RemedySpot.com

Re: Just approved for disability

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Jean

There are quite a few places to start turning. There is a benefits screening tool on medicare's site.

http://connections.govbenefits.gov/ssa_en.portal;jsessionid=hnnnLbRXdssgWBbsQN1LYQwLT3fNhRhBJfQGKqw2TrdC5xPhphXN!23474315?_nfpb=true & _pageLabel=gbcc_page_ccquestionnaire & _nfls=false

You can look at those available on a national basis at:

http://www.govbenefits.gov/govbenefits_en.portal

Now each state and city generally has programs too. Here is the list from the above site for Illinois.

http://www.govbenefits.gov/govbenefits_en.portal?_nfpb=true & _pageLabel=gbcc_page_locate_state & _nfls=false & _code=IL

And here is the state's website.

http://www.illinois.gov/living/disability.cfm

Generally there is a local agency too assigned disability and senior centers are a wealth of potential information and counseling toward resources.

My poster child for dealing with such a situation is Tina and hopefully she'll see your post. But, what I saw in her was a lady determined who sought ever service available.

There is certainly assistance in housing and other services available and as you approach an empty nest you'll have decisions to make there.

Maybe the most difficult thing is going and asking for all this assistance but we've all paid the taxes to support it and we are the people for whom it is designed. You get to the right local person and she'll refer to you many more who can help.

>> Hi Everybody,> I just learned that I was approved for SSDI. The process took less than two months. I have felt very emotional, for at 52, my brain hasn't caught up with my diagnosis, and I don't think of myself as being that sick, unable to work, disabled, and all the rest. I don't think I've even begun to think about the "what now" piece. But the truth is, my disability benefit is so small, it will only pay my mortgage, and nothing else. I have contacted caringvoice.com, and spoke to them at length. They were very caring and kind, but admitted that they could offer no help, as I am not taking any trial or experimental medications that would qualify for their reimbursement. I am a single mother with four children, ages 18, 20, 22, and 23. I have two sons who have graduated from college, one of them at home for the summer, deciding on his next direction, the other living and working in Idaho. My daughter will be a junior in college and my youngest son> will be a senior in high school. Can ANYONE offer any help as to how they make it? God is mighty and able, and in Him all things are possible. He is more than able to do above and beyond all that we would dare ask, hope, or think. I am trusting in Him for all things. My fellow sojourners, if you can offer your insight, I would welcome it. Thank you for listening.> (Dx. with IPF 11/07)>

Guest guest

Jean

There are quite a few places to start turning. There is a benefits screening tool on medicare's site.

http://connections.govbenefits.gov/ssa_en.portal;jsessionid=hnnnLbRXdssgWBbsQN1LYQwLT3fNhRhBJfQGKqw2TrdC5xPhphXN!23474315?_nfpb=true & _pageLabel=gbcc_page_ccquestionnaire & _nfls=false

You can look at those available on a national basis at:

http://www.govbenefits.gov/govbenefits_en.portal

Now each state and city generally has programs too. Here is the list from the above site for Illinois.

http://www.govbenefits.gov/govbenefits_en.portal?_nfpb=true & _pageLabel=gbcc_page_locate_state & _nfls=false & _code=IL

And here is the state's website.

http://www.illinois.gov/living/disability.cfm

Generally there is a local agency too assigned disability and senior centers are a wealth of potential information and counseling toward resources.

My poster child for dealing with such a situation is Tina and hopefully she'll see your post. But, what I saw in her was a lady determined who sought ever service available.

There is certainly assistance in housing and other services available and as you approach an empty nest you'll have decisions to make there.

Maybe the most difficult thing is going and asking for all this assistance but we've all paid the taxes to support it and we are the people for whom it is designed. You get to the right local person and she'll refer to you many more who can help.

