before or after. While it could be breathing related it could as easily

be neurological in some manner. For instance it could be some form of

small seizures which would easily be controllable. These would be

detected through brain MRI in most cases. But the place I think he would

start would be the study which done right would provide date but also

observation by professionals who would have an idea what they were

seeing. Make sure its an excellent center that doesn't try to study and

solve in one night but has an all night program (two is even better) and

then brings you back in if CPAP or such is needed in order to fit it.

As with snoring and most sleep issues, its a condition that severely

impacts the life of two people. I'll assure you your wife isn't sleeping

well.

It could be nightmares, again treatable. A good sleep center would

correlate the movements with the measurements and could tell if the

movements corresponded to dreams or nightmares.

I see people suffering through such sleep misery, so much of it

treatable, and I have confidence yours is with the proper doctors

diagnosing it. Why neurologist instead or pulmonologist or respiratory

doctor of some form? Well, because if its breathing it will be picked up

fine and read by either. But if its neurological I don't have the

confidence the respiratory doctors would be as in tune.

A good sleep study both measures and videos every minute of the night.

Make sure it is a center that does do video (yes infrared and can see

right through your sheets and pajamas).

>

> On second thought......the longer I think about this and consult with

the pros I'm becoming certain that this is not an oxygen issue.....I

actually wish it was. The problem is that I'm having violent dreams,

thrashing around in bed and really putting Eva in danger. Started about

a year ago but it was infrequent......maybe once a month or less. I'd

start moaning, and twitching, then start throwing punchs. I never

remember throwing the punch, don't remember the dreams, but I do vaguely

remember being in a fight. I actually hit Eva on the shoulder a few

months ago, hurt her, bruised her........then this past Friday night

began 3 nights of this crap.....Fri nite I squeezed her arm so hard that

my handprint is still there today. Sat nite I hit her on the top of the

head. Sunday nite I punched the head of the bed and damned near broke my

hand. So....some of you are wondering why the hell she puts up with

it.....why doesn't she kick me out of bed.....it's just not that simple,

> this is an extraordinary woman. However I am sleeping in another bed

until this gets sorted out. Sunday I was a mess......I've worked mental

health for 22 years and there are a couple PhD clinicians here that are

excellent. Got together with them and an MD on Sunday. Got a full

physical yesterday. They don't know...........they believe it has

nothing to do with Eva but simply depends on which side on laying on at

the time. Left side....she gets it, right side it's the head of the bed,

a gun case (what? guns in the room with this moron??) a bedside stand

one time. We went back to when I finished cancer treatment and morphed

into the IPF. I had lots of horrible nightmares, recurring nightmares

about death, me dying, my funeral, violent scenarios. I got " shrunk " at

the time. Really a no brainer......I was seething with rage about what

was happening to me and awake I could keep a lid on it, asleep

........out it came. As I adjusted to the diagnosis they subsided. Now

> this........this is really long winded.....the docs theorize that

either it's low sats, causing momentary panic, triggering a dream, etc,

etc. or low blood sugar. Eva says they usually happen around 2:30 or

3am, likely when I'm coming out of the first, and deepest sleep on the

way to the 1st REM. Well I was still up at 2am, stuck my

finger....89...not low blood sugar. Also I wore the O2 hose all night,

which I don't ordinarily do. I know, I know....I've read you folks

talking about what your sats do at night, but I sleep great.....figured

it must be okay. At 5am, while sucking the hose I did my twitch, moan

dance. No pinchs, but it was discouraging......sats were good. Tonight

we have a machine from inpatient at the hosp that monitors, records and

prints my sats all night. So, I'll sleep with no hose and we'll

see..........jeez.....is there a question there????? Does this ring any

bells for anyone? I don't suffer apnea. The next step is into Anchorage

for a sleep study.

> I know many of you have had sleep studies. Have these been related to

apnea or some other sleep disturbance? The sleep study is not without

problems. First, how do I know I can perform for them? Will I have to

stay there until I do?

>

> Hey Bruce Buddy.....I'm countin' on you here..........this has to be

resolved. Separate beds will protect Eva but my hands can take only so

many wall strikes. I should say.......I am not a violent man, 2 actual

physical fights in 63 years. So this violent stuff is out of character.

Especially now, when retirement has made such a change in my stress

level, my disease has been stable for 8 months, maybe a year.

>

> Now that I've told my life story.......5'10 " , 200, brn, brn, bat left

handed . I sure hope someone has an idea.. Ah yes........almost

forgot....did any of you experience symptoms during sleep, other than

apnea, as a result of low sats......I know....If I'm asleep how would I

know? You know what I mean.........thanx ahead of time.....

