RemedySpot.com

Re: Oximeter

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Joe, We have just recently had discussions about oximeters. Some have bought the $65. model and it works fine.some of us have a Nonin 9500, they run about $230. But which ever one you deside on get one. It is so importnt to keep your saturation above 90. I am a very old member.  (joke) but true. And I welcome you to the best most caring Air Family you can imagine. We are always so sorry when new people join because we KNOW the heart break you and your family are facing. Stick around and tell us about you. I promas you will learn more here from we patients that a visit with your Dr. That is on "How to Live with IPF"God Bless you with strength and wisdom to make all the right decisions for yourself.  Peggy, ipf 6/04 Florida  ♡Happy moments, praise God.Difficult moments, seek God.Quiet moments, worship God.Painful moments, trust God.Every moment, thank God. I a a brand new member with what is probably an old question. My IPF has recently beocme symtomatic, and my MD is writing an Rx for a pulse oximeter. Searching the Web I find oximeters ranging from $65 to the stratosphere. Does anyone have recommendations about price, brand, features etc?? thanks

Guest guest

Joe,

I have a Nonin 9500, and it cost somewhere in the area of $225 or so. I find it very accurate. Several people in this group have purchased the $65 model and are happy with it. Whatever you buy, just make sure it's FDA approved for medical use. There are some that are not, that are not very accurate and are only useful for sports type situations.

When I got mine I got my prescription, purchased it then submitted the invoice and script to my insurance carrier (Aetna at that time) for reimbursement. Some people get it through their durable medical equipment supplier and the insurance pays the supplier directly. I didn't do it that way because I wanted more control over which brand and model I purchased but both ways work.

Good luck!

Beth

Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

Change everything. Love and Forgive

Oximeter

I a a brand new member with what is probably an old question. My IPF has recently beocme symtomatic, and my MD is writing an Rx for a pulse oximeter. Searching the Web I find oximeters ranging from $65 to the stratosphere. Does anyone have recommendations about price, brand, features etc?? thanks

Guest guest

I'm ashamed to admit something. Can you guys give me the website for where I bought the 65.00 oximeter? I thought I had it, but of course I don't. Lincare was here today and upped the O2 to 3 at rest and 5 during exercise. He moved in a new concentrator and left 3 possible portables to try out to see which one fits for his life style. Love ya K Beth wrote: Joe, I have a Nonin 9500, and it cost somewhere in the area of $225 or so. I find it very accurate. Several people in this group have purchased the $65 model and are happy with it. Whatever you buy, just make sure it's FDA approved for medical use. There are some that are not, that are not very accurate and are only useful for sports type situations. When I got mine I got my prescription, purchased it then submitted the invoice and script to my insurance carrier (Aetna at that time) for reimbursement. Some people get it through their durable medical equipment supplier and the insurance pays the supplier directly. I didn't do it that way because I wanted more control over which brand and model I purchased but both ways work. Good luck! Beth Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Change everything. Love and Forgive Oximeter I a a brand new member with what is probably an old question. My IPF has recently beocme symtomatic, and my MD is writing an Rx for a pulse oximeter. Searching the Web I find oximeters ranging from $65 to the stratosphere. Does anyone have recommendations about price, brand, features etc?? thanks K Central Il Hubby ipf- 2006 As for me and my house, we will

serve the Lord 14

Guest guest

Joe....I bought the $65 one and it works just fine. Only one number off when I have it checked. It's FDA approved.

Welcome to our family. Lots of good information here and you will have a lot of questions.

When you sign off with name, add your state, diagnosis and date of. Helps us to keep people straight. How old are you?

Glad you are with us.

Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR. Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Oximeter

I a a brand new member with what is probably an old question. My IPF has recently beocme symtomatic, and my MD is writing an Rx for a pulse oximeter. Searching the Web I find oximeters ranging from $65 to the stratosphere. Does anyone have recommendations about price, brand, features etc?? thanks

Guest guest

I have no idea what make my oxymeter is, it's blue, does that help? It's a fingertip one and I got it off of ebay, cost me £30 that's about $60 I think. I checked its read out against the ones at the hospital and it's 1% off. It's guaranteed to be within 2% so that's fine.

I have learnt alot with it. I'm on 1L at rest, and up to 6L depending on what I'm doing. The oxymeter showed me that I need to be on 3L when driving! I suppose because you're using the upper body to drive, but for us with PF you're using more muscles in your upper body just to breathe. It also showed me that while the 6 min test is a useful diagnostic tool, it isn't practical for your actual activities during the day. For instance, my 6 min test is done inside in a level corridor, so I have no weather to fight against and no inclines to deal with, whereas in the real world the ground isn't level, I have a small child to have to grab from time to time, it doesn't test you out for pulling pots and pans out of the back of the cupboard etc. Having my own oxymeter has given me far more insight as to what I need.

Love Ze xx>> Joe,> I have a Nonin 9500, and it cost somewhere in the area of $225 or so. I find it very accurate. Several people in this group have purchased the $65 model and are happy with it. Whatever you buy, just make sure it's FDA approved for medical use. There are some that are not, that are not very accurate and are only useful for sports type situations.> When I got mine I got my prescription, purchased it then submitted the invoice and script to my insurance carrier (Aetna at that time) for reimbursement. Some people get it through their durable medical equipment supplier and the insurance pays the supplier directly. I didn't do it that way because I wanted more control over which brand and model I purchased but both ways work.> Good luck!> Beth > Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06> > Change everything. Love and Forgive > > > > > > Oximeter> > > I a a brand new member with what is probably an old question. My IPF > has recently beocme symtomatic, and my MD is writing an Rx for a pulse > oximeter. Searching the Web I find oximeters ranging from $65 to the > stratosphere. Does anyone have recommendations about price, brand, > features etc?? thanks>

Guest guest

Z, Very smart to check your oximeter often. When I have had these last few drops I wasn't checking very often then I would start feeling oxygen deprived in my legs and body. checked and sure enough up the 02 with the hose in my nose. I can't stand to have to bend over for more that a quick pick up of something. really hard to breathe. Stay well. Love Peggy, ipf 6/04 Florida  ♡Happy moments, praise God.Difficult moments, seek God.Quiet moments, worship God.Painful moments, trust God.Every moment, thank God. I have no idea what make my oxymeter is, it's blue, does that help?  It's a fingertip one and I got it off of ebay, cost me £30 that's about $60 I think.  I checked its read out against the ones at the hospital and it's 1% off.  It's guaranteed to be within 2% so that's fine.I have learnt alot with it.  I'm on 1L at rest, and up to 6L depending on what I'm doing.  The oxymeter showed me that I need to be on 3L when driving!  I suppose because you're using the upper body to drive, but for us with PF you're using more muscles in your upper body just to breathe.  It also showed me that while the 6 min test is a useful diagnostic tool, it isn't practical for your actual activities during the day.  For instance, my 6 min test is done inside in a level corridor, so I have no weather to fight against and no inclines to deal with, whereas in the real world the ground isn't level, I have a small child to have to grab from time to time, it doesn't test you out for pulling pots and pans out of the back of the cupboard etc.   Having my own oxymeter has given me far more insight as to what I need.Love Ze xx>> Joe,> I have a Nonin 9500, and it cost somewhere in the area of $225 or so. I find it very accurate. Several people in this group have purchased the $65 model and are happy with it. Whatever you buy, just make sure it's FDA approved for medical use. There are some that are not, that are not very accurate and are only useful for sports type situations.> When I got mine I got my prescription, purchased it then submitted the invoice and script to my insurance carrier (Aetna at that time) for reimbursement. Some people get it through their durable medical equipment supplier and the insurance pays the supplier directly. I didn't do it that way because I wanted more control over which brand and model I purchased but both ways work.> Good luck!>  Beth  > Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06>  > Change everything. Love and Forgive    >  >  > > > > Oximeter> > > I a a brand new member with what is probably an old question. My IPF > has recently beocme symtomatic, and my MD is writing an Rx for a pulse > oximeter. Searching the Web I find oximeters ranging from $65 to the > stratosphere. Does anyone have recommendations about price, brand, > features etc?? thanks>

Guest guest

Nope, bending over, I can't do that and not cough. I'm thinking of nicking my dad's spare 'helping hand' one of those grab things that give you a bit better reach.> >> > Joe,> > I have a Nonin 9500, and it cost somewhere in the area of $225 or > so. I find it very accurate. Several people in this group have > purchased the $65 model and are happy with it. Whatever you buy, just > make sure it's FDA approved for medical use. There are some that are > not, that are not very accurate and are only useful for sports type > situations.> > When I got mine I got my prescription, purchased it then submitted > the invoice and script to my insurance carrier (Aetna at that time) > for reimbursement. Some people get it through their durable medical > equipment supplier and the insurance pays the supplier directly. I > didn't do it that way because I wanted more control over which brand > and model I purchased but both ways work.> > Good luck!> > Beth> > Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06> >> > Change everything. Love and Forgive> >> >> >> >> >> > Oximeter> >> >> > I a a brand new member with what is probably an old question. My IPF> > has recently beocme symtomatic, and my MD is writing an Rx for a > pulse> > oximeter. Searching the Web I find oximeters ranging from $65 to the> > stratosphere. Does anyone have recommendations about price, brand,> > features etc?? thanks> >>

Guest guest

Hi Ze,

I was thinking of purchasing an oximeter. In the hospital my oxygen levels fell to 85. The nurse said it was due

to the pain and I wasn't breathing properly. I know it was due to my PF and lung dr ask them not to give me a lot

of fluids due to the fluid collection in my lungs. Lung dr did came in my hospital room a few times, to check up

on me. We did chat and laughed.

While in hospital had 2 CT Scans with 3 days and then 1 in 7 days) and lots of X-Rays

They did find I had a mild bilateral atelectasis.

-1.2cm cyst on my left kidney.

-On T8 Veterbrae (they found a benign hemangioma)

-In the near future I'll be going in surgery again for my Crohn's.....at the moment I'm stable...Also my dr's

learned their lesson, not to let this situation happen again because it was scary for all of us.

How can I purchase a oximeter? Do pharmacies sell them?

In October, I'm having my PFT's, follow-up CT Scan for the lungs and seeing lung dr all in the same day

I'm just glad I'm home.

Hugs

Irene

---- Original Message ----

To: Breathe-Support

Sent: Mon, 19 May 2008 3:30 pm

Subject: Re: Oximeter

Nope, bending over, I can't do that and not cough. I'm thinking of nicking my dad's spare 'helping hand' one of those grab things that give you a bit better reach.

> >

> > Joe,

> > I have a Nonin 9500, and it cost somewhere in the area of $225 or

> so. I find it very accurate. Several people in this group have

> purchased the $65 model and are happy with it. Whatever you buy, just

> make sure it's FDA approved for medical use. There are some that are

> not, that are not very accurate and are only useful for sports type

> situations.

> > When I got mine I got my prescription, purchased it then submitted

> the invoice and script to my insurance carrier (Aetna at that time)

> for reimbursement. Some people get it through their durable medical

> equipment supplier and the insurance pays the supplier directly. I

> didn't do it that way because I wanted more control over which brand

> and model I purchased but both ways work.

> > Good luck!

> > Beth

> > Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

> >

> > Change everything. Love and Forgive

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Oximeter

> >

> >

> > I a a brand new member with what is probably an old question. My IPF

> > has recently beocme symtomatic, and my MD is writing an Rx for a

> pulse

> > oximeter. Searching the Web I find oximeters ranging from $65 to the

> > stratosphere. Does anyone have recommendations about price, brand,

> > features etc?? thanks

> >

>

Meet the new AOL.ca. Free radio, music, videos, news & entertainment – with a Canadian perspective.

Guest guest

Hi Irene,

I got mine off of e-bay. Dead easy. And as I said I've learnt things that just hadn't occured to me. Some days I need more O2 for general use during the day. I don't know why I need more on those days, but I think it's good enough to know that I do.

I'm glad you're home too, sounds like you could do with a rest

Love Ze xx

> > >> > > Joe,> > > I have a Nonin 9500, and it cost somewhere in the area of $225 or > > so. I find it very accurate. Several people in this group have > > purchased the $65 model and are happy with it. Whatever you buy, just > > make sure it's FDA approved for medical use. There are some that are > > not, that are not very accurate and are only useful for sports type > > situations.> > > When I got mine I got my prescription, purchased it then submitted > > the invoice and script to my insurance carrier (Aetna at that time) > > for reimbursement. Some people get it through their durable medical > > equipment supplier and the insurance pays the supplier directly. I > > didn't do it that way because I wanted more control over which brand > > and model I purchased but both ways work.> > > Good luck!> > > Beth> > > Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06> > >> > > Change everything. Love and Forgive> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > Oximeter> > >> > >> > > I a a brand new member with what is probably an old question. My IPF> > > has recently beocme symtomatic, and my MD is writing an Rx for a > > pulse> > > oximeter. Searching the Web I find oximeters ranging from $65 to the> > > stratosphere. Does anyone have recommendations about price, brand,> > > features etc?? thanks> > >> >> > > > > ________________________________________________________________________> Meet the new AOL.ca. Free radio, music, videos, news & entertainment â€" with a Canadian perspective.>

Guest guest

Irene...I posted the site to purchase an oximeter...did you see it? I bought one for $65...works great...only 1 number off when I check it. www.portablenebs.com

Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR. Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Oximeter> >> >> > I a a brand new member with what is probably an old question. My IPF> > has recently beocme symtomatic, and my MD is writing an Rx for a > pulse> > oximeter. Searching the Web I find oximeters ranging from $65 to the> > stratosphere. Does anyone have recommendations about price, brand,> > features etc?? thanks> >>

Meet the new AOL.ca. Free radio, music, videos, news & entertainment – with a Canadian perspective.

Guest guest

Sher,

No. I haven't seen it yet. Thanks for the website.

Hugs

Irene

---- Original Message ----

To: Breathe-Support

Sent: Mon, 19 May 2008 6:36 pm

Subject: Re: Re: Oximeter

Irene...I posted the site to purchase an oximeter...did you see it? I bought one for $65...works great...only 1 number off when I check it. www.portablenebs.com

Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR.

Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Oximeter

> >

> >

> > I a a brand new member with what is probably an old question. My IPF

> > has recently beocme symtomatic, and my MD is writing an Rx for a

> pulse

> > oximeter. Searching the Web I find oximeters ranging from $65 to the

> > stratosphere. Does anyone have recommendations about price, brand,

> > features etc?? thanks

> >

>

Guest guest

This is the one I use, my pulmonologist was impressed.

Steve 60 from WA IPF 2006 Parkinsons 2008

Alzheimers 2008

Reply-To: Breathe-Support To: <Breathe-Support >Subject: Re: Re: OximeterDate: Mon, 19 May 2008 15:36:44 -0700

Oximeter> >> >> > I a a brand new member with what is probably an old question. My IPF> > has recently beocme symtomatic, and my MD is writing an Rx for a > pulse> > oximeter. Searching the Web I find oximeters ranging from $65 to the> > stratosphere. Does anyone have recommendations about price, brand,> > features etc?? thanks> >>

Guest guest

Joe,

If you give the prescription to your oxygen provider they will get you a really nice one. Or, at least that is what mine did. I have a hand held oximeter like the doc uses. My invoice said $1450.00! Insurance paid.

Try, can't hurt.

Hugs, Joyce D.Pulmonary Fibrosis 1997 Bronchiectasis 2004 Pulmonary Hypertension 2008 Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (Lupus, RA, Sjogren's, etc) Rejected for Transplant 2006 .....I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palm of my hands. Isaiah 49: 15-16

>> I a a brand new member with what is probably an old question. My IPF > has recently beocme symtomatic, and my MD is writing an Rx for a pulse > oximeter. Searching the Web I find oximeters ranging from $65 to the > stratosphere. Does anyone have recommendations about price, brand, > features etc?? thanks>