RemedySpot.com

Elisa

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Beth, I was one person who swore that I would never take the drugs. When faced with the alternative, it is a very different story. Diane IPF June 07New Brunswick, Canada

So glad I've found you all!

Dear lovely people,My name is and I just turned 52. I live in Mansfield, TX and I'm a 6th grade teacher in my last three weeks of school. My story is long and I'm hoping one of you can give me some help and guidance. I am great at giving the same, and hope that I can reciprocate in the future.I've been reading hundreds of past posts for two days seeking answers I wasn't given in this miserable month since diagnosis. In Jan.2007, I had a major coughing spell and had a breathing treatment the night of my dad's visitation at the funeral home. Not having a regular doctor at the time, I went to one of those "doc-in-the box" places where I liked the doctor. Then, last summer, I had a horrible cough and fever twice and was diagnosed by the same doctor both times with bronchitis and put on antibiotics. She never would do a chest X-ray. Flash forward to Dec. '07 when the cough came back in

spades. I had also started losing weight. I went to another clinic and had X-rays, but no pneumonia. Repeat of this in early January. I did get a couple of asthma sprays, cough meds w/codiene, and nose spray, but coughed day and night. By March, I finally made an appointment with a "good" doctor. He also went the allergy route on the treatment, even though I said I'd had fever many times. I had lost 20 lbs. since November '07. By mid-March, I came in demanding that I needed help. He X-rayed me and said I had pneumonia (same DRY cough) More antibiotics, one horrible drug reaction to Cipro, and probably more damage done. Two weeks more and I went back for a follow-up. I said to him that I thought I had Lupus (my internet research) because I was having numb fingers, (Reynaud's, I now know)weight loss, and coughing. No, he said. Then...he did an X-ray, heard the crackles, came back in stricken looking.

He said I might be looking at an autoimmune disease and interstitial lung disease or some infiltrates. WHAT????? Can't anybody see this on X-rays?? He got me in for a sinus scan and set an appt. with a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist ran a RA panel and I tested high in the whole panel, but I only seem to have symtom's of Sjogren's. I had 84% pulmonary functioning. I then had a CT done and an asthma test(of course, negative). This doctor was the worst! He read the CT scan for the first time in my presence (had it two days) and didn't happen to see "severe pulmonary fibrosis" or just didn't care enough. No treatment plan was given, no information except lung scarring from autoimmune disease. He stood the whole time like he was in a hurry. He told me to see a rheumatologist as soon as possible. The next week when I saw her, the nurse read those words to us and I was shocked. I have been on prednisone

for three weeks and feel like I have been thrown out in the water by the medical profession, totally in charge of figuring out what to do physically and mentally. The pulmonologist has since left the location, cancelled all appointments, and in his new location has appointments in June. My PCP has sent all info to UT Southwestern in Dallas to get me on with a great doctor. It could be weeks. Meanwhile, I've had pain and anxiousness, and the need for information. I have been back to PCP, but he does not want to order a scan knowing how much I've been radiated. He told me to watch for signs of a blood clot. I guess I would go to the emergency room with extreme pain. I don't know about exercise, breathing exercises, food to eat, how to sleep at night to maximize breathing, or how to quit obsessing about dying in the next ten years. This has been like a new full-time job. I have friends and some family,

but feel like I'm on a downward spiral.If you've read to the end here, bless your caring heart! I am an English teacher on steroids, so I wrote a lot! Thanks so much for any advice, prayers, direction you can throw my way.

E-mail for the greater good. Join the i¢m Initiative from Microsoft.

Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo! Answers.

Guest guest

Beth, Great information, and thanks. Do you have any residual effects such as more bone loss? I was already into menopause and had osteopenia on the bone scan before the prednisone. I'm taking calcium and vitamin D. Was your GERD present before prednisone and are you still treated for it? It is fantastic that your situation has been stablized. Any blood sugar issues now? Do you work, Beth? Did you work while on the prednisone? I am a teacher wondering if I will be fit to work next year in a stressful environment where there are many infections present. My husband is self-employed and has real crummy insurance. I am one and a half years from a full retirement, but don't know what the next six months will bring or what dr. will recommend. I had planned to work until at least age 57, but know now that this is not to be. I know an illness like this can wipe you out financially. I sure wish I

hadn't bought that new car three months ago!! We're already thinking about what we might have to sell and are in a bit of a tailspin. Wow, it's nice to be here and finally be among understanding people! Beth wrote: , I'm not but I thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in about prednisone. I was on it from June of 06 till

October of 06 at doses of up to 100mg a day. Beginning in October of 06 my pulmo began weaning me off and I was off completely by February of 07. I had many side effects, sleeplessness,restlessness, unstable blood sugar, oral yeast infections,GERD, etc etc etc. BUT the prednisone stablized my disease. I firmly believe that the IV steroid in the hospital saved my life and the oral prednisone allowed continued stablization of my illness. I was also fortunate in that I had a pulmonologist who aggressively managed my side effects and was entirely supportive of me. I've been off now for over a year (except for the inhaled steroid in the Advair that I use twice a day) and remain stable. I will not hesitate to take prednisone again if or when I begin to deteriorate. I take the Advair, by the way, to control my cough. They feel it puts the steroid where it will do the most good, inhaled directly it does seem to control

the worst of my cough. Prednisone is a very controversial medication. Some here would never take it under any circumstances. I, obviously don't feel that way. Everyone has to decide for themselves. Some forms of fibrosis respond to prednisone, some don't. I'm fortunate to have a type that does. One word about weight gain. Given your weight loss over the last several months I wouldn't worry overly about gaining some weight. It would probably benefit you to gain some. Just be aware of the overwhelming cravings that hit some folks on this med. It's easy when that hits to just inhale alot of "empty calories" and that's where the problem can come in. It sounds like you're already aware of the importance of eating well so you're way ahead of the game. Take care! Beth Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Change everything. Love and Forgive So glad I've found you all! Dear lovely people,My name is and I just turned 52. I live in Mansfield, TX and I'm a 6th grade teacher in my last three weeks of school. My story is long and I'm hoping one of you can give me some help and guidance. I am great at giving the same, and hope

that I can reciprocate in the future.I've been reading hundreds of past posts for two days seeking answers I wasn't given in this miserable month since diagnosis. In Jan.2007, I had a major coughing spell and had a breathing treatment the night of my dad's visitation at the funeral home. Not having a regular doctor at the time, I went to one of those "doc-in-the box" places where I liked the doctor. Then, last summer, I had a horrible cough and fever twice and was diagnosed by the same doctor both times with bronchitis and put on antibiotics. She never would do a chest X-ray. Flash forward to Dec. '07 when the cough came back in spades. I had also started losing weight. I went to another clinic and had X-rays, but no pneumonia. Repeat of this in early January. I did get a couple of asthma sprays, cough meds w/codiene, and nose spray, but coughed day and night. By March, I finally made an appointment with a "good"

doctor. He also went the allergy route on the treatment, even though I said I'd had fever many times. I had lost 20 lbs. since November '07. By mid-March, I came in demanding that I needed help. He X-rayed me and said I had pneumonia (same DRY cough) More antibiotics, one horrible drug reaction to Cipro, and probably more damage done. Two weeks more and I went back for a follow-up. I said to him that I thought I had Lupus (my internet research) because I was having numb fingers, (Reynaud's, I now know)weight loss, and coughing. No, he said. Then...he did an X-ray, heard the crackles, came back in stricken looking. He said I might be looking at an autoimmune disease and interstitial lung disease or some infiltrates. WHAT????? Can't anybody see this on X-rays?? He got me in for a sinus scan and set an appt. with a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist ran a RA panel and I tested high in the whole panel, but I only seem to

have symtom's of Sjogren's. I had 84% pulmonary functioning. I then had a CT done and an asthma test(of course, negative). This doctor was the worst! He read the CT scan for the first time in my presence (had it two days) and didn't happen to see "severe pulmonary fibrosis" or just didn't care enough. No treatment plan was given, no information except lung scarring from autoimmune disease. He stood the whole time like he was in a hurry. He told me to see a rheumatologist as soon as possible. The next week when I saw her, the nurse read those words to us and I was shocked. I have been on prednisone for three weeks and feel like I have been thrown out in the water by the medical profession, totally in charge of figuring out what to do physically and mentally. The pulmonologist has since left the location, cancelled all appointments, and in his new location has appointments in June. My PCP has sent all info to UT

Southwestern in Dallas to get me on with a great doctor. It could be weeks. Meanwhile, I've had pain and anxiousness, and the need for information. I have been back to PCP, but he does not want to order a scan knowing how much I've been radiated. He told me to watch for signs of a blood clot. I guess I would go to the emergency room with extreme pain. I don't know about exercise, breathing exercises, food to eat, how to sleep at night to maximize breathing, or how to quit obsessing about dying in the next ten years. This has been like a new full-time job. I have friends and some family, but feel like I'm on a downward spiral.If you've read to the end here, bless your caring heart! I am an English teacher on steroids, so I wrote a lot! Thanks so much for any advice, prayers, direction you can throw my way. E-mail for the greater good. Join the i¢m Initiative from Microsoft.