>

> jim IPF 05

> alaska

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try

it now.

>

Guest guest

Hi ,

I don't have any personal experience of this (I get sleep paralysis instead - always one to be different) but I was watching an interesting documentary about people with different sleeping disorders and there were a couple of men on there with similar stories to yours.

For them (and I realise that this might not be the same for you) it was a form of almost sleepwalking. When you go to sleep and dream, two things happen in your brain. One shuts down the consious side, and one shuts down the mobility side. (In dogs the mobility part is mearly damped down, which is why they can twitch and 'run' in their sleep) With sleep paralysis (which was why I was watching the program) The mobility part remains shut down after you have regained consiousness. With the men with the similar stories to yours, it was the opposite. This is also what happens in sleepwalking. As with most sleeping disorders it's usually triggered by stress, but sometimes they simply don't know what's causing it. The docs were able to prescribe meds which damps down the mobility side when your asleep.

You will need a sleep study for them to find out what the problem is, so I hope all goes well with that.

Love Ze xx>> On second thought......the longer I think about this and consult with the pros I'm becoming certain that this is not an oxygen issue.....I actually wish it was. The problem is that I'm having violent dreams, thrashing around in bed and really putting Eva in danger. Started about a year ago but it was infrequent......maybe once a month or less. I'd start moaning, and twitching, then start throwing punchs. I never remember throwing the punch, don't remember the dreams, but I do vaguely remember being in a fight. I actually hit Eva on the shoulder a few months ago, hurt her, bruised her........then this past Friday night began 3 nights of this crap.....Fri nite I squeezed her arm so hard that my handprint is still there today. Sat nite I hit her on the top of the head. Sunday nite I punched the head of the bed and damned near broke my hand. So....some of you are wondering why the hell she puts up with it.....why doesn't she kick me out of bed.....it's just not that simple,> this is an extraordinary woman. However I am sleeping in another bed until this gets sorted out. Sunday I was a mess......I've worked mental health for 22 years and there are a couple PhD clinicians here that are excellent. Got together with them and an MD on Sunday. Got a full physical yesterday. They don't know...........they believe it has nothing to do with Eva but simply depends on which side on laying on at the time. Left side....she gets it, right side it's the head of the bed, a gun case (what? guns in the room with this moron??) a bedside stand one time. We went back to when I finished cancer treatment and morphed into the IPF. I had lots of horrible nightmares, recurring nightmares about death, me dying, my funeral, violent scenarios. I got "shrunk" at the time. Really a no brainer......I was seething with rage about what was happening to me and awake I could keep a lid on it, asleep .......out it came. As I adjusted to the diagnosis they subsided. Now> this........this is really long winded.....the docs theorize that either it's low sats, causing momentary panic, triggering a dream, etc, etc. or low blood sugar. Eva says they usually happen around 2:30 or 3am, likely when I'm coming out of the first, and deepest sleep on the way to the 1st REM. Well I was still up at 2am, stuck my finger....89...not low blood sugar. Also I wore the O2 hose all night, which I don't ordinarily do. I know, I know....I've read you folks talking about what your sats do at night, but I sleep great.....figured it must be okay. At 5am, while sucking the hose I did my twitch, moan dance. No pinchs, but it was discouraging......sats were good. Tonight we have a machine from inpatient at the hosp that monitors, records and prints my sats all night. So, I'll sleep with no hose and we'll see..........jeez.....is there a question there????? Does this ring any bells for anyone? I don't suffer apnea. The next step is into Anchorage for a sleep study.> I know many of you have had sleep studies. Have these been related to apnea or some other sleep disturbance? The sleep study is not without problems. First, how do I know I can perform for them? Will I have to stay there until I do?> > Hey Bruce Buddy.....I'm countin' on you here..........this has to be resolved. Separate beds will protect Eva but my hands can take only so many wall strikes. I should say.......I am not a violent man, 2 actual physical fights in 63 years. So this violent stuff is out of character. Especially now, when retirement has made such a change in my stress level, my disease has been stable for 8 months, maybe a year. > > Now that I've told my life story.......5'10", 200, brn, brn, bat left handed . I sure hope someone has an idea.. Ah yes........almost forgot....did any of you experience symptoms during sleep, other than apnea, as a result of low sats......I know....If I'm asleep how would I know? You know what I mean.........thanx ahead of time.....> > jim IPF 05> alaska > > > ---------------------------------> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.>

Guest guest

Jim,

Do you use Ambien? People using it sometimes experience strange episodes of behavior in the night.

