RemedySpot.com

Sudden drop in Sats

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I am wondering if anyone has experienced a dramatic deterioration in SAT levels, literally from one day to the next? Up until last week, I could walk slowly around the house without using oxygen and my sats would stay at 91-93. All of a sudden, they will drop to 83 by walking 10 steps. Even on the oxygen, they are dropping to 85 while doing errands and walking slowly. My GP has checked to make sure that I do not have a blood clot in the lung. The scan was negative and he was going to try and contact my pulmo to see where to go from here. The radiologist feels it is related to the PF but the GP doesn't think that a change would occur so quickly. The other thing that is new is that my heart rate goes up to 110 walking a few steps, up to 130 brshing my teeth or taking a shower and 150 doing errands. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced such a quick change? Thanks in advance

for any insight you can provide. Diane IPF June 07New Brunswick, Canada

Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA

Guest guest

Diane...I'm sorry I have no personal insight for you. I have no direct experience with what you describe. My 'sat activity' is different.

I know someone will reply though that can be of help. Anyway, just to encourage you to keep on keeping on until you find an explanation.

Are you by chance in rehab? In my opinion, those RTs are soooooo knowledgeable about this stuff.

It's worrisome I know but there are answers kiddo!

A hug for you!

Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR. Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Sudden drop in Sats

I am wondering if anyone has experienced a dramatic deterioration in SAT levels, literally from one day to the next? Up until last week, I could walk slowly around the house without using oxygen and my sats would stay at 91-93. All of a sudden, they will drop to 83 by walking 10 steps. Even on the oxygen, they are dropping to 85 while doing errands and walking slowly. My GP has checked to make sure that I do not have a blood clot in the lung. The scan was negative and he was going to try and contact my pulmo to see where to go from here. The radiologist feels it is related to the PF but the GP doesn't think that a change would occur so quickly. The other thing that is new is that my heart rate goes up to 110 walking a few steps, up to 130 brshing my teeth or taking a shower and 150 doing errands. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced such a quick change? Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide. Diane IPF June 07New Brunswick, Canada

Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA

Guest guest

Diane,

This is what happened to me and was later diagnosed as severe Pulmonary Hypertension. The first signs were plummeting 02 saturations. But, it could be many other reasons. When I need more 02, I use more 02. Then when I am resting it can go back down.

Hopefully, your doc will get to the bottom of this. It is an important indicator of something "not right."

Hugs, Joyce D.Pulmonary Fibrosis 1997 Bronchiectasis 2004 Pulmonary Hypertension 2008 Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (Lupus, RA, Sjogren's, etc) Rejected for Transplant 2006 .....I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palm of my hands. Isaiah 49: 15-16>> I am wondering if anyone has experienced a dramatic deterioration in SAT levels, literally from one day to the next? Up until last week, I could walk slowly around the house without using oxygen and my sats would stay at 91-93. All of a sudden, they will drop to 83 by walking 10 steps. Even on the oxygen, they are dropping to 85 while doing errands and walking slowly. My GP has checked to make sure that I do not have a blood clot in the lung. The scan was negative and he was going to try and contact my pulmo to see where to go from here. The radiologist feels it is related to the PF but the GP doesn't think that a change would occur so quickly. The other thing that is new is that my heart rate goes up to 110 walking a few steps, up to 130 brshing my teeth or taking a shower and 150 doing errands. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced such a quick change? Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.> Diane > IPF June 07> New Brunswick, Canada> > > __________________________________________________________________> Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required. Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php>

Guest guest

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Joyce. It sort of threw me for a loop as I was thinking I had lots of time. This sudden change seems to change my outlook. Please take good care of yourself as you are such an important person on this board and we do rely on your wisdom. Diane IPF June 07New Brunswick, Canada

Re: Sudden drop in Sats

Diane,

This is what happened to me and was later diagnosed as severe Pulmonary Hypertension. The first signs were plummeting 02 saturations. But, it could be many other reasons. When I need more 02, I use more 02. Then when I am resting it can go back down.

Hopefully, your doc will get to the bottom of this. It is an important indicator of something "not right."

