RemedySpot.com

Re: MB/ PFT Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thanks . I asked that question, it was the first thing I thought of. I was told (assuming it's valid), they have a computer program that adjusts for any weight loss or gain so it appears that this improvement is 'real' as opposed to a fluke of the numbers because of my weight loss. I wanted to make sure I was comparing apples to apples and not apples to oranges!

Beth

Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

Change everything. Love and Forgive

Tired but happyTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 6:43 PM

Hi everyone!

As you all know I had my 3 month check today at Duke. I had a PFT the results of which really surprised me. The spirometry portion was improved somewhat. The FVC for instance went from 55% of expected to 59 % of expected. Nice but nothing to get too excited about. My volumes were all well above 50% of expected. My TLC for example was 59% of expected up from 45%. Very odd.

But most curious was my DLCO. Normally the diffusion doesn't really improve for us, it generally only goes down. Mine went from 47% of expected back in March to 59% of expected today. The respiratory therepist had me do everything over and over to make sure we were getting valid results. Needless to say I'm very happy with this. It may be a one time thing and I could go right back down next time but for now I'm very happy.

Everything else was good, I've lost 36 pounds, my crackle has not returned and Dr. on is very pleased. I don't have to go back for 4 whole months unless I run into trouble.

After my appointment I met up with Ann from Charlotte and her husband. She mostly lurks on the board but she got in touch with me since she had an app't at Duke today too. So we had a nice chat over coffee this afternoon. Her tests went really well and she sees the doctor tomrrow. Keep your fingers crossed for her, she's nervous.

So that's the story, I'm exhausted but relieved that I got good news! Thanks for the support everyone!

Beth

Guest guest

Here are some of the 'actual' numbers:

My FVC in March: 1.69 liters

My FVC today: 1.83 liters

My TLC in March: 1.99 liters

My TLC today: 2.67 liters

My DLCO in March: 9.2 ml/mmHg/min

My DLCO today: 11.7 ml/mmHg/min

Beth

Tired but happyTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 6:43 PM

Hi everyone!

As you all know I had my 3 month check today at Duke. I had a PFT the results of which really surprised me. The spirometry portion was improved somewhat. The FVC for instance went from 55% of expected to 59 % of expected. Nice but nothing to get too excited about. My volumes were all well above 50% of expected. My TLC for example was 59% of expected up from 45%. Very odd.

But most curious was my DLCO. Normally the diffusion doesn't really improve for us, it generally only goes down. Mine went from 47% of expected back in March to 59% of expected today. The respiratory therepist had me do everything over and over to make sure we were getting valid results. Needless to say I'm very happy with this. It may be a one time thing and I could go right back down next time but for now I'm very happy.

Everything else was good, I've lost 36 pounds, my crackle has not returned and Dr. on is very pleased. I don't have to go back for 4 whole months unless I run into trouble.

After my appointment I met up with Ann from Charlotte and her husband. She mostly lurks on the board but she got in touch with me since she had an app't at Duke today too. So we had a nice chat over coffee this afternoon. Her tests went really well and she sees the doctor tomrrow. Keep your fingers crossed for her, she's nervous.

So that's the story, I'm exhausted but relieved that I got good news! Thanks for the support everyone!

Beth