>> Hi Everybody,> I just learned that I was approved for SSDI. The process took less than two months. I have felt very emotional, for at 52, my brain hasn't caught up with my diagnosis, and I don't think of myself as being that sick, unable to work, disabled, and all the rest. I don't think I've even begun to think about the "what now" piece. But the truth is, my disability benefit is so small, it will only pay my mortgage, and nothing else. I have contacted caringvoice.com, and spoke to them at length. They were very caring and kind, but admitted that they could offer no help, as I am not taking any trial or experimental medications that would qualify for their reimbursement. I am a single mother with four children, ages 18, 20, 22, and 23. I have two sons who have graduated from college, one of them at home for the summer, deciding on his next direction, the other living and working in Idaho. My daughter will be a junior in college and my youngest son> will be a senior in high school. Can ANYONE offer any help as to how they make it? God is mighty and able, and in Him all things are possible. He is more than able to do above and beyond all that we would dare ask, hope, or think. I am trusting in Him for all things. My fellow sojourners, if you can offer your insight, I would welcome it. Thank you for listening.> (Dx. with IPF 11/07)>

Guest guest

Congratulations on being approved so rapidly for SSDI. I know it's not much but it's something and sounds like it will at least keep a roof over your head. My life changed utterly and completely when I became ill. I went from a single mom working 50-60 hours a week to disabled and unable to work in a weekend.

A couple of thoughts....www.needymeds.com is a great resource to all the programs available from the different pharmaceutical companies for thousands of different meds. You'll have to fill out forms and prove your financial situation but I've gotten both Nexium and Advair for a full year at no charge from their respective manufacturers.

You probably should sit down and have an honest conversation with your children regarding finances. My son lives on his own now and he understands that I'm not able to help him financially as much as I'd like to be able to. We've filed Fafsa and he's going to school on Pell grants and other financial aid. There is an awful lot of aid out there for children whose parents are disabled.

Speaking of that your children who are under 19 should be eligible for Social Security payments based on your disability. You should also sit down and have a conversation with your pastor. There may be programs or aid available from your church that you would not have any knowledge of unless you ask.

Bruce makes a good point about Tina. I'm hoping she will respond to your post. She's a single mom with a little guy and this illness on top.

It's so frustrating to have to do all this work and advocate for ourselves when we're already sick but unfortunately that's the way it is. Don't get discouraged and keep coming back here to ask for help and ideas. I'll keep my thinking cap on for you Jean. God Bless you!

Beth

Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

Change everything. Love and Forgive

Just approved for disability

Hi Everybody,

I just learned that I was approved for SSDI. The process took less than two months. I have felt very emotional, for at 52, my brain hasn't caught up with my diagnosis, and I don't think of myself as being that sick, unable to work, disabled, and all the rest. I don't think I've even begun to think about the "what now" piece. But the truth is, my disability benefit is so small, it will only pay my mortgage, and nothing else. I have contacted caringvoice. com, and spoke to them at length. They were very caring and kind, but admitted that they could offer no help, as I am not taking any trial or experimental medications that would qualify for their reimbursement. I am a single mother with four children, ages 18, 20, 22, and 23. I have two sons who have graduated from college, one of them at home for the summer, deciding on his next direction, the other living and working in Idaho. My daughter will

be a junior in college and my youngest son will be a senior in high school. Can ANYONE offer any help as to how they make it? God is mighty and able, and in Him all things are possible. He is more than able to do above and beyond all that we would dare ask, hope, or think. I am trusting in Him for all things. My fellow sojourners, if you can offer your insight, I would welcome it. Thank you for listening.

(Dx. with IPF 11/07)

Guest guest

so well put. As parents we tend to feel it is all on us to take care of the responsibilities.

disability of a loved one, is a family affair. another site I was given by another support group

during my onset of

financial needs was www.modestneeds.com I found that just knowing there are others

out there ready to help well, it cleared the forest. God bless, and remember loved ones

arent mind readers you have to talk about y our needs for them to know what you need.

With Warm Regards, Ali Klisser"Be who you are, & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, & those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Suess ~

To: Breathe-Support From: mbmurtha@...Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:41:53 -0700Subject: Re: Just approved for disability

Congratulations on being approved so rapidly for SSDI. I know it's not much but it's something and sounds like it will at least keep a roof over your head. My life changed utterly and completely when I became ill. I went from a single mom working 50-60 hours a week to disabled and unable to work in a weekend.

