RemedySpot.com

Elisa-My 2 cents on lung biopsy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

About lung biopsy.... There is no one size fits all answer. Much will depend on what you want to gain from the biopsy and your general overall condition.

When I had my biopsy done I was already extremely ill. I was already hospitalized and actually much less stable than I am now. The surgeon began with the intent of doing a VATS. That plan was abandoned when I reacted badly to the anesthesia and they ended up doing the faster though more invasive open lung biopsy. I was on a ventilator for 2 days post-op and have little to no memory of any of that. My memories begin with them taking me off the vent and extubating me. I had a chest tube for 4 days post-op. I was in the icu 5 days post op and then in a regular room for another week after that. My pain was well-controlled and once the stitches were removed I've had no further issues with pain or discomfort.

In spite of everything I have no regrets and would definitely do it again. It gave me my diagnosis of fibrotic nsip and allowed that diagnosis to be confirmed at both Columbia Pres in NYC and at Duke in NC. Many people feel very differently from me. They've had ongoing pain issues for months and months and don't feel they gained any significant information from the biopsy. Many (but not all) drug trials require pathological confirmation of diagnosis which of course means you have to have a biopsy so that would be a consideration for some folks. In the end it's a personal decision and one that you can only make for yourself. I am an information nut. I have a need to know. Not everyone is like that. As far as recovery goes, alot depends on your overall condition. The healthier you are and the more lung function you still have, the easier your recovery will be in general. It's definitely a trauma to your lungs. They will remove several

chunks of lung tissue (sorry that sounds gross) and that is something that takes time to recover from more when your lungs are already compromised by disease.

Beth

Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

Change everything. Love and Forgive

Gynne's Update> To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com> Date: Friday, June 13, 2008, 6:58 AM> > > > > > > > > Oh, how great to hear that Gynne is getting to travel! & nbsp; Nice to hear how she is doing also. & nbsp; I'm a person that may have to consider a transplant, and love to keep tract of her input. & nbsp; Again, Thanks, Gynne for being so loyal to the rest of us.> & nbsp;> You gave me a great idea about using thin

gloves for driving. & nbsp; I've had a pre-cancerous spot removed from one of my hands already. & nbsp; I try to use sunscreen, but I also use hand santizer all the time, so most of it gets removed. & nbsp; Gloves are a much better answer. & nbsp; Thanks! & nbsp; This is what we learn from each other on this board, how to LIVE with this terrible disease.> & nbsp;> I also like how you use one e-mail to respond to many people, Gynne. & nbsp; I seem to have many responses, but hate to do one-at-a time e-mails.> & nbsp;> Gynne, I am the person who e-mailed you who also had Dr. Rosenblatt as a doctor in the past. & nbsp; I hope that group is being good to you as you recover!!> & nbsp;> Sherry , Age 64> NSIP 11'98 via Open Lung Biopsy, Bronchiectasis, PBC (liver autoimmune disease), PAH 2008, Oral Lichen

Planus>