> I GUESS WE WILL FIGURE IT OUT THEN. THE SMOKE WAS SO

> BAD TODAY THAT YOU COULDN'T SEE THE MOUNTAINS. BUT IT

> DIDN'T SMELL SMOKEY. HUGS, CARO

>

> __________________________________________________

>

• 5 years later...
Guest guest

Thanks Beth!! I am so glad to be back!! Caro Beth wrote: Welcome back! You've been missed! Beth Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Change everything. Love and Forgive CaroAsthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08Mississippi

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

Caro

First, what reason did she give for not doing a Pap smear. ly,

unless there was some risk in doing it then I'd want it. I know some say

we do too much testing but even if the chances are slim of a problem if

the test doesn't involve risk I want it. Now, of course, I don't want a

Pap smear.

Second, a bit of a pet peeve for me and I know sometimes it has to be

this way, but its doctors doing too much prescribing beyond their field.

Now, i'm not overly critical of her prescribing Cymbalta because many

find it very helpful, but its like every psychiatric drug, a bit of a

shot in the dark, so judge what it does for you.

However, her comments on restless limb and neuropathic pain I do

question in spite of not being a doctor. But, I have both and have had

all the medications normally prescribed. If the Cymbalta works for that

too, then fine. But, in spite of the tv ads, Requip is not the

medication most neurologists would start with. Requip was initially for

Parkinson's and recently approved for restless limbs. However, it is

strong and can have strong side effects. In fact, the side effects can

do like many medications and mimic the disease its designed for, in this

case Parkinsons. Now, I'm not saying it doesn't work for many with

restless limbs. What I am saying is Neurontin (Generic is Gabapentin)

has been prescribed for neurological issues of many types including

restless limbs for decades and the dosages you take for restless limbs

are so small compared to those that can be taken that side effects are

rare. Now, the newer medication being widely prescribed is Lyrica.

However, if Neurontin works, no reason to move up to the more expensive

and potential side effects, even though Lyrica side effects are

generally minimal. If those two don't work then it becomes the

traditional Parkinson's medications, Requip or Mirapex. Both of those

are stronger with stronger side effects.

Now, I'm going to go one step further. Xanax for depression? Xanax is

for anxiety, including anxiety associated with depression. But, for

basic depression may actually increase the depression if not taking an

anti-depressant too. Xanax is widely prescribed by primary physicians

but my experiences and discussions with psychiatrists say it is not

today their first choice for any ongoing problem with anxiety, but more

appropriate for very occasional use.

If I sound like I'm questioning your doctor, I am, as someone who has

tried every medication discussed above and nearly every psychiatric

medication or family of medications there is.

I'm not playing doctor but I am saying that I would not take Requip

except under the direction of a neurologist nor Xanax for an extended

period except under the direction of a psychiatrist.

Ok, as to may need to be on oxygen for exertion, then why didn't she do

a six minute walk to find out? You need the Kentucky Derby thing.

> > Bruce....I'll answer in the morning....gee whiz, AI is on!

> > Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR.

> > Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

> >

> > ----- Original Message -----

> > .

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Caro

> > ASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08,

> RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08

> > Mississippi

> >

> >

> >

> ----------------------------------------------------------\

> ------

> > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.

Try

> it now.

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Caro

> ASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08,

RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08

> Mississippi

> ---------------------------------

> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try

it now.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Caro

> ASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08,

RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08

> Mississippi

>

> ---------------------------------

> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try

it now.

>

Guest guest

Thanks so much Bruce. I still agree. I think I did need the Kentucky Derby thing, because my previous family doc said that as long as your ovaries remain, you should have a Pap every 3 years, especially if you are still sexually active. I talked to my son last night, too, and he is afraid that I am on too many meds and some of them may interact against the others. I am so confused it is unreal. I have never been to a psychiatrist, but I did see a psychologist for awhile a few years back and they didn't put me on anything but an antidepressant.

I am still just holding out for June at UAB and hope for the best. Have you heard anything from Chicago yet?

CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

Subject: Re: CaroTo: Breathe-Support Date: Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 10:40 PM

CaroFirst, what reason did she give for not doing a Pap smear. ly,unless there was some risk in doing it then I'd want it. I know some saywe do too much testing but even if the chances are slim of a problem ifthe test doesn't involve risk I want it. Now, of course, I don't want aPap smear.Second, a bit of a pet peeve for me and I know sometimes it has to bethis way, but its doctors doing too much prescribing beyond their field.Now, i'm not overly critical of her prescribing Cymbalta because manyfind it very helpful, but its like every psychiatric drug, a bit of ashot in the dark, so judge what it does for you.However, her comments on restless limb and neuropathic pain I doquestion in spite of not being a doctor. But, I have both and have hadall the medications normally prescribed. If the Cymbalta works for thattoo, then fine. But, in spite of the tv ads, Requip is not

themedication most neurologists would start with. Requip was initially forParkinson's and recently approved for restless limbs. However, it isstrong and can have strong side effects. In fact, the side effects cando like many medications and mimic the disease its designed for, in thiscase Parkinsons. Now, I'm not saying it doesn't work for many withrestless limbs. What I am saying is Neurontin (Generic is Gabapentin)has been prescribed for neurological issues of many types includingrestless limbs for decades and the dosages you take for restless limbsare so small compared to those that can be taken that side effects arerare. Now, the newer medication being widely prescribed is Lyrica.However, if Neurontin works, no reason to move up to the more expensiveand potential side effects, even though Lyrica side effects aregenerally minimal. If those two don't work then it becomes thetraditional Parkinson's

medications, Requip or Mirapex. Both of thoseare stronger with stronger side effects.Now, I'm going to go one step further. Xanax for depression? Xanax isfor anxiety, including anxiety associated with depression. But, forbasic depression may actually increase the depression if not taking ananti-depressant too. Xanax is widely prescribed by primary physiciansbut my experiences and discussions with psychiatrists say it is nottoday their first choice for any ongoing problem with anxiety, but moreappropriate for very occasional use.If I sound like I'm questioning your doctor, I am, as someone who hastried every medication discussed above and nearly every psychiatricmedication or family of medications there is.I'm not playing doctor but I am saying that I would not take Requipexcept under the direction of a neurologist nor Xanax for an extendedperiod except under the direction of a

psychiatrist.Ok, as to may need to be on oxygen for exertion, then why didn't she doa six minute walk to find out? You need the Kentucky Derby thing.> > Bruce....I'll answer in the morning....gee whiz, AI is on!> > Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR.> > Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!> >> > ----- Original Message -----> > .> >> >> >> >> >> > Caro> >

ASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08,> RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08> > Mississippi> >> >> >> ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -\> ------> > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.Try> it now.> >>>>>>>> Caro> ASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08,RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08> Mississippi> ------------ --------- --------- ---> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Tryit now.>>>>>>> Caro> ASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08,RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08> Mississippi>> ------------ --------- --------- ---> Be a better friend,

newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Tryit now.>

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Thanks so much Bruce. I still agree. I think I did need the Kentucky Derby thing, because my previous family doc said that as long as your ovaries remain, you should have a Pap every 3 years, especially if you are still sexually active. I talked to my son last night, too, and he is afraid that I am on too many meds and some of them may interact against the others. I am so confused it is unreal. I have never been to a psychiatrist, but I did see a psychologist for awhile a few years back and they didn't put me on anything but an antidepressant.

I am still just holding out for June at UAB and hope for the best. Have you heard anything from Chicago yet?

CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

Subject: Re: CaroTo: Breathe-Support Date: Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 10:40 PM

CaroFirst, what reason did she give for not doing a Pap smear. ly,unless there was some risk in doing it then I'd want it. I know some saywe do too much testing but even if the chances are slim of a problem ifthe test doesn't involve risk I want it. Now, of course, I don't want aPap smear.Second, a bit of a pet peeve for me and I know sometimes it has to bethis way, but its doctors doing too much prescribing beyond their field.Now, i'm not overly critical of her prescribing Cymbalta because manyfind it very helpful, but its like every psychiatric drug, a bit of ashot in the dark, so judge what it does for you.However, her comments on restless limb and neuropathic pain I doquestion in spite of not being a doctor. But, I have both and have hadall the medications normally prescribed. If the Cymbalta works for thattoo, then fine. But, in spite of the tv ads, Requip is not

