sept. 3 This type

> of surgey has been an agonizing decision since I am very much

> an 'alternative person.' And,

> > I have always been 'against' implants and have read a lot of

> research that has made me very nervous.

> > But I have a big conflict here because I cannot imagen waking up

> without my beautiful breasts and that is the real reason why I have

> even listen to my surgeons recommendation of immedicate

> reconstruction with implants. I have a real issue with

disfigurement,

> and don't know if emotionally I can stand to look at myself looking

> as an 'abused woman' every day, because that is what it looks like

to

> me... to have scars over your chest...

> > Ps. I cannot use my own tissue for reconstruction because I have

> back problems and cannot disturb my stomach muscle. Ds

> > There has been long term studies the show woman who have

> reconstruction have less depression then those who don't. (I have a

> history of suicidal depression.) Etc Etc

> > I have read some of your stories and you have confirmed my

> fears: Implants are not safe, not even saline implants with leaves

me

> with only one option: to live with prostesis. I cannot imagen it! I

> am very 'breast identified.' My breasts is the part of my body I've

> loved the most alongside my skin, my hair, and my eyes. I suppose

to

> me my breasts represent youth... I am 58 years old now and

diagnoses

> with invasive breast cancer in both breasts. I have got to focus on

> getting rid of the cancer.

> >

> > I just got here; so can you direct me to a link on research on

> Saline Implants NOT Silicon, which I have never considered. I've

> always thought the Saline implants would present the same problem

as

> Silicon since the saline water is put in a silicon envelope, which

I

> assume the body would have just as much problem with as the gel

> implants, but I've been told that the hard rubber is not the 'same

> thing.' I'd like to know and read more about the 'hard rubber' type

> saline and to hear YOUR feedback about what the difference is, if

any.

> > Thank you for being there.

> >

> > God bless you all.

> >

> > Greetings,

> > Ann-

> >

>

My Dear Ann-:

Welcome to this wonderful group of women. When I read your note to our group, I was at a loss for words. Cancer can be the most frightening diagnosis that anyone can have. You sound very strong, and willing to do research before having your surgery.

Honey, please keep asking questions, because many of the women in this group have had cancer. I am positive for MGUS, and when we found out we were so frightened. Many women have developed Multiple Myeloma from having silicone breast implants. My doctors do all the correct testing every few months, and so far everything is normal.

We will all be here for you, and will give you plenty of love and support.

Stay close...love always.........Lea

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Re: woman facing double mastectomy 'thinks' about saline implants

Hello everybody,

I am here to get help with my final decision regarding reconstruction after a double mastecomy scheduled Sept. 3 This type of surgey has been an agonizing decision since I am very much an 'alternative person.' And,

I have always been 'against' implants and have read a lot of research that has made me very nervous.

But I have a big conflict here because I cannot imagen waking up without my beautiful breasts and that is the real reason why I have even listen to my surgeons recommendation of immedicate reconstruction with implants. I have a real issue with disfigurement, and don't know if emotionally I can stand to look at myself looking as an 'abused woman' every day, because that is what it looks like to me... to have scars over your chest...

Ps. I cannot use my own tissue for reconstruction because I have back problems and cannot disturb my stoma ch muscle. Ds

There has been long term studies the show woman who have reconstruction have less depression then those who don't. (I have a history of suicidal depression.) Etc Etc

I have read some of your stories and you have confirmed my fears: Implants are not safe, not even saline implants with leaves me with only one option: to live with prostesis. I cannot imagen it! I am very 'breast identified.' My breasts is the part of my body I've loved the most alongside my skin, my hair, and my eyes. I suppose to me my breasts represent youth... I am 58 years old now and diagnoses with invasive breast cancer in both breasts. I have got to focus on getting rid of the cancer.

I just got here; so can you direct me to a link on research on Saline Implants NOT Silicon, which I have never considered. I've always thought the Saline implants would present the same problem as Silicon since the saline water is put in a silicon envelope, which I assume the body would have just as much problem with as the gel implants, but I've been told that the hard rubber is not the 'same thing.' I'd like to know and read more about the 'hard rubber' type saline and to hear YOUR feedback about what the difference is, if any.

Thank you for being there.

God bless you all.

Greetings,

Ann-