RemedySpot.com

The Empowered Patient

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi everybody!

A few weeks back I mentioned a radio program I had listened to featuring the author of this book. Dr. A Hallisy. Dr Hallisy is a dentist whose daughter fought a 10 year battle with a form of pediatric eye cancer called retinoblastoma. I purchased a copy of The Empowered Patient and I have to say it was the best $18 (on Amazon.com) that I ever spent.

This book details all that we can and should do as patients to safeguard our own health and safety. There are chapters on infection control, medical errors, second opinions, the healthcare team (which goes into tremendous detail about the levels of training that various medical professionals have. This is important information, not all MD's are the same, nor are all nurses) Her final summarizing chapter alone is worth the price of the book. Each chapter has bullet pointed "action steps", simple things we can do to protect ourselves.

I just wanted to put this information out there for anyone who's interested. It's hard to be sick and have to advocate for ourselves but if we must, we must. What's great about this book is that though Dr. Hallisy is obviously a highly educated professional, she writes as a lay person and the book is very accessible and easy to read. She learned a lot in advocating for her daughter and then did even more research. This book is the fruit of all that effort and I'm happy to be one of the beneficiaries of all that work!

Beth

Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

Change everything. Love and Forgive