themedication most neurologists would start with. Requip was initially forParkinson's and recently approved for restless limbs. However, it isstrong and can have strong side effects. In fact, the side effects cando like many medications and mimic the disease its designed for, in thiscase Parkinsons. Now, I'm not saying it doesn't work for many withrestless limbs. What I am saying is Neurontin (Generic is Gabapentin)has been prescribed for neurological issues of many types includingrestless limbs for decades and the dosages you take for restless limbsare so small compared to those that can be taken that side effects arerare. Now, the newer medication being widely prescribed is Lyrica.However, if Neurontin works, no reason to move up to the more expensiveand potential side effects, even though Lyrica side effects aregenerally minimal. If those two don't work then it becomes thetraditional Parkinson's

medications, Requip or Mirapex. Both of thoseare stronger with stronger side effects.Now, I'm going to go one step further. Xanax for depression? Xanax isfor anxiety, including anxiety associated with depression. But, forbasic depression may actually increase the depression if not taking ananti-depressant too. Xanax is widely prescribed by primary physiciansbut my experiences and discussions with psychiatrists say it is nottoday their first choice for any ongoing problem with anxiety, but moreappropriate for very occasional use.If I sound like I'm questioning your doctor, I am, as someone who hastried every medication discussed above and nearly every psychiatricmedication or family of medications there is.I'm not playing doctor but I am saying that I would not take Requipexcept under the direction of a neurologist nor Xanax for an extendedperiod except under the direction of a

psychiatrist.Ok, as to may need to be on oxygen for exertion, then why didn't she doa six minute walk to find out? You need the Kentucky Derby thing.> > Bruce....I'll answer in the morning....gee whiz, AI is on!> > Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR.> > Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!> >> > ----- Original Message -----> > .> >> >> >> >> >> > Caro> >

ASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08,> RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08> > Mississippi> >> >> >> ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -\> ------> > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.Try> it now.> >>>>>>>> Caro> ASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08,RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08> Mississippi> ------------ --------- --------- ---> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Tryit now.>>>>>>> Caro> ASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08,RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08> Mississippi>> ------------ --------- --------- ---> Be a better friend,

newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Tryit now.>

Guest guest

I don't know but just be sure they check it once in a while. I don't mind shots or whatever but NOT if I don't NEED themLove and Prayers, PeggyIPF  2004,  Florida"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back,  Faith looks up." Maybe I won't have to have them the rest of my life then!!CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi--- On Fri, 4/18/08, Peggy  <pac1773cfl (DOT) rr.com> wrote:From: Peggy <pac1773cfl (DOT) rr.com>Subject: Re: Mammo and bone scanTo: Breathe-Support Date: Friday, April 18, 2008, 4:51 PMHi Caro, I gave myself B12 shots for about 8 or 9 months as per my pcp. The last time my pulm Dr. did my blood work I askher to check my B12.. it was perfect. I hadn't had a shot for months so that wasn't a factor.  Have it checked again in a few months. The shots are so small I did it and hardly felt a thing. Love and Prayers, PeggyIPF  2004,  Florida"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back,  Faith looks up."I guess I must be a wuss or something.  I am afraid to give myself an injection.  Guess if it came down to it, I would do it, but I am just too scared.  You do need to schedule for a mammo if you have cysts. Mine was just routine screening cuz I have a family history of breast cancer in my mom's sister.  She had both breasts removed in her 40s.  I should have thought about the deep blue sea when I was lying there.  I was actually trying to read the expression on the nurse's face when she was looking at my monitor results, even though I know that is not a good thing to do.CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi--- On Fri, 4/18/08, Irn3189aim (DOT) com <Irn3189aim (DOT) com> wrote:From: Irn3189aim (DOT) com <Irn3189aim (DOT) com>Subject: Re: Mammo and bone scanTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Friday, April 18, 2008, 4:37 PMHi Caro,With the Vit B12 injections, I get them also once a month. I have my family dr give me the injections.. .I used to do the injectionsmyself at home.Whenever I had a bone scan, I just lay there thinking of the blue sea and were I wanted to be instead of laying on the table. Now I don't get them as often because I'm not on Prednisone anymore and can't never go back on it.As far as the Mammo, ouch! I need to have them done once a year, because of cysts. I haven't done it this year and I'm overdue by4 months.Most probably after my recovery, I will make an appointment to have it done.Irene---- Original Message ----From: carowade4444 <carowade4444@ yahoo.com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 4:09 pmSubject: Mammo and bone scanHi all,Well, I had the mammo and bone scan done today. Oh, how I just loved getting my "B-B's" as she called it, smushed up in that steam press!! She actually pinched me!! OUCH!! I know she didn't mean to, she was really nice, but still --!! The bone scan was a breeze. All I had to was just lay there and the thing scanned my bones. The worst part was at the end when she had to get a better view of my hip and I had to twist my left foot to turn in to facing the right foot and I had to lay that way for what seemed like forever. God, I have an awful cramp by the time I was done. I got a phone call from the doc right before I left to go for the x-rays about my blood work from Wednesday and the nurse said my B12 level was extremely low and they want to start me on B12 injections. Have to get one Monday, one Tuesday, and one Wednesday, then once a week for a month, and then once a month for the rest of my life.And that is all I know for you. I took the Cymbalta last night. My legs didn't ache, but I still didn't sleep very well. I kept waking up off and on, probably slept maybe 3 or 4 hours total but at least without pain, so I guess that was a good thing. I woke up this morning like I was in a fog or something. Felt like I was in the Twilight Zone!! I am thinking, man, if the 30 mg does that what in the world is going to happen when I up it to 60 next week??!! Guess only time will tell. At least I am not feeling so nauseous today.How is everyone out there doing today? R we ready for the weekend?!! We have tornado warnings and flood warnings here AGAIN. Has rained here nearly all day and is storming now. They are predicting bad hail storm in another hour or so, so I probably won't be on this PC while it is storming.Hope you all have a great night and a wonderful weekend!! Thanks so much for listening!!CaroMeet the new AOL.ca. Free radio, music, videos, news & entertainment – with a Canadian perspective.Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

