RemedySpot.com

Re: Aroma memories

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Steve... just popping in to say hi...twice.

Hope your day is a good one and that Vicky is doing better.

Jumping in piles of manure? Wheeeeeew.

MamaSher, age 69. IPF 3-06, OR./ NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

RE: Aroma memories

Kerry, you are a very good writer. this evoked childhood memories of lilac for me. The lilacs were planted by the clothes lines so sheets and towells smelled of lilac. This of course was before clothes dryers. One of the other aroma memories is of cow manure. Always brings memories of my brothers and I jumping out of the barn and landing in piles of manure to soften our falls. Great fun, but no wonder the city kids were standoffish. Anyway with the Alzheimers I never now when something like your writing will trigger something for me. I'll smile the rest of the day. Thanks.

Steve 60 from WA IPF 2006 Parkinsons 2008

Alzheimers 2008

From: "Kerry" <kerrygeron>Reply-To: Breathe-Support To: Breathe-Support Subject: Aroma memories - Gita and Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 16:11:27 -0000

Gita, as soon as I saw your post about being associated w/ the jasmine I thought that was perfect. I must tell you about my connection w/ jasmine. You know how certain fragrances evolk certain memories or feelings? For me, jasmine is a really important and powerful aromatic memory. It means home, my Dad, childhood, spring/summer, absolutely happy thoughts. At my parents home, just outside the side kitchen door to the backyard, just outside our dining room window was a huge vine that my Dad always called "night blooming jasmine". I have never looked it up, I assume there is a difference because I've never smelt anything just like it. I would walk out the door and breathe in deeply again and again... just couldn't take it in enough. WOW, now that I think about it... a memory of breathing really deeply... as if that isn't a happy enough memory. It bloomed at night during the spring/summer (hey, it's southern California hard for me to remember the exact time but it was WONDERFUL!!!) It is one of my absolutely most perfect childhood memories. Now, some of the other childhood favorites are the same as s favorite flowers. Along w/ the jasmine vine was a gardenia bush right on the other side of the walkway into the backyard. Funny note on different reactions... I found out in our adulthood, that my sister always hated that gardenia bush... said it was too strong... and I loved it. I loved that gardenia bush and the flowers, but I do not like anything w/ a gardenia "fragrance"... just the real thing. I also loved how completely purely WHITE the flowers were, like nothing could be so white and they were silky to the touch and soft... such a complete memory. Carnations are another favorite and one that makes me think of my Dad. I remember my Dad growing carnations on the lowest tier of his backyard garden and they had such a strong clove spiciness, no storebought ones could ever compare. A final thought of childhood "aroma" memories was on the other coast... visiting my grandfather in Massachusetts. He had lots of apple trees on his farm and the smell of them at the end of their season was one of the times we regularly visited. It's the smell of them fallen off the tree on the ground and heated by the sun... where the sugar in them is really developed and the bees are buzzing all around, to describe it maybe like an applesauce smell, but sooo intense. I remember after flying there and finally arriving at his house in Saugus, MA I would get out of the car and the smell would overwhelm you... I knew I was at Grampie's house.Kerry37 IPF '01 S. IN> > > >> > > >> > > > I agree wholeheartedly, nothun' WRONG with the FLOWER choice> > > BUT......> > > > was Jack choosing it BECAUSE of the lovely Flower or the > effect of> > > it's> > > > dried flower HEAD or LEAF??????? [:-/] [O:)] Watcha say Jack?> > > >> > > > SGIO> > > >> > >> >>

Guest guest

Sher, Hey this was before xbox, nintendo etc. Tv even only broadcast on saturday and sunday evenings. We had to make our own games. Had no money when on the farm. The big old barn's loft was at least 2 stories high so we could only play this when manure piled up at least 1 story. Had to be late winter or spring cause then it was spread on the fields as fertilizer.

Steve 60 from WA RugosaIPF 2006 Parkinsons 2008

Alzheimers 2008

Reply-To: Breathe-Support To: <Breathe-Support >Subject: Re: Aroma memoriesDate: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 13:01:10 -0700

Hi Steve... just popping in to say hi...twice.

Hope your day is a good one and that Vicky is doing better.

Jumping in piles of manure? Wheeeeeew.

MamaSher, age 69. IPF 3-06, OR./ NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Kerry, you are a very good writer. this evoked childhood memories of lilac for me. The lilacs were planted by the clothes lines so sheets and towells smelled of lilac. This of course was before clothes dryers. One of the other aroma memories is of cow manure. Always brings memories of my brothers and I jumping out of the barn and landing in piles of manure to soften our falls. Great fun, but no wonder the city kids were standoffish. Anyway with the Alzheimers I never now when something like your writing will trigger something for me. I'll smile the rest of the day. Thanks.

Alzheimers 2008

From: "Kerry" <kerrygeron>Reply-To: Breathe-Support To: Breathe-Support Subject: Aroma memories - Gita and Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 16:11:27 -0000

Gita, as soon as I saw your post about being associated w/ the jasmine I thought that was perfect. I must tell you about my connection w/ jasmine. You know how certain fragrances evolk certain memories or feelings? For me, jasmine is a really important and powerful aromatic memory. It means home, my Dad, childhood, spring/summer, absolutely happy thoughts. At my parents home, just outside the side kitchen door to the backyard, just outside our dining room window was a huge vine that my Dad always called "night blooming jasmine". I have never looked it up, I assume there is a difference because I've never smelt anything just like it. I would walk out the door and breathe in deeply again and again... just couldn't take it in enough. WOW, now that I think about it... a memory of breathing really deeply... as if that isn't a happy enough memory. It bloomed at night during the spring/summer (hey, it's southern California hard for me to remember the exact time but it was WONDERFUL!!!) It is one of my absolutely most perfect childhood memories. Now, some of the other childhood favorites are the same as s favorite flowers. Along w/ the jasmine vine was a gardenia bush right on the other side of the walkway into the backyard. Funny note on different reactions... I found out in our adulthood, that my sister always hated that gardenia bush... said it was too strong... and I loved it. I loved that gardenia bush and the flowers, but I do not like anything w/ a gardenia "fragrance"... just the real thing. I also loved how completely purely WHITE the flowers were, like nothing could be so white and they were silky to the touch and soft... such a complete memory. Carnations are another favorite and one that makes me think of my Dad. I remember my Dad growing carnations on the lowest tier of his backyard garden and they had such a strong clove spiciness, no storebought ones could ever compare. A final thought of childhood "aroma" memories was on the other coast... visiting my grandfather in Massachusetts. He had lots of apple trees on his farm and the smell of them at the end of their season was one of the times we regularly visited. It's the smell of them fallen off the tree on the ground and heated by the sun... where the sugar in them is really developed and the bees are buzzing all around, to describe it maybe like an applesauce smell, but sooo intense. I remember after flying there and finally arriving at his house in Saugus, MA I would get out of the car and the smell would overwhelm you... I knew I was at Grampie's house.Kerry37 IPF '01 S. IN> > > >> > > >> > > > I agree wholeheartedly, nothun' WRONG with the FLOWER choice> > > BUT......> > > > was Jack choosing it BECAUSE of the lovely Flower or the > effect of> > > it's> > > > dried flower HEAD or LEAF??????? [:-/] [O:)] Watcha say Jack?> > > >> > > > SGIO> > > >> > >> >>

Guest guest

Steve... oh it sounds like fun ok but I still say, whoooooweeee. lol

Alzheimers 2008