prescription for tessalon perle and also a narcotic

cough syrup for nighttime. I'm keeping my fingers

crossed because my sides, stomach and back hurt from

the coughing. I'll defer to others with more

experience to respond to the oxygen question as I am

not on supplemental oxy .

You did not mention your fathers age...I'm 58 and some

days I wonder how much worse it can get. For an older

person I can see how it could be unbearable.

Roxanne

--- notejohn wrote:

> Thanks to all for respones to my fathers skin rash

> symptoms. My latest

> worry is the coughing. How much is to much? How

> often does coughing

> occur? Every day? Every weak? Does the coughing lead

> to the need for

> oxygen? How often do patients end up in ER because

> coughing gets

> unbearable? I just stopped in to see my father. His

> rash symptoms

> continue and the coughing started. Peace is

> returning as I type. He

> seems wiped out.

>

> Thanks again --

>

>

Guest guest

I cough thru out the day, Ive coughed until I got dizzy Ive coughed until I passed out Ive coughed until I threw up, because I am a women the constant pressure of coughing as led to one step away from depends and pads are on every grocery list. My ribs hurt to the touch, the cough as woken me from a good sleep. I would like to know also when do you know the serevent the qvar and the previntel arent working?

With Warm Regards,CKlisser"Be who you are, & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, & those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Suess ~

To: Breathe-Support From: notejohn@...Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:56:47 +0000Subject: coughing

Thanks to all for respones to my fathers skin rash symptoms. My latest worry is the coughing. How much is to much? How often does coughing occur? Every day? Every weak? Does the coughing lead to the need for oxygen? How often do patients end up in ER because coughing gets unbearable? I just stopped in to see my father. His rash symptoms continue and the coughing started. Peace is returning as I type. He seems wiped out.Thanks again -- With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you. Connect on the go.

Guest guest

Hi ,

I am new to the site---but I have had the same bouts of coughing that you are describing. I have found that Benzonatate 200mg (tessalone pearls) @ 3 times a day and a small drink of Vicks Nyquil at night work very well for me.

G. UIP/IPF 5/07 AZ

Subject: RE: coughingTo: breathe-support Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2008, 2:49 AM

I cough thru out the day, Ive coughed until I got dizzy Ive coughed until I passed out Ive coughed until I threw up, because I am a women the constant pressure of coughing as led to one step away from depends and pads are on every grocery list. My ribs hurt to the touch, the cough as woken me from a good sleep. I would like to know also when do you know the serevent the qvar and the previntel arent working?

With Warm Regards,CKlisser"Be who you are, & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, & those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Suess ~

To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comFrom: notejohnyahoo (DOT) comDate: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:56:47 +0000Subject: coughing

Thanks to all for respones to my fathers skin rash symptoms. My latest worry is the coughing. How much is to much? How often does coughing occur? Every day? Every weak? Does the coughing lead to the need for oxygen? How often do patients end up in ER because coughing gets unbearable? I just stopped in to see my father. His rash symptoms continue and the coughing started. Peace is returning as I type. He seems wiped out.Thanks again --

With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you. Connect on the go.

Guest guest

I haven't seen you here before, so first I will say welcome. You are among friends. Coughing, chugging, spitting, red faced and sore sided friends!

Is your cough productive. Mine is and I throw up a lot also. If yours is productive, then your main objective is to get that stuff out of there. I use nebulizers 4 times a day. It feels so good afterwards.

The inhalers don't help me as much. I carry albuterol, but rarely use it.

Suppressants like Tessalong Pearles and codine cough syrups are great if your cough is dry. But, it is not good to suppress a productive cough. The gunk needs to come out or infection will ensue.

Low 02 saturation is a culprit to consider. When my 02 drops, I cough.

Hugs, Joyce D.Pulmonary Fibrosis 1997 Bronchiectasis 2004 Pulmonary Hypertension 2008 Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (Lupus, RA, Sjogren's, etc) Rejected for Transplant 2006 .....I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palm of my hands. Isaiah 49: 15-16>> > I cough thru out the day, Ive coughed until I got dizzy Ive coughed until I passed out Ive coughed until I threw up, because I am a women the constant pressure of coughing as led to one step away from depends and pads are on every grocery list. My ribs hurt to the touch, the cough as woken me from a good sleep. I would like to know also when do you know the serevent the qvar and the previntel arent working?> > > With Warm Regards,CKlisser"Be who you are, & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, & those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Suess ~> > > To: Breathe-Support@...: notejohn@...: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:56:47 +0000Subject: coughing> > > > > Thanks to all for respones to my fathers skin rash symptoms. My latest worry is the coughing. How much is to much? How often does coughing occur? Every day? Every weak? Does the coughing lead to the need for oxygen? How often do patients end up in ER because coughing gets unbearable? I just stopped in to see my father. His rash symptoms continue and the coughing started. Peace is returning as I type. He seems wiped out.Thanks again -- > > > > > > > _________________________________________________________________> With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you.> http://www.windowslive.com/mobile/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_mobile_052008>

Guest guest

.....I don't cough as you do. Nevertheless I want to say I read your post. I don't mean to simplify what is a chronic and painful problem but wouldn't it seem your meds are NOT working??? I also don't take these meds but I'm presuming they are for coughing? Others here will be more help.

I'm so sorry. This kind of coughing is awful for you. What does your dr say?

BTW, in what state do you live? It won't help the cough, lol but who knows, maybe I have a neighbor!

Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR. Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

coughing

Thanks to all for respones to my fathers skin rash symptoms. My latest worry is the coughing. How much is to much? How often does coughing occur? Every day? Every weak? Does the coughing lead to the need for oxygen? How often do patients end up in ER because coughing gets unbearable? I just stopped in to see my father. His rash symptoms continue and the coughing started. Peace is returning as I type. He seems wiped out.Thanks again --

Guest guest

Welcome to the board!!

Am I correct in my understanding?... Your diagnosis of pulmonary fibrosis is based on a single chest x-ray? Have you had any other tests done? A CT scan, a pulmonary function test, a 6 minute walk? I'm asking only because a chest x-ray cannot definitively diagnose fibrosis. I think most everyone here would join me in saying if this is the case you might want to consider getting yourself to a pulmonologist possibly at a university medical center for a complete workup and accurate diagnosis

Guest guest

I have had many chest xrays, and quite a few of the breathing test, ultrasound and blood test,but no not a 6 min walk test.

With Warm Regards, Ali Klisser"Be who you are, & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, & those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Suess ~

To: Breathe-Support From: mbmurtha@...Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 08:33:01 -0700Subject: Re: Re: coughing

Welcome to the board!!

Am I correct in my understanding?... Your diagnosis of pulmonary fibrosis is based on a single chest x-ray? Have you had any other tests done? A CT scan, a pulmonary function test, a 6 minute walk? I'm asking only because a chest x-ray cannot definitively diagnose fibrosis. I think most everyone here would join me in saying if this is the case you might want to consider getting yourself to a pulmonologist possibly at a university medical center for a complete workup and accurate diagnosis

Guest guest

Welcome ! I love your Dr. Seus sign off. I am going to type it up and print it out and hang it on my bedroom wall. I am not glad you have PF but very glad you found us- Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 California

coughing> > > > > Thanks to all for respones to my fathers skin rash symptoms. My latest worry is the coughing. How much is to much? How often does coughing occur? Every day? Every weak? Does the coughing lead to the need for oxygen? How often do patients end up in ER because coughing gets unbearable? I just stopped in to see my father. His rash symptoms continue and the coughing started. Peace is returning as I type. He seems wiped out.Thanks again

-- > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ________> With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you.> http://www.windowsl ive.com/mobile/ overview. html?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_Refresh_ mobile_052008>

Get Free (PRODUCT) REDâ„¢ Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics. Check it out!

Guest guest

Actually, I think that location can make a big difference in the cough.

At least that has been my experience.Being one who lives in an RV

fulltime, I get the opportunity to live in many different parts of the

country. This winter was spent in Southern Florida near the ocean. My

cough was greatly reduced, generally having only a morning and an

evening spell. There was NO coughing at night, which was wonderful. I

am now back in ton, SC and the coughing has increased

significantly and unfortunately the night coughs are back. Since I'm

not near salt air here I'm beginning to think that may be a factor.

Also night time temperatures may be having an effect since it does get

cooler at night here. Still trying to put all this in context...

Bob Dopher IPF 04/07

>

> .....I don't cough as you do. Nevertheless I want to say I

read your post. I don't mean to simplify what is a chronic and painful

problem but wouldn't it seem your meds are NOT working??? I also don't

take these meds but I'm presuming they are for coughing? Others here

will be more help.

> I'm so sorry. This kind of coughing is awful for you. What does your

dr say?

> BTW, in what state do you live? It won't help the cough, lol but who

knows, maybe I have a neighbor!

> Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR.

> Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Guest guest

Actually, I think that location can make a big difference in the cough.

At least that has been my experience.Being one who lives in an RV

fulltime, I get the opportunity to live in many different parts of the

country. This winter was spent in Southern Florida near the ocean. My

cough was greatly reduced, generally having only a morning and an

evening spell. There was NO coughing at night, which was wonderful. I

am now back in ton, SC and the coughing has increased

significantly and unfortunately the night coughs are back. Since I'm

not near salt air here I'm beginning to think that may be a factor.

Also night time temperatures may be having an effect since it does get

cooler at night here. Still trying to put all this in context...

Bob Dopher IPF 04/07

>

> .....I don't cough as you do. Nevertheless I want to say I

read your post. I don't mean to simplify what is a chronic and painful

problem but wouldn't it seem your meds are NOT working??? I also don't

take these meds but I'm presuming they are for coughing? Others here

will be more help.

> I'm so sorry. This kind of coughing is awful for you. What does your

dr say?

> BTW, in what state do you live? It won't help the cough, lol but who

knows, maybe I have a neighbor!

> Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR.

> Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Guest guest

....totally off subject........

How did you get the smiley face and different font into your signature???

Very cute!

Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR. Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

coughing> > > > > Thanks to all for respones to my fathers skin rash symptoms. My latest worry is the coughing. How much is to much? How often does coughing occur? Every day? Every weak? Does the coughing lead to the need for oxygen? How often do patients end up in ER because coughing gets unbearable? I just stopped in to see my father. His rash symptoms continue and the coughing started. Peace is returning as I type. He seems wiped out.Thanks again -- > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ________> With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you.> http://www.windowsl ive.com/mobile/ overview. html?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_Refresh_ mobile_052008>

Guest guest

lol, thank you! the smiley face is off the hotmail huh? do hicky thingy.......lol (I may still be a newbie) finding cyber space God! love it and the lil face reminded me of a cyber geek lol so I keep him. The Dr. Suess quote ....when I first read it was on another sight, one of my pet peeves is family members not saying what the really feel and also gives me the freedom to put out there some of my thoughts some things need to be said even if its off the wall. So I keep that too. Thank you for all I felt alone in this, now I wonder do I have PF? I do have something lung related and its more about, others understanding what I go thru so its nice just nice I have you.

thank you for having me

With Warm Regards, Ali Klisser"Be who you are, & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, & those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Suess ~

To: Breathe-Support From: bofus@...Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 10:12:09 -0700Subject: Re: Re: coughing

....totally off subject........

How did you get the smiley face and different font into your signature???

Very cute!

coughing> > > > > Thanks to all for respones to my fathers skin rash symptoms. My latest worry is the coughing. How much is to much? How often does coughing occur? Every day? Every weak? Does the coughing lead to the need for oxygen? How often do patients end up in ER because coughing gets unbearable? I just stopped in to see my father. His rash symptoms continue and the coughing started. Peace is returning as I type. He seems wiped out.Thanks again -- > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ________> With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you.> http://www.windowsl ive.com/mobile/ overview. html?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_Refresh_ mobile_052008>

Guest guest

Yes, I was on Advair as well, I am now on Serevent 2 x's a day qvar 2 x's a day and previntel as I need it thru out the day, I have to say yes they do help alittle, if I do absolutely nothing like sit and watch a movie, hey i dont cough abit. but they dont help when i walk, laugh, you know LIVE! LOL.

To: Breathe-Support From: mbmurtha@...Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 11:39:47 -0700Subject: Re: Re: coughing

Thanks for clarifying that for me....I'm a worry wart by nature! My cough used to be horrible but has been about 75% better since I've been on O2. Low sats cause the majority of my coughing. The rest of my cough is fairly well controlled with Advair, 250/50 which I use twice a day. I still cough some but not much and not enough to disturb my sleep or interfere with most activities. I just need to be careful to keep my O2 sats up above 93 or so.

Beth

Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

Change everything. Love and Forgive

Stay in touch when you're away with Windows Live Messenger. IM anytime you're online.

Guest guest

It's so frustrating, I know. More so to be on these meds and know that they are not helping, that you continue to deal with the same symptoms in spite of the meds.

Are you on supplemental O2? Do you know what your sats are during activity? Just curious.....

Beth

coughing> > > > > Thanks to all for respones to my fathers skin rash symptoms. My latest worry is the coughing. How much is to much? How often does coughing occur? Every day? Every weak? Does the coughing lead to the need for oxygen? How often do patients end up in ER because coughing gets unbearable? I just stopped in to see my father. His rash symptoms continue and the coughing started. Peace is returning as I type. He seems wiped out.Thanks again

-- > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ________> With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you.> http://www.windowsl ive.com/mobile/ overview. html?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_Refresh_ mobile_052008>

Stay in touch when you're away with Windows Live Messenger. IM anytime you're online.

Guest guest

Coughing and location

My allergies were so much improved in South Florida so same experience

as you.

> >

> > .....I don't cough as you do. Nevertheless I want to say I

> read your post. I don't mean to simplify what is a chronic and painful

> problem but wouldn't it seem your meds are NOT working??? I also don't

> take these meds but I'm presuming they are for coughing? Others here

> will be more help.

> > I'm so sorry. This kind of coughing is awful for you. What does your

> dr say?

> > BTW, in what state do you live? It won't help the cough, lol but who

> knows, maybe I have a neighbor!

> > Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR.

> > Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

>

Guest guest

Yes Bob --I think you might be on to something with the cold weather. I live in Arizona and

feel better the warmer it gets. When I visit my sons in Washington State the cold air makes me cough more and I don't seem to breath as well.

Subject: Re: coughingTo: Breathe-Support Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2008, 8:41 PM

Coughing and locationMy allergies were so much improved in South Florida so same experienceas you.> >> > ... ..I don't cough as you do. Nevertheless I want to say I> read your post. I don't mean to simplify what is a chronic and painful> problem but wouldn't it seem your meds are NOT working??? I also don't> take these meds but I'm presuming they are for coughing? Others here> will be more help.> > I'm so sorry. This kind of coughing is awful for you. What does your> dr say?> > BTW, in what state do you live? It won't help the cough, lol but who> knows, maybe I have a

neighbor!> > Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR.> > Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!>

Guest guest

Yes. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. We throw terminology around here and assume everyone understands. I'm probably especially guilty of that because I am a nurse by education.

Anyway, yes the dohickey they put on your finger is an oximeter. It measures your pulse and the oxygen levels in your bloodstream. At between 92 and 97 your sats are in the "normal" range. Was that measured at rest (while you were sitting) or during some type of activity, like walking? It matters because most of us have oxygen levels that drop dramatically during any type of activity and that's why we need supplemental oxygen. O2 is just another name for Oxygen.

You are not the only person here who's had to fight the battle to quit smoking. Please keep trying. Whether you are consciously inhaling or not, the smoke damages your already compromised lungs and will only make things harder for you in the long run. Just keep trying. If you slip up, try again. You are worth it!!

Beth