RemedySpot.com

Re: Free Health Care /Caro

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Wow Irene, that was a real eye-popper!! I thought it meant everything for medical care in Canada was free!! Even though some copays in Canada are in effect, still though I have Aetna and I had to pay $1200 just to the doc for my lung biopsy in January and that was after insurance payment. (I am still paying oS that!!) I guess everything sounds good when you first here FREE, but I guess you have to check out all the ins and outs and the pluses and the minuses. I have been contemplating filing for Disability through SS now that I have been diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome, but am still afraid of what will happen. I feel

like deep down whenever I file for Disability that it means I am giving up on being able to work and that these diseases have gotten the best of me. Does that make any sense?

Well, I am calling it a night. Hope you all have a good night and I promise to try and keep in touch better now that I am finally caught up. I love you all so much!!

Caro

Subject: Free Health Care /CaroTo: Breathe-Support Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 11:06 PM

Hi Caro, I hope you'll feel better soon! The following is from my personal opinion and experiences. I think you need to reconsider if you want to live in Canada or not. Not to scare you, it's a very nice place to live, but you have to take everything in consideration, healthcare, job, weather etc...If ever you get the chance, compare the 2 healthcare systems (US & Canada) and if you want add Europe or Mexico and compare all four. You'll find that sometimes, if something is free, it doesn't mean it's always the best thing.

There have been stories in the news were people have gone to the US on their own, patients have been to receive treatment because the waiting time is too long.

Living in Canada, there's advantages and disadvantages as I'm sure it's in the US too. example: healthcare. Yeah, we do have free health care...waiting times for access to tests, treatments, dr's...it can be as long as 3-6 months. We have dr's from here leaving and going to the US to work. Personally I have had 2 dr's that left to go work in the US.

Long waiting times in ER's, dr's offices, which they're trying to decrease...no success yet, I've met patients which have waited 4, 5, 8, or 10+hrs in ER waiting room and then when they get called to go on a stretcher, they wait approximately the same time 4 or 5+....I've also seen patients which are severely ill walk out the of the ER room..once I have experienced in the waiting room the ER nurse called 5 patients in a row and I had to tell her, they left and then my name was called.

I've seen patients which have spent 3 days in ER hallway because a room wasn't available on the floor

In walk in clinics, I have experienced a 2.5hr waiting time. Even though, our health care is free...everytime our health care card is swiped the dr gets paid a certain amount, depending if it's a first time visit or a follow-up visit from the government.

Appointment with my new Rheumatologist took 5 months to get. Had to wait 1.5 hrs in waiting to see him. When I finally saw him it only took 15 minutes.

There have been stories, were people have died in the waiting room waiting to see a dr. I have met a patient who had stroke and was told to wait in the waiting room...for 3hrs I was waiting in the waiting room to see the ER dr, she was waiting, I was called in and she was still waiting and she was there even before I got there....In beginning of this year, I was put in the hallway on a stretcher, my chart got lost in ER and I was completetly forgotten... and had to ask help from the construction people. The second time, my chart was put in the garbage, the nurse personally told me because I wasn't there when my dr had called in and I was late.

There are certain things that we do pay...

-Eye dr's

-Drug prescriptions (unless you are covered by insurance or drug plan which is provided by the government),

-In hospital for semi or private rooms, you have to pay for the phone in room and tv

-Immunizations

-If a dr performs a procedure in the office and needs to freeze your hand...you'll pay for the med, if they do certain injections

you pay

-If you need a note for school or work you'll pay

-If you need school, work or passport forms to be filled-out by a dr you pay

-If you want to see a nutrionist in the office you pay...you want to see him/her in hospital you'll have to wait a few months

During my admission (26 days) for the phone in my room, I paid $84.00 and for the TV, I paid $205.00

-If you need an ambulance to take you to ER there's a co-pay, you need to pay after they send you the bill

For example: lets say you have broken your foot leg or hand:

-you need to be pay for the cast, that was put on in ER

-you need to pay for your crutches or a walking boot

-if you need physiotherapy for one of the above mentionned, you can get treatment within a week, you'll pay though $60+ for each visit or if you want to receive physiotherapy in hospital you'll wait for many months

