RemedySpot.com

Re: Travel Scooter???

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Joan

I don't have a scooter as you describe but the individual I bought my powerchair from did have one. He could fold his and put it in even his compact car. He used it anytime he went to amusement parks like Six Flags or the zoos or places like that with his kids. I also have no idea about what the airlines will and can do so would suggest you talking to them. I would think though that something like that would be very useful as long as you're able to fold and lift it. My problem would be the inability to handle even that weight. Thats like some of the ones that disassemble. I can't handle the weight of the pieces. That said I can't imagine anywhere you couldn't get help in taking it out or putting it in your vehicle if needed. I've found traveling with an oxygen reservoir and having to ask for help at every hotel to be no problem, but in many ways a very pleasant experience as I've met and talked to those assisting me to and from my room. So, if it is a bit much to handle never hesitate to ask for assistance.

I did find the Easy Travel Elite at 63.8 pounds (but 75 I believe with battery) but the heaviest piece is only 29. The only lighter scooter I'm aware of is the Lexus Light at 54 pounds.

http://www.planetmobility.com/store/scooters/planet/elite/index.html

Like most it has many accessories available such as an oxygen carrier. A small scooter like this has many positives in terms of ease of use and getting around. It does have only two weaknesses to be aware of. The first is that you need to follow the manual very carefully in riding it as if you don't it will tilt over sideways. Think of a tricycle. Now thats just not trying to go over things in the wrong way (at an angle) and being careful on inclines. The other is the relatively short battery life which is 8-10 miles. Normally that should be plenty. You could also get a spare battery if you expect to use it a lot in a day. Now, the nice thing about its battery is that you can remove it easily and take it inside to charge it without having to take the scooter.

Overall, I applaud your thinking. I know many of us can walk quite well for normal day to day activities but would not be able to do certain things easily and thats when it comes in handy. Just be careful you don't over rely on it and use it when you could and should be walking to get the exercise. However, I've been known when I needed to hurry to use a scooter in Wal-Mart on the same day I used the treadmill at home. I needed to quickly get to the far back side of the store and back out.

Here I found an excellent source for information on air travel with a scooter.

http://www.access-able.com/tips/air.htm

>> Hello -> I've been prescribed oxygen to ease my breathing difficulty when moving around and will be getting a 'travel scooter' as I fly to/from NC/CA. The kind I'm considering is an Easy Travel, that weighs 52 lbs. total, and folds similar to a child's stroller to be put in a small car trunk or to take on the plane (I think as baggage, but no extra charge due to handicap). > > Has anyone used this brand or a similar one that you recommend?> > Thanks for any input.> > JoanM NC> > > >