Guest guest

You're asking so many great questions, you really are way ahead of the game trying to gather as much information as possible in order to make the best decision for you.

I had no knowledge of the GERD before the prednisone but it's likely I had it prior to my illness. The only symptom I've ever had of the gerd is a cough after I eat. That's it, no pain, no heartburn, no burping or gas or anything else. Just the cough after eating. While on the prednisone I took Nexium 40mg twice a day. Now I'm down to 40mg once a day and it seems to be stable.

I was pre-menopausal when I started the prednisone. I did not get my period the entire time I was on it and it's returned post prednisone sporadically. At almost 49 I'm close to menopause but I'm not there yet. I don't have any bone density issues and they have checked. While on the prednisone my doctor had me taking Calcium, Vitamin D and Boniva to hopefully prevent any bone loss issues. I'll likely go back on Boniva once I hit menopause.

As far as my blood sugar goes, I had issues when my prednisone dose was more than 20mg daily. I tested my blood sugar twice a day and gave myself small doses of insulin when my blood sugar warranted it. I've not had any lingering issues with my blood sugar at all.

And last but not least work....I have not been able to work since my hospitalization in June of 06. My last day at work was Friday 5/26/06 and I was in the ICU by Monday the 29th. Actually that's not completely accurate. I attempted to work a couple of days in August that summer but it was a nightmare. I was still adjusting to being on oxygen and I was on very high doses of prednisone...it just wasn't meant to be. My company was tremendously uncomfortable with me there a living breathing reminder that ones health can be precarious. I got fatigued really easily and there wasn't any way I could be at all productive. That experiment ended really quickly. I applied for SSDI and it was approved in February of 07. I carried my insurance via Cobra for many months and now I'm in the 24 month waiting period for Medicare. I get excellent care at Duke University Medical Center courtesy of their charity program and a very generous payment plan they've

got me on.

That does not mean you won't be able to work. We have a member here, Steve. He's around my age and we were actually in Pulmonary Rehab together. He's a teacher and has continued to work through lots of medical....crap for lack of a better word. My only caution would be that your immune system will be supressed on the pred and you will be much more susceptible to infection. I had one bought of bronchitis while I was on prednisone and it wasn't pleasant. Just make your decision carefully.

I'm so glad you're here and I know I speak for everyone when I say we will all help in whatever way we can!

Beth

Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

Change everything. Love and Forgive

Dear lovely people,My name is and I just turned 52. I live in Mansfield, TX and I'm a 6th grade teacher in my last three weeks of school. My story is long and I'm hoping one of you can give me some help and guidance. I am great at giving the same, and hope that I can reciprocate in the future.I've been reading hundreds of past posts for two days seeking answers I wasn't given in this miserable month since diagnosis. In Jan.2007, I had a major coughing spell and had a breathing treatment the night of my dad's visitation at the funeral home. Not having a regular doctor at the time, I went to one of those "doc-in-the box" places where I liked the doctor. Then, last summer, I had a horrible cough and fever twice and was diagnosed by the same doctor both times with bronchitis and put on antibiotics. She never would do a chest X-ray. Flash forward to Dec. '07 when the cough came back in

spades. I had also started losing weight. I went to another clinic and had X-rays, but no pneumonia. Repeat of this in early January. I did get a couple of asthma sprays, cough meds w/codiene, and nose spray, but coughed day and night. By March, I finally made an appointment with a "good" doctor. He also went the allergy route on the treatment, even though I said I'd had fever many times. I had lost 20 lbs. since November '07. By mid-March, I came in demanding that I needed help. He X-rayed me and said I had pneumonia (same DRY cough) More antibiotics, one horrible drug reaction to Cipro, and probably more damage done. Two weeks more and I went back for a follow-up. I said to him that I thought I had Lupus (my internet research) because I was having numb fingers, (Reynaud's, I now know)weight loss, and coughing. No, he said. Then...he did an X-ray, heard the crackles, came back in stricken looking.

He said I might be looking at an autoimmune disease and interstitial lung disease or some infiltrates. WHAT????? Can't anybody see this on X-rays?? He got me in for a sinus scan and set an appt. with a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist ran a RA panel and I tested high in the whole panel, but I only seem to have symtom's of Sjogren's. I had 84% pulmonary functioning. I then had a CT done and an asthma test(of course, negative). This doctor was the worst! He read the CT scan for the first time in my presence (had it two days) and didn't happen to see "severe pulmonary fibrosis" or just didn't care enough. No treatment plan was given, no information except lung scarring from autoimmune disease. He stood the whole time like he was in a hurry. He told me to see a rheumatologist as soon as possible. The next week when I saw her, the nurse read those words to us and I was shocked. I have been on prednisone

for three weeks and feel like I have been thrown out in the water by the medical profession, totally in charge of figuring out what to do physically and mentally. The pulmonologist has since left the location, cancelled all appointments, and in his new location has appointments in June. My PCP has sent all info to UT Southwestern in Dallas to get me on with a great doctor. It could be weeks. Meanwhile, I've had pain and anxiousness, and the need for information. I have been back to PCP, but he does not want to order a scan knowing how much I've been radiated. He told me to watch for signs of a blood clot. I guess I would go to the emergency room with extreme pain. I don't know about exercise, breathing exercises, food to eat, how to sleep at night to maximize breathing, or how to quit obsessing about dying in the next ten years. This has been like a new full-time job. I have friends and some family,

but feel like I'm on a downward spiral.If you've read to the end here, bless your caring heart! I am an English teacher on steroids, so I wrote a lot! Thanks so much for any advice, prayers, direction you can throw my way.

Guest guest

...If you have a firm diagnosis you can file for disability.

Once you are 65 you cannot file for disability because you will be on S/S.

We sold our lovely home and (fast forward) are now living in a subsidized apt. We bought a new car because it's the last one we'll have I'm sure.

I know the financial worries you do/will have. I hope you gave good medical ins for the days coming. You said your husband has crummy ins. Maybe, fingers crossed, you can get to full retirement. I pray so.

Our medical bills and now the economy going sky high makes easy livin' a thing of the past.

Gas here where we live (Oregon) is nearly $4. Eggs,$2.53, can you imagine? Bread is $2.50 a loaf. On and on.

Good planning will sure be a necessity won't it!

Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR. Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Dear lovely people,My name is and I just turned 52. I live in Mansfield, TX and I'm a 6th grade teacher in my last three weeks of school. My story is long and I'm hoping one of you can give me some help and guidance. I am great at giving the same, and hope that I can reciprocate in the future.I've been reading hundreds of past posts for two days seeking answers I wasn't given in this miserable month since diagnosis. In Jan.2007, I had a major coughing spell and had a breathing treatment the night of my dad's visitation at the funeral home. Not having a regular doctor at the time, I went to one of those "doc-in-the box" places where I liked the doctor. Then, last summer, I had a horrible cough and fever twice and was diagnosed by the same doctor both times with bronchitis and put on antibiotics. She never would do a chest X-ray. Flash forward to Dec. '07 when the cough came back in spades. I had also started losing weight. I went to another clinic and had X-rays, but no pneumonia. Repeat of this in early January. I did get a couple of asthma sprays, cough meds w/codiene, and nose spray, but coughed day and night. By March, I finally made an appointment with a "good" doctor. He also went the allergy route on the treatment, even though I said I'd had fever many times. I had lost 20 lbs. since November '07. By mid-March, I came in demanding that I needed help. He X-rayed me and said I had pneumonia (same DRY cough) More antibiotics, one horrible drug reaction to Cipro, and probably more damage done. Two weeks more and I went back for a follow-up. I said to him that I thought I had Lupus (my internet research) because I was having numb fingers, (Reynaud's, I now know)weight loss, and coughing. No, he said. Then...he did an X-ray, heard the crackles, came back in stricken looking. He said I might be looking at an autoimmune disease and interstitial lung disease or some infiltrates. WHAT????? Can't anybody see this on X-rays?? He got me in for a sinus scan and set an appt. with a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist ran a RA panel and I tested high in the whole panel, but I only seem to have symtom's of Sjogren's. I had 84% pulmonary functioning. I then had a CT done and an asthma test(of course, negative). This doctor was the worst! He read the CT scan for the first time in my presence (had it two days) and didn't happen to see "severe pulmonary fibrosis" or just didn't care enough. No treatment plan was given, no information except lung scarring from autoimmune disease. He stood the whole time like he was in a hurry. He told me to see a rheumatologist as soon as possible. The next week when I saw her, the nurse read those words to us and I was shocked. I have been on prednisone for three weeks and feel like I have been thrown out in the water by the medical profession, totally in charge of figuring out what to do physically and mentally. The pulmonologist has since left the location, cancelled all appointments, and in his new location has appointments in June. My PCP has sent all info to UT Southwestern in Dallas to get me on with a great doctor. It could be weeks. Meanwhile, I've had pain and anxiousness, and the need for information. I have been back to PCP, but he does not want to order a scan knowing how much I've been radiated. He told me to watch for signs of a blood clot. I guess I would go to the emergency room with extreme pain. I don't know about exercise, breathing exercises, food to eat, how to sleep at night to maximize breathing, or how to quit obsessing about dying in the next ten years. This has been like a new full-time job. I have friends and some family, but feel like I'm on a downward spiral.If you've read to the end here, bless your caring heart! I am an English teacher on steroids, so I wrote a lot! Thanks so much for any advice, prayers, direction you can throw my way.