IrenePF 03/07 Raynaud's Disease 09/07Crohn's Disease 03/95 Asthma 02/92

Canada

(unknown)

Hello All:If anyone remembers my brief appearance in this forum I can'timagine why you do, but you have a fantastic memory! I was diagnosed with IPF in April, 2006, and a few months later went off to teach English in S. Korea. I had almost two wonder-ful years there, before the IPF caught up with me and I landedin a Korean hospital...this was one of the more interesting experiences I had in Korea, and most of the two years was inter-esting! Fortunately, Korean doctors are well trained, and although medical services are delivered differently, they are on a par with medical care here, with the exception of cost. My 12 days in the hospital,including 2 in intensive care, cost the equivalent of $320 US and my Korean health insurance paid another $650. My share included the 24hr a day services of a pbyongwon-a, or substitute family member, as I had no family in S.K...amazing how one

cancommunicate without speaking each other's language...Anyway, I'm back in the US with blood oxygen hovering at 90-91(and lower, of course, if I do something like walk across a room...)I do not have health insurance, and only a modest amount of money,most of which I need to live indoors and all that good stuff. In the US I have not seen a pulmonologist, and where I live in N.C. no pulmonologist will see you without doing a lot of invasive (and very expensive)procedure s. Several doctors in S. Korea, and one US internist told me that I would not benefit from these procedures.Another friend, an RN, has told me that I MUST, MUST, MUST have alung biopsy and a couple of other things, I'm an idiot if I don't do it even if I have to live in a tent yada, yada, yada. However, she got a little iffy on the answer to "How will this benefit me?"Can anyone here suggest a concrete benefit to me of

these procedures? The best I've gotten from a doctor was "Well, then we'll know what's going on in your lungs." When my follow-up question was "Will it change how you treat me?" the response was, "well, maybe..." spoken in tones that lead me to think the answer was really "well, no, not at all."The trade-off for me is that I might rapidly outlive my money with even a very short time horizon if I'm spending $$$$$ on medical care. Medicaid is not possible in N.C. and I don't want to move to another state where I know no one. S.S. Disability is problematical because 1) they told me I had to be diagnosed by a pulmonologist (and have all those tests) and 2) it would take two years to be approved and I can't receive Social Security Retirement while waiting. (I'm 63)As of right now I'm not on any medication (I was given steroids inS.K., didn't respond) but about to start on oxygen as needed. And

onemore thing...I really have no interest in a lung transplant.How do you all vote on lung biopsy, bronchoscopy and whatall for some-one in my financial position? And why?n

Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo! Answers.

Yahoo! Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!

Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger

Guest guest

Caro,

I applied for sickness benefits before surgery. I got refused because when they sent the paper for me to appear at their office I was already admitted in hospital. When I was discharged, in the mail there was a letter stating "your benefits have been cancelled because you failed to appear". I called and told them I was in hospital, I can send the evidence and even bring you the letter....it didn't help...so I didn't receive any benefits.

It does make sense everytime you file for disability etc...because it means you're losing part of your independence, at the same time also you need to look at your situation and say:

_Can I still afford to work?

_Will SS be enough to live on? and paying expenses?

_Is working causing more problems to my health?

there's so many things to consider and so many questions...you'll know what is best for you, because you know your

situation better! I'm sure though whether you decide to file for SS or not...there's always other things you can do, which the diseases won't interfere as much.

When I have a hard decision to make, I take a blank piece of paper or do it in my mind, divided in 4 columns Pro's/Con's/Maybe/Not Even Think About It...when you start though you need to have a clear mind and concentrate only on that...

HugsIrenePF 03/07 Raynaud's Disease 09/07Crohn's Disease 03/95 Asthma 02/92

(unknown)

