RemedySpot.com

Re: Caro/MB/Walt

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Sher,

What exactly do they do in pulmo rehab? I don't have any idea what to expect.CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

Subject: Caro/MB/WaltTo: Breathe-Support Date: Thursday, May 1, 2008, 12:30 PM

Caro... I really admire your spunk to do the exercise/outside for a walk....! I'm going to rehab again...went previously.. .a couple different times....now will go again. Today. Really need the conditioning. Hey, take it easy on the new "toy". I know how some of us are...we go at things like we're killing snakes with a stick!

MB... You paint a wonderful picture of you on the little deck. I missed something... .are you visiting family in NY?

Walt... You do have a tough decision to make! Do the Drs. have some sort of educated guess by scans/x-rays/ blood work what strain you have?

I'm not a good person to ask because I will not do a lung bio....there is no guarantee it will be absolutely definitive and if it's IPF (you don't say what strain you have) there is no treatment/cure anyway. Prednisone is about the only med used and it has ghastly side effects....I won't take the med either.

There are different opinions Walt....Bruce had a bio, and although painful, he would do it again....I'm sure he will respond to you.

Are you on O2....do you need more O2???

God guide you........

Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR. Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Caro

Pulmonary Rehab-now if varies with each program but generally it will consist of some of the problem.

Some gentle stretching including use of small hand and leg weights to get you ready for more plus to help your arms and legs.

Some breathings exercises. These may be just techniques, pursed lip, deep diaphragm or may include spirometers and other small devices.

Some or multiple forms of exercise based on your condition. This includes treadmill, rowing machines, pedaling machines.

Some form of educational time. Somewhat really to let people rest and generally will be of little use to one with PF as its normally not aimed at us.

Guest guest

Caro...Your first visit to rehab is usually intake only/talk w/RT/plan of action. Then you begin on whatever equip your Dr RX for you. Maybe a while on the treadmill...there are many pieces of equip and you may move among one or more. Always monitored by RT and I personally am monitored w/stuff strapped to me....still trying to figure what's going on w/my heart. Each person is different and what you do and/or how long you do it will vary. Actually, it's fun. Conversation if you want it, silence if not. Are you wondering about anything specific?

Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR. Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Caro/MB/WaltTo: Breathe-Support Date: Thursday, May 1, 2008, 12:30 PM

Caro... I really admire your spunk to do the exercise/outside for a walk....! I'm going to rehab again...went previously.. .a couple different times....now will go again. Today. Really need the conditioning. Hey, take it easy on the new "toy". I know how some of us are...we go at things like we're killing snakes with a stick!

MB... You paint a wonderful picture of you on the little deck. I missed something... .are you visiting family in NY?

Walt... You do have a tough decision to make! Do the Drs. have some sort of educated guess by scans/x-rays/ blood work what strain you have?

I'm not a good person to ask because I will not do a lung bio....there is no guarantee it will be absolutely definitive and if it's IPF (you don't say what strain you have) there is no treatment/cure anyway. Prednisone is about the only med used and it has ghastly side effects....I won't take the med either.

There are different opinions Walt....Bruce had a bio, and although painful, he would do it again....I'm sure he will respond to you.

God guide you........

Guest guest

Bruce/Caro.....all you mention here Bruce is not done at first, at least not at the hospital I go to......I've been through Pul rehab twice before. Some never use weights..breathing exercises are more for cardio...educational time is usually at another time (class) not during ones rehab.

Your rehab is different.......

You know, different strokes for different folks. lol.

Caro

Pulmonary Rehab-now if varies with each program but generally it will consist of some of the problem.

Some gentle stretching including use of small hand and leg weights to get you ready for more plus to help your arms and legs. Some breathings exercises. These may be just techniques, pursed lip, deep diaphragm or may include spirometers and other small devices. Some or multiple forms of exercise based on your condition. This includes treadmill, rowing machines, pedaling machines. Some form of educational time. Somewhat really to let people rest and generally will be of little use to one with PF as its normally not aimed at us.