A couple of thoughts....www.needymeds.com is a great resource to all the programs available from the different pharmaceutical companies for thousands of different meds. You'll have to fill out forms and prove your financial situation but I've gotten both Nexium and Advair for a full year at no charge from their respective manufacturers.

You probably should sit down and have an honest conversation with your children regarding finances. My son lives on his own now and he understands that I'm not able to help him financially as much as I'd like to be able to. We've filed Fafsa and he's going to school on Pell grants and other financial aid. There is an awful lot of aid out there for children whose parents are disabled.

Speaking of that your children who are under 19 should be eligible for Social Security payments based on your disability. You should also sit down and have a conversation with your pastor. There may be programs or aid available from your church that you would not have any knowledge of unless you ask.

Bruce makes a good point about Tina. I'm hoping she will respond to your post. She's a single mom with a little guy and this illness on top.

It's so frustrating to have to do all this work and advocate for ourselves when we're already sick but unfortunately that's the way it is. Don't get discouraged and keep coming back here to ask for help and ideas. I'll keep my thinking cap on for you Jean. God Bless you!

Beth

Hi Everybody,

I just learned that I was approved for SSDI. The process took less than two months. I have felt very emotional, for at 52, my brain hasn't caught up with my diagnosis, and I don't think of myself as being that sick, unable to work, disabled, and all the rest. I don't think I've even begun to think about the "what now" piece. But the truth is, my disability benefit is so small, it will only pay my mortgage, and nothing else. I have contacted caringvoice. com, and spoke to them at length. They were very caring and kind, but admitted that they could offer no help, as I am not taking any trial or experimental medications that would qualify for their reimbursement. I am a single mother with four children, ages 18, 20, 22, and 23. I have two sons who have graduated from college, one of them at home for the summer, deciding on his next direction, the other living and working in Idaho. My daughter will be a junior in college and my youngest son will be a senior in high school. Can ANYONE offer any help as to how they make it? God is mighty and able, and in Him all things are possible. He is more than able to do above and beyond all that we would dare ask, hope, or think. I am trusting in Him for all things. My fellow sojourners, if you can offer your insight, I would welcome it. Thank you for listening.

(Dx. with IPF 11/07)

The i’m Talkathon starts 6/24/08.  For now, give amongst yourselves. Learn More

Guest guest

so well put. As parents we tend to feel it is all on us to take care of the responsibilities.

disability of a loved one, is a family affair. another site I was given by another support group

during my onset of

financial needs was www.modestneeds.com I found that just knowing there are others

out there ready to help well, it cleared the forest. God bless, and remember loved ones

arent mind readers you have to talk about y our needs for them to know what you need.

With Warm Regards, Ali Klisser"Be who you are, & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, & those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Suess ~

To: Breathe-Support From: mbmurtha@...Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:41:53 -0700Subject: Re: Just approved for disability

Beth

Hi Everybody,

I just learned that I was approved for SSDI. The process took less than two months. I have felt very emotional, for at 52, my brain hasn't caught up with my diagnosis, and I don't think of myself as being that sick, unable to work, disabled, and all the rest. I don't think I've even begun to think about the "what now" piece. But the truth is, my disability benefit is so small, it will only pay my mortgage, and nothing else. I have contacted caringvoice. com, and spoke to them at length. They were very caring and kind, but admitted that they could offer no help, as I am not taking any trial or experimental medications that would qualify for their reimbursement. I am a single mother with four children, ages 18, 20, 22, and 23. I have two sons who have graduated from college, one of them at home for the summer, deciding on his next direction, the other living and working in Idaho. My daughter will be a junior in college and my youngest son will be a senior in high school. Can ANYONE offer any help as to how they make it? God is mighty and able, and in Him all things are possible. He is more than able to do above and beyond all that we would dare ask, hope, or think. I am trusting in Him for all things. My fellow sojourners, if you can offer your insight, I would welcome it. Thank you for listening.