Hello All:If anyone remembers my brief appearance in this forum I can'timagine why you do, but you have a fantastic memory! I was diagnosed with IPF in April, 2006, and a few months later went off to teach English in S. Korea. I had almost two wonder-ful years there, before the IPF caught up with me and I landedin a Korean hospital...this was one of the more interesting experiences I had in Korea, and most of the two years was inter-esting! Fortunately, Korean doctors are well trained, and although medical services are delivered differently, they are on a par with medical care here, with the exception of cost. My 12 days in the hospital,including 2 in intensive care, cost the equivalent of $320 US and my Korean health insurance paid another $650. My share included the 24hr a day services of a pbyongwon-a, or substitute family member, as I had no family in S.K...amazing how one

cancommunicate without speaking each other's language...Anyway, I'm back in the US with blood oxygen hovering at 90-91(and lower, of course, if I do something like walk across a room...)I do not have health insurance, and only a modest amount of money,most of which I need to live indoors and all that good stuff. In the US I have not seen a pulmonologist, and where I live in N.C. no pulmonologist will see you without doing a lot of invasive (and very expensive)procedure s. Several doctors in S. Korea, and one US internist told me that I would not benefit from these procedures.Another friend, an RN, has told me that I MUST, MUST, MUST have alung biopsy and a couple of other things, I'm an idiot if I don't do it even if I have to live in a tent yada, yada, yada. However, she got a little iffy on the answer to "How will this benefit me?"Can anyone here suggest a concrete benefit to me of

these procedures? The best I've gotten from a doctor was "Well, then we'll know what's going on in your lungs." When my follow-up question was "Will it change how you treat me?" the response was, "well, maybe..." spoken in tones that lead me to think the answer was really "well, no, not at all."The trade-off for me is that I might rapidly outlive my money with even a very short time horizon if I'm spending $$$$$ on medical care. Medicaid is not possible in N.C. and I don't want to move to another state where I know no one. S.S. Disability is problematical because 1) they told me I had to be diagnosed by a pulmonologist (and have all those tests) and 2) it would take two years to be approved and I can't receive Social Security Retirement while waiting. (I'm 63)As of right now I'm not on any medication (I was given steroids inS.K., didn't respond) but about to start on oxygen as needed. And

onemore thing...I really have no interest in a lung transplant.How do you all vote on lung biopsy, bronchoscopy and whatall for some-one in my financial position? And why?n

Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo! Answers.

Yahoo! Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!

Guest guest

Hi Irene!! Glad to hear from you!! How are you doing? I hope you are doing well. The main thing right now that is concerning me with my job other than having awful pain from just sitting in one spot for too long and getting a horrible backache is that with all the meds I am on right now, it is affecting my brain!! and especially my concentration. I am forgetting things a lot more lately than I used to and that really worries me cuz I type medical records for a living and if I mess up it is going to affect someone's healthcare if it goes unnoticed which could happen because I send the reports directly over the Internet and they print out straight at the clinic. I would just die if I did something wrong to mess up someone else's healthcare!! I guess the bottom line is I am doubting my capability more and more to do the

job because the pain meds, etc., do affect my thinking. I make it a habit of looking at my superbill sheet they hand you at the doctor's office every time you check out just so I can see what they checked or have written on it. When I went on Tuesday for my checkup, she had checked depression, carpal tunnel syndrome, Sjogren's syndrome, pulmonary fibrosis, arthritis, migraines, neuropathy, and chronic medication use and can't even remember the rest. Maybe that would help if I decide to go ahead and try. I absolutely love to sew on good days when I feel like it. I make dolls, blankets, clothes, pillows, and have an embroidery machine, so I feel like there are lots of things I could do to make extra money if I had to. I also like to make wreaths for the holidays and sometimes I make dolls and put them in baskets with artificial flower arrangements. I have always wished I could start my own business, even if

part time, but I don't really think I would try that now. Too many bad days, but I could still do it part time I think. Living in a small town, word gets around pretty fast, so that would be a plus. I just finished making a chef doll last week (I still have to make the shoes), but it gives me something to do instead of mope whenever I am not working. Anyway, there are lots of things to think about and I think your list is a good idea with the pros and cons. I think I will give it a try. Thanks again, Irene!! Take care!!

Caro

ASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08 SJOGREN SYNDROME 07/08Mississippi

From: Diane <dtpaul00yahoo (DOT) ca>Subject: Re: (unknown)To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 5:15 PM

I just have to say that my heart breaks for those who do not have heath insurance. I know that NO health care system is perfect but all doctors and hospitals are free in Canada. I know that there are other issues but at least care is available to everyone. I wish there was something I could do to help. Diane IPF June 07New Brunswick, Canada

(unknown)