Tell your sweet wife to RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY.

I hope that some of your professional friends can get to the bottom of this.

Hugs, Joyce D.Pulmonary Fibrosis 1997 Bronchiectasis 2004 Pulmonary Hypertension 2008 Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (Lupus, RA, Sjogren's, etc) Rejected for Transplant 2006 .....I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palm of my hands. Isaiah 49: 15-16>> On second thought......the longer I think about this and consult with the pros I'm becoming certain that this is not an oxygen issue.....I actually wish it was. The problem is that I'm having violent dreams, thrashing around in bed and really putting Eva in danger. Started about a year ago but it was infrequent......maybe once a month or less. I'd start moaning, and twitching, then start throwing punchs. I never remember throwing the punch, don't remember the dreams, but I do vaguely remember being in a fight. I actually hit Eva on the shoulder a few months ago, hurt her, bruised her........then this past Friday night began 3 nights of this crap.....Fri nite I squeezed her arm so hard that my handprint is still there today. Sat nite I hit her on the top of the head. Sunday nite I punched the head of the bed and damned near broke my hand. So....some of you are wondering why the hell she puts up with it.....why doesn't she kick me out of bed.....it's just not that simple,> this is an extraordinary woman. However I am sleeping in another bed until this gets sorted out. Sunday I was a mess......I've worked mental health for 22 years and there are a couple PhD clinicians here that are excellent. Got together with them and an MD on Sunday. Got a full physical yesterday. They don't know...........they believe it has nothing to do with Eva but simply depends on which side on laying on at the time. Left side....she gets it, right side it's the head of the bed, a gun case (what? guns in the room with this moron??) a bedside stand one time. We went back to when I finished cancer treatment and morphed into the IPF. I had lots of horrible nightmares, recurring nightmares about death, me dying, my funeral, violent scenarios. I got "shrunk" at the time. Really a no brainer......I was seething with rage about what was happening to me and awake I could keep a lid on it, asleep .......out it came. As I adjusted to the diagnosis they subsided. Now> this........this is really long winded.....the docs theorize that either it's low sats, causing momentary panic, triggering a dream, etc, etc. or low blood sugar. Eva says they usually happen around 2:30 or 3am, likely when I'm coming out of the first, and deepest sleep on the way to the 1st REM. Well I was still up at 2am, stuck my finger....89...not low blood sugar. Also I wore the O2 hose all night, which I don't ordinarily do. I know, I know....I've read you folks talking about what your sats do at night, but I sleep great.....figured it must be okay. At 5am, while sucking the hose I did my twitch, moan dance. No pinchs, but it was discouraging......sats were good. Tonight we have a machine from inpatient at the hosp that monitors, records and prints my sats all night. So, I'll sleep with no hose and we'll see..........jeez.....is there a question there????? Does this ring any bells for anyone? I don't suffer apnea. The next step is into Anchorage for a sleep study.> I know many of you have had sleep studies. Have these been related to apnea or some other sleep disturbance? The sleep study is not without problems. First, how do I know I can perform for them? Will I have to stay there until I do?> > Hey Bruce Buddy.....I'm countin' on you here..........this has to be resolved. Separate beds will protect Eva but my hands can take only so many wall strikes. I should say.......I am not a violent man, 2 actual physical fights in 63 years. So this violent stuff is out of character. Especially now, when retirement has made such a change in my stress level, my disease has been stable for 8 months, maybe a year. > > Now that I've told my life story.......5'10", 200, brn, brn, bat left handed . I sure hope someone has an idea.. Ah yes........almost forgot....did any of you experience symptoms during sleep, other than apnea, as a result of low sats......I know....If I'm asleep how would I know? You know what I mean.........thanx ahead of time.....> > jim IPF 05> alaska > > > ---------------------------------> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.>

