RemedySpot.com

Re: Upper GI

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Kathy,

I had an Upper GI last year along with a video esophogram. There is nothing painful about it in the least so you can put your mind at ease. The worst part is eating or drinking the dye infused drink or food. It's not very tasty but once you drink it they will take x-rays of your torso to see how the food goes down and whether there are any abnormalities of the esophogus or stomach such as reflux disease or an ulcer or a tumor of some kind.

You will normally have to fast for at least 8 hours prior to the test and you may feel nauseous for several hours afterward. I didn't have any nausea at all though many do.

An upper GI, sometimes also called a barium swallow is one of the easier tests to have done in my experience. Good luck and let us know how things turn out!

Beth

Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

Change everything. Love and Forgive

Upper GI

Well, I had the bloodwork and the GSE done and the last came back unsatisfactory. ........the results are going in to Shands Evaluation Team this morning and my doctor told me to expect further testing.Did anyone here ever have an Upper Gi? can you tell me what it is like,please. The Gastric Stomach Emptying Study was strange. Actually eating the scrambled eggs was the worst...they were terrible!!! and it turns out that I only have 29% of the 60% expected for someone my age.. in emptying speed over 60 minutes (that is how long it is supposed to take)...Iam supposed tp empty my stomach much faster than I am, evidently. I was put on reglan years ago for problems and have absolutely no symptoms or problems since, but I am wondering about my next step - a friend told me that the Upper Gi would probably be it.Thanks,Kathy flpf.4/07

Guest guest

Kathy,

I had an Upper GI last year along with a video esophogram. There is nothing painful about it in the least so you can put your mind at ease. The worst part is eating or drinking the dye infused drink or food. It's not very tasty but once you drink it they will take x-rays of your torso to see how the food goes down and whether there are any abnormalities of the esophogus or stomach such as reflux disease or an ulcer or a tumor of some kind.

You will normally have to fast for at least 8 hours prior to the test and you may feel nauseous for several hours afterward. I didn't have any nausea at all though many do.

An upper GI, sometimes also called a barium swallow is one of the easier tests to have done in my experience. Good luck and let us know how things turn out!

Beth

Upper GI

Well, I had the bloodwork and the GSE done and the last came back unsatisfactory. ........the results are going in to Shands Evaluation Team this morning and my doctor told me to expect further testing.Did anyone here ever have an Upper Gi? can you tell me what it is like,please. The Gastric Stomach Emptying Study was strange. Actually eating the scrambled eggs was the worst...they were terrible!!! and it turns out that I only have 29% of the 60% expected for someone my age.. in emptying speed over 60 minutes (that is how long it is supposed to take)...Iam supposed tp empty my stomach much faster than I am, evidently. I was put on reglan years ago for problems and have absolutely no symptoms or problems since, but I am wondering about my next step - a friend told me that the Upper Gi would probably be it.Thanks,Kathy flpf.4/07

Guest guest

Kathy,

Beth

Upper GI

Guest guest

Kathy I had this test too. I stood in an x-ray machine and they watched while I drank 3 glasses of white liquid.LOL It wasn't bad, I sometimes have a problem swallowing and they were checking my esophagus and stomach.The only thing I would tell you is I wouldn't make plans to go out that evening.. what goes in must come out. I had pretty bad cramps. Might just be me. Best of luck to you. Hang in there. Love and Prayers, Peggy   IPF  2004,  Florida"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back,  Faith looks up."

Guest guest

Kathy I had this test too. I stood in an x-ray machine and they watched while I drank 3 glasses of white liquid.LOL It wasn't bad, I sometimes have a problem swallowing and they were checking my esophagus and stomach.The only thing I would tell you is I wouldn't make plans to go out that evening.. what goes in must come out. I had pretty bad cramps. Might just be me. Best of luck to you. Hang in there. Love and Prayers, Peggy   IPF  2004,  Florida"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back,  Faith looks up."

