RemedySpot.com

Pulmo Rehab

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I don't even think I could try half caf!! I am totally addicted to coffee!! First thing I do every morning and I have 3 to 4 cups EVERY morning!! Have been doing it for over 20 years. I think that would be even harder than quitting smoking, though I did manage to do that 10 years ago after smoking 2 packs per day for 10 years. I guess it's just the principle of the thing!! I just don't want to quit!! HEE HEE!!CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

Subject: RE: Re: Pulmo RehabTo: Breathe-Support Date: Wednesday, May 21, 2008, 9:35 PM

Caro, This is just the worst thing I've read here. No coffee! Just about the only thing that keeps me going. I don't think I could quit. What would Starbucks do with out me. My pulmonary rehab doesn't start til Jun 28.

Steve 60 from WA IPF 2006 Parkinsons 2008

Alzheimers 2008

From: "Barbara" <babsyphrett@ yahoo.com>Reply-To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSubject: Re: Pulmo RehabDate: Thu, 22 May 2008 00:00:15 -0000

Caro, maybe you could try the "half-caff" and see if you like it, andthen wean your way down to decaf....Hugs!Babs>> Hi all,> > Well, had my third visit today with pulmo rehab. I actually learned a > lot about how your lungs are SUPPOSED to function and how mine actually > function. Sats didn't drop today, but the nurse said my heart beats > too fast when I exercise. It got up to around 130, 135, which she said > was way too fast for the level of activity I was doing. She said they > will watch it a couple of more sessions and if it stays high, then they > will inform my pulmonologist. She said the majority of people who have > lung disease also have heart disease. I am thinking, great,

what > else? I did manage to go a little longer on the machines than I did on > Monday, just maybe 5 to 10 minutes more, and I did lose 2 pounds. She > said I need to give up caffeine because it is a stimulant and will make > my heart beat faster. She has GOT to be kidding? GIVE UP COFFEE?? NO > FRIGGIN WAY!!! and on that note, to quote Mama-Sher "DAMNIT!!!!"> > Caro>

Guest guest

Thanks Mama-Sher!! That makes me feel better, cuz I was definitely thinking "what else?" Glad to hear that maybe I don't need to worry, at least until I know something definite, which hopefully won't be the case. I am planning to walk this afternoon for a mile on the track and hopefully get in 30 minutes this morning on my Total Gym. Nurse told me yesterday that I HAVE TO EXERCISE AND STAY HEALTHY if I won't to prolong my life, so I went out yesterday and bought a bunch of fruits and veggies to hopefully kick start my FITNESS FOR LIFE (that is what she called it because she said exercise is an ugly word and we feel like it is work!!). She was really nice, though, and I really liked her. I am trying to get all the info I get on this disease while I am there. So far I am really glad I am doing this. Keep up the good work on your

treadmill!! I am walking right there with ya!!CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

Subject: Re: Pulmo RehabTo: Breathe-Support Date: Wednesday, May 21, 2008, 7:01 PM

Hear me talk! Caro....you are so funny! There are some things a girl just can't do huh. I drink coffee too but only 1-2 cups in the morning. If I'm out I usually have coffee but that's not often. Summer brings iced tea of course!

I wanted to give you a quick run-down on my 'heart problems' so you don't panic. Now of course, we can't compare..... let's hope you DO NOT HAVE any heart problems.

My heart too went haywire with exertion. When I was on the treadmill in rehab,my heart went into arrhythmia every time. It was so severe the RT would not let me continue. My pulse would jump to 110, 70s, 40, 30s, 110, 80s, 110.......long story short. I have had a heart cath, blood work, 24 heart monitor and an Echogram. My heart is fine! I have skipped beats but because of all the workups, not to worry, even tho I still have symptoms. (Wonder how anyone would know then if I was in heart distress??)

Anyway, point is, don't panic and worry about heart problems. Heart can be worked up to dx. Cardiologist says lung problems CAN bring stress to the heart but not so that I'll fall over dead!

I disagree that lung disease/heart disease go together. But you have good medical care and listen to them, Just wanted to add my results after worrying about my heart.

You're right. No coffee? DAMNIT!

hugs.

Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR. Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Pulmo Rehab

Hi all,Well, had my third visit today with pulmo rehab. I actually learned a lot about how your lungs are SUPPOSED to function and how mine actually function. Sats didn't drop today, but the nurse said my heart beats too fast when I exercise. It got up to around 130, 135, which she said was way too fast for the level of activity I was doing. She said they will watch it a couple of more sessions and if it stays high, then they will inform my pulmonologist. She said the majority of people who have lung disease also have heart disease. I am thinking, great, what else? I did manage to go a little longer on the machines than I did on Monday, just maybe 5 to 10 minutes more, and I did lose 2 pounds. She said I need to give up caffeine because it is a stimulant and will make my heart beat faster. She has GOT to be kidding? GIVE UP COFFEE?? NO FRIGGIN WAY!!! and on that note, to quote Mama-Sher

"DAMNIT!!!!"Caro

Guest guest

Caro,

You're doing great!!! It's great the changes you're making sound alot like the kinds of things I've been doing. And you know it does matter what we call it. Calling it "diet and exercise" just carries so much negative crap for me. Calling it 'putting myself first' or 'putting me at the top of my list' just feels better doesn't it? We have to look after ourselves so that we extend our lives and not just for the sake of living longer but living longer well...feeling good and able to do things we love for as long as possible.

My heart rate goes up alot when I exercise, up into the 130's but I've been tested and examined and poked and prodded and my heart is fine. I get on the treadmill, use the nutty amount of oxygen I need so my sats stay up and don't worry about it.

Saturday morning I'm going for the first time to a local farmers market. I'm looking forward to going and purchasing some fresh locally grown produce and meat. Have two advantages, good for me and helps local farmers, something near and dear to my heart.

Don't feel too badly about the coffee. I'm a two cup a day girl and I'm not giving it up. I've given up alot of things but I draw the line at my coffee. They'll have to pry the mug out of my cold dead hand. LOL

Beth

Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

Change everything. Love and Forgive

Pulmo Rehab

Hi all,Well, had my third visit today with pulmo rehab. I actually learned a lot about how your lungs are SUPPOSED to function and how mine actually function. Sats didn't drop today, but the nurse said my heart beats too fast when I exercise. It got up to around 130, 135, which she said was way too fast for the level of activity I was doing. She said they will watch it a couple of more sessions and if it stays high, then they will inform my pulmonologist. She said the majority of people who have lung disease also have heart disease. I am thinking, great, what else? I did manage to go a little longer on the machines than I did on Monday, just maybe 5 to 10 minutes more, and I did lose 2 pounds. She said I need to give up caffeine because it is a stimulant and will make my heart beat faster. She has GOT to be kidding? GIVE UP COFFEE?? NO FRIGGIN WAY!!! and on that note, to quote Mama-Sher

"DAMNIT!!!!"Caro

Guest guest

So well said!! I totally agree. I AM NOT GIVIN UP MY COFFEE!!! I hope you enjoy your trip to the Farmers Market. Sounds like a lot of fun. I wish we had one here. When I lived in , we had one but they don't have anything like that here. You would think they would, being that this is mostly a farm city, huh?CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

From: Sher Bauman <bofuswbcable (DOT) net>Subject: Re: Pulmo RehabTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, May 21, 2008, 7:01 PM

Hear me talk! Caro....you are so funny! There are some things a girl just can't do huh. I drink coffee too but only 1-2 cups in the morning. If I'm out I usually have coffee but that's not often. Summer brings iced tea of course!

I wanted to give you a quick run-down on my 'heart problems' so you don't panic. Now of course, we can't compare..... let's hope you DO NOT HAVE any heart problems.

My heart too went haywire with exertion. When I was on the treadmill in rehab,my heart went into arrhythmia every time. It was so severe the RT would not let me continue. My pulse would jump to 110, 70s, 40, 30s, 110, 80s, 110.......long story short. I have had a heart cath, blood work, 24 heart monitor and an Echogram. My heart is fine! I have skipped beats but because of all the workups, not to worry, even tho I still have symptoms. (Wonder how anyone would know then if I was in heart distress??)

Anyway, point is, don't panic and worry about heart problems. Heart can be worked up to dx. Cardiologist says lung problems CAN bring stress to the heart but not so that I'll fall over dead!

I disagree that lung disease/heart disease go together. But you have good medical care and listen to them, Just wanted to add my results after worrying about my heart.

You're right. No coffee? DAMNIT!

hugs.

Mama-Sher, age 69.IPF 3/06, NSIP 4/08 OR. Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Pulmo Rehab

"DAMNIT!!!!"Caro

Guest guest

I'm not a bit coffee drinker, but I do like a good cup of tea, well I am English So when I go into hospital I take my big tea mug. The pokey little plastic cups they put the tea in in some hospitals is simply not enough!

So there!

Love Ze xx

Guest guest

Went for another pulmo rehab visit today. My sats didn't drop but

she said my heart rate is still too high. She made me sit and rest

afterwards before I could leave. My weight has dropped from 143 to

139-1/2 today. I am so excited about that!! I would really LOVE to

get to around 120 or 125. It is so hard to lose weight when you

don't feel good anyway most of the time. Had a sore throat all day

yesterday and have this heavy feeling in my chest today with a

productive cough. I got on the exercise bike and broke out in a

sweat so bad they had to get me a towel! How embarrassing!! Only

after 10 minutes. The nurses were great, though, and I don't think

they were really worried about the way I looked, but I was!! They

sent us home with homework -- actually it is just practicing

breathing and we have to write down when we do it and how often.

Don't have to go back 'till Wednesday due to holiday, so hopefully I

can keep the weight off I have already lost. I have to work Monday,

so won't be doing any holiday cooking, so that should help. Guess

they will be telling my pulmo soon and I will have to go get the ole

ticker checked out. GREAT!! Birmingham is only a little over 3

weeks away.

Caro

Guest guest

Caro,

Don't worry about the sweating...I had to get a towel before I started cause I would sweat so much. By the time I got off the treadmill in rehab I looked as though I had just gotten out of the shower. It was GROSS!! But no one thought anything about it but me.

I'm so happy you're having a good rehab experience!

Beth

Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

Change everything. Love and Forgive

Pulmo Rehab

Went for another pulmo rehab visit today. My sats didn't drop but she said my heart rate is still too high. She made me sit and rest afterwards before I could leave. My weight has dropped from 143 to 139-1/2 today. I am so excited about that!! I would really LOVE to get to around 120 or 125. It is so hard to lose weight when you don't feel good anyway most of the time. Had a sore throat all day yesterday and have this heavy feeling in my chest today with a productive cough. I got on the exercise bike and broke out in a sweat so bad they had to get me a towel! How embarrassing! ! Only after 10 minutes. The nurses were great, though, and I don't think they were really worried about the way I looked, but I was!! They sent us home with homework -- actually it is just practicing breathing and we have to write down when we do it and how often. Don't have to go back 'till Wednesday due to holiday, so

hopefully I can keep the weight off I have already lost. I have to work Monday, so won't be doing any holiday cooking, so that should help. Guess they will be telling my pulmo soon and I will have to go get the ole ticker checked out. GREAT!! Birmingham is only a little over 3 weeks away.Caro

Guest guest

Hi Caro, If I were you I would call and talk with your Dr about productive cough, sweating, weakness.  Pneumonia has to be guarded against.  Peggy, ipf 6/04 Florida  ♡Happy moments, praise God.Difficult moments, seek God.Quiet moments, worship God.Painful moments, trust God.Every moment, thank God. Went for another pulmo rehab visit today. My sats didn't drop but she said my heart rate is still too high. She made me sit and rest afterwards before I could leave. My weight has dropped from 143 to 139-1/2 today. I am so excited about that!! I would really LOVE to get to around 120 or 125. It is so hard to lose weight when you don't feel good anyway most of the time. Had a sore throat all day yesterday and have this heavy feeling in my chest today with a productive cough. I got on the exercise bike and broke out in a sweat so bad they had to get me a towel! How embarrassing!! Only after 10 minutes. The nurses were great, though, and I don't think they were really worried about the way I looked, but I was!! They sent us home with homework -- actually it is just practicing breathing and we have to write down when we do it and how often. Don't have to go back 'till Wednesday due to holiday, so hopefully I can keep the weight off I have already lost. I have to work Monday, so won't be doing any holiday cooking, so that should help. Guess they will be telling my pulmo soon and I will have to go get the ole ticker checked out. GREAT!! Birmingham is only a little over 3 weeks away.Caro