Caro,

Don't be afraid to talk with a professional. You can say anything you want to

s/he. The

secret thoughts and the fears we keep to ourselves. Want to be brave for

friends and family,

want to protect loved ones, don't want to worry those close to us. Whether it

is right or

wrong I think we all have issues we don't want to discuss. But a professional!

A good one

will listen to everything you need to say. Sometimes my brain is like a gerbil

on a wheel

running as fast as he can and the only way I can slow him down is by saying the

words out

loud, to the group or my therapist.

Hugs and prayers,

Kathie

Guest guest

The more I think about it, the more I think a therapist might help at this point. I know it couldn't hurt. I think I will check into that this week and see what I can find out.

Thanks, Kathie!!CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

Subject: Re: CaroTo: Breathe-Support Date: Sunday, May 4, 2008, 11:30 PM

Caro,Don't be afraid to talk with a professional. You can say anything you want to s/he. The secret thoughts and the fears we keep to ourselves. Want to be brave for friends and family,want to protect loved ones, don't want to worry those close to us. Whether it is right or wrong I think we all have issues we don't want to discuss. But a professional! A good one will listen to everything you need to say. Sometimes my brain is like a gerbil on a wheel running as fast as he can and the only way I can slow him down is by saying the words out loud, to the group or my therapist.Hugs and prayers,Kathie

Guest guest

Caro

My therapist is absolutely a lifesaver and was long before PF. I

couldn't think of making this journey without her. For instance right

now I see her every couple of weeks. If I were to agree to try

prednisone I would schedule her three times a week until the effect was

known and tell her to tell me to stop it at any point she saw me

deteriorating toward where I once was. It's also so useful to have

someone who can even now pick up on changes in mood and help figure out

why. Last time I saw her I was a worried about something that had

nothing to do with PF and it was so good to be able to talk to someone

who fully understood me and my worries and how it fit me and how I

needed to protect against it and set boundaries.

Guest guest

I am still thinking a therapist is a good idea, too. CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

Subject: Re: CaroTo: Breathe-Support Date: Monday, May 5, 2008, 11:42 AM

CaroMy therapist is absolutely a lifesaver and was long before PF. Icouldn't think of making this journey without her. For instance rightnow I see her every couple of weeks. If I were to agree to tryprednisone I would schedule her three times a week until the effect wasknown and tell her to tell me to stop it at any point she saw medeteriorating toward where I once was. It's also so useful to havesomeone who can even now pick up on changes in mood and help figure outwhy. Last time I saw her I was a worried about something that hadnothing to do with PF and it was so good to be able to talk to someonewho fully understood me and my worries and how it fit me and how Ineeded to protect against it and set boundaries.