RemedySpot.com

Re: Prednisone

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Jack,

for me personally, I take Prednisone for my Crohn's Disease. I'm not on any medication for my PF...when

I do require 02 because I've been taken to hospital by ambulance they have me on 3l. I do take Asthma

Inhalers.

When I saw my lung dr, question he asked me was, when I'm on Prednisone do I see a difference in my

breathing and I told him NO, I see no difference.

Also for me, Prednisone has caused more problems...

Irene

PF 03/07 Raynaud's Disease 09/07

Crohn's Disease 03/95

---- Original Message ----

To: Breathe-Support Group <Breathe-Support >

Sent: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 7:40 pm

Subject: Prednisone

I've read many posts re Prednisone, nearly all of them negative. Are there any positives? I ask because in the three years since dx, the pulmo has not prescribed any medication nor even mentioned any. When I told my regular doctor this, he was angry and said I should have been Prenisone immediately. He thinks I should be on it now.

I have an appointment with the pulmo coming up and will bring up the issue of Prednisone. I don't have much faith in the pulmo since all he does is look at the xrays and ct scans and the breathing results and nods his head.

Obviously, if there are any positives to balance the negatives, I would want to take it. So many of you have had experience with this drug that your comments will help me decide.

Jack

79/UIP/IPF/6 - 05

Meet the new AOL.ca. Free radio, music, videos, news & entertainment – with a Canadian perspective.

Guest guest

Jack,

My experience with prednisone is positive. However (and it's a big however) I have a different type of fibrosis than you do. I have NSIP which has substantial inflammation. Prednisone is a steroidal anti-inflammatory agent and as such can reduce inflammation and stablize the illness. That has been the case for me.

If you have IPF/UIP prednisone is unlikely to help. That's according to pretty much every study that's ever been done on the issue. Your regular doctor likely just thinks someone should be doing something, anything. Most doctors have a hard time coping with the idea that there is truly not much to be done.

All this is only my opinion based on my own experience, research and your stated diagnosis of IPF/UIP. I can't remember if you've had a biopsy. If there is any doubt at all about your diagnosis, if there is some possibility it could be a different form of fibrosis all my answers could change dramatically.

Hope this helps a little.

Beth

Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

Change everything. Love and Forgive

Prednisone

I've read many posts re Prednisone, nearly all of them negative. Are there any positives? I ask because in the three years since dx, the pulmo has not prescribed any medication nor even mentioned any. When I told my regular doctor this, he was angry and said I should have been Prenisone immediately. He thinks I should be on it now.

I have an appointment with the pulmo coming up and will bring up the issue of Prednisone. I don't have much faith in the pulmo since all he does is look at the xrays and ct scans and the breathing results and nods his head.

Obviously, if there are any positives to balance the negatives, I would want to take it. So many of you have had experience with this drug that your comments will help me decide.

Jack

79/UIP/IPF/6 - 05

Guest guest

Hello Jack, The combination of Imuran, Prednisone and NAC have stabilized my IPF.

Steve 60 from WA IPF 2006 Parkinsons 2008

Alzheimers 2008

Reply-To: Breathe-Support To: Breathe-Support Group <Breathe-Support >Subject: PrednisoneDate: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 17:40:43 -0700 (PDT)

Jack

79/UIP/IPF/6 - 05

Guest guest

I have not been on it long . I do not like it . It makes my sugar high

and I am gaining weight . My doctor want to get me off it t is not used

as a treatment for Disease it is for inflammation not the lungs . I

don't think you should be on it unless you are having a hard time

breathing and only for a wile , I have been on it for about 3 weeks and

they are trying to get me off it cutting back on what I'm using . My

regular Doctor Just put me on some Spiriva and that is about it . There

is no cure that they know of . The only thing what they gave me does is

help me breath better . I go to 's Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore .

Witch is not on the top 13 and I don't know why . But they are trying

to line me up me lined up a lung transplant . There are so many test

for this . I hope I can pass them all . I am confident in what they are

telling me . If you are breathing well and try to not get sick with

anything like colds or things that will affect your lungs . Good luck

and God bless us all Walt

Guest guest

Thank you, Beth. Yes, I had a biopsy just two weeks ago which confirmed my diagnosis. I understrand that both UIP/IPF are inflammatory diseases, but I don't understand why an anti-inflammatory medicine would not help. Of course, I am still terribly ignorant about this disease, despite reading and reading. What's lacking is not having locally a knowledgable person to talk with. If it weren't for this group, I would be groping in the dark. Thanks to all.

Jack

79/UIP?IPF /6/05

Prednisone

Jack

79/UIP/IPF/6 - 05

Guest guest

Thanks, Steve. A ray of hope.

Jack

PrednisoneDate: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 17:40:43 -0700 (PDT)

Jack

79/UIP/IPF/6 - 05

Guest guest

Thanks, . I think I'll look into it.

Jack

Prednisone

Jack

79/UIP/IPF/6 - 05

Guest guest

Beth, I didn't know Durham was closer to Duke & Dr. on. That is important to me, so I'll start scanning the listings for Durham. My son works in something called somethng Triangle which is probably in Raleigh. It all sounds like one large city to me. You bet you will high on my to do list when I come down.

Jack

Re: Prednisone

Beth,

Yes, I have thought of changing pulmos, but to whom? There are several here in Bangor, but how does one make a choice? It is easy to want Dr. on - his reputation preceeds him. I see my current doctor next month and will have a more frank discussion with him before making any decision. I want him to be more forthcoming on my prognosis and what he forsees in terms of treatment or non-treatment and his rational. It may be that waiting until I relocate is the better solution

Guest guest

>Jack, I was put on prednisone & immuran when I was dx. I was stable

for 2 years. I went off the immuran & was weening off the prednisone

this last year. I was suffering from chronic sinus infections and

after a year I refused to lower dose anymore. I started at 40mg. and

was down to 6mg. On May8 my tests showed my lungs were worse. So I am

on 15mg. prednisone & immuran again. The doctor says I don't have the

kind of pf that responds to prednisone but they can't tell my why I

stayed stable for 2 years. I hate the side effects, I gained 50

lbs.but hey I am still able to do things. Sometimes I think we just

have to listen to our bodies and not let the Drs.tell us what to do.

Because frankly, I am of the oppinion they don't know what to do with

us.Sorry to hear you've joined the club,but stay positive.

Kathy53dx10/04

> Jack,

> My experience with prednisone is positive. However (and it's a big

however) I have a different type of fibrosis than you do. I have NSIP

which has substantial inflammation. Prednisone is a steroidal anti-

inflammatory agent and as such can reduce inflammation and stablize

the illness. That has been the case for me.

> If you have IPF/UIP prednisone is unlikely to help. That's

according to pretty much every study that's ever been done on the

issue.  Your regular doctor likely just thinks someone should be

doing something, anything. Most doctors have a hard time coping with

the idea that there is truly not much to be done.

> All this is only my opinion based on my own experience, research

and your stated diagnosis of IPF/UIP.  I can't remember if you've had

a biopsy. If there is any doubt at all about your diagnosis, if there

is some possibility it could be a different form of fibrosis all my

answers could change dramatically.

> Hope this helps a little.

>

>  Beth 

> Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

>  

> Change everything. Love and Forgive    

>  

>  

>

>

>

> Prednisone

>

>

> I've read many posts re Prednisone, nearly all of them negative. 

Are there any positives?  I ask because in the three years since dx,

the pulmo has not prescribed any medication nor even mentioned any. 

When I told my regular doctor this, he was angry and said I should

have been Prenisone immediately.  He thinks I should be on it now.

>  

> I have an appointment with the pulmo coming up and will bring up

the issue of Prednisone.   I don't have much faith in the pulmo since

all he does is look at the xrays and ct scans and the breathing

results and nods his head.

>  

> Obviously, if there are any positives to balance the negatives, I

would want to take it.  So many of you have had experience with this

drug that your comments will help me decide.

>  

> Jack

> 79/UIP/IPF/6 - 05

>