Guest guest

Joyce..........no ambien. I've used it in the past, briefly, really liked it. We are in separate beds. Looking back, I'm really un-proud about this, I didn't fully appreciate the effect this was having on Eva. She's been, basically, sleep deprived and it wasn't until I went there 3 nights in a row that it came to me. I know you all will identify with this..........and that is how we try to understand the effect our disease has on those that live with us and love us. Their lives have been permanently altered also. Thanx for your response. jimJoyce wrote: Jim, Do you use Ambien? People using it sometimes experience strange episodes of behavior in the night. Tell your sweet wife to RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY. I hope that some of your professional friends can get to the bottom of this. Hugs, Joyce D.Pulmonary Fibrosis 1997 Bronchiectasis 2004 Pulmonary Hypertension 2008 Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (Lupus, RA, Sjogren's, etc) Rejected for Transplant 2006 .....I will not forget

you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palm of my hands. Isaiah 49: 15-16>> On second thought......the longer I think about this and consult with the pros I'm becoming certain that this is not an oxygen issue.....I actually wish it was. The problem is that I'm having violent dreams, thrashing around in bed and really putting Eva in danger. Started about a year ago but it was infrequent......maybe once a month or less. I'd start moaning, and twitching, then start throwing punchs. I never remember throwing the punch, don't remember the dreams, but I do vaguely remember being in a fight. I actually hit Eva on the shoulder a few months ago, hurt her, bruised her........then this past Friday night began 3 nights of this crap.....Fri nite I squeezed her arm so hard that my handprint is still there today. Sat nite I hit her on the top of

the head. Sunday nite I punched the head of the bed and damned near broke my hand. So....some of you are wondering why the hell she puts up with it.....why doesn't she kick me out of bed.....it's just not that simple,> this is an extraordinary woman. However I am sleeping in another bed until this gets sorted out. Sunday I was a mess......I've worked mental health for 22 years and there are a couple PhD clinicians here that are excellent. Got together with them and an MD on Sunday. Got a full physical yesterday. They don't know...........they believe it has nothing to do with Eva but simply depends on which side on laying on at the time. Left side....she gets it, right side it's the head of the bed, a gun case (what? guns in the room with this moron??) a bedside stand one time. We went back to when I finished cancer treatment and morphed into the IPF. I had lots of horrible nightmares, recurring nightmares about death, me dying, my funeral, violent

scenarios. I got "shrunk" at the time. Really a no brainer......I was seething with rage about what was happening to me and awake I could keep a lid on it, asleep .......out it came. As I adjusted to the diagnosis they subsided. Now> this........this is really long winded.....the docs theorize that either it's low sats, causing momentary panic, triggering a dream, etc, etc. or low blood sugar. Eva says they usually happen around 2:30 or 3am, likely when I'm coming out of the first, and deepest sleep on the way to the 1st REM. Well I was still up at 2am, stuck my finger....89...not low blood sugar. Also I wore the O2 hose all night, which I don't ordinarily do. I know, I know....I've read you folks talking about what your sats do at night, but I sleep great.....figured it must be okay. At 5am, while sucking the hose I did my twitch, moan dance. No pinchs, but it was discouraging......sats were good. Tonight we have a machine from inpatient at the

hosp that monitors, records and prints my sats all night. So, I'll sleep with no hose and we'll see..........jeez.....is there a question there????? Does this ring any bells for anyone? I don't suffer apnea. The next step is into Anchorage for a sleep study.> I know many of you have had sleep studies. Have these been related to apnea or some other sleep disturbance? The sleep study is not without problems. First, how do I know I can perform for them? Will I have to stay there until I do?> > Hey Bruce Buddy.....I'm countin' on you here..........this has to be resolved. Separate beds will protect Eva but my hands can take only so many wall strikes. I should say.......I am not a violent man, 2 actual physical fights in 63 years. So this violent stuff is out of character. Especially now, when retirement has made such a change in my stress level, my disease has been stable for 8 months, maybe a year. > > Now that I've told

my life story.......5'10", 200, brn, brn, bat left handed . I sure hope someone has an idea.. Ah yes........almost forgot....did any of you experience symptoms during sleep, other than apnea, as a result of low sats......I know....If I'm asleep how would I know? You know what I mean.........thanx ahead of time.....> > jim IPF 05> alaska > > > ---------------------------------> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.>

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Bruce, I knew I could count on you!! Thank you. You make so many points that I must take notes, listing each point. Slow on the uptake......The 1st point, about apnea, was a revelation in itself. I shared your email with my doc, not something I've ever done before, and she was impressed. She agreed with all your points. I was wired up last night....with no O2, and had 3 episodes. Eva checked the machine each time, I never even woke up. My sats were 92, 90, 94. Almost ruled out low sats. She questioned the seizure theory simply because I'm absolutely alert and clear when I wake up. Punching a wall will do that to you. Anyway, she ruled out nothing, agreed that without a sleep study we can speculate 'til the cows come home. There are 2 sleep centers in Anc and one in

