Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 01/10/2002 10:28:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,

bethanybohrer@... writes:

<< has

anyone had serious trouble with constipation? >>

Beth:

Yes, my son has serious constipation issues although it is a motility issue

as the stools are diarreha but just don't move.

He has been on miralax for a few years with enemas a few times a week. The

enemas are helpful as well.

Michele

> << has

> anyone had serious trouble with constipation? >>

> Beth:

Our daughter also has severe constipation, we control it by using Lactulose

(RX) daily, and the occasional suppository.

Patti

Beth, while Chelsea has never had a major problem with constipation, I

noticed brewer's yeast made her stools softer. I think V-8 did the same thing

too(probably all the cellulose). I have also hear DMG, N-Dimethylglycine, a

natural food product supplement has helped. Both from the Savage's from this

list and a mom of an autistic son from a school support group. DMG is fairly

cheap, found at health supply stores and has NO harful side effects and

cannot be overdosed on.

BTW, I notice adding B vitamins to her diet made her constipated.

e, Chelsea's mom(non-specific mito)

Our son (6yrs - mito complex IV) had major problems with constipation when he was younger (including bleeding and regular use of suppositories) when he was young. After major dietary changes (as per the attached), he has had no problems for years.

Regards,

& Savage.

Constipation-NEED HELP!!!

Hi everyone, as well as posting often about my son's eating issues, has anyone had serious trouble with constipation? Cameron started becoming constipated after he was on ACTH for seizures last January 2000. We have tried a bunch of different things. His Pediatrician prescribed him Enulose Syrup, which worked like a charm, but gave him a severe stomachache and he would not eat, drink, or sleep. Then his Ped. wanted us to resort to natural remedies, like juice (prune), mineral oil, kero syrup. Now seemed to work. At this time he was still "going" on his own, but it was only once or twice a week. When I notice it getting hard for him to "go" I would him glycerin suppositories, which did the trick. I would know when it was time for this when he would start to become moody, very antsy (will not sit still), and would arch his back. Most of the time he will not go to bed until this was done. Now since his eating issues (only liquids-mainly PediaSure-NO solids at all), he cannot go on his own. He strains so hard and I am afraid that if I use suppositories too much he will become dependent on them. Is that possible? Tonight, after watching him strain and his little face turns bright red, I gave him a suppository. 5 minutes later he "goes," but at the end I saw traces of blood. I am freaking, what could this mean? Should I call his Doctor? His poop is so HARD and it looks so painful when he "goes," how can I get "it" to be looser? Any home remedies that I haven't already resorted too? So to get so graphic!! Beth and Cameron Please contact mito-owner with any problems or questions.

My son, Seth, suffers from severe constipation. He has had 4 Golytely cleanouts (hospitalizations where they place an NG tube and flush this Golytely solution through until you are cleaned out! usually 1 - 2 days). We do not have it under control yet and he uses Miralax and Lactulose. I have bad GI problems, too. Gee - wonder if it is related... ugh

, mom to Seth and Ben (COQ10 deficiency)

Beth wrote: has anyone had serious trouble with constipation?

Dates from the date palm tree makes nice poop. Eat about 4 per day.

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:38:38 -0600 "debbrownsold" writes:

Beth and Cameron--

When was a baby (after several trips to the ER because of his level of distress) a Gramma person in our lives suggested we get MaltSoup Extract from our local drugstore. It's natural barley malt (looks like dark Karo) we put a tablespoon in liquid once a day and shazam.......

Good Luck,

Deb

Constipation-NEED HELP!!!

Hi everyone, as well as posting often about my son's eating issues, has anyone had serious trouble with constipation? Cameron started becoming constipated after he was on ACTH for seizures last January 2000. We have tried a bunch of different things. His Pediatrician prescribed him Enulose Syrup, which worked like a charm, but gave him a severe stomachache and he would not eat, drink, or sleep. Then his Ped. wanted us to resort to natural remedies, like juice (prune), mineral oil, kero syrup. Now seemed to work. At this time he was still "going" on his own, but it was only once or twice a week. When I notice it getting hard for him to "go" I would him glycerin suppositories, which did the trick. I would know when it was time for this when he would start to become moody, very antsy (will not sit still), and would arch his back. Most of the time he will not go to bed until this was done. Now since his eating issues (only liquids-mainly PediaSure-NO solids at all), he cannot go on his own. He strains so hard and I am afraid that if I use suppositories too much he will become dependent on them. Is that possible? Tonight, after watching him strain and his little face turns bright red, I gave him a suppository. 5 minutes later he "goes," but at the end I saw traces of blood. I am freaking, what could this mean? Should I call his Doctor? His poop is so HARD and it looks so painful when he "goes," how can I get "it" to be looser? Any home remedies that I haven't already resorted too? So to get so graphic!! Beth and Cameron Please contact mito-owner with any problems or questions.

Beth,

Lexi has suffered from cyclical constipation since she was 8 months old. We, too, tried almost everything...glycerine in her bottle, suppositories, etc. Now, we use Miralax, prescribed by the pediatrician. It is a powder that we easily mix in with her juices or milk, no taste, no odor, and let me tell you, it WORKS! It's also very easy to adjust the dose once you get Cameron regulated. She has been using it for over 2 years now and we are slowly weaning her off. I am letting her try to go on her own, and only supplementing when she begins a cycle of constipation again. It might well be worth talking to your pediatrician about.

ruth for the hilandgang