Hugs, Joyce D.Pulmonary Fibrosis 1997 Bronchiectasis 2004 Pulmonary Hypertension 2008 Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (Lupus, RA, Sjogren's, etc) Rejected for Transplant 2006 .....I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palm of my hands. Isaiah 49: 15-16>> I am wondering if anyone has experienced a dramatic deterioration in SAT levels, literally from one day to the next? Up until last week, I could walk slowly around the house without using oxygen and my sats would stay at 91-93. All of a sudden, they will drop to 83 by walking 10 steps. Even on the oxygen, they are dropping to 85 while doing errands

and walking slowly. My GP has checked to make sure that I do not have a blood clot in the lung. The scan was negative and he was going to try and contact my pulmo to see where to go from here. The radiologist feels it is related to the PF but the GP doesn't think that a change would occur so quickly. The other thing that is new is that my heart rate goes up to 110 walking a few steps, up to 130 brshing my teeth or taking a shower and 150 doing errands. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced such a quick change? Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.> Diane > IPF June 07> New Brunswick, Canada> > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________> Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required. Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at http://ca.messenger .yahoo.com/

webmessengerprom o.php>

Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail

Guest guest

Thank you, Sher. Diane IPF June 07New Brunswick, Canada

Sudden drop in Sats

I am wondering if anyone has experienced a dramatic deterioration in SAT levels, literally from one day to the next? Up until last week, I could walk slowly around the house without using oxygen and my sats would stay at 91-93. All of a sudden, they will drop to 83 by walking 10 steps. Even on the oxygen, they are dropping to 85 while doing errands and walking slowly. My GP has checked to make sure that I do not have a blood clot in the lung. The scan was negative and he was going to try and contact my pulmo to see where to go from here. The radiologist feels it is related to the PF but the GP doesn't think that a change would occur so quickly. The other thing that is new is that my heart rate goes up to 110 walking a few steps, up to 130 brshing my teeth or taking a shower and 150 doing errands. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced such a quick change? Thanks in advance

for any insight you can provide. Diane IPF June 07New Brunswick, Canada

Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger

Guest guest

Hi Diane,

I'm sorry you're feeling this, but I'm pleased that you are being looked at. Has your GP taken blood tests? It might be that you have an unrelated virus or something that your body is trying to deal with on top of the PF. Or, as Joyce says it might be PH, but according to my docs, if you are on O2 it is unlikely for you to develop PH too quickly unless, like Joyce and myself you have a connective tissue disease.

I hope you get some answers soon

Love Ze xx

>> Thank you, Sher.> Diane > IPF June 07> New Brunswick, Canada> > > > Sudden drop in Sats> > I am wondering if anyone has experienced a dramatic deterioration in SAT levels, literally from one day to the next? Up until last week, I could walk slowly around the house without using oxygen and my sats would stay at 91-93. All of a sudden, they will drop to 83 by walking 10 steps. Even on the oxygen, they are dropping to 85 while doing errands and walking slowly. My GP has checked to make sure that I do not have a blood clot in the lung. The scan was negative and he was going to try and contact my pulmo to see where to go from here. The radiologist feels it is related to the PF but the GP doesn't think that a change would occur so quickly. The other thing that is new is that my heart rate goes up to 110 walking a few steps, up to 130 brshing my teeth or taking a shower and 150 doing errands. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced such a quick change? Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.> Diane > IPF June 07> New Brunswick, Canada > ________________________________> Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA > > > __________________________________________________________________> Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required. Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php>

Guest guest

Thank you, Zena, for your input. Yes, they did blood tests as well and I don't have any fever. Just the SOB and pain in my chest. They will continue to investigate and I am sure we will get to the bottom of it soon but it is worrisome just the same. Thanks again for the response. Diane IPF June 07New Brunswick, Canada

Sudden drop in Sats> > I am wondering if anyone has experienced a dramatic deterioration in SAT levels, literally from one day to the next? Up until last week, I could walk slowly around the house without using oxygen and my sats would stay at 91-93. All of a sudden, they will drop to 83 by walking 10 steps. Even on the oxygen, they are dropping to 85 while doing errands and walking slowly. My GP has checked to make sure that I do not have a blood clot in the lung. The scan was negative and he was going to try and contact my pulmo to see where to go from here.

The radiologist feels it is related to the PF but the GP doesn't think that a change would occur so quickly. The other thing that is new is that my heart rate goes up to 110 walking a few steps, up to 130 brshing my teeth or taking a shower and 150 doing errands. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced such a quick change? Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.> Diane > IPF June 07> New Brunswick, Canada > ____________ _________ _________ __> Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________> Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required. Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at http://ca.messenger .yahoo.com/ webmessengerprom o.php>

Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!

Guest guest

Yep, Diane, that's me. I used to drop and pop right back up.