Fairbanks....they are booked until June. Going to do a thyroid study tomorrow....in the meantime, to tell the truth, now that I've got my head out about Eva.......it is a huge relief that at least she'll begin to get decent rest. She's concerned about where she will put the icicles that she calls feet. I'll get her a heating pad............... Thanx again, jim Bruce Moreland wrote: JimI would start with a neurologist and a sleep study. If you haven't hada sleep study you don't know you don't have apnea. Most forms of apneaaren't obvious. But my wife had 86 paraapnea interruptions per hour onaverage. She thrashed and turned and tumbled. First night on CPAP afterstudy no movement, perfect rest. But I would go through a neurologist sohe can utilize the study results but also check anything else indicatedbefore or after. While it could be breathing related it could as easilybe neurological in some manner. For instance it could be some form ofsmall seizures which would easily be controllable. These would bedetected through brain MRI in most cases. But the place I think he wouldstart would be the study which done right would provide date but alsoobservation by professionals who would have an idea what they wereseeing. Make sure its an excellent center that doesn't try to study

andsolve in one night but has an all night program (two is even better) andthen brings you back in if CPAP or such is needed in order to fit it.As with snoring and most sleep issues, its a condition that severelyimpacts the life of two people. I'll assure you your wife isn't sleepingwell.It could be nightmares, again treatable. A good sleep center wouldcorrelate the movements with the measurements and could tell if themovements corresponded to dreams or nightmares.I see people suffering through such sleep misery, so much of ittreatable, and I have confidence yours is with the proper doctorsdiagnosing it. Why neurologist instead or pulmonologist or respiratorydoctor of some form? Well, because if its breathing it will be picked upfine and read by either. But if its neurological I don't have theconfidence the respiratory doctors would be as in tune.A good sleep study both measures and videos every

minute of the night.Make sure it is a center that does do video (yes infrared and can seeright through your sheets and pajamas).>> On second thought......the longer I think about this and consult withthe pros I'm becoming certain that this is not an oxygen issue.....Iactually wish it was. The problem is that I'm having violent dreams,thrashing around in bed and really putting Eva in danger. Started abouta year ago but it was infrequent......maybe once a month or less. I'dstart moaning, and twitching, then start throwing punchs. I neverremember throwing the punch, don't remember the dreams, but I do vaguelyremember being in a fight. I actually hit Eva on the shoulder a fewmonths ago, hurt her, bruised her........then this past Friday

nightbegan 3 nights of this crap.....Fri nite I squeezed her arm so hard thatmy handprint is still there today. Sat nite I hit her on the top of thehead. Sunday nite I punched the head of the bed and damned near broke myhand. So....some of you are wondering why the hell she puts up withit.....why doesn't she kick me out of bed.....it's just not that simple,> this is an extraordinary woman. However I am sleeping in another beduntil this gets sorted out. Sunday I was a mess......I've worked mentalhealth for 22 years and there are a couple PhD clinicians here that areexcellent. Got together with them and an MD on Sunday. Got a fullphysical yesterday. They don't know...........they believe it hasnothing to do with Eva but simply depends on which side on laying on atthe time. Left side....she gets it, right side it's the head of the bed,a gun case (what? guns in the room with this moron??) a bedside standone

time. We went back to when I finished cancer treatment and morphedinto the IPF. I had lots of horrible nightmares, recurring nightmaresabout death, me dying, my funeral, violent scenarios. I got "shrunk" atthe time. Really a no brainer......I was seething with rage about whatwas happening to me and awake I could keep a lid on it, asleep.......out it came. As I adjusted to the diagnosis they subsided. Now> this........this is really long winded.....the docs theorize thateither it's low sats, causing momentary panic, triggering a dream, etc,etc. or low blood sugar. Eva says they usually happen around 2:30 or3am, likely when I'm coming out of the first, and deepest sleep on theway to the 1st REM. Well I was still up at 2am, stuck myfinger....89...not low blood sugar. Also I wore the O2 hose all night,which I don't ordinarily do. I know, I know....I've read you folkstalking about what your sats do at night,

but I sleep great.....figuredit must be okay. At 5am, while sucking the hose I did my twitch, moandance. No pinchs, but it was discouraging......sats were good. Tonightwe have a machine from inpatient at the hosp that monitors, records andprints my sats all night. So, I'll sleep with no hose and we'llsee..........jeez.....is there a question there????? Does this ring anybells for anyone? I don't suffer apnea. The next step is into Anchoragefor a sleep study.> I know many of you have had sleep studies. Have these been related toapnea or some other sleep disturbance? The sleep study is not withoutproblems. First, how do I know I can perform for them? Will I have tostay there until I do?>> Hey Bruce Buddy.....I'm countin' on you here..........this has to beresolved. Separate beds will protect Eva but my hands can take only somany wall strikes. I should say.......I am not a violent