Guest guest

Kathy

I'd be more inclined to believe an upper endoscopy is what will come

next than an upper GI, although they may do the upper GI first. The

upper GI is just another of the drink sickening stuff, let them xray

things and nothing invasive or painful. The upper endoscopy is actually

sedating you and using a small camera to look down through your

esophagus and to your stomach. It's a very essential test as it can help

determine why the slow flow and what the level of acid reflux is as well

as any damage caused by it. As common as these issues are with PF

patients I would think it would be pretty standard. I've had it 5 times.

I can tell you that while it sounds bad there is nothing to it at all.

It's painless. I've never had any after effects. There is no preparation

for it.

>

> Well, I had the bloodwork and the GSE done and the last came back

> unsatisfactory.........the results are going in to Shands Evaluation

> Team this morning and my doctor told me to expect further testing.

>

>

> Did anyone here ever have an Upper Gi? can you tell me what it is

like,

> please. The Gastric Stomach Emptying Study was strange. Actually

> eating the scrambled eggs was the worst...they were terrible!!! and it

> turns out that I only have 29% of the 60% expected for someone my

age..

> in emptying speed over 60 minutes (that is how long it is supposed to

> take)...Iam supposed tp empty my stomach much faster than I am,

> evidently. I was put on reglan years ago for problems and have

> absolutely no symptoms or problems since, but I am wondering about my

> next step - a friend told me that the Upper Gi would probably be it.

>

> Thanks,

> Kathy fl

> pf.4/07

>

Guest guest

- Bruce, Bath, and Paggy.....thank you all for responding so

quickly......this all started by a non Shands dr. deciding it was

time to do both tests came out fine.......did take a biopsy from a

polyp which was not a problem either-thisreport went to tDr.

Baz,......who then decided I needed to have the GSE and s couple of

other non related tests. The GSE was faxed to Dr. BAz this morning

and I am waiting for the phone call and the next step. I know it is

important to be sure all is well before listing.....but I am real

close to it and wonder why this would be an issue.....I can

understand all of the other tests I have had done.

PEGGY, i LOVED YOUR " WHAT GOES IN, MUST COME OUT " COMMENT.

Take care, all of you and have an easy breathing day. You all heloed

me feel reassured about this new test possibility.

Kathy fl

pf..4 In

-Support , " Bruce Moreland " wrote:

>

>

> Kathy

>

> I'd be more inclined to believe an upper endoscopy is what will come

> next than an upper GI, although they may do the upper GI first. The

> upper GI is just another of the drink sickening stuff, let them xray

> things and nothing invasive or painful. The upper endoscopy is

actually

> sedating you and using a small camera to look down through your

> esophagus and to your stomach. It's a very essential test as it can

help

> determine why the slow flow and what the level of acid reflux is as

well

> as any damage caused by it. As common as these issues are with PF

> patients I would think it would be pretty standard. I've had it 5

times.

> I can tell you that while it sounds bad there is nothing to it at

all.

> It's painless. I've never had any after effects. There is no

preparation

> for it.

>

>

>

> >

> > Well, I had the bloodwork and the GSE done and the last came back

> > unsatisfactory.........the results are going in to Shands

Evaluation

> > Team this morning and my doctor told me to expect further testing.

> >

> >

> > Did anyone here ever have an Upper Gi? can you tell me what it is

> like,

> > please. The Gastric Stomach Emptying Study was strange. Actually

> > eating the scrambled eggs was the worst...they were terrible!!!

and it

> > turns out that I only have 29% of the 60% expected for someone my

> age..

> > in emptying speed over 60 minutes (that is how long it is

supposed to

> > take)...Iam supposed tp empty my stomach much faster than I am,

> > evidently. I was put on reglan years ago for problems and have

> > absolutely no symptoms or problems since, but I am wondering

about my

> > next step - a friend told me that the Upper Gi would probably be

it.

> >