Really prided myself on it actually. Then a couple times after

severe coughing attacks when I would be too wiped out to do anything

and just retired to bed I would get up and just walk to my master

bathroom and my sat would drop into the 80's and it didn't pop right

back up. It used to take real exertion to make it drop and then all

of a sudden just a walk to the potty? It didn't make sense, but I

thought it was still just because I was exhausted from the coughing

fits. Then I noticed it started happening more and more just

walking around my house. That's when I gave in and asked to be

tested again for supplemental O2 and of course I got it. At first I

didn't use it much, then it became something I couldn't deny or

ignore. Without it I just couldn't function. Now when my husband

turns it down for bedtime I have to be completely settled and still

it's a fight to try to stay calm and realize I'm going to sleep and

don't need it as high as w/ moving. I actually can be as good as 1

liter or even none sitting still, but w/ coughing attacks I can have

5 liters on the concentrator and 8 on the compressed shoved in my

mouth and it still drops into the 70's half a dozen times. There

are some times that like I said the doc said you can pump in all you

want it just can't get thru. I really have tried to notice the

specific activities that make mine drop, but it's hard. Doing my

core strength class I've gotten to know which muscles or which moves

will make it drop when I need to take a break, etc. Sometimes

though there's just no explaining. Sometimes I can walk on 3 liters

and be okay and sometimes at 5 I'm still in the 80's and pulse vs.

continuous makes a huge difference. The heart rate also is an

interesting one to watch. I can ride my recumbent bike and have my

heartrate at 105, then I can brush my teeth and it's 130. I can

walk on the treadmill and it's 127, I can cough and it's 148. I can

sit still and be doing nothing and it's anywhere from the 70's to

140's... there's just too many factors (activity, muscles, body

position, limb position, stretch, exertion, physical stress, mental

stress, panic, adrenalin, how rested or not you are, environmental

surroundings, air flow, air temp) in play to try to figure it all

out.

Still 18 digests behind and I've gotta go shower to take my son to

the library, took this morning to do some catching up. Busy lately,

plus had a couple down days after taking Boniva (had severe

musculoskeletal pain... didn't like that one bit and really would

like to not experience it ever again. I was really only prepared

for nausea after asking all the board about the osteoporosis drugs).

Kerry

37 IPF '01 S. IN

>

> I am wondering if anyone has experienced a dramatic deterioration

in SAT levels, literally from one day to the next?  Up until last

week, I could walk slowly around the house without using oxygen and

my sats would stay at 91-93. All of a sudden, they will drop to 83

by walking 10 steps.  Even on the oxygen, they are dropping to 85

while doing errands and walking slowly.  My GP has checked to make

sure that I do not have a blood clot in the lung.  The scan was

negative and he was going to try and contact my pulmo to see where

to go from here.  The radiologist feels it is related to the PF but

the GP doesn't think that a change would occur so quickly.  The

other thing that is new is that my heart rate goes up to 110 walking

a few steps, up to 130 brshing my teeth or taking a shower and 150

doing errands.  I just wondered if anyone else had experienced such

a quick change? Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

>  Diane

> IPF June 07

> New Brunswick, Canada

>

>

>

> Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required.

Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at

http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php

>

Guest guest

Kerry:

Thanks for this detailed description. It sounds exactly like what I have been experiencing. I will be anxious to hear what the Pulmo has to say next week. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. Diane IPF June 07New Brunswick, Canada

Yep, Diane, that's me. I used to drop and pop right back up. Really prided myself on it actually. Then a couple times after severe coughing attacks when I would be too wiped out to do anything and just retired to bed I would get up and just walk to my master bathroom and my sat would drop into the 80's and it didn't pop right back up. It used to take real exertion to make it drop and then all of a sudden just a walk to the potty? It didn't make sense, but I thought it was still just because I was exhausted from the coughing fits. Then I noticed it started happening more and more just walking around my house. That's when I gave in and asked to be tested again for supplemental O2 and of course I got it. At first I didn't use it much, then it became something I couldn't deny or ignore. Without it I just couldn't function. Now when my husband turns it down for bedtime I have to be completely settled and

still it's a fight to try to stay calm and realize I'm going to sleep and don't need it as high as w/ moving. I actually can be as good as 1 liter or even none sitting still, but w/ coughing attacks I can have 5 liters on the concentrator and 8 on the compressed shoved in my mouth and it still drops into the 70's half a dozen times. There are some times that like I said the doc said you can pump in all you want it just can't get thru. I really have tried to notice the specific activities that make mine drop, but it's hard. Doing my core strength class I've gotten to know which muscles or which moves will make it drop when I need to take a break, etc. Sometimes though there's just no explaining. Sometimes I can walk on 3 liters and be okay and sometimes at 5 I'm still in the 80's and pulse vs. continuous makes a huge difference. The heart rate also is an interesting one to watch. I can ride my

recumbent bike and have my heartrate at 105, then I can brush my teeth and it's 130. I can walk on the treadmill and it's 127, I can cough and it's 148. I can sit still and be doing nothing and it's anywhere from the 70's to 140's... there's just too many factors (activity, muscles, body position, limb position, stretch, exertion, physical stress, mental stress, panic, adrenalin, how rested or not you are, environmental surroundings, air flow, air temp) in play to try to figure it all out.Still 18 digests behind and I've gotta go shower to take my son to the library, took this morning to do some catching up. Busy lately, plus had a couple down days after taking Boniva (had severe musculoskeletal pain... didn't like that one bit and really would like to not experience it ever again. I was really only prepared for nausea after asking all the board about the osteoporosis drugs).Kerry37

IPF '01 S. IN>> I am wondering if anyone has experienced a dramatic deteriorat ion in SAT levels, literally from one day to the next? Up until last week, I could walk slowly around the house without using oxygen and my sats would stay at 91-93. All of a sudden, they will drop to 83 by walking 10 steps. Even on the oxygen, they are dropping to 85 while doing errands and walking slowly. My GP has checked to make sure that I do not have a blood clot in the lung. The scan was negative and he was going to try and contact my pulmo to see where to go from here. The radiologist feels it is related to the PF but the GP doesn't think that

a change would occur so quickly. The other thing that is new is that my heart rate goes up to 110 walking a few steps, up to 130 brshing my teeth or taking a shower and 150 doing errands. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced such a quick change? Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.> Diane > IPF June 07> New Brunswick, Canada> > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required. Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at http://ca.messenger .yahoo.com/ webmessengerprom o.php>

Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!

Guest guest

Kerry....I want to tell you I'm sorry you deal with so much.Reading your post here sounds exhausting as you go through a day.

God Bless.

Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR. Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Yep, Diane, that's me. I used to drop and pop right back up. Really prided myself on it actually. Then a couple times after severe coughing attacks when I would be too wiped out to do anything and just retired to bed I would get up and just walk to my master bathroom and my sat would drop into the 80's and it didn't pop right back up. It used to take real exertion to make it drop and then all of a sudden just a walk to the potty? It didn't make sense, but I thought it was still just because I was exhausted from the coughing fits. Then I noticed it started happening more and more just walking around my house. That's when I gave in and asked to be tested again for supplemental O2 and of course I got it. At first I didn't use it much, then it became something I couldn't deny or ignore. Without it I just couldn't function. Now when my husband turns it down for bedtime I have to be completely settled and still it's a fight to try to stay calm and realize I'm going to sleep and don't need it as high as w/ moving. I actually can be as good as 1 liter or even none sitting still, but w/ coughing attacks I can have 5 liters on the concentrator and 8 on the compressed shoved in my mouth and it still drops into the 70's half a dozen times. There are some times that like I said the doc said you can pump in all you want it just can't get thru. I really have tried to notice the specific activities that make mine drop, but it's hard. Doing my core strength class I've gotten to know which muscles or which moves will make it drop when I need to take a break, etc. Sometimes though there's just no explaining. Sometimes I can walk on 3 liters and be okay and sometimes at 5 I'm still in the 80's and pulse vs. continuous makes a huge difference. The heart rate also is an interesting one to watch. I can ride my recumbent bike and have my heartrate at 105, then I can brush my teeth and it's 130. I can walk on the treadmill and it's 127, I can cough and it's 148. I can sit still and be doing nothing and it's anywhere from the 70's to 140's... there's just too many factors (activity, muscles, body position, limb position, stretch, exertion, physical stress, mental stress, panic, adrenalin, how rested or not you are, environmental surroundings, air flow, air temp) in play to try to figure it all out.Still 18 digests behind and I've gotta go shower to take my son to the library, took this morning to do some catching up. Busy lately, plus had a couple down days after taking Boniva (had severe musculoskeletal pain... didn't like that one bit and really would like to not experience it ever again. I was really only prepared for nausea after asking all the board about the osteoporosis drugs).Kerry37 IPF '01 S. IN>> I am wondering if anyone has experienced a dramatic deterioration in SAT levels, literally from one day to the next? Up until last week, I could walk slowly around the house without using oxygen and my sats would stay at 91-93. All of a sudden, they will drop to 83 by walking 10 steps. Even on the oxygen, they are dropping to 85 while doing errands and walking slowly. My GP has checked to make sure that I do not have a blood clot in the lung. The scan was negative and he was going to try and contact my pulmo to see where to go from here. The radiologist feels it is related to the PF but the GP doesn't think that a change would occur so quickly. The other thing that is new is that my heart rate goes up to 110 walking a few steps, up to 130 brshing my teeth or taking a shower and 150 doing errands. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced such a quick change? Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.> Diane > IPF June 07> New Brunswick, Canada> > > __________________________________________________________> Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required. Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php>