RemedySpot.com

Obstructive versus Restrictive Lung Disease Definitions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Gang,

Just checked my understanding of these 2 disease processes & the question of O2 & CO2 problems.

Obstructive Lung Disease (eg Asthma, COPD, Empyhsema): cause a NARROWING or BLOCKAGE of the airways resulting in a decrease in EXHALED air flow.

Restrictive Lung Disease cause

1. loss of lung tissue

2. decrease in lung's ability to expand

3. Decrease in the lung's ability to TRANSFER oxygen & carbon dioxide within the blood.

hope that simplifies matters!

GIO

Guest guest

Thanks , I've been trying to remember what those two words were. I've heard them before on this board, but for the life of me they were gone. We are going to rehab for his first meeting with the director. He knows her from Cardiac rehab, but it is good for him to ask if certain exercises are for restrictive or obstructive patients. He knows that now, thanks to you. K Illinois wrote: Hi Gang, Just checked my understanding of these 2 disease processes & the question of O2 & CO2 problems. Obstructive Lung Disease (eg Asthma, COPD, Empyhsema): cause a NARROWING or BLOCKAGE of the airways resulting in a decrease in EXHALED air flow. Restrictive Lung Disease cause 1. loss of lung tissue 2. decrease in lung's ability to expand 3. Decrease in the lung's

ability to TRANSFER oxygen & carbon dioxide within the blood. hope that simplifies matters! GIO K Central Il Hubby ipf- 2006 As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord 14

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Hi K,

It's really MORE about the LIMITS that having a particular type of Lung Disease means for each patient.

Obstructive & Restrictive Lung Patients may well DO the SAME exercise BUT they may need to keep a eye out for different things. WE MUST watch for O2 desaturation & not OVERSTRAIN our heart/lung function.

Good luck with the Rehab...they'll know what they're doing....I got tremendous benefits from attending my sessions

in Oz

> Hi Gang,> Just checked my understanding of these 2 disease processes & the question of O2 & CO2 problems.> Obstructive Lung Disease (eg Asthma, COPD, Empyhsema): cause a NARROWING or BLOCKAGE of the airways resulting in a decrease in EXHALED air flow.> Restrictive Lung Disease cause> 1. loss of lung tissue> 2. decrease in lung's ability to expand> 3. Decrease in the lung's ability to TRANSFER oxygen & carbon dioxide within the blood.> hope that simplifies matters!> GIO> > > > > > K> Central Il> Hubby ipf- 2006> As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord> 14> > > ---------------------------------> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.>

Guest guest

Thanks , Thanks for the information. He starts rehab on Friday. He could have started tomorrow, but has a pcp apt. I'm glad he is going and I think it will be good for him. The director said it is going to hardest thing for him him to get out and go, even when he doesn't feel good. He wowed them when he pulled out his oximeter. They want to know where he got this for 65.00. I just smiled. He is feeling still pretty good. It is the weather I am sure. k Central Il wrote: Hi K, It's really MORE about the LIMITS that having a particular type of Lung Disease means for each patient. Obstructive & Restrictive Lung Patients may well DO the SAME exercise BUT they may need to keep a eye out for different things. WE MUST watch for O2 desaturation & not OVERSTRAIN our heart/lung function. Good luck with the

Rehab...they'll know what they're doing....I got tremendous benefits from attending my sessions in Oz > Hi Gang,> Just checked my understanding of these 2 disease

processes & the question of O2 & CO2 problems.> Obstructive Lung Disease (eg Asthma, COPD, Empyhsema): cause a NARROWING or BLOCKAGE of the airways resulting in a decrease in EXHALED air flow.> Restrictive Lung Disease cause> 1. loss of lung tissue> 2. decrease in lung's ability to expand> 3. Decrease in the lung's ability to TRANSFER oxygen & carbon dioxide within the blood.> hope that simplifies matters!> GIO> > > > > > K> Central Il> Hubby ipf- 2006> As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord> 14> > > ---------------------------------> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.> K Central Il Hubby ipf- 2006 As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord 14

Guest guest

K, it's great that his mood & outlook have improved just as he's about to embark on the Rehab.....tell hime he's got a BIG CHEER SQUAD here

GIO

> > Hi Gang,> > Just checked my understanding of these 2 disease processes & the question of O2 & CO2 problems.> > Obstructive Lung Disease (eg Asthma, COPD, Empyhsema): cause a NARROWING or BLOCKAGE of the airways resulting in a decrease in EXHALED air flow.> > Restrictive Lung Disease cause> > 1. loss of lung tissue> > 2. decrease in lung's ability to expand> > 3. Decrease in the lung's ability to TRANSFER oxygen & carbon dioxide within the blood.> > hope that simplifies matters!> > GIO> > > > > > > > > > > > K> > Central Il> > Hubby ipf- 2006> > As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord> > 14> > > > > > ---------------------------------> > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.> >> > > > > > > K> Central Il> Hubby ipf- 2006> As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord> 14> > > ---------------------------------> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.>

Guest guest

He laughed, as I do all the time girl. K Central Il. wrote: K, it's great that his mood & outlook have improved just as he's about to embark on the Rehab.....tell hime he's got a BIG CHEER SQUAD here GIO > > Hi Gang,>

> Just checked my understanding of these 2 disease processes & the question of O2 & CO2 problems.> > Obstructive Lung Disease (eg Asthma, COPD, Empyhsema): cause a NARROWING or BLOCKAGE of the airways resulting in a decrease in EXHALED air flow.> > Restrictive Lung Disease cause> > 1. loss of lung tissue> > 2. decrease in lung's ability to expand> > 3. Decrease in the lung's ability to TRANSFER oxygen & carbon dioxide within the blood.> > hope that simplifies matters!> > GIO> > > > > > > > > > > > K> > Central Il> > Hubby ipf- 2006> > As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord> > 14> > > > > > ---------------------------------> > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.>

>> > > > > > > K> Central Il> Hubby ipf- 2006> As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord> 14> > > ---------------------------------> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.> K Central Il Hubby ipf- 2006 As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord 14