(Dx. with IPF 11/07)

Guest guest

during my onset of

Beth

Hi Everybody,

(Dx. with IPF 11/07)

Guest guest

Jean...I'm glad to hear your SSDI has been approved and if it pays the mortgage, well GOODIE! That much is off your worry plate.

I know you worry about your kids. However 3 of them are adults and they may have to look deeply for financial aid, or part time jobs or student loans. I'm sure they understand that the changes in your life means changes in theirs as well.

These adjustments are so difficult. We all have some to make for various reasons and we all feel the stress right along with you.

I already told you that for us it meant selling our home, finally going into a subsidized apt and changing the way we used to live. We don't travel as much...in fact very little and we watch our pennies. No, we watch our dollars, pennies don't even count anymore. lol.

Are your working sons able to help you?

What specifically do you see as your greatest need? Maybe we could give more specific suggestions. I'm sure someone has been where you are.

Keep the faith Jean. Keep the faith.

I pray for you and your family.

MamaSher, age 69. IPF 3-06, OR./ NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Hi Everybody,

I just learned that I was approved for SSDI. The process took less than two months. I have felt very emotional, for at 52, my brain hasn't caught up with my diagnosis, and I don't think of myself as being that sick, unable to work, disabled, and all the rest. I don't think I've even begun to think about the "what now" piece. But the truth is, my disability benefit is so small, it will only pay my mortgage, and nothing else. I have contacted caringvoice.com, and spoke to them at length. They were very caring and kind, but admitted that they could offer no help, as I am not taking any trial or experimental medications that would qualify for their reimbursement. I am a single mother with four children, ages 18, 20, 22, and 23. I have two sons who have graduated from college, one of them at home for the summer, deciding on his next direction, the other living and working in Idaho. My daughter will be a junior in college and my youngest son will be a senior in high school. Can ANYONE offer any help as to how they make it? God is mighty and able, and in Him all things are possible. He is more than able to do above and beyond all that we would dare ask, hope, or think. I am trusting in Him for all things. My fellow sojourners, if you can offer your insight, I would welcome it. Thank you for listening.

(Dx. with IPF 11/07)

Guest guest

Jean...I'm glad to hear your SSDI has been approved and if it pays the mortgage, well GOODIE! That much is off your worry plate.

I know you worry about your kids. However 3 of them are adults and they may have to look deeply for financial aid, or part time jobs or student loans. I'm sure they understand that the changes in your life means changes in theirs as well.

These adjustments are so difficult. We all have some to make for various reasons and we all feel the stress right along with you.

I already told you that for us it meant selling our home, finally going into a subsidized apt and changing the way we used to live. We don't travel as much...in fact very little and we watch our pennies. No, we watch our dollars, pennies don't even count anymore. lol.

Are your working sons able to help you?

What specifically do you see as your greatest need? Maybe we could give more specific suggestions. I'm sure someone has been where you are.

Keep the faith Jean. Keep the faith.

I pray for you and your family.

MamaSher, age 69. IPF 3-06, OR./ NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Hi Everybody,

I just learned that I was approved for SSDI. The process took less than two months. I have felt very emotional, for at 52, my brain hasn't caught up with my diagnosis, and I don't think of myself as being that sick, unable to work, disabled, and all the rest. I don't think I've even begun to think about the "what now" piece. But the truth is, my disability benefit is so small, it will only pay my mortgage, and nothing else. I have contacted caringvoice.com, and spoke to them at length. They were very caring and kind, but admitted that they could offer no help, as I am not taking any trial or experimental medications that would qualify for their reimbursement. I am a single mother with four children, ages 18, 20, 22, and 23. I have two sons who have graduated from college, one of them at home for the summer, deciding on his next direction, the other living and working in Idaho. My daughter will be a junior in college and my youngest son will be a senior in high school. Can ANYONE offer any help as to how they make it? God is mighty and able, and in Him all things are possible. He is more than able to do above and beyond all that we would dare ask, hope, or think. I am trusting in Him for all things. My fellow sojourners, if you can offer your insight, I would welcome it. Thank you for listening.

(Dx. with IPF 11/07)