RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Apria and Bid Process for Durable Medical Equipment

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Bruce... I for one really appreciate your informative posts! These posts bring to my attention what I would not know otherwise, except in little sound bites on the news.

It's scary. For those of us who will be affected, we wonder what "we" will do....

MamaSher, age 69. IPF 3-06, OR./ NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Re: Apria and Bid Process for Durable Medical Equipment

Bad News

39 Senators blocked the attempt to end filibuster and send this bill on to the senate floor on Friday. Understand this doesn't just affect those of you on medicare as insurers often follow and the financial situation of providers impacts all.

Medicare Rights Center President M. today expressed frustration and disappointment that 39 Republican senators continue to block passage of bipartisan legislation that would stabilize payments and access to doctors serving people with Medicare and improve Medicare benefits, particularly for those living on low incomes. Last night, the Senate fell two votes short of the 60 votes needed to bring the Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act to the Senate floor for an up-or-down vote. Earlier in the week, the House of Representatives passed the same bill with a vote of 355 to 59, a margin well in excess of the two-thirds necessary to override a threatened veto by President Bush. The Senate's failure to pass this legislation means a 10.6 percent pay cut for doctors will go into effect July 1. In addition, people with Medicare recovering from a stroke or other injury will face an arbitrary cap on the rehabilitation therapy they can receive, since a policy allowing exceptions to the cap also expires July 1. Over 1.5 million older adults and people with disabilities living on less than $1,171 per month ($1,576 for a couple) now face being dropped from programs that help pay their Part B premiums and prescription drug costs. "The 39 Republican senators who lined up behind President Bush to oppose this sensible and humane bill are agents of harm to older Americans," Mr. said. "People with Medicare, as well as the doctors who care for them, should know that and tell them that as they go home for their July 4th recess. The vote shows a callous disregard for the older adults and people with disabilities in their states and a craven submission to the insurance industry." President Bush threatened to veto the legislation, objecting to the Medicare benefit improvements in the bill, the payment reductions for insurance companies offering Medicare private health plans and the consumer protections for enrollees in these plans. The bill would have improved coverage of mental health and preventative services under Medicare and removed bureaucratic obstacles that prevent low-income people with Medicare from receiving assistance with premiums and copayments for medical care and prescription drugs. Medicare Rights Center is a national, not-for-profit consumer service organization that works to ensure access to affordable health care for older adults and people with disabilities through counseling and advocacy, educational programs and public policy initiatives.

> > > >> > > > Hello everyone> > > > Just a note about Apria. You know how much trouble some of us have> > had> > > with them...especially me and Joyce. Well, something new has> happened.> > > >> > > > Apria states it was a Corporate decision:> > > > Apria will no longer provide liquid oxygen to patients. Because of> > the> > > increased fuel and delivery men wages. It is not profitable for> them.> > > So, they have made the decision that if you are now on liquid> oxygen,> > > that they will replace liquid with a new concentrator which will> > handle> > > high flow. That way it will not have to be refilled etc.> > > >> > > > Here's my problem with this. Concentrated oxygen was not good> enough> > > for me. I needed and still need liquid. And, portable oxygen tanks> do> > > not go high enough or last long enough for anyone to go to the Dr.,> > > church, etc. Apria states that if you need this much oxygen, then> you> > do> > > not need to be leaving the house.> > > >> > > > Well...if they think we will just let them arbitrarily make us> > > housebound..well they need to think again. My husband will go to the> > > local TV station, write letters and do whatever is necessary. He has> > > already called Cigna to complain and he is writing a letter. He will> > > also contact an attorney.> > > >> > > > Apria said a letter will be delivered to us probably tomorrow, and> > > will tell us how much time we have to appeal, although they do not> > think> > > an appeal will do anything. As we were told. THIS IS A CORPORATE> > > DECISION!> > > >> > > > Apria!!!! I get so tired of fighting with them. So very tired.> > > >> > > > > > > >> > >> >>