Guest guest

Hi ,

I too am 52 and was an 8th grade English teacher until I quit 2 years ago after my biopsy. My story is incredibly similar to yours. Coughed so much in my classroom I couldn't speak after 3rd period each day. Had several bouts of bronchitis, incredible fatigue,seem to be at the doctor's constantly and no one did an xray! I have learned so much from everyone on this site, but mainly I think there are no pat answers and since all of us react differently to food, medications and exercise, you almost have to attack this disease with the idea that you will try new things and discard them if they don't work for you. Anyway, from one English teacher to another-WELCOME! I am sorry you needed to join us, but so glad you did. Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 California

So glad I've found you all!Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 20:44:30 -0000

Guest guest

, Thanks so much for answering my frantic call for answers. I'm still so nervous about everything that is happening to me. I woke up not breathing well this early AM, so I am thinking way too much right now. Did you take prednisone? Did you have to quit in the middle of a school year? Did you go on disability retirement? How is your condition now? Are you on o2? Thanks for your comments and help, . denise randel wrote: Hi , I too am 52 and was an 8th grade English teacher until I quit 2 years ago after my biopsy. My story is incredibly similar to yours. Coughed so much in my classroom I couldn't speak after 3rd period each day. Had several bouts of bronchitis, incredible fatigue,seem to be at the doctor's constantly and no one did an xray! I have learned so much from everyone on this site, but mainly I think there are no pat answers and since all of us react differently to food, medications and exercise, you almost have to attack this disease with the idea that you will

try new things and discard them if they don't work for you. Anyway, from one English teacher to another-WELCOME! I am sorry you needed to join us, but so glad you did. Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 California So glad I've found you all!Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 20:44:30 -0000 Dear lovely people,My name is and I just turned 52. I live in Mansfield, TX and I'm a 6th grade teacher in my last three weeks of school. My story is long and I'm hoping one of you can give me some help and guidance. I am great at giving

the same, and hope that I can reciprocate in the future.I've been reading hundreds of past posts for two days seeking answers I wasn't given in this miserable month since diagnosis. In Jan.2007, I had a major coughing spell and had a breathing treatment the night of my dad's visitation at the funeral home. Not having a regular doctor at the time, I went to one of those "doc-in-the box" places where I liked the doctor. Then, last summer, I had a horrible cough and fever twice and was diagnosed by the same doctor both times with bronchitis and put on antibiotics. She never would do a chest X-ray. Flash forward to Dec. '07 when the cough came back in spades. I had also started losing weight. I went to another clinic and had X-rays, but no pneumonia. Repeat of this in early January. I did get a couple of asthma sprays, cough meds w/codiene, and nose spray, but coughed day and night. By March, I finally made an

appointment with a "good" doctor. He also went the allergy route on the treatment, even though I said I'd had fever many times. I had lost 20 lbs. since November '07. By mid-March, I came in demanding that I needed help. He X-rayed me and said I had pneumonia (same DRY cough) More antibiotics, one horrible drug reaction to Cipro, and probably more damage done. Two weeks more and I went back for a follow-up. I said to him that I thought I had Lupus (my internet research) because I was having numb fingers, (Reynaud's, I now know)weight loss, and coughing. No, he said. Then...he did an X-ray, heard the crackles, came back in stricken looking. He said I might be looking at an autoimmune disease and interstitial lung disease or some infiltrates. WHAT????? Can't anybody see this on X-rays?? He got me in for a sinus scan and set an appt. with a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist ran a RA panel and I tested high in the whole

panel, but I only seem to have symtom's of Sjogren's. I had 84% pulmonary functioning. I then had a CT done and an asthma test(of course, negative). This doctor was the worst! He read the CT scan for the first time in my presence (had it two days) and didn't happen to see "severe pulmonary fibrosis" or just didn't care enough. No treatment plan was given, no information except lung scarring from autoimmune disease. He stood the whole time like he was in a hurry. He told me to see a rheumatologist as soon as possible. The next week when I saw her, the nurse read those words to us and I was shocked. I have been on prednisone for three weeks and feel like I have been thrown out in the water by the medical profession, totally in charge of figuring out what to do physically and mentally. The pulmonologist has since left the location, cancelled all appointments, and in his new location has appointments in June. My PCP has

sent all info to UT Southwestern in Dallas to get me on with a great doctor. It could be weeks. Meanwhile, I've had pain and anxiousness, and the need for information. I have been back to PCP, but he does not want to order a scan knowing how much I've been radiated. He told me to watch for signs of a blood clot. I guess I would go to the emergency room with extreme pain. I don't know about exercise, breathing exercises, food to eat, how to sleep at night to maximize breathing, or how to quit obsessing about dying in the next ten years. This has been like a new full-time job. I have friends and some family, but feel like I'm on a downward spiral.If you've read to the end here, bless your caring heart! I am an English teacher on steroids, so I wrote a lot! Thanks so much for any advice, prayers, direction you can throw my way.

Guest guest

I also agree that how I got this disease is irrelevant. It would be different if mine was familial, as then that would impact on my daughter as well as my brother and my nephews. Mine was caused by an immune disease, but I don't know why I developed that. It isn't something I can do anything about and I have been assured that it wasn't my fault.

There is a theory the autoimmune diseases are brought about by an overload to the immune system and since I had split up with my fiance, had a nasty ear infection, hurt my back and lost my mum in the space of a couple of months shortly before I started getting symptoms I think that kind of bares it out.

Love Ze xx> Hi ,> I too am 52 and was an 8th grade English teacher until I quit 2 years ago after my biopsy. My story is incredibly similar to yours. Coughed so much in my classroom I couldn't speak after 3rd period each day. Had several bouts of bronchitis, incredible fatigue,seem to be at the doctor's constantly and no one did an xray! I have learned so much from everyone on this site, but mainly I think there are no pat answers and since all of us react differently to food, medications and exercise, you almost have to attack this disease with the idea that you will try new things and discard them if they don't work for you. Anyway, from one English teacher to another-WELCOME! I am sorry you needed to join us, but so glad you did. > > Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 California> > > > > So glad I've found you all!> Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 20:44:30 -0000> > > Dear lovely people,> > My name is and I just turned 52. I live in Mansfield, TX and > I'm a 6th grade teacher in my last three weeks of school. My story is > long and I'm hoping one of you can give me some help and guidance. I > am great at giving the same, and hope that I can reciprocate in the > future.> > I've been reading hundreds of past posts for two days seeking answers > I wasn't given in this miserable month since diagnosis. In Jan.2007, > I had a major coughing spell and had a breathing treatment the night > of my dad's visitation at the funeral home. Not having a regular > doctor at the time, I went to one of those "doc-in-the box" places > where I liked the doctor. Then, last summer, I had a horrible cough > and fever twice and was diagnosed by the same doctor both times with > bronchitis and put on antibiotics. She never would do a chest X-ray. > Flash forward to Dec. '07 when the cough came back in spades. I had > also started losing weight. I went to another clinic and had X-rays, > but no pneumonia. Repeat of this in early January. I did get a couple > of asthma sprays, cough meds w/codiene, and nose spray, but coughed > day and night. By March, I finally made an appointment with a "good" > doctor. He also went the allergy route on the treatment, even though > I said I'd had fever many times. I had lost 20 lbs. since > November '07. By mid-March, I came in demanding that I needed help. > He X-rayed me and said I had pneumonia (same DRY cough) More > antibiotics, one horrible drug reaction to Cipro, and probably more > damage done. Two weeks more and I went back for a follow-up. I said > to him that I thought I had Lupus (my internet research) because I > was having numb fingers, (Reynaud's, I now know)weight loss, and > coughing. No, he said. Then...he did an X-ray, heard the crackles, > came back in stricken looking. He said I might be looking at an > autoimmune disease and interstitial lung disease or some infiltrates. > WHAT????? Can't anybody see this on X-rays?? He got me in for a sinus > scan and set an appt. with a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist ran a > RA panel and I tested high in the whole panel, but I only seem to > have symtom's of Sjogren's. I had 84% pulmonary functioning. I then > had a CT done and an asthma test(of course, negative). This doctor > was the worst! He read the CT scan for the first time in my presence > (had it two days) and didn't happen to see "severe pulmonary > fibrosis" or just didn't care enough. No treatment plan was given, no > information except lung scarring from autoimmune disease. He stood > the whole time like he was in a hurry. He told me to see a > rheumatologist as soon as possible. The next week when I saw her, the > nurse read those words to us and I was shocked. I have been on > prednisone for three weeks and feel like I have been thrown out in > the water by the medical profession, totally in charge of figuring > out what to do physically and mentally. The pulmonologist has since > left the location, cancelled all appointments, and in his new > location has appointments in June. My PCP has sent all info to UT > Southwestern in Dallas to get me on with a great doctor. It could be > weeks. Meanwhile, I've had pain and anxiousness, and the need for > information. I have been back to PCP, but he does not want to order > a scan knowing how much I've been radiated. He told me to watch for > signs of a blood clot. I guess I would go to the emergency room with > extreme pain. I don't know about exercise, breathing exercises, food > to eat, how to sleep at night to maximize breathing, or how to quit > obsessing about dying in the next ten years. This has been like a new > full-time job. I have friends and some family, but feel like I'm on a > downward spiral.> > If you've read to the end here, bless your caring heart! I am an > English teacher on steroids, so I wrote a lot! Thanks so much for any > advice, prayers, direction you can throw my way. > > > > > > > > > > > > > K> Central Il> Hubby ipf- 2006> As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord> 14> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------> > No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG. > Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 269.23.20/1453 - Release Date: 5/18/2008 9:31 AM>