man, 2 actualphysical fights in 63 years. So this violent stuff is out of character.Especially now, when retirement has made such a change in my stresslevel, my disease has been stable for 8 months, maybe a year.>> Now that I've told my life story.......5'10", 200, brn, brn, bat lefthanded . I sure hope someone has an idea.. Ah yes........almostforgot....did any of you experience symptoms during sleep, other thanapnea, as a result of low sats......I know....If I'm asleep how would Iknow? You know what I mean.........thanx ahead of time.....>> jim IPF 05> alaska>>> ---------------------------------> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Tryit now.>

Guest guest

Jim

There's nothing to be unproud of at all and this may not be related at

all to PF, just another of life's ugly complications we sometimes get

tossed. But I would get to neurologist and sleep study fast. I don't

know when you dropped the prednisone to 10 or how fast but sometimes

withdrawal is worse than being on it. You just need thorough testing as

I strongly suspect it will then be easily dealt with, but guessing won't

get to it.

> >

> > On second thought......the longer I think about this and consult

with the pros I'm becoming certain that this is not an oxygen

issue.....I actually wish it was. The problem is that I'm having violent

dreams, thrashing around in bed and really putting Eva in danger.

Started about a year ago but it was infrequent......maybe once a month

or less. I'd start moaning, and twitching, then start throwing punchs. I

never remember throwing the punch, don't remember the dreams, but I do

vaguely remember being in a fight. I actually hit Eva on the shoulder a

few months ago, hurt her, bruised her........then this past Friday night

began 3 nights of this crap.....Fri nite I squeezed her arm so hard that

my handprint is still there today. Sat nite I hit her on the top of the

head. Sunday nite I punched the head of the bed and damned near broke my

hand. So....some of you are wondering why the hell she puts up with

it.....why doesn't she kick me out of bed.....it's just not that simple,

> > this is an extraordinary woman. However I am sleeping in another bed

until this gets sorted out. Sunday I was a mess......I've worked mental

health for 22 years and there are a couple PhD clinicians here that are

excellent. Got together with them and an MD on Sunday. Got a full

physical yesterday. They don't know...........they believe it has

nothing to do with Eva but simply depends on which side on laying on at

the time. Left side....she gets it, right side it's the head of the bed,

a gun case (what? guns in the room with this moron??) a bedside stand

one time. We went back to when I finished cancer treatment and morphed

into the IPF. I had lots of horrible nightmares, recurring nightmares

about death, me dying, my funeral, violent scenarios. I got " shrunk " at

the time. Really a no brainer......I was seething with rage about what

was happening to me and awake I could keep a lid on it, asleep

........out it came. As I adjusted to the diagnosis they subsided. Now

> > this........this is really long winded.....the docs theorize that

either it's low sats, causing momentary panic, triggering a dream, etc,

etc. or low blood sugar. Eva says they usually happen around 2:30 or

3am, likely when I'm coming out of the first, and deepest sleep on the

way to the 1st REM. Well I was still up at 2am, stuck my

finger....89...not low blood sugar. Also I wore the O2 hose all night,

which I don't ordinarily do. I know, I know....I've read you folks

talking about what your sats do at night, but I sleep great.....figured

it must be okay. At 5am, while sucking the hose I did my twitch, moan

dance. No pinchs, but it was discouraging......sats were good. Tonight

we have a machine from inpatient at the hosp that monitors, records and

prints my sats all night. So, I'll sleep with no hose and we'll

see..........jeez.....is there a question there????? Does this ring any

bells for anyone? I don't suffer apnea. The next step is into Anchorage

for a sleep study.

> > I know many of you have had sleep studies. Have these been related

to apnea or some other sleep disturbance? The sleep study is not without

problems. First, how do I know I can perform for them? Will I have to

stay there until I do?

> >

> > Hey Bruce Buddy.....I'm countin' on you here..........this has to be

resolved. Separate beds will protect Eva but my hands can take only so

many wall strikes. I should say.......I am not a violent man, 2 actual

physical fights in 63 years. So this violent stuff is out of character.

Especially now, when retirement has made such a change in my stress

level, my disease has been stable for 8 months, maybe a year.

> >

> > Now that I've told my life story.......5'10 " , 200, brn, brn, bat

left handed . I sure hope someone has an idea.. Ah yes........almost

forgot....did any of you experience symptoms during sleep, other than

apnea, as a result of low sats......I know....If I'm asleep how would I

know? You know what I mean.........thanx ahead of time.....