Guest guest

Sher,

My pulmonary rehab had breathing exercises in addition to the treadmill and weights. Everyone who was in the class used the weights even if they were just the little tiny 1/2 pounders. The education was definitely part of the rehab program, all part of the same 3 hour process 3 times a week.

The education was interesting, some did not necessarily apply because I don't have a disease like emphysema but most of it was just practical stuff, like setting up our houses to make things easier. Rearranging our kitchens so that we don't have to do alot of reaching, bending and lifting. Using shower chairs, learning to move slower and being patient with ourselves. Stuff like that.

As you say, rehab programs vary across the country. Some are better than others but there is value in getting everything you can out of it.

Beth

Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

Change everything. Love and Forgive

Caro

Some gentle stretching including use of small hand and leg weights to get you ready for more plus to help your arms and legs. Some breathings exercises. These may be just techniques, pursed lip, deep diaphragm or may include spirometers and other small devices. Some or multiple forms of exercise based on your condition. This includes treadmill, rowing machines, pedaling machines. Some form of educational time. Somewhat really to let people rest and generally will be of little use to one with PF as its normally not aimed at us.

Guest guest

MB

Mine was like yours except the education was topics like:

How to avoid lung disease? I thought a bit late for that one and hard to avoid one we don't know what causes anyway.

How to quit smoking?

Now the practical stuff would have been better.

>> Sher,> My pulmonary rehab had breathing exercises in addition to the treadmill and weights. Everyone who was in the class used the weights even if they were just the little tiny 1/2 pounders. The education was definitely part of the rehab program, all part of the same 3 hour process 3 times a week.> The education was interesting, some did not necessarily apply because I don't have a disease like emphysema but most of it was just practical stuff, like setting up our houses to make things easier. Rearranging our kitchens so that we don't have to do alot of reaching, bending and lifting. Using shower chairs, learning to move slower and being patient with ourselves. Stuff like that. > As you say, rehab programs vary across the country. Some are better than others but there is value in getting everything you can out of it.> > Beth > Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06> > Change everything. Love and Forgive > > > > > > Re: Caro/MB/Walt> > Caro> Pulmonary Rehab-now if varies with each program but generally it will consist of some of the problem.> * Some gentle stretching including use of small hand and leg weights to get you ready for more plus to help your arms and legs. > * Some breathings exercises. These may be just techniques, pursed lip, deep diaphragm or may include spirometers and other small devices. > * Some or multiple forms of exercise based on your condition. This includes treadmill, rowing machines, pedaling machines. > * Some form of educational time. Somewhat really to let people rest and generally will be of little use to one with PF as its normally not aimed at us. > >

Guest guest

Thanks for the info. It sounds kinda similar to physical therapy? I had to do that for my back before and we did exercises on the equipment there, too. I think I can handle that!! Thanks a bunch you guys!!CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

Subject: Re: Re: Caro/MB/WaltTo: Breathe-Support Date: Thursday, May 1, 2008, 6:08 PM

Bruce/Caro.. ...all you mention here Bruce is not done at first, at least not at the hospital I go to......I've been through Pul rehab twice before. Some never use weights..breathing exercises are more for cardio...educationa l time is usually at another time (class) not during ones rehab.

Your rehab is different... ....

You know, different strokes for different folks. lol.

Caro

Guest guest

He told me there would be a respiratory therapist there, so I wasn't sure if I would be doing PFTs or anything like that, too. I haven't even done a 6-minute walk yet. Do they monitor your sats while you are on the treadmill? I would really like to know how far mine would drop. I have never monitored while I was doing any activity, I just know sometimes I can barely breathe, especially going up and down the stairs.

CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

From: Sher Bauman <bofuswbcable (DOT) net>Subject: Caro/MB/WaltTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Thursday, May 1, 2008, 12:30 PM

God guide you........

