RemedySpot.com

Re: Steve and O2

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Steve,

One thing you wrote disturbs me, no really upsets me an awful lot. I really don't understand your doctors contention that supplemental O2 would make you "use it as a crutch and my lungs would deteriorate faster." That is absolute hogwash. (If I wasn't trying to be polite, I'd use more colorful language.) Have they done a 6 minute walk? Have they tested your sats at all? If you need O2, you need it. If your sats fall below 90 when you perform some activities you need O2 for those activities. If your ankle is broken you NEED crutches, if you have a restrictive lung disease you most likely at some point will NEED oxygen. If you need it and don't have it, THAT is when you will deteriorate faster. Your heart, liver, kidneys, large muscles will all sustain damage from low 02 levels in your body.

I join you in being anxious for your oximeter to arrive. Maybe it will arrive in time for your meeting with your PCP. If you don't need the oxygen, then fine but if as you suspect you do need it at least some of the time, you will have the ammunition you need.

Good luck to you and please keep us posted. We're behind you all the way!

Beth

Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

Change everything. Love and Forgive

Mama-Sher

Mama-Sher,How are you doing?Toodles!Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgirl

Guest guest

Please see other posts and thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt. The statement you refer to is my recollection, and my words, and is only meant for oximeter readings in the 90's, I have been going to very respected doctors almost weekly for the last 2 years. Some days(most) I have very poor memory but will again ask my pulmonologists if a patient wants ox in the low 90's why they wont rx it.

Again thanks for the normal response to what I have to research more.

Steve59 from WA IPF 2006 6 min walk-91 NOT ON OX

Reply-To: Breathe-Support To: Breathe-Support Subject: Re: Steve and O2Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 07:05:07 -0700 (PDT)

Steve,

One thing you wrote disturbs me, no really upsets me an awful lot. I really don't understand your doctors contention that supplemental O2 would make you "use it as a crutch and my lungs would deteriorate faster." That is absolute hogwash. (If I wasn't trying to be polite, I'd use more colorful language.) Have they done a 6 minute walk? Have they tested your sats at all? If you need O2, you need it. If your sats fall below 90 when you perform some activities you need O2 for those activities. If your ankle is broken you NEED crutches, if you have a restrictive lung disease you most likely at some point will NEED oxygen. If you need it and don't have it, THAT is when you will deteriorate faster. Your heart, liver, kidneys, large muscles will all sustain damage from low 02 levels in your body.

I join you in being anxious for your oximeter to arrive. Maybe it will arrive in time for your meeting with your PCP. If you don't need the oxygen, then fine but if as you suspect you do need it at least some of the time, you will have the ammunition you need.

Good luck to you and please keep us posted. We're behind you all the way!

Beth

Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

Change everything. Love and Forgive

Mama-Sher

Mama-Sher,How are you doing?Toodles!Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgirl