RemedySpot.com

Re:Welcome back n

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear n,

Your course sounds a lot like mine -- I was diagnosed in 5/06, have now deteriorated to lower resting O2, and am also 63.

You do not need all the elaborate tests -- particularly not a lung biopsy -- to see a pulmonologist or to become even a transplant patient. I am considering transplant and go in the next 5 weeks for 4 days of testing at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC, but no lung biopsy. The only really dramatic test is a heart catheterization, which is needed to determine pulmonary hypertension and also whether there are coronary artery blockages that need to be corrected before transplant.

I have been seeing pulmonologists regularly for the last two years -- my primary pulmonologist, two pulmonologists at Columbia-Presbyterian in the transplant program (one left for Pennsylvania), and one at Hopkins (I paid for that myself -- but the rest was covered by insurance).

You should certainly see a pulmonolgist with your Korean records and apply for disability -- once you are accepted (and there is no doubt that you will be-- we are waive throughs), the income payments are retroactive to time of application.

Despite my case, I am still working, so I have not applied for disability, but I would otherwise apply.

Best,

Wayne Hening

63, NYC, IPF 5/08**************Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today. (http://www.fanhouse.com/fantasyaffair?ncid=aolspr00050000000020)

Guest guest

Dear n,

I had another thought after I sent the last post.

I also think, if you are not working and have limited means, that you should look into obtaining medicaid. I think every state has some sort of medicaid program, though eligibility may vary. You may find that there are problems if you have savings or other resources and may be required to "spend down" to obtain coverage. I think there is also medicaid coverage for someone with very expensive medical care, as could be true of someone with IPF, who is not truly at the poverty level.

I would also look into whether you could get a backdating of your disability claim, since you were out of the country when your condition developed. I have no idea if this is possible. But there may be some sort of other pathway for those with clearly irreversible disease.

Best,

Wayne Hening

63/NYC/IPF 5/06**************Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today. (http://www.fanhouse.com/fantasyaffair?ncid=aolspr00050000000020)

Guest guest

Social Security

We aren't impossible and we aren't waive throughs. However, if we meet the diagnostic levels, we generally will be approved with no problem. However, for those of us with PF, here are the guidelines. Unlike many diseases there are tables published.

B. Chronic restrictive ventilatory disease, due to any cause, with the FVC equal to or less than the values specified in Table II corresponding to the person's height without shoes. (In cases of marked spinal deformity, see 3.00E.);

Table II

Height without Shoes (centimeters)

Height without Shoes (inches)

FVC Equal to or less than (L,BTPS)

154 or less

60 or less

155-160

61-63

161-165

64-65

166-170

66-67

171-175

68-69

176-180

70-71

181 or more

72 or more

OR

C. Chronic impairment of gas exchange due to clinically documented pulmonary disease. With:

1. Single breath DLCO (see 3.00Fl) less than 10.5 ml/min/mm Hg or less than 40 percent of the predicted normal value. (Predicted values must either be based on data obtained at the test site or published values from a laboratory using the same technique as the test site. The source of the predicted values should be reported. If they are not published, they should be submitted in the form of a table or nomogram); or

2. Arterial blood gas values of PO2 and simultaneously determined PCO2 measured while at rest (breathing room air, awake and sitting or standing) in a clinically stable condition on at least two occasions, three or more weeks apart within a 6-month period, equal to or, less then the values specified in the applicable table III-A or III-B or III-C:

Table III-A

(Applicable at test sites less than 3,000 feet above sea level)

Arterial PCO2 (mm Hg) and

Arterial PO2 Equal to or Less than (mm Hg)

30 or below

31 . . . . .

32 . . . . .

33 . . . . .

34 . . . . .

35 . . . . .

36 . . . . .

37 . . . . .

38 . . . . .

39 . . . . .

40 or above

Table III-B

(Applicable at test sites 3,000 through 6,000 feet above sea level)

Arterial PO2 Equal to or Less than (mm Hg)

30 or below

31 . . ...... .

32 . . . . .

33 . . . . .

34 . . . . .

35 . . . . . .

36 . . . . . .

37 . . . . . .

38 . . . . . .

39 . . . . . .

40 or above

Table III-C

(Applicable at test sites over 6,000 feet above sea level)

Arterial PO2 equal to or less than (mm Hg)

30 or below .

31 . . . . . . .

32 . . . . . . .

33 . . . . . . .

34 . . . . . . .

35 . . . . . . .

36 . . . . . . .

37 . . . . . . .

38 . . . . . . .

39 . . . . . . .

40 or above

or

3. Arterial blood gas values of PO2 and simultaneously determined PCO2 during steady state exercise breathing room air (level of exercise equivalent to or less than 17.5 ml O2 consumption/kg/min or 5 METs) equal to or less than the values specified in the applicable table III-A or III-B or III-C in 3.02 C2.

Now, if you had COPD, following would be the criteria:

A. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease due to any cause, with the FEV1 equal to or less than the values specified in table I corresponding to the person's height without shoes. (In cases of marked spinal deformity, see 3.00E.);

Table I

Height without Shoes (centimeters)

Height without Shoes (inches)

FEV1 Equal to or less than (L,BTPS)

154 or less

60 or less

155-160

61-63

161-165

64-65

166-170

66-67