Guest guest

Well, gee, I think I'm cheated! hahaaaha. My rehab time is only 1.5 hr and educ. other times. Weights are AFTER a person is 'conditioned'........or maybe it's just ME!

Whoops!

Caro

Guest guest

That is good to know that yours is 1.5 hour -- I was wondering how in the world to work in taking 3 hours off of work 3 days a week!!CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

Subject: Re: Re: Caro/MB/WaltTo: Breathe-Support Date: Thursday, May 1, 2008, 7:40 PM

Well, gee, I think I'm cheated! hahaaaha. My rehab time is only 1.5 hr and educ. other times. Weights are AFTER a person is 'conditioned' ........or maybe it's just ME!

Whoops!

Caro

Guest guest

Caro, I go twice a week. I'll go through May and then hope to transfer to our own treadmill...........

Caro

Guest guest

Maybe I will be able to go just twice a week, too, and then transfer to my Total Gym!!CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

From: Sher Bauman <bofuswbcable (DOT) net>Subject: Re: Re: Caro/MB/WaltTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Thursday, May 1, 2008, 7:40 PM

Well, gee, I think I'm cheated! hahaaaha. My rehab time is only 1.5 hr and educ. other times. Weights are AFTER a person is 'conditioned' ........or maybe it's just ME!

Whoops!

Caro

Guest guest

Bruce

That's actually pretty funny...."how to avoid lung disease" for a bunch of people already in rehab. Someone setting that up is either dense or has a twisted sense of humor.

Beth

Re: Caro/MB/Walt> > Caro> Pulmonary Rehab-now if varies with each program but generally it will consist of some of the problem.> * Some gentle stretching including use of small hand and leg weights to get you ready for more plus to help your arms and legs. > * Some breathings exercises. These may be just techniques, pursed lip, deep diaphragm or may include spirometers and other small devices. > * Some or multiple forms of exercise based on your condition. This includes treadmill, rowing machines, pedaling machines. > * Some form of educational time. Somewhat really to let people rest and generally will be of little use to one with PF as its normally not aimed at us. >

>

Guest guest

Caro,

Yes, your sats and your heart will be monitored while you're on the treadmill. It took awhile to get the O2 adjusted properly for me. It was the second or third week before we got it to a level where I could do the treadmill and keep my sats up.

I had to have a rather extensive physical before I was accepted into the program along with a cardiac stress test. They wanted to make sure I'd be able to do the program safely.

Safety is usually a very big focus of these programs!

Beth

Caro/MB/WaltTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Thursday, May 1, 2008, 12:30 PM

God guide you........

Guest guest

Caro....I badly need a jump start. I think you are already much more active than I and I need monitoring also.

Hope a jump start works for you too. Did you learn you lesson in taking it easy on your new toy? lol

Caro

Guest guest

Yes I did!! I found out I have muscles that I had forgotten I had! He!! he!! I will send you a jump start -- Here goes -- Get ready --

Did you catch it? CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

From: Sher Bauman <bofuswbcable (DOT) net>Subject: Re: Re: Caro/MB/WaltTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Thursday, May 1, 2008, 7:40 PM

Whoops!

Caro

Guest guest

Yep, caught it! Thanks friend. Right back attcha................

Caro

Guest guest

That is TOO cute!! Have a great day, Sher!!CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

Whoops!

Caro

Guest guest

Caro... we can just keep 'jump-starting' each other and run like hell! ..............................

Caro

Guest guest

Sounds like a plan to me!!CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

Whoops!

Caro

Guest guest

I will be glad to know what my sats are with exercise. I went for my 1 mile walk this morning and it started to rain, just sprinkles, but steady. I guess I was trying to walk faster without realizing it and I got really short of breath. Didn't think I was gonna make the whole mile. So sad. Just a year ago, I was walking 6 miles a day without any problems, and now I can barely make 1. At least I am still out there, though, I guess. I am trying to hold off on the oxygen as long as possible. Would just be my luck I will get pneumonia from walking in the rain!! LOL!!

CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

From: Sher Bauman <bofuswbcable (DOT) net>Subject: Caro/MB/WaltTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Thursday, May 1, 2008, 12:30 PM

God guide you........

Guest guest

Caro....ok girl....I'm gonna pull age on you here..lol.....Putting "off" O2 may not be a good thing. I can't tell you the difference O2 makes in my life. I'm on 2 to 3L and always at night. I have more energy and sleep better!

You may be glad to have O2 later on. It's not a curse, believe me it's a blessing.

Be glad for what you can still do...looking backwards only makes your neck cramp! lol.

It's good to know for you that you are active. That's the point. Stay active if we can. I'm playing catch up right now but I'm glad to be back in rehab.

Caro/MB/WaltTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Thursday, May 1, 2008, 12:30 PM

God guide you........

Guest guest

I am still looking forward to rehab. I know oxygen will help me and I honestly feel like I am going to need it sooner than later. I am expecting that is what they are going to say when I go to Birmingham, especially if they test me during exertion to see if my sats drop. I guess I am more worried that people will look at me different if I am wearing oxygen in public or something. Kinda dumb, huh? My daughter said don't worry about it. People are gonna think whatever they are gonna think anyway and as long as I feel better that's all that counts. Well, she can say that, she isn't going to be wearing it, ya know? Have you ever felt this way before you had to get the oxygen. I wouldn't mind even now wearing it at night. Just don't know if I am ready to deal with going out in public yet. Guess that is a hurdle

I am just going to have to jump. Hope I am not sounding selfish or anything or like I am somebody who always worries about what other people think. I am just a happy go lucky do my own thing kinda person, who works from home without much people contact. Sometimes I can even go in a store and if somebody makes a comment, I will stay home for weeks before going out again. Just paranoid, I guess. I am not a psycho or anything like that. Oh my goodness!! Just don't want people to look at me differently. Even in the apartment complex I live in, I have lots of friends and acquaintances, but none of them know I am sick. I always lay the cough off to a cold or something coming on and they are none the wiser. Does this make me a weird person? Enough babbling AGAIN for me!! Hope you all have a great night!!

CaroCaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

God guide you........

Guest guest

Caro,

First of all you are NOT a weirdo! Please put that out of your head. I think all of us who are on O2 have felt strange and conspicuous and very apparehensive about going out in public in the beginning. My journey with the O2 was a little different from yours in that I went from not even knowing I was very ill to needing O2 24/7 during a 2 week hospitalization. It was not a gradual adjustment, it was just thrown at me all at once. In some ways that may have been easier for me I suppose.

The bottom line is you will most likely learn to be less concerned about what other people think. People will look twice, some will stare (mostly children stare and that just doesn't bother me children are just curious) but one thing I've learned is people don't think about me very much. Most people are too worried about their own problems and what you think of them to concern themselves with you.

It's not something any of us have wanted to face but we've done it and you will too. We are all braver than we thought we could be and you are no exception!

Beth

God guide you........

Guest guest

Caro.....Oh my goodness yes I was self-conscious about the O2...still feel a 'little' awkward but not much. O2 helps so much that I don't care anymore. You will wonder about people 'looking at you' for awhile but it passes. Honest it does. When you get ready for your 'coming out party' let me know....there are different bags you can use for the O2 cylinder and you'll go through the O2 on your shoulder and carrying a purse and pretty soon it's too much so you will start putting 'purse-stuff' in the O2 bag.......anyway, let me know. LLBean carries a great back bag that works for the cylinders. I named it the BOA (bag of air) bag. Lots of us have one.

What is the real reason you do not want anyone to know you are ill, do you know? Think about it.

Babble all you want, you might even come up with some answers! lol

God guide you........