> >

> > jim IPF 05

> > alaska

> >

> >

> > ---------------------------------

> > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.

Try it now.

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

it now.

>

Guest guest

Jim

Yes, good to know your oxygen is up but thats not something I suspected

would cause this. The moderate drops in oxygen you even might be

experiencing wouldn't normally even give you immediate symptoms. The

purpose of oxygen at night is more long term for our organs. Another

restrictive/obstructive thing as oxygen saturation in your case is from

a restrictive disease. Apnea in various forms is either obstructive or

neurological.

> >

> > On second thought......the longer I think about this and consult

with

> the pros I'm becoming certain that this is not an oxygen issue.....I

> actually wish it was. The problem is that I'm having violent dreams,

> thrashing around in bed and really putting Eva in danger. Started

about

> a year ago but it was infrequent......maybe once a month or less. I'd

> start moaning, and twitching, then start throwing punchs. I never

> remember throwing the punch, don't remember the dreams, but I do

vaguely

> remember being in a fight. I actually hit Eva on the shoulder a few

> months ago, hurt her, bruised her........then this past Friday night

> began 3 nights of this crap.....Fri nite I squeezed her arm so hard

that

> my handprint is still there today. Sat nite I hit her on the top of

the

> head. Sunday nite I punched the head of the bed and damned near broke

my

> hand. So....some of you are wondering why the hell she puts up with

> it.....why doesn't she kick me out of bed.....it's just not that

simple,

> > this is an extraordinary woman. However I am sleeping in another bed

> until this gets sorted out. Sunday I was a mess......I've worked

mental

> health for 22 years and there are a couple PhD clinicians here that

are

> excellent. Got together with them and an MD on Sunday. Got a full

> physical yesterday. They don't know...........they believe it has

> nothing to do with Eva but simply depends on which side on laying on

at

> the time. Left side....she gets it, right side it's the head of the

bed,

> a gun case (what? guns in the room with this moron??) a bedside stand

> one time. We went back to when I finished cancer treatment and morphed

> into the IPF. I had lots of horrible nightmares, recurring nightmares

> about death, me dying, my funeral, violent scenarios. I got " shrunk "

at

> the time. Really a no brainer......I was seething with rage about what

> was happening to me and awake I could keep a lid on it, asleep

> .......out it came. As I adjusted to the diagnosis they subsided. Now

> > this........this is really long winded.....the docs theorize that

> either it's low sats, causing momentary panic, triggering a dream,

etc,

> etc. or low blood sugar. Eva says they usually happen around 2:30 or

> 3am, likely when I'm coming out of the first, and deepest sleep on the

> way to the 1st REM. Well I was still up at 2am, stuck my

> finger....89...not low blood sugar. Also I wore the O2 hose all night,

> which I don't ordinarily do. I know, I know....I've read you folks

> talking about what your sats do at night, but I sleep

great.....figured

> it must be okay. At 5am, while sucking the hose I did my twitch, moan

> dance. No pinchs, but it was discouraging......sats were good. Tonight

> we have a machine from inpatient at the hosp that monitors, records

and

> prints my sats all night. So, I'll sleep with no hose and we'll

> see..........jeez.....is there a question there????? Does this ring

any

> bells for anyone? I don't suffer apnea. The next step is into

Anchorage

> for a sleep study.

> > I know many of you have had sleep studies. Have these been related

to

> apnea or some other sleep disturbance? The sleep study is not without

> problems. First, how do I know I can perform for them? Will I have to

> stay there until I do?

> >

> > Hey Bruce Buddy.....I'm countin' on you here..........this has to be

> resolved. Separate beds will protect Eva but my hands can take only so

> many wall strikes. I should say.......I am not a violent man, 2 actual

> physical fights in 63 years. So this violent stuff is out of

character.

> Especially now, when retirement has made such a change in my stress

> level, my disease has been stable for 8 months, maybe a year.

> >

> > Now that I've told my life story.......5'10 " , 200, brn, brn, bat

left

> handed . I sure hope someone has an idea.. Ah yes........almost

> forgot....did any of you experience symptoms during sleep, other than

> apnea, as a result of low sats......I know....If I'm asleep how would

I

> know? You know what I mean.........thanx ahead of time.....

> >

> > jim IPF 05

> > alaska

> >

> >

> > ---------------------------------

> > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.

Try

> it now.

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

it now.

>

Guest guest

Jim....what an awful situation for you and your wife to deal with. No one wants to be the one to leave the bed! I can well understand, for safety's sake, that you are sleeping elsewhere temporarily. There truly could be a serious accidental injury as you mention has occurred.

My sleep study was done due to my snoring and always being tired. I'd get up and go lay down someplace else...foggy thinking...

To my knowledge, if they don't get a 'reading' on the first study, you go back. Yes, you may need to go back a few times but on the other hand you may "perform" well. Every place is different Jim, you already know that....a phone call will give you these answers.

Have you tried sleeping with gloves on...good leather gloves are soft and protective both. I can guess how this bothers you. And Eva. But at least you are doing something about it.

>>>>>Low sats during sleep: I had no idea I desat'd during sleep at night. Monitor shows I do. Now that I'm using O2 at night I sleep better and wake in the morning feeling better and during the day I have more energy. Must be the nighttime O2. Nothing else has changed. In fact I seldom use O2 during the day unless I'm exerting. Did walk the treadmill today...got up to 2 mph for a few minutes and walked about 15 min total but lesser mph. My sats stayed up pretty good on O2 but my heart sure jumps around....up to 110. But I guess that's really ok.

I hope your answers are soon forthcoming Jim! Until then, keep your hands to yourself! lol

Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR. Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

O2 question

On second thought......the longer I think about this and consult with the pros I'm becoming certain that this is not an oxygen issue.....I actually wish it was. The problem is that I'm having violent dreams, thrashing around in bed and really putting Eva in danger. Started about a year ago but it was infrequent......maybe once a month or less. I'd start moaning, and twitching, then start throwing punchs. I never remember throwing the punch, don't remember the dreams, but I do vaguely remember being in a fight. I actually hit Eva on the shoulder a few months ago, hurt her, bruised her........then this past Friday night began 3 nights of this crap.....Fri nite I squeezed her arm so hard that my handprint is still there today. Sat nite I hit her on the top of the head. Sunday nite I punched the head of the bed and damned near broke my hand. So....some of you are wondering why the hell she puts up with it.....why doesn't she kick me out of bed.....it's just not that simple, this is an extraordinary woman. However I am sleeping in another bed until this gets sorted out. Sunday I was a mess......I've worked mental health for 22 years and there are a couple PhD clinicians here that are excellent. Got together with them and an MD on Sunday. Got a full physical yesterday. They don't know...........they believe it has nothing to do with Eva but simply depends on which side on laying on at the time. Left side....she gets it, right side it's the head of the bed, a gun case (what? guns in the room with this moron??) a bedside stand one time. We went back to when I finished cancer treatment and morphed into the IPF. I had lots of horrible nightmares, recurring nightmares about death, me dying, my funeral, violent scenarios. I got "shrunk" at the time. Really a no brainer......I was seething with rage about what was happening to me and awake I could keep a lid on it, asleep .......out it came. As I adjusted to the diagnosis they subsided. Now this........this is really long winded.....the docs theorize that either it's low sats, causing momentary panic, triggering a dream, etc, etc. or low blood sugar. Eva says they usually happen around 2:30 or 3am, likely when I'm coming out of the first, and deepest sleep on the way to the 1st REM. Well I was still up at 2am, stuck my finger....89...not low blood sugar. Also I wore the O2 hose all night, which I don't ordinarily do. I know, I know....I've read you folks talking about what your sats do at night, but I sleep great.....figured it must be okay. At 5am, while sucking the hose I did my twitch, moan dance. No pinchs, but it was discouraging......sats were good. Tonight we have a machine from inpatient at the hosp that monitors, records and prints my sats all night. So, I'll sleep with no hose and we'll see..........jeez.....is there a question there????? Does this ring any bells for anyone? I don't suffer apnea. The next step is into Anchorage for a sleep study. I know many of you have had sleep studies. Have these been related to apnea or some other sleep disturbance? The sleep study is not without problems. First, how do I know I can perform for them? Will I have to stay there until I do?

Hey Bruce Buddy.....I'm countin' on you here..........this has to be resolved. Separate beds will protect Eva but my hands can take only so many wall strikes. I should say.......I am not a violent man, 2 actual physical fights in 63 years. So this violent stuff is out of character. Especially now, when retirement has made such a change in my stress level, my disease has been stable for 8 months, maybe a year.

Now that I've told my life story.......5'10", 200, brn, brn, bat left handed . I sure hope someone has an idea.. Ah yes........almost forgot....did any of you experience symptoms during sleep, other than apnea, as a result of low sats......I know....If I'm asleep how would I know? You know what I mean.........thanx ahead of time.....

jim IPF 05

alaska