RemedySpot.com

Re: The Rash on my Hand

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Jane,

Well I hope that you get some relief with the Aquaphor. I'm sure the pharmacist told you but Aquaphor is nothing like Lotrimin. Aquaphor's main ingredient is petroleum jelly (vaseline-that's why it's so greasy) and Lotrimin is an anti-fungal. Have you asked your doctor about the rash?

Mine started way back in the fall of 04 long before I had any respiratory symptoms. I tried absolutely everything. My dermotologist in NY treated me with anti-fungals, topical steroids, etc etc etc. Nothing made any difference at all. When I was finally diagnosed with the pulmonary fibrosis and was put on the high doses of predinsone, the rash on my hands vanished. It stayed gone until I had been off the prednisone for almost a year. When Dr. on at Duke saw it, he called it "mechanics hand" and said it's usually associated with a connective tissue disease. That would explain why it went away when I was on the prednisone. As I've said before it's currently not too bad. It comes and goes from day to day but it's not much more than an annoyance at the moment. If it gets worse (more like it was back in 04 and 05) Dr. on says they will biopsy it and hopefully get some answers on which connective tissue disease I have.I

hope the Aquaphor helps. Usually something like that helps if it's just excessively dry irritated skin. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Beth

Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

Change everything. Love and Forgive

The Rash on my Hand

Beth,

One of my friends looked at the rash on my hand and she told me it looked like the rash that she has had. She thought it was caused by a fungus and tried Lotrimin (OTC) and also changed towels and/or used paper towels whenever her hands needed drying. Her rash went away and she made sure no one used her towels and now her whole family makes sure they change hand towels every day and use their own.

I went to my pharmacy this evening and my pharmacist looked at my card (that shows I'm in a study), There is a list of medications that I cannot use while I am in the study and lotrimin was on the list. She suggested that I try Aquaphor. I am going to try it at night because it is so greasy. And I am going to change my towels. I just hope it works.

Toodles!

Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgirl