Deb hailee had the test done and they basically lay them on a table and strap

them down, if your place is kids freindly they will have or should have vcr

with movies for them to watch. Hailee fell asleep on hers. They have this

camera thing over her stomach the whole time and you could watch the pictures

on the monitor it was sort of cool.

Hailee has severe gastric delay emptying and we have had many abouts with

hyploric b infections due to it.

Good luck

anyway, can someone tell me what its like for the kids...i know they drink something and watch it for an hour...but what are the chidlren doing during that hour?

Hi Deb,

Mamie Rose had this done in July. It was no big deal. She drank and then hung out for a while (I think it was over an hour). Every 15 min or so (I can't remember exactly how long) they took pictures. It wasn't continuous. They had a VCR and lots of video choices. I assume this would vary from hospital to hospital. The experience was not traumatic for her at all. Good luck with it. The g tube has helped Mamie Rose tremendously. She's gained 10 pounds since July and has WAY more energy. We realize now that she was chronically undernourished for years and that eating was far more difficult for her than we realized. I wish we'd done it sooner.

Maggie

My son Branden had the gastric emptying scan prior to his g-tube placement and Fundo. surgery. Basically what they do is they have them drink or eat something with this radioactive dye in it. They then have the child lie on this table thing that has a large camera like object above it that is over the child's abdomen. Branden had it for 2 hours. At 2 hours your stomach should be empty. Branden's was completely full. Nothing had moved at all. Since he was having a g-tube placed with the Fundo. our surgeon did a Pyloromyotomy... some kids have pyloroplasty. I'm not sure why some do different things. Basically this is supposed to open the bottom part of the stomach so food can move more freely through. The reason for doing this is that if there's a g-tube then it defeats the purpose because it will cause the child to reflux and if the child is having a Fundo.... then you definitely want the Pyloro. surgery.

Anyway, I hope that helped and didn't confuse you too much. If you have any questions let me know.

I'm pretty sure Maggie had that prior to the G-tube placement. They

gave Maggie Barium in a bottle, and we watched it go in on a monitor.

She was laying flat w/ an X-ray machine over her. She actally

tolerated it very well.

We were very hesitant about putting in the G-tube. We started with an

NG-tube. We saw results insantly. It's the best decision we've ever

made medically for Maggie.

Best wishes,

Best of luck,

Jeff

Deb,

I had a Gastric Emptying Test done when I was 17. We had to bring a scrambled egg with us from Mc's and they mixed some nuclear medicine in it and I had to eat as much as I could. I have a hard time consuming much volume of food, so I just ate what I could. Then they had me lay flat on my back on a table with a x-ray looking device positioned over my abdomin and left me laying there for about 45 mins. My mom was in there with me and I think we could talk. It was no big deal at all. The results are instant and theres no pain in involved. Hope this helps some.