Guest guest

I agree . Z The U of C seems to want to know what caused Don's ipf. ly, I don't care.... He has it and I would just like to cure it. Fat chance!!!!!! K Zion wrote: To , K and all the other teachers.....I specifically asked my pulmonologist if the NSIP could have been caused by the chalk dust ofmore than 24 years of teaching. He said that the biopsy ruled it out for

me. In fact, my pottery didn't cause thisand all other environmental chemicals were ruled out too. No auto-immune stuff either! My ILD otherwise known as NSIP ( a form of PF) was a result of infection ( bacterial or viral) that came and went without my being really a aware. He called it" opportunistic"great...I asked if the opportun ity could happen again! He said"probably not! "I was probably ill for about 4 months before the coughing and SOB got my attention..I know that is strange..but my Dad was dyingfrom Pancreatic cancer, I was trying to keep my Mom OK and totally not focused on me at all.My Dad died in May 2005 and I went to the family doctor in July due to the coughing and SOB. She sent me forXrays, bloodwork, specialists, HRCT and PFT's , 6 minute walks, and finally the lung biopsy in late August sealed the deal.Everyone here has a different list of" maybe it was caused by" and it really doesn't

matter...I still have an ILD, I'm still on O2 24/7and enough medications to be a walking chemistry experiment.So it's almost 3 years and counting!So, don't use up your energy with what if's ...keep it for living the best you can now.We only get one go around..and mine is going to be on the carousels I love with my family along for the ride.There are many teachers on this board and we all learn from each other.I just read a post from our Vickie who quoted a prayer from our departed Ginger .It really made me think!I hope you read both of the posts...their outlook on life shows their strength, faith, and love. Z 64, fibriotic NSIP/o5/PA And “mild” PH/10/07 and Reynaud’s too!! No, NSIP was not self-inflicted…I never smoked! Potter, reader,carousel lover and MomMom to Darah and Sara “I’m gonna be iron like a lion in Zion” Bob Marley <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--> <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--> Kennelly wrote: Hey

girls, Makes ya wonder--------chalk dust? A thought. K Illinoisdenise randel <dnsrndl> wrote: Hi , I too am 52 and was an 8th grade English teacher until I quit 2 years ago after my biopsy. My story is incredibly similar to yours. Coughed so much in my classroom I couldn't speak after 3rd period each day. Had several bouts of bronchitis, incredible fatigue,seem to be at the doctor's constantly and no one did an xray! I have learned so much from everyone on this site, but mainly I think there are no pat answers and since all of us react differently to food, medications and exercise, you almost have to attack this disease with the idea

that you will try new things and discard them if they don't work for you. Anyway, from one English teacher to another-WELCOME! I am sorry you needed to join us, but so glad you did. Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 California So glad I've found you all!Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 20:44:30 -0000 Dear lovely people,My name is and I just turned 52. I live in Mansfield, TX and I'm a 6th grade teacher in my last three weeks of school. My story is

long and I'm hoping one of you can give me some help and guidance. I am great at giving the same, and hope that I can reciprocate in the future.I've been reading hundreds of past posts for two days seeking answers I wasn't given in this miserable month since diagnosis. In Jan.2007, I had a major coughing spell and had a breathing treatment the night of my dad's visitation at the funeral home. Not having a regular doctor at the time, I went to one of those "doc-in-the box" places where I liked the doctor. Then, last summer, I had a horrible cough and fever twice and was diagnosed by the same doctor both times with bronchitis and put on antibiotics. She never would do a chest X-ray. Flash forward to Dec. '07 when the cough came back in spades. I had also started losing weight. I went to another clinic and had X-rays, but no pneumonia. Repeat of this in early January. I did get a couple of asthma sprays, cough

meds w/codiene, and nose spray, but coughed day and night. By March, I finally made an appointment with a "good" doctor. He also went the allergy route on the treatment, even though I said I'd had fever many times. I had lost 20 lbs. since November '07. By mid-March, I came in demanding that I needed help. He X-rayed me and said I had pneumonia (same DRY cough) More antibiotics, one horrible drug reaction to Cipro, and probably more damage done. Two weeks more and I went back for a follow-up. I said to him that I thought I had Lupus (my internet research) because I was having numb fingers, (Reynaud's, I now know)weight loss, and coughing. No, he said. Then...he did an X-ray, heard the crackles, came back in stricken looking. He said I might be looking at an autoimmune disease and interstitial lung disease or some infiltrates. WHAT????? Can't anybody see this on X-rays?? He got me in for a sinus scan and set an appt.

with a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist ran a RA panel and I tested high in the whole panel, but I only seem to have symtom's of Sjogren's. I had 84% pulmonary functioning. I then had a CT done and an asthma test(of course, negative). This doctor was the worst! He read the CT scan for the first time in my presence (had it two days) and didn't happen to see "severe pulmonary fibrosis" or just didn't care enough. No treatment plan was given, no information except lung scarring from autoimmune disease. He stood the whole time like he was in a hurry. He told me to see a rheumatologist as soon as possible. The next week when I saw her, the nurse read those words to us and I was shocked. I have been on prednisone for three weeks and feel like I have been thrown out in the water by the medical profession, totally in charge of figuring out what to do physically and mentally. The pulmonologist has since left the location,

cancelled all appointments, and in his new location has appointments in June. My PCP has sent all info to UT Southwestern in Dallas to get me on with a great doctor. It could be weeks. Meanwhile, I've had pain and anxiousness, and the need for information. I have been back to PCP, but he does not want to order a scan knowing how much I've been radiated. He told me to watch for signs of a blood clot. I guess I would go to the emergency room with extreme pain. I don't know about exercise, breathing exercises, food to eat, how to sleep at night to maximize breathing, or how to quit obsessing about dying in the next ten years. This has been like a new full-time job. I have friends and some family, but feel like I'm on a downward spiral.If you've read to the end here, bless your caring heart! I am an English teacher on steroids, so I wrote a lot! Thanks so much for any advice, prayers, direction you can throw my way.

K Central Il Hubby ipf- 2006 As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord 14 No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG. Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 269.23.20/1453 - Release Date: 5/18/2008 9:31 AM K Central Il Hubby ipf- 2006 As for me and my

house, we will serve the Lord 14

Guest guest

Chalk Dust?

I have so often wondered why so many teachers sign on to our group. I also see them on other forums for lung disease. Do you think??

When I was a kid, many many years ago, it was a privilage to be appointed to take the erasers outside and smack them together until all the chalk dust was beaten out of them. I remember clouds of that dust.

Curious.

Hugs, Joyce D.Pulmonary Fibrosis 1997 Bronchiectasis 2004 Pulmonary Hypertension 2008 Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (Lupus, RA, Sjogren's, etc) Rejected for Transplant 2006 .....I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palm of my hands. Isaiah 49: 15-16> > Hi ,> I too am 52 and was an 8th grade English teacher until I quit 2 years ago after my biopsy. My story is incredibly similar to yours. Coughed so much in my classroom I couldn't speak after 3rd period each day. Had several bouts of bronchitis, incredible fatigue,seem to be at the doctor's constantly and no one did an xray! I have learned so much from everyone on this site, but mainly I think there are no pat answers and since all of us react differently to food, medications and exercise, you almost have to attack this disease with the idea that you will try new things and discard them if they don't work for you. Anyway, from one English teacher to another-WELCOME! I am sorry you needed to join us, but so glad you did. > > Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 California> > > So glad I've found you all!> Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 20:44:30 -0000> > Dear lovely people,> > My name is and I just turned 52. I live in Mansfield, TX and > I'm a 6th grade teacher in my last three weeks of school. My story is > long and I'm hoping one of you can give me some help and guidance. I > am great at giving the same, and hope that I can reciprocate in the > future.> > I've been reading hundreds of past posts for two days seeking answers > I wasn't given in this miserable month since diagnosis. In Jan.2007, > I had a major coughing spell and had a breathing treatment the night > of my dad's visitation at the funeral home. Not having a regular > doctor at the time, I went to one of those "doc-in-the box" places > where I liked the doctor. Then, last summer, I had a horrible cough > and fever twice and was diagnosed by the same doctor both times with > bronchitis and put on antibiotics. She never would do a chest X-ray. > Flash forward to Dec. '07 when the cough came back in spades. I had > also started losing weight. I went to another clinic and had X-rays, > but no pneumonia. Repeat of this in early January. I did get a couple > of asthma sprays, cough meds w/codiene, and nose spray, but coughed > day and night. By March, I finally made an appointment with a "good" > doctor. He also went the allergy route on the treatment, even though > I said I'd had fever many times. I had lost 20 lbs. since > November '07. By mid-March, I came in demanding that I needed help. > He X-rayed me and said I had pneumonia (same DRY cough) More > antibiotics, one horrible drug reaction to Cipro, and probably more > damage done. Two weeks more and I went back for a follow-up. I said > to him that I thought I had Lupus (my internet research) because I > was having numb fingers, (Reynaud's, I now know)weight loss, and > coughing. No, he said. Then...he did an X-ray, heard the crackles, > came back in stricken looking. He said I might be looking at an > autoimmune disease and interstitial lung disease or some infiltrates. > WHAT????? Can't anybody see this on X-rays?? He got me in for a sinus > scan and set an appt. with a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist ran a > RA panel and I tested high in the whole panel, but I only seem to > have symtom's of Sjogren's. I had 84% pulmonary functioning. I then > had a CT done and an asthma test(of course, negative). This doctor > was the worst! He read the CT scan for the first time in my presence > (had it two days) and didn't happen to see "severe pulmonary > fibrosis" or just didn't care enough. No treatment plan was given, no > information except lung scarring from autoimmune disease. He stood > the whole time like he was in a hurry. He told me to see a > rheumatologist as soon as possible. The next week when I saw her, the > nurse read those words to us and I was shocked. I have been on > prednisone for three weeks and feel like I have been thrown out in > the water by the medical profession, totally in charge of figuring > out what to do physically and mentally. The pulmonologist has since > left the location, cancelled all appointments, and in his new > location has appointments in June. My PCP has sent all info to UT > Southwestern in Dallas to get me on with a great doctor. It could be > weeks. Meanwhile, I've had pain and anxiousness, and the need for > information. I have been back to PCP, but he does not want to order > a scan knowing how much I've been radiated. He told me to watch for > signs of a blood clot. I guess I would go to the emergency room with > extreme pain. I don't know about exercise, breathing exercises, food > to eat, how to sleep at night to maximize breathing, or how to quit > obsessing about dying in the next ten years. This has been like a new > full-time job. I have friends and some family, but feel like I'm on a > downward spiral.> > If you've read to the end here, bless your caring heart! I am an > English teacher on steroids, so I wrote a lot! Thanks so much for any > advice, prayers, direction you can throw my way. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > K> Central Il> Hubby ipf- 2006> As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord> 14>

Guest guest

I have always used this dust-free chalk or a dry erase board. There is mold in this building, I'm sure. I spent a day looking into the EPA coming to my classroom and doing a check. I did send an e-mail but never received a reply. I have a brick wall that oozes liquid and some ceiling tiles that have stains. You gotta know that there are microrganisms lurking. I told my principal that my dr. kept asking about environmental factors and I would like him to check my wall. So far, no luck. Super virus, extreme stress, or whatever, I guess I'll never know.Joyce wrote: Chalk Dust? I have so often wondered why so many teachers sign on to our group. I also see them on other forums for lung disease. Do you think?? When I was a kid, many many years ago, it was a privilage to be appointed to take the erasers outside and smack them together until all the chalk dust was beaten out of them. I remember clouds of that dust. Curious. Hugs, Joyce D.Pulmonary Fibrosis 1997 Bronchiectasis 2004 Pulmonary Hypertension 2008 Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (Lupus, RA, Sjogren's, etc) Rejected for Transplant 2006 .....I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palm of my hands. Isaiah 49: 15-16> > Hi ,> I too am 52 and was an 8th grade English teacher until I quit 2 years ago after my biopsy. My story is incredibly similar to yours. Coughed so much in my classroom I couldn't speak after 3rd period each day. Had several bouts of bronchitis, incredible fatigue,seem to be at the doctor's constantly and no one did an xray! I have learned so much from everyone on this site, but mainly I think there are no pat answers and

since all of us react differently to food, medications and exercise, you almost have to attack this disease with the idea that you will try new things and discard them if they don't work for you. Anyway, from one English teacher to another-WELCOME! I am sorry you needed to join us, but so glad you did. > > Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 California> > > So glad I've found you all!> Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 20:44:30 -0000> > Dear lovely people,> > My name is and I just turned 52. I live in Mansfield, TX and > I'm a 6th grade teacher in my last three weeks of school. My story is > long and I'm hoping one of you can give me some help and guidance. I > am great at giving the same, and hope that I can reciprocate in the > future.> > I've been reading hundreds of past posts for two days seeking answers > I wasn't given in this miserable month since diagnosis. In Jan.2007, > I had a major coughing spell and had a breathing treatment the

night > of my dad's visitation at the funeral home. Not having a regular > doctor at the time, I went to one of those "doc-in-the box" places > where I liked the doctor. Then, last summer, I had a horrible cough > and fever twice and was diagnosed by the same doctor both times with > bronchitis and put on antibiotics. She never would do a chest X-ray. > Flash forward to Dec. '07 when the cough came back in spades. I had > also started losing weight. I went to another clinic and had X-rays, > but no pneumonia. Repeat of this in early January. I did get a couple > of asthma sprays, cough meds w/codiene, and nose spray, but coughed > day and night. By March, I finally made an appointment with a "good" > doctor. He also went the allergy route on the treatment, even though > I said I'd had fever many times. I had lost 20 lbs. since > November '07. By mid-March, I came in demanding that I

needed help. > He X-rayed me and said I had pneumonia (same DRY cough) More > antibiotics, one horrible drug reaction to Cipro, and probably more > damage done. Two weeks more and I went back for a follow-up. I said > to him that I thought I had Lupus (my internet research) because I > was having numb fingers, (Reynaud's, I now know)weight loss, and > coughing. No, he said. Then...he did an X-ray, heard the crackles, > came back in stricken looking. He said I might be looking at an > autoimmune disease and interstitial lung disease or some infiltrates. > WHAT????? Can't anybody see this on X-rays?? He got me in for a sinus > scan and set an appt. with a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist ran a > RA panel and I tested high in the whole panel, but I only seem to > have symtom's of Sjogren's. I had 84% pulmonary functioning. I then > had a CT done and an asthma test(of course, negative).

This doctor > was the worst! He read the CT scan for the first time in my presence > (had it two days) and didn't happen to see "severe pulmonary > fibrosis" or just didn't care enough. No treatment plan was given, no > information except lung scarring from autoimmune disease. He stood > the whole time like he was in a hurry. He told me to see a > rheumatologist as soon as possible. The next week when I saw her, the > nurse read those words to us and I was shocked. I have been on > prednisone for three weeks and feel like I have been thrown out in > the water by the medical profession, totally in charge of figuring > out what to do physically and mentally. The pulmonologist has since > left the location, cancelled all appointments, and in his new > location has appointments in June. My PCP has sent all info to UT > Southwestern in Dallas to get me on with a great doctor. It could be

> weeks. Meanwhile, I've had pain and anxiousness, and the need for > information. I have been back to PCP, but he does not want to order > a scan knowing how much I've been radiated. He told me to watch for > signs of a blood clot. I guess I would go to the emergency room with > extreme pain. I don't know about exercise, breathing exercises, food > to eat, how to sleep at night to maximize breathing, or how to quit > obsessing about dying in the next ten years. This has been like a new > full-time job. I have friends and some family, but feel like I'm on a > downward spiral.> > If you've read to the end here, bless your caring heart! I am an > English teacher on steroids, so I wrote a lot! Thanks so much for any > advice, prayers, direction you can throw my way. > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > K> Central Il> Hubby ipf- 2006> As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord> 14>

Guest guest

, I am pretty new to the Group. Sorry to butt in . The Gov. Agencies will not support anyone in that matter. I have reported my home to so many agencies, even the city knows, what are they doing, fining me. The CDC they ignored me. I have reported to so many and it all falls on deaf ears. They are beind ins. not us. Here is a page for you to figure out what you would like to do. Read a little, never hurts. Good Luck in All !!!

God Bless !!!

http://www.mold-help.org/

dragonflymcs

Mayleen 02/07 ILD / MCS/ Fibro/ RADS/ TMJD/ AR +18

So glad I've found you all!> Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 20:44:30 -0000> > Dear lovely people,> > My name is and I just turned 52. I live in Mansfield, TX and > I'm a 6th grade teacher in my last three weeks of school. My story is > long and I'm hoping one of you can give me some help and guidance. I > am great at giving the same, and hope that I can

reciprocate in the > future.> > I've been reading hundreds of past posts for two days seeking answers > I wasn't given in this miserable month since diagnosis. In Jan.2007, > I had a major coughing spell and had a breathing treatment the night > of my dad's visitation at the funeral home. Not having a regular > doctor at the time, I went to one of those "doc-in-the box" places > where I liked the doctor. Then, last summer, I had a horrible cough > and fever twice and was diagnosed by the same doctor both times with > bronchitis and put on antibiotics. She never would do a chest X-ray. > Flash forward to Dec. '07 when the cough came back in spades. I had > also started losing weight. I went to another clinic and had X-rays, > but no pneumonia. Repeat of this in early January. I did get a couple > of asthma sprays, cough meds w/codiene, and nose spray, but

coughed > day and night. By March, I finally made an appointment with a "good" > doctor. He also went the allergy route on the treatment, even though > I said I'd had fever many times. I had lost 20 lbs. since > November '07. By mid-March, I came in demanding that I needed help. > He X-rayed me and said I had pneumonia (same DRY cough) More > antibiotics, one horrible drug reaction to Cipro, and probably more > damage done. Two weeks more and I went back for a follow-up. I said > to him that I thought I had Lupus (my internet research) because I > was having numb fingers, (Reynaud's, I now know)weight loss, and > coughing. No, he said. Then...he did an X-ray, heard the crackles, > came back in stricken looking. He said I might be looking at an > autoimmune disease and interstitial lung disease or some infiltrates. > WHAT????? Can't anybody see this on X-rays?? He

got me in for a sinus > scan and set an appt. with a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist ran a > RA panel and I tested high in the whole panel, but I only seem to > have symtom's of Sjogren's. I had 84% pulmonary functioning. I then > had a CT done and an asthma test(of course, negative). This doctor > was the worst! He read the CT scan for the first time in my presence > (had it two days) and didn't happen to see "severe pulmonary > fibrosis" or just didn't care enough. No treatment plan was given, no > information except lung scarring from autoimmune disease. He stood > the whole time like he was in a hurry. He told me to see a > rheumatologist as soon as possible. The next week when I saw her, the > nurse read those words to us and I was shocked. I have been on > prednisone for three weeks and feel like I have been thrown out in > the water by the medical

profession, totally in charge of figuring > out what to do physically and mentally. The pulmonologist has since > left the location, cancelled all appointments, and in his new > location has appointments in June. My PCP has sent all info to UT > Southwestern in Dallas to get me on with a great doctor. It could be > weeks. Meanwhile, I've had pain and anxiousness, and the need for > information. I have been back to PCP, but he does not want to order > a scan knowing how much I've been radiated. He told me to watch for > signs of a blood clot. I guess I would go to the emergency room with > extreme pain. I don't know about exercise, breathing exercises, food > to eat, how to sleep at night to maximize breathing, or how to quit > obsessing about dying in the next ten years. This has been like a new > full-time job. I have friends and some family, but feel like I'm on a

> downward spiral.> > If you've read to the end here, bless your caring heart! I am an > English teacher on steroids, so I wrote a lot! Thanks so much for any > advice, prayers, direction you can throw my way. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > K> Central Il> Hubby ipf- 2006> As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord> 14>

Guest guest

I'm happy for your responses, although I probably won't act on them at the moment. I have noticed my own spelling is going downhill, on this site! Thanks for your insight!dragonflymcs wrote: , I am pretty new to the Group. Sorry to butt in . The Gov. Agencies will not support anyone in that matter. I have reported my home

to so many agencies, even the city knows, what are they doing, fining me. The CDC they ignored me. I have reported to so many and it all falls on deaf ears. They are beind ins. not us. Here is a page for you to figure out what you would like to do. Read a little, never hurts. Good Luck in All !!! God Bless !!! http://www.mold-help.org/ dragonflymcs Mayleen 02/07 ILD / MCS/ Fibro/ RADS/ TMJD/ AR +18 So glad I've found you all!> Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 20:44:30 -0000> > Dear lovely people,> > My name is and I just turned 52. I live in Mansfield, TX and

> I'm a 6th grade teacher in my last three weeks of school. My story is > long and I'm hoping one of you can give me some help and guidance. I > am great at giving the same, and hope that I can reciprocate in the > future.> > I've been reading hundreds of past posts for two days seeking answers > I wasn't given in this miserable month since diagnosis. In Jan.2007, > I had a major coughing spell and had a breathing treatment the night > of my dad's visitation at the funeral home. Not having a regular > doctor at the time, I went to one of those "doc-in-the box" places > where I liked the doctor. Then, last summer, I had a horrible cough > and fever twice and was diagnosed by the same doctor both times with > bronchitis and put on antibiotics. She never would do a chest X-ray. > Flash forward to Dec. '07 when the cough came back in spades. I had > also started losing

weight. I went to another clinic and had X-rays, > but no pneumonia. Repeat of this in early January. I did get a couple > of asthma sprays, cough meds w/codiene, and nose spray, but coughed > day and night. By March, I finally made an appointment with a "good" > doctor. He also went the allergy route on the treatment, even though > I said I'd had fever many times. I had lost 20 lbs. since > November '07. By mid-March, I came in demanding that I needed help. > He X-rayed me and said I had pneumonia (same DRY cough) More > antibiotics, one horrible drug reaction to Cipro, and probably more > damage done. Two weeks more and I went back for a follow-up. I said > to him that I thought I had Lupus (my internet research) because I > was having numb fingers, (Reynaud's, I now know)weight loss, and > coughing. No, he said. Then...he did an X-ray, heard the crackles, > came back in stricken

looking. He said I might be looking at an > autoimmune disease and interstitial lung disease or some infiltrates. > WHAT????? Can't anybody see this on X-rays?? He got me in for a sinus > scan and set an appt. with a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist ran a > RA panel and I tested high in the whole panel, but I only seem to > have symtom's of Sjogren's. I had 84% pulmonary functioning. I then > had a CT done and an asthma test(of course, negative). This doctor > was the worst! He read the CT scan for the first time in my presence > (had it two days) and didn't happen to see "severe pulmonary > fibrosis" or just didn't care enough. No treatment plan was given, no > information except lung scarring from autoimmune disease. He stood > the whole time like he was in a hurry. He told me to see a > rheumatologist as soon as possible. The next week when I saw her, the > nurse read those words

to us and I was shocked. I have been on > prednisone for three weeks and feel like I have been thrown out in > the water by the medical profession, totally in charge of figuring > out what to do physically and mentally. The pulmonologist has since > left the location, cancelled all appointments, and in his new > location has appointments in June. My PCP has sent all info to UT > Southwestern in Dallas to get me on with a great doctor. It could be > weeks. Meanwhile, I've had pain and anxiousness, and the need for > information. I have been back to PCP, but he does not want to order > a scan knowing how much I've been radiated. He told me to watch for > signs of a blood clot. I guess I would go to the emergency room with > extreme pain. I don't know about exercise, breathing exercises, food > to eat, how to sleep at night to maximize breathing, or how to quit > obsessing about dying

in the next ten years. This has been like a new > full-time job. I have friends and some family, but feel like I'm on a > downward spiral.> > If you've read to the end here, bless your caring heart! I am an > English teacher on steroids, so I wrote a lot! Thanks so much for any > advice, prayers, direction you can throw my way. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > K> Central Il> Hubby ipf- 2006> As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord> 14>

Guest guest

My Pleasure. I threw much no one listened, they still are not. Yeah, it affects all we do, confusion, memory etc. we do the best we can. No critics. Take care!!! It affcets your neurological system. There is more on that site. Mostly read other people's stories!

dragonflymcs

Mayleen 02/07 ILD / MCS/ Fibro/ RADS/ TMJD/ AR +18

So glad I've found you all!> Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 20:44:30 -0000> > Dear lovely people,> > My name is and I just turned 52. I live in Mansfield, TX and > I'm a 6th grade teacher in my last three weeks of school. My story is > long and I'm hoping one of you can give me some help and guidance. I > am great at giving the same, and hope that I can

reciprocate in the > future.> > I've been reading hundreds of past posts for two days seeking answers > I wasn't given in this miserable month since diagnosis. In Jan.2007, > I had a major coughing spell and had a breathing treatment the night > of my dad's visitation at the funeral home. Not having a regular > doctor at the time, I went to one of those "doc-in-the box" places > where I liked the doctor. Then, last summer, I had a horrible cough > and fever twice and was diagnosed by the same doctor both times with > bronchitis and put on antibiotics. She never would do a chest X-ray. > Flash forward to Dec. '07 when the cough came back in spades. I had > also started losing weight. I went to another clinic and had X-rays, > but no pneumonia. Repeat of this in early January. I did get a couple > of asthma sprays, cough meds w/codiene, and nose spray, but

coughed > day and night. By March, I finally made an appointment with a "good" > doctor. He also went the allergy route on the treatment, even though > I said I'd had fever many times. I had lost 20 lbs. since > November '07. By mid-March, I came in demanding that I needed help. > He X-rayed me and said I had pneumonia (same DRY cough) More > antibiotics, one horrible drug reaction to Cipro, and probably more > damage done. Two weeks more and I went back for a follow-up. I said > to him that I thought I had Lupus (my internet research) because I > was having numb fingers, (Reynaud's, I now know)weight loss, and > coughing. No, he said. Then...he did an X-ray, heard the crackles, > came back in stricken looking. He said I might be looking at an > autoimmune disease and interstitial lung disease or some infiltrates. > WHAT????? Can't anybody see this on X-rays?? He

got me in for a sinus > scan and set an appt. with a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist ran a > RA panel and I tested high in the whole panel, but I only seem to > have symtom's of Sjogren's. I had 84% pulmonary functioning. I then > had a CT done and an asthma test(of course, negative). This doctor > was the worst! He read the CT scan for the first time in my presence > (had it two days) and didn't happen to see "severe pulmonary > fibrosis" or just didn't care enough. No treatment plan was given, no > information except lung scarring from autoimmune disease. He stood > the whole time like he was in a hurry. He told me to see a > rheumatologist as soon as possible. The next week when I saw her, the > nurse read those words to us and I was shocked. I have been on > prednisone for three weeks and feel like I have been thrown out in > the water by the medical

profession, totally in charge of figuring > out what to do physically and mentally. The pulmonologist has since > left the location, cancelled all appointments, and in his new > location has appointments in June. My PCP has sent all info to UT > Southwestern in Dallas to get me on with a great doctor. It could be > weeks. Meanwhile, I've had pain and anxiousness, and the need for > information. I have been back to PCP, but he does not want to order > a scan knowing how much I've been radiated. He told me to watch for > signs of a blood clot. I guess I would go to the emergency room with > extreme pain. I don't know about exercise, breathing exercises, food > to eat, how to sleep at night to maximize breathing, or how to quit > obsessing about dying in the next ten years. This has been like a new > full-time job. I have friends and some family, but feel like I'm on a

> downward spiral.> > If you've read to the end here, bless your caring heart! I am an > English teacher on steroids, so I wrote a lot! Thanks so much for any > advice, prayers, direction you can throw my way. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > K> Central Il> Hubby ipf- 2006> As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord> 14>

Guest guest

, I also taught in a rather unsafe

situation for a year. It was a "temporary" building ( sort of like a

pre-fab home)

that had been in use for at least 15 years. We did not have black

boards or white boards either...just a chalk board on wheels!!!

Mind you this is a community college!!! After I became ill ,several

years later,I called the HR office to inquire about EPA

testing of that building and the paperwork from the EPA showed no mold

or other problematic conditions!!!

So,I crossed that possibility off my list of "what ifs". There are so

many ways to get an ILD...hopefully many causes will be

determined in the future. I need to look forward for my own peace of

mind...going back over the could have/should haves takes precious

energy away that I'd rather spend on my two beautiful grand daughters

and all my family and friends. I've become rather self -absorbed due

to this NSIP,

and I'm not entirely happy about it. But, being a bit selfish is

helping me to set priorities and save my time and energy for the good

things around me.

I've posted a few new pictures of both my girls...They re the most

beautiful girls around...I'm allowed to say that!

Z fibriotic NSIP/05

Z 64,

fibriotic NSIP/o5/PA

And “mild”

PH/10/07 and Reynaud’s too!!

No, NSIP was not

self-inflicted…I never smoked!

Potter,

reader,carousel lover and MomMom to

Darah

and Sara

“I’m gonna be

iron like a lion in Zion” Bob Marley

Cole wrote:

I have always used this dust-free chalk

or a dry erase board. There is mold in this building, I'm sure. I spent

a day looking into the EPA coming to my classroom and doing a check. I

did send an e-mail but never received a reply. I have a brick wall

that oozes liquid and some ceiling tiles that have stains. You gotta

know that there are microrganisms lurking. I told my principal that my

dr. kept asking about environmental factors and I would like him to

check my wall. So far, no luck. Super virus, extreme stress, or

whatever, I guess I'll never know.

Joyce <janne5303> wrote:

Chalk Dust?

I have so often

wondered why so many teachers sign on to our group. I also see them on

other forums for lung disease. Do you think??

When I was a

kid, many many years ago, it was a privilage to be appointed to take

the erasers outside and smack them together until all the chalk dust

was beaten out of them. I remember clouds of that dust.

Curious.

Hugs,

Joyce D.

Pulmonary

Fibrosis 1997 Bronchiectasis 2004 Pulmonary Hypertension 2008

Mixed Connective

Tissue Disease (Lupus, RA, Sjogren's, etc) Rejected for Transplant

......I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palm of

my hands. Isaiah 49: 15-16

>

> Hi ,

> I too am 52 and was an 8th grade English teacher until I quit 2

years ago after my biopsy. My story is incredibly similar to yours.

Coughed so much in my classroom I couldn't speak after 3rd period each

day. Had several bouts of bronchitis, incredible fatigue,seem to be at

the doctor's constantly and no one did an xray! I have learned so much

from everyone on this site, but mainly I think there are no pat answers

and since all of us react differently to food, medications and

exercise, you almost have to attack this disease with the idea that you

will try new things and discard them if they don't work for you.

Anyway, from one English teacher to another-WELCOME! I am sorry you

needed to join us, but so glad you did.

>

> Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 California

>

>

> So glad I've found you all!

> Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 20:44:30 -0000

>

> Dear lovely people,

>

> My name is and I just turned 52. I live in Mansfield, TX and

> I'm a 6th grade teacher in my last three weeks of school. My story

is

> long and I'm hoping one of you can give me some help and guidance.

I

> am great at giving the same, and hope that I can reciprocate in

the

> future.

>

> I've been reading hundreds of past posts for two days seeking

answers

> I wasn't given in this miserable month since diagnosis. In

Jan.2007,

> I had a major coughing spell and had a breathing treatment the

night

> of my dad's visitation at the funeral home. Not having a regular

> doctor at the time, I went to one of those "doc-in-the box" places

> where I liked the doctor. Then, last summer, I had a horrible

cough

> and fever twice and was diagnosed by the same doctor both times

with

> bronchitis and put on antibiotics. She never would do a chest

X-ray.

> Flash forward to Dec. '07 when the cough came back in spades. I

had

> also started losing weight. I went to another clinic and had

X-rays,

> but no pneumonia. Repeat of this in early January. I did get a

couple

> of asthma sprays, cough meds w/codiene, and nose spray, but

coughed

> day and night. By March, I finally made an appointment with a

"good"

> doctor. He also went the allergy route on the treatment, even

though

> I said I'd had fever many times. I had lost 20 lbs. since

> November '07. By mid-March, I came in demanding that I needed

help.

> He X-rayed me and said I had pneumonia (same DRY cough) More

> antibiotics, one horrible drug reaction to Cipro, and probably

more

> damage done. Two weeks more and I went back for a follow-up. I

said

> to him that I thought I had Lupus (my internet research) because I

> was having numb fingers, (Reynaud's, I now know)weight loss, and

> coughing. No, he said. Then...he did an X-ray, heard the crackles,

> came back in stricken looking. He said I might be looking at an

> autoimmune disease and interstitial lung disease or some

infiltrates.

> WHAT????? Can't anybody see this on X-rays?? He got me in for a

sinus

> scan and set an appt. with a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist ran

a

> RA panel and I tested high in the whole panel, but I only seem to

> have symtom's of Sjogren's. I had 84% pulmonary functioning. I

then

> had a CT done and an asthma test(of course, negative). This doctor

> was the worst! He read the CT scan for the first time in my

presence

> (had it two days) and didn't happen to see "severe pulmonary

> fibrosis" or just didn't care enough. No treatment plan was given,

no

> information except lung scarring from autoimmune disease. He stood

> the whole time like he was in a hurry. He told me to see a

> rheumatologist as soon as possible. The next week when I saw her,

the

> nurse read those words to us and I was shocked. I have been on

> prednisone for three weeks and feel like I have been thrown out in

> the water by the medical profession, totally in charge of figuring

> out what to do physically and mentally. The pulmonologist has

since

> left the location, cancelled all appointments, and in his new

> location has appointments in June. My PCP has sent all info to UT

> Southwestern in Dallas to get me on with a great doctor. It could

be

> weeks. Meanwhile, I've had pain and anxiousness, and the need for

> information. I have been back to PCP, but he does not want to

order

> a scan knowing how much I've been radiated. He told me to watch

for

> signs of a blood clot. I guess I would go to the emergency room

with

> extreme pain. I don't know about exercise, breathing exercises,

food

> to eat, how to sleep at night to maximize breathing, or how to

quit

> obsessing about dying in the next ten years. This has been like a

new

> full-time job. I have friends and some family, but feel like I'm

on a

> downward spiral.

>

> If you've read to the end here, bless your caring heart! I am an

> English teacher on steroids, so I wrote a lot! Thanks so much for

any

> advice, prayers, direction you can throw my way.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> K

> Central Il

> Hubby ipf- 2006

> As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

> 14

>

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG. Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 269.23.21/1456 - Release Date: 5/20/2008 6:45 AM

Guest guest

K...Chances are good that Don being around the haying and dirt/dust could be the cause. Every 'talk' I hear and my pulmonologist says, hay is a certain factor. But as we are saying....he has it, and as of now, regretfully, there is no cure. Not even much treatment. I'm sorry you deal with that . I know how hard it is for my family to accept that there is 'nothing' that can be done. They just can't believe it!

Hang on,

Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR. Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

So glad I've found you all!Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 20:44:30 -0000

Dear lovely people,My name is and I just turned 52. I live in Mansfield, TX and I'm a 6th grade teacher in my last three weeks of school. My story is long and I'm hoping one of you can give me some help and guidance. I am great at giving the same, and hope that I can reciprocate in the future.I've been reading hundreds of past posts for two days seeking answers I wasn't given in this miserable month since diagnosis. In Jan.2007, I had a major coughing spell and had a breathing treatment the night of my dad's visitation at the funeral home. Not having a regular doctor at the time, I went to one of those "doc-in-the box" places where I liked the doctor. Then, last summer, I had a horrible cough and fever twice and was diagnosed by the same doctor both times with bronchitis and put on antibiotics. She never would do a chest X-ray. Flash forward to Dec. '07 when the cough came back in spades. I had also started losing weight. I went to another clinic and had X-rays, but no pneumonia. Repeat of this in early January. I did get a couple of asthma sprays, cough meds w/codiene, and nose spray, but coughed day and night. By March, I finally made an appointment with a "good" doctor. He also went the allergy route on the treatment, even though I said I'd had fever many times. I had lost 20 lbs. since November '07. By mid-March, I came in demanding that I needed help. He X-rayed me and said I had pneumonia (same DRY cough) More antibiotics, one horrible drug reaction to Cipro, and probably more damage done. Two weeks more and I went back for a follow-up. I said to him that I thought I had Lupus (my internet research) because I was having numb fingers, (Reynaud's, I now know)weight loss, and coughing. No, he said. Then...he did an X-ray, heard the crackles, came back in stricken looking. He said I might be looking at an autoimmune disease and interstitial lung disease or some infiltrates. WHAT????? Can't anybody see this on X-rays?? He got me in for a sinus scan and set an appt. with a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist ran a RA panel and I tested high in the whole panel, but I only seem to have symtom's of Sjogren's. I had 84% pulmonary functioning. I then had a CT done and an asthma test(of course, negative). This doctor was the worst! He read the CT scan for the first time in my presence (had it two days) and didn't happen to see "severe pulmonary fibrosis" or just didn't care enough. No treatment plan was given, no information except lung scarring from autoimmune disease. He stood the whole time like he was in a hurry. He told me to see a rheumatologist as soon as possible. The next week when I saw her, the nurse read those words to us and I was shocked. I have been on prednisone for three weeks and feel like I have been thrown out in the water by the medical profession, totally in charge of figuring out what to do physically and mentally. The pulmonologist has since left the location, cancelled all appointments, and in his new location has appointments in June. My PCP has sent all info to UT Southwestern in Dallas to get me on with a great doctor. It could be weeks. Meanwhile, I've had pain and anxiousness, and the need for information. I have been back to PCP, but he does not want to order a scan knowing how much I've been radiated. He told me to watch for signs of a blood clot. I guess I would go to the emergency room with extreme pain. I don't know about exercise, breathing exercises, food to eat, how to sleep at night to maximize breathing, or how to quit obsessing about dying in the next ten years. This has been like a new full-time job. I have friends and some family, but feel like I'm on a downward spiral.If you've read to the end here, bless your caring heart! I am an English teacher on steroids, so I wrote a lot! Thanks so much for any advice, prayers, direction you can throw my way.

K

Central Il

Hubby ipf- 2006

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG. Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 269.23.20/1453 - Release Date: 5/18/2008 9:31 AM

K

Central Il

Hubby ipf- 2006

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Guest guest

> >

> > Hi ,

> > I too am 52 and was an 8th grade English teacher until I quit 2

years ago after my biopsy. My story is incredibly similar to yours.

Coughed so much in my classroom I couldn't speak after 3rd period

each day. Had several bouts of bronchitis, incredible fatigue,seem

to be at the doctor's constantly and no one did an xray! I have

learned so much from everyone on this site, but mainly I think there

are no pat answers and since all of us react differently to food,

medications and exercise, you almost have to attack this disease

with the idea that you will try new things and discard them if they

don't work for you. Anyway, from one English teacher to another-

WELCOME! I am sorry you needed to join us, but so glad you did.

> >

> > Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 California

> >

> >

> > So glad I've found you all!

> > Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 20:44:30 -0000

> >

> > Dear lovely people,

> >

> > My name is and I just turned 52. I live in Mansfield, TX

and

> > I'm a 6th grade teacher in my last three weeks of school. My

story is

> > long and I'm hoping one of you can give me some help and

guidance. I

> > am great at giving the same, and hope that I can reciprocate in

the

> > future.

> >

> > I've been reading hundreds of past posts for two days seeking

answers

> > I wasn't given in this miserable month since diagnosis. In

Jan.2007,

> > I had a major coughing spell and had a breathing treatment the

night

> > of my dad's visitation at the funeral home. Not having a regular

> > doctor at the time, I went to one of those " doc-in-the box "

places

> > where I liked the doctor. Then, last summer, I had a horrible

cough

> > and fever twice and was diagnosed by the same doctor both times

with

> > bronchitis and put on antibiotics. She never would do a chest X-

ray.

> > Flash forward to Dec. '07 when the cough came back in spades. I

had

> > also started losing weight. I went to another clinic and had X-

rays,

> > but no pneumonia. Repeat of this in early January. I did get a

couple

> > of asthma sprays, cough meds w/codiene, and nose spray, but

coughed

> > day and night. By March, I finally made an appointment with

a " good "

> > doctor. He also went the allergy route on the treatment, even

though

> > I said I'd had fever many times. I had lost 20 lbs. since

> > November '07. By mid-March, I came in demanding that I needed

help.

> > He X-rayed me and said I had pneumonia (same DRY cough) More

> > antibiotics, one horrible drug reaction to Cipro, and probably

more

> > damage done. Two weeks more and I went back for a follow-up. I

said

> > to him that I thought I had Lupus (my internet research) because

I

> > was having numb fingers, (Reynaud's, I now know)weight loss, and

> > coughing. No, he said. Then...he did an X-ray, heard the

crackles,

> > came back in stricken looking. He said I might be looking at an

> > autoimmune disease and interstitial lung disease or some

infiltrates.

> > WHAT????? Can't anybody see this on X-rays?? He got me in for a

sinus

> > scan and set an appt. with a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist

ran a

> > RA panel and I tested high in the whole panel, but I only seem

to

> > have symtom's of Sjogren's. I had 84% pulmonary functioning. I

then

> > had a CT done and an asthma test(of course, negative). This

doctor

> > was the worst! He read the CT scan for the first time in my

presence

> > (had it two days) and didn't happen to see " severe pulmonary

> > fibrosis " or just didn't care enough. No treatment plan was

given, no

> > information except lung scarring from autoimmune disease. He

stood

> > the whole time like he was in a hurry. He told me to see a

> > rheumatologist as soon as possible. The next week when I saw

her, the

> > nurse read those words to us and I was shocked. I have been on

> > prednisone for three weeks and feel like I have been thrown out

in

> > the water by the medical profession, totally in charge of

figuring

> > out what to do physically and mentally. The pulmonologist has

since

> > left the location, cancelled all appointments, and in his new

> > location has appointments in June. My PCP has sent all info to

UT

> > Southwestern in Dallas to get me on with a great doctor. It

could be

> > weeks. Meanwhile, I've had pain and anxiousness, and the need

for

> > information. I have been back to PCP, but he does not want to

order

> > a scan knowing how much I've been radiated. He told me to watch

for

> > signs of a blood clot. I guess I would go to the emergency room

with

> > extreme pain. I don't know about exercise, breathing exercises,

food

> > to eat, how to sleep at night to maximize breathing, or how to

quit

> > obsessing about dying in the next ten years. This has been like

a new

> > full-time job. I have friends and some family, but feel like I'm

on a

> > downward spiral.

> >

> > If you've read to the end here, bless your caring heart! I am an

> > English teacher on steroids, so I wrote a lot! Thanks so much

for any

> > advice, prayers, direction you can throw my way.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > K

> > Central Il

> > Hubby ipf- 2006

> > As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

> > 14

> >

>

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

Wow what a nice family you have. That pie looked good enough to eat. What do you teach? K Illinois K Central Il Hubby